Glee Recap: Nobody Said It Was Easy

Get More: Glee, Recaps

will emma glee break upIf you haven’t watched this week’s Glee, abandon this URL immédiatement! Everyone else, keep on reading and let’s get this discussion percolatin’!

Please forgive any typos or errors in this week’s Glee recap. “Allergies” seem to be making my eyes all watery, and no amount of dabbing is stopping this unfortunate display of “waterworks.”

Okay, okay…I ‘fess up! “The Break Up,” the fourth episode of Season 4, left me shattered. A wreck. Depressed. Despondent. With a mean case of the blues. Positively cream-crackered. But — I have to add — in the best possible way.

RELATED | Exclusive: Glee Boss Previews ‘Break-Up’ Fallout, Promises ‘Nothing Is Set in Stone’ – Plus: Cory Monteith ‘Sad and Nostalgic’ in Episode’s Wake

Sure, it wasn’t easy watching the show’s four central couples get pulled apart at the seams by infidelity, distance, changing life goals, expectations of obedient puppydom, and occasional indifference (nobody said it would be). But life and — let’s be honest — good television are often as much about heartache and hard choices as they are about happiness and good fortune. (And oh, those flashback scenes! THOSE FLASHBACK SCENES, I SAY!)

But let me back up for a moment. In case you were too busy reading up on “The Blue Ribbon Panel to Improve Arts Education,” here’s what you missed on Glee. (For the record, I’m going to try to give the rundown on what happened with each couple in five sentences or less — then weigh in on how successful/realistic the action actually was.)

RACHEL AND FINN | The morning after Finn’s arrival interrupted Rachel and Brody’s first kiss, Finn revealed he’d been semi-honorably discharged from the army for shooting himself in the thigh, but then avoided contacting Rachel because he felt like a “Lima loser” with no direction in life. Rachel brought Finn to all her NYADA classes in an effort to inspire him with a new direction, and then to the piano bar Callbacks for karaoke night, but things got tense when Finn declined to sing and encouraged Rachel to duet with Brody on a Demi Lovato song (nice X Factor cross-promotional synergy there). On the way home, Rachel finally admitted she and Brody had kissed — just once! — and the next morning, Finn fled the apartment and headed back to Ohio, without so much as a goodbye to the girlfriend he’d abandoned for the previous four months. Rachel hopped a plane and hunted him down, and after revealing how she’d hated him for giving her her wings in the Season 3 finale, she’d eventually realized, “This is what a man looks like. This is how a man loves.” Despite that, his lack of communication and all-around aimlessness made Rachel realize they couldn’t be together, at least for now.

Personally, I bought everything about this breakup — from Finn’s devastation that Rachel kissed another guy in the process of finding herself, to Rachel admitting that after four months with no communication, she’d taken it as a hint to move on. (The only thing I didn’t buy was Brody lurking behind the New Directions’ table during Blaine’s tearful “Teenage Dream.” Get a clue, dude!) Whether or not these two crazy kids are destined to be together, it’s clear that Finn is in no position to make anyone else happy — let alone himself — till he figures out what he wants to do with his life. It was sweet that Rachel tried to help her man find a plan in NYC, but self-discovery isn’t about fitting into someone else’s dream. It’s about defining your own. And if Rachel is still available once Finn conquers his insecurities — can we acknowledge that good, successful people can be found anywhere…even in Lima?! — maybe they’ll still have a shot. As Rachel so devastatingly put it, “You are my first love, and I want more than anything for you to be my last love, but I can’t do this anymore. We’re done.” Correct!

KURT AND BLAINE | Blaine continued to feel ignored as Kurt explored his fabulous new life in NYC, and who could blame him when his “I love you” was met with a stinging dialtone? The erstwhile Warbler found distraction by flirtatiously text-messaging with a guy named “Eli C,” and then suddenly arrived in NYC for a suprise visit, where he gave an awkwardly mournful rendition of “Teenage Dream” at Callbacks. (Kurt’s response — “You’re so emotional and weirdly sad — please stop pretending there’s nothing wrong” — was pitch perfect.) Blaine eventually admitted he’d strayed — “It didn’t mean anything. It was just a hookup, okay?” he cried. “I was lonely and I’m really sorry.” — leaving Kurt feeling like he was “gonna die.” Mr. Hummel, though, got in “to the left, to the left” mode, tossing Blaine’s “forgive me” note into the trash when a bouquet of flowers landed on his desk at work.

Again, this trip to Splitsville seemed very well-handled, and realistically telegraphed. Blaine is a nice, bowtie-wearing prepster, sure, but he’s also a randy high-school senior who was getting almost entirely ignored by a boyfriend who’d fled their small-town life and wasn’t making any long-term plans to come back. What’s more, as we saw last season in his flirtation with Sebastian, Mr. Anderson hasn’t always had a one-track eye (even if he isn’t always full aware of the fact). And furthermore, as hurt as Kurt seemed by Blaine’s infidelity, I can’t help but wonder if he didn’t feel a sense of relief. With his new job, new city, and the promise of endless new experiences, it seemed like those texts and Skype sessions with his old beau were more out of obligation than desire, no? I just wished we’d had a scene or two explaining the emergence of this mystery Eli. Is he a McKinley student? A glee clubber from another district? Inquiring minds want to know if he’s hot or not.

BRITTANY AND SANTANA | Santana returned to Lima to do her laundry and discovered Brittany was reading Desecration: Antichrist Takes the Throne, the ninth book in the Left Behind series, as part of her involvement with a new religious group at McKinley. Agreeing to attend one of the meetings at Breadstix, Santana watched as mean-girl Kitty staged a rapture hoax on an unsuspecting underclassman, but it inevitably led to Brittany admitting she’d been feeling left behind and hurt by her girlfriend’s move to college. After an emotional, intimate rendition rendition of “Mine” in the choir room, Santana told Brittany she didn’t want them to become one of those long-distance couples who hang in there for a few months, then “break up when someone eventually cheats or things get weird.” (“I would never cheat on you,” Brittany responded with incredible haste and heatbreaking earnestness.) But Santana, insisting it wasn’t “an official breakup,” reasoned they should “just do the mature thing here” and give each other space, even though, as she put it (activating my tear ducts in the process), “You know I will always love you the most.”

Brittana was probably the least fleshed-out of the breakups this week, but for me, it was also the saddest. Maybe that’s because I can’t help but feel that whip-smart Santana, in her new life at college, will only grow further and further estranged from Brit in the years to come. There’s always been something young and innocent about the connection between these Cheerios, but intellectually and emotionally, Brittany simply isn’t a match for Santana right now. Looking at the week’s three breakups, I’d deem this one Least Likely to Get Back Together. (Just please, don’t let it lead to Brittany covering Taylor Swift’s latest single. I love that song, if I’m being honest, but no.) And who’d have thunk Brittany would be the one to verbalize what Santana couldn’t bring herself to say: “This sounds a lot like a breakup to me.” Mmm-hmm.

WILL AND EMMA | Good news, Wemma fans, the enagement still appears to be on. (I think?) But Will weirdly assumed that Emma would take a sabbatical from her job and join him in DC when he went to work on “The Blue Ribbon Panel to Improve Arts Education” — Oh Em Gee, Schue, stop spelling it out! — and she was not having it, informing her man that she wasn’t about to sit around in a hotel room while he went off and fulfilled his dreams. “This is not that I’m afraid of losing my job. It’s that I like my job,” Emma said, indignant. (Preach, sister!) And when Will insisted they still needed to talk through their decision, Emma dropped this icy (and brilliant) retort: “We just did. You just don’t like what I have to say!”

KITTY AND JAKE | Don’t burst into tears all at once, folks, but Puckerman 2.0 dumped Nasty McBitchytongue after she made fun of Marley’s mom again.

And with that, let’s recount the episode’s best zinger (we’ll keep it to one, since comedy mostly took the week off):

* “I mean, I’m not jealous. I just think it’s insane that all Porcelain had to do to get an internship at Vogue.com is take photos of every ridiculous outfit he’s ever paired with a Cossack hat and a see-through raincoat, and then show up at an interview where he’s lauded as a visionary because his jodhpurs happen to match his riding crop.” –Santana, speaking for everyone everytime everywhere while discussing Kurt’s new job

Before I hand things off to you, let me also grade this week’s musical numbers:

* Blaine and Finn, “Barely Breathing”: A- (Finn sounded great, no?)

* Rachel and Brody, “Give Your Heart a Break”: A (not an endorsement of this duo, but dang they gave the song an upgrade!)

* Blaine, “Teenage Dream”: N/A (How can I grade something I wasn’t really supposed to enjoy? Sniff.)

* Finn, Rachel, Kurt, and Blaine, “Don’t Speak”: B- (Didn’t pop for me emotionally, given how much s— was going down as it was sung)

* Santana, “Mine”: B+

* Finn, Rachel, Blaine, Kurt, Santana, Brittany, Will and Emma: “The Scientist”: A (Yowza, the flashbacks to our couples’ first meetings/kisses were really perfectly selected and placed.)

And with that, it’s your turn. What did you think of “The Break Up”? Whose problems hit you hardest? Which split made the most sense? And which one (if any) didn’t make any sense at all? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

Tags: ,

Comments (283)

• Oh God Klaine is OVER!!!!

Comment by Kris – October 4, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana is love! can not break!

Comment by lutrova – October 4, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRITTANA IS LOVE… IS THE BEST

Comment by lutrova – October 4, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittany and Santana had the most emotional Scenes this Episode, they are on the first place to deserve to get back together, their love is the most realistic love on the show, everything is perfect about Brittana, their Love is magical, they have the chemistry like on one else!

Comment by Songbird – October 4, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You don’t need an entire episode to make people emotional. You just need Heather and Naya and their chemistry to make everyone sad. Brittana is love and maybe this isn’t the time for them to be together. But their love is EPIC MAN EPIC! they need to ended up together I’m done with Glee if they don’t.

How incredible was Heather on that scene?! AMAZING.

Comment by Cami – October 4, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Brittana to get back together. Seriously I don’t even understand, they only had 6 minutes of conversation with each other last season and now this?!!

Comment by Nac – October 4, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was Glee. It was sad, but it’s the first time I’ve actually been invested in episode all year. I finally see where they’re going. Cory was amazing as Finn. Lea and Cory need to do scenes together all of the time. They have chemistry. :)

Comment by Heather – October 4, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote your articles least likely for me to ever read again. Brittana will get back together.

Comment by Maranda – October 4, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn is DEAD TO ME. You ignore her for months, wander back into her life, then sneak out the door in the middle of the night because she had the audacity to kiss (just kiss!) a guy when she thought that maaaaaaybe your complete disregard for her meant she should move on? DEAD. TO. ME.

Comment by April – October 4, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But the questions is, is he dead to Rachel? This is a TV show and Lea and Cory are its main leads. Figures something else will happen between them along the way.

Comment by Mike – October 5, 2012 01:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finchel and Klaine were the ones to break up that I want to be over for good. Because everything Rachel said to Finn about how she’ll always be a moon eyed girl over him shows that IMO as of right now they can’t have an adult relationship. Not until she learns to be a woman with Finn and not a little girl and not until Finn really learns to be a man, as she pointed out that the way he acted after putting her on a train was not how a man would act.

I actually thought this episode with the way Rachel was with Finn, throwing herself all over him, not telling him about Brody straight away and instead going straight back into ‘happy couple’ mode with Finn, clinging to Finn and being dependent on him, showed the flaws in her character, not her strengths. The end scene showed her strengths, and that she should IMO be single for now, and that she should seriously consider not going back to Finn.

And Finn needs to learn a lot if he can ever be with Rachel and not just see her as his shining light but as his equal.

So for now I really hope unless a lot changes, Finchel is over for good.

Klaine too.

Comment by Emma – October 4, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lea michele was flawless on this episode

Comment by so good – October 4, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agreed. The singing, the acting, everything!

Comment by D – October 4, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And also: “but intellectually and emotionally, Brittany simply isn’t a match for Santana right now” that sounds BAD and TERRIBLE.

GTFO you like them online when they were “slutty cheerleaders” ..GTFO

Comment by Cami – October 4, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittany and Santana are perfect for each other.

Comment by hannah – October 4, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana is Love. <3

Comment by Fighter – October 4, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana, okay I think they are the couple who will work this thing out. I think they handled their situation the BEST. Brittana is endgame, get it right TVLine. Get it right.

Comment by ashley – October 4, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana 4ever. <3

Comment by Fighter – October 4, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • brittana is love I hope they get back together they are soulmates.<3

Comment by Jill – October 4, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana is the one true love. <3

Comment by Fighter – October 4, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • u know what, I don’t like u!!! glee sucks and u too!!!! BRITTANA doesn’t deserve this show!!! they are two good characters… and u could write better reviews, U make me wanna go to sleep!!!

Comment by Nati – October 4, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are u serious? Kurt hanging up on Blaine b/c he was busy at work justifies his cheating? wtf

Comment by wendy – October 4, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i teared up a bit! even with finnchel, i almost cried. I mean sure I love Brody and I would love to see them together but I felt bad fro brody, . i mean Rachel made out with him and then finn shows up! I hope Finn finds himself and both Rachel and finn finds the ones they’re meant to be with whether it’s with each other or it’s rachel and brody and finn and another girl! same with kurt and blaine.1 perhaps the guy who he was talking to at the end, will be eli? or a new love interest? and i hope brittana makes it too!

Comment by teamedwardjace – October 4, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kurt was talking to Chase, a guy who works at Vogue.com. We have never seen Eli and I hope we never do. I would rather not see who Blaine cheated with and broke Kurt’s heart in the process (and mine too for that matter).

Comment by Kay – October 5, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your bias shows dude every tme you write up about Brittana they can and will make get back together they are soulmates,, Brittana is love and they are still in love with each other

Comment by Brittanalover – October 4, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was also extremely satisfied when Jake dumped kitte who is a major you know what. She’s christian and so am I, but she’s really not that nice. i really want to see marley and jake together. Also I do kind want to see sam and britany get together. againn i hope britanny , sam and santa all the finds the people they’re supposed to be with( by the return on britanna or sam and britney get together and santana finds someone)

Comment by teamedwardjace – October 4, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG please NO. I don’t need to see a siblings pairing AGAIN after Fabrevans (in fact now I think of it, even Fabrevans feels less bro/sis than Sam and Brittany would be, and that’s saying something).
      Also, Brittany and Sam would AGAIN sustain the “bi girl goes back to guys” trope. We’ve seen that like a billion time on tv, it’s everywhere! Just no. You know what would truly be new? The exact opposite. Two girls making it, without a guy in the middle especially with one being bi. THAT would be unprecedented (oh wait, Buffy did. Like 10 years ago). Is Glee the show for that? I have no idea. But they do have the opportunity. It’s up to them now.

Come on Glee, show me what you got.

Besides, Brittana is LOVE. I don’t know how a loving couple like without real problems can be broken up in the first place. They had no valid reason to split. At all.

Comment by Alex – October 4, 2012 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the least likely to get back together is Klaine (i like them I’m just saying) Because Blaine CHEATED! Most likely are finchel because they are the shows main couple and Brittana because the show itself has hinted at them being soulmates and they’ve had very few problems in their relationship. The only issue is being apart for them. Even given the distance their split is a bit random. To me their relationship hiatus is the most shocking.

Comment by Zhenya – October 4, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Em Gee! I sobbed all through Teenage Dream. I hope Darren Criss puts that on his Emmy reel. Heartbreaking.

Comment by Shannon – October 4, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please. If Naya couldn’t get an Emmy nomination then Darren hasn’t got a hope in hell.

Comment by stacy's mom – October 5, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s just give a hand to Rachel and Emma for finally standing up and telling Finn and Will exactly where they messed up.

Also “Mine” was the saddest thing I’ve ever seen because of their facial expressions. They did a great job with what LITTLE time they had (welcome back Naya!). With Snix back in the mix, I still have hope for some Santana in New York stuff. But I will always love Brittana so I do want them to get back together.

I’ve said this before, Finn needs to grow the hell up before he can be where Rachel is. He never had a dream, he never really wanted to look for that dream and he settled for the first thing that he could think of. And he still thinks Rachel will be the one thing he needs to feel special.

Rachel on the other hand as at a place (has ALWAYS been at a place) where she knows exactly what she wants. She can’t strive for her dream and find one for Finn at the same time, which was why Finchel was always such a toxic relationship.

So that’s why it’s a #FinchelForNever for me.

Comment by snix – October 4, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People please you all get closure and you still complain. How in hell do the most dysfunctional couple in GLEEs history (Rachel and Finn) compel people to blindness. They dedicate a whole episode to the white couples in GLEE who broke up and we get less than a snippet about the couples of color who had solid relationships but could not be given even 15 minutes of film time to discuss what happened to them (forget that Mercedes and Sam have not even been mentioned at all in 4 episodes figments of our imagination from Season 3 I guess duh!) at least they gave Mike and Tina about 3 lines of concern to drop a possible hint of what happened to them. Of course RM is feeling good because you all are buying this crap and sobbing about this terrible writing and storylines (no consistency; yes some of remember what happened as far back as 2 seasons ago. People state that GLEE was changing lives and discussing ideas about being accepting but as soon as they pair the Mercedes character (yes people character) with a guy who doesn’t look like her (Sam, also a character) all hell breaks loose in the fandom and other places (people refuse to accept that they had chemistry and were cute together because of bigotry and GLEE failed to take a stand and defend them they just caved). GLEE even stated that TIKE would try their long distance relationship. People if you really believe GLEE still stands for what you thought it did take the blinders off and realize that your prejudices and judgmental attitudes destroyed 2 of the best, most believable, and most stable couples (TIKE and SAMCEDES) so the show could pander to its white audience (and yes I am white/caucasian however you want to label me and most of you do label and judge (shame on you)) and keep tuning in. GLEE sort of once upon a time was inclusive now its exclusive requiring you to be white if you want any screen time or lasting relationship. Sad times now and ahead for GLEE if it continues down this path. Remember when GLEE was about a bunch of kids looking to fit in and be special and not just props to Rachel, Kurt and Finn.

Comment by ANN – October 4, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am white as well, and I agree 110% with everything that you just said. I couldn’t have said it better myself.
      #Gleefanssuck.

Comment by Canadian_JBS – October 4, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittanna all the way. Totally not watching anymore if they aren’t together. Get it together Ryan!

Comment by wick – October 4, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i cant believe the show broke up FINCHEL the one and only couplei cared about they were so perfect for each other why??????? i feel like ive watched so many hours of this show wanting desperetly for them to be together for ever i deserve to see them together!!!

Comment by Jess – October 4, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They left the door wide open for Finn and Rachel to reunite. Rachel said “I can’t do this anymore, at least now now.”

Comment by Kay – October 5, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • excuse but since s3 its pretty obvious they just don’t work. they relationship is forced

Comment by JR – October 8, 2012 12:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, if only Glee could produce episodes like that (except a little more “gleeful”) on a more regular basis. Soooo good to see Cory Monteith back. The auditorium scene with Finn and Rachel was amazing. Lea killed it. I can’t wait to see Finn sort himself out and figure out that there’s something out there for him. I just hope that something is in NYC and that he finds it soon. Get Santana there, too, and I’d happily watch that while fast-forwarding the McKinley scenes.

Comment by nLs – October 4, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, give this show an Emmy. This episode was dynamite.

Comment by brandon – October 4, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was surprisingly dry eyed through out the episode, but my tear ducts were no match for “The Scientist” paired with flashbacks. I made up for my lack of tears in that last few minutes. Whew.

Comment by Amy – October 4, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This hurt but it was nice to see and i finally enjoyed, strangely enough, an episode this season. The first three eps were all over the place and I just didn’t care. Kurt and Blaine were heart breaking and it was shocking that Blaine cheated, but I think they will figure things out down the line. Rachel and Finn were the best part of this episode and I understand the parting of ways and would love to see their story back to each other. I think one thing this episode proved were just how powerful Lea and Cory are opposite each other and I hope they don’t keep their characters in separate cities for too long because it would be a shame.

Comment by Eileen – October 4, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually wrote a more fleshed out opinion on tonight’s episode on my Tumblr (titled, “Why I’m considering the big “Break-Up” with Glee”), but I mostly just want to touch on the Klaine break-up here, so excuse the long copy and paste…

Let’s all back up a bit to season 3; the Whitney Houston tribute episode.

OK… now remember how Blaine reacted when he found out Kurt was texting that random gay dude from the music store? Remember how he flipped, called Kurt a cheater and sang a very angry version of the dance remix to “It’s Not Right, But It’s OK”?

So keep that in mind when I ask this:

With someone who saw something that small (although it was bad) as cheating, do you think he would somehow flirt with some other guy long enough to eventually hook up with him? Really, Glee, REALLY? Is this the wool you’re trying to pull over our eyes?

I get that in the loneliest of times, we do some pretty dumb s**t. But here’s this boy who has constantly called Kurt “the love of my life”, changed his entire life for him by switching schools, losing friends and everything, lost his virginity to this person, gave him the most heartfelt speech when Kurt was graduating basically saying they were “forever”…

Do you get my point?

Writers, let’s be real: if he was that desperate and was able to turn up in NYC two weeks before he was supposed to visit with Kurt and honestly was that lonely, don’t you think he would’ve just went to see him way before he hooked up with someone else?

I’m sorry, but this is SO ridiculous.

Comment by JonnyFantastico81 – October 4, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree, it seemed out of character and ridiculous that he would do that.

Comment by KAC – October 4, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you there. I don’t understand either why he didn’t just go see Kurt instead of hooking up with some random guy. I was so disappointed in him for doing what he did.

Comment by Kay – October 5, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But I blame the writers because they are the ones in control. They are never consistent with anything they do. They are constantly backtracking. And Ryan Murphy makes all these promises (Kurt and Blaine are for eternity) and never follows through with any of them.

Comment by Kay – October 5, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • are you f*ing serious? I know its just your opinion but Brittana are endgame, soulmates..Santana loves brittany the most and they will find their way back to each other!

Comment by heather – October 4, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The plotlines were generally “Glee”-typical (a little rushed, slightly unbelievable- I don’t buy that Blaine would cheat on Kurt; in fact, it seemed more likely that Kurt would be the one to cheat, but I don’t think RM would do that to Kurt), but I have to say that this was the best selection of music the show has had for a single episode. Even “Teenage Dream” would have likely been pretty amazing without the sobbing. Of all the couples, I didn’t expect Brittany and Santana to break up in the end, but at the same time, they’ve been focusing so much on Brittany and Sam together that you just knew it had to happen.

Comment by Aria – October 4, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think I was well-prepared for all of the breakups. The thing that foreshadowed the Brittanna breakup was last week when Brit was waiting for the Skype chat and it said that Santana was “unavailable”.

Comment by D – October 4, 2012 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, but then this time around, Santana mentions how she comes home every few weeks to see Brittany. The other two couples were apart on a regular basis, but the two girls saw each other a lot despite a missed Skype message. The Will-Emma thing wasn’t a breakup and is a ridiculously easy problem to solve: Will, you made the decision to apply to join this panel, so go and do your duties and then return. Don’t force Emma into it. Done.

Comment by Aria – October 5, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode was amazing! Lea/Cory/Naya/Heather were ridiculously amazing! I feel like that performance of “Teenage Dream” would have been really sad if Darren was a better actor.

Comment by dude – October 4, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was digging it musically but then when he got maudlin, I was actually laughing. Sorry, folks, but I was. I would add Chris to the ridiculously amazing list too.

Comment by D – October 4, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow this episode pissed me off more than I could have ever thought possible (and that’s saying alot for Glee). For one, who the hell thought bringing in new characters that are worse versions of past characters would be a good idea? Marley is clearly Rachel but sure, her own person at the same time.. but Kitty with her mean, her cheerleading, her boyfriend and the god stuff is so much like Quinn– just a million times worse… and Jake is so much the new Puck they even made him his brother. Just wait till next episode when new Finn comes in, ugh.
    As for the other couples tonight- Rachel is heartbroken about not being able to be with Finn; Finn however just worries about himself “I got no girl, no job, etc… ” something like that, I don’t care enough to remember. Selfish idiot. Kurt waits up to talk to Blaine; Blaine goes back to Lima saying Kurt won’t speak to him (great writing…). Santana gets to be the one to breakup with Brittany; so we won’t hate on Brittany when she starts dating Sam. -Yeah, good idea, lets put the dumb blones together. Wemma gets one scene; but gets to be included in the final song? &Oh yeah, the flashbacks. The straight couples get the kissing flashbacks… but of course the gays don’t. No need to mention that Blaine would never cheat on Kurt, especially because of how hurt he was when Kurt just texted someone else. Great character assassination out of nowhere.
    I always hated how despite how bad the show was, I couldn’t stop watching. I can stop hating that now, because I am done with this show. Ugh.
    *and no, it’s not because my *fav* couple didn’t work out or something… it’s because this show sucks at wrapping up/continuing stories properly, and is so unfair it’s crazy.

Comment by Courtney – October 4, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes to all that, though I’ll probably keep watching as long as Chris Colfer is on that show. Finchel was a long time coming and realistic. Brittana breaking up sad and if Kurt and Blaine had reached the same decision – fine. But Glee expects me to believe a sober! Blaine hooked up with some random guy he met on Facebook. Just no. And if were Kurt, Blaine would have slept on the couch before I sent his sorry a** back to Ohio. Breaking couples up just for the sake of drama with no proper build up (apart from Finchel) and cramming it all into one episode is bad writing and shows that the writers have no other ideas for how to keep people interested. I keep hoping that new writers mean more consistent story lines and less ooc behavior from the characters, but alas

Comment by Alexa – October 4, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Brittana break up make me cry. and I wasn’t a huge Brittana fan! I never had anything against them being together, it just wasn’t a couple I found myself fangirling over. But, it was just so sad, and very realistic. Bravo Glee. You finally are writing episodes with some realistic couple struggles that people can relate to. The break ups between all of the couples tonight were spot on to how moving on to college is really like, and the people we leave behind, no matter how much we love. Long distance relationships are really really hard, esp in college, when you are in major change and shift time in your life. I’m so happy they dealt with it realistically. And yes, Rachel will probably rebound now with Brody. And she will grow even more from that relationship from him. Is he end game? No. But he will be vital to her growth.

Comment by Ing – October 4, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This Episode was hands down the best this season Lea and Cory were amazing the show is at it’s best when they are together. I loved when Rachel delivered her speech to Finn he needed to hear how hard it was for her and how she felt. I actually like how they handled the break up they clearly love each other so much, but that they’re mature enough and been through so much that they realize that they need to grow up a little bit before they can be together again. .To me this was Rachel’s letting go and surrendering so he can find himself/dream just like he did for her.This episode gave me so much hope that they will find their way back together, they are too in love not to #Finchelforever

Comment by Angie – October 4, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An amazing ep. All the breakups were really touching and realistic. I’m a big Finchel fan and I think they need this break. Cory Monteith and Lea Michele are my favorites and they did an amazing job. Glee is good again. :)

Comment by Cheesus – October 4, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. I love the drama they had between the couples tonight. Heart wrenching at times, yes, but needed. Keeps us watching! This is what makes shows good and interesting and it has to be done with the main characters. However….
    2. The Santana and Brittany drama was just too sad, and not necessary this episode. It honestly took away from the other couples drama because their scenes are always more powerful and real. The emotion those two share is always so impressive , and they just suck everyone who watches in to their little world. They needed at least one of the storylines with the LDR to be positive and it should have been theirs.
    3. I am excited to see what direction they take FInn now. He is a very unique character and would like to see where he ends up.
    4. Please let Brittany and Santana get back together soon. It would be really cool to see Brittany really fight for her.

Comment by dani – October 4, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These were the best songs I’ve seen on Glee in a long time. I especially loved Don’t Speak and Barely Breathing. A little disappointed for the song choice for Santana, it just didn’t suit her and she usually has one of the best voices on the show!

Comment by Carrie – October 4, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Santana doing that song. I thought she did great.

Comment by D – October 4, 2012 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brittana hurt me the most. Leave it to RIB to break up the female same sex couple without exploring their relationship and rarely showing them together. Despite all that, the choir room scene was amazing and Heather and Naya really brought it. Especially Heather who usually isn’t that good with dramatic scenes. Their breakup actually seems kind of pointless because it’s not like we’ll ever see Santana dating other girls or whatever because that’s not allowed on Glee.

Comment by Kim – October 4, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is this review? Kurt was not ignoring Blaine. Did you actually watch the episode? KURT called Blaine at the beginning of the episode, when KURT WAS AT WORK. He was fitting Blaine into his schedule the best way he could. He talked with Blaine and told him he understood he was frustrated about them not getting together more, and that he felt the same. Kurt said he would CALL HIM BACK at his next break. So, no, Kurt wasn’t ignoring him. He was WORKING. Why is Blaine calling him in the middle of the school day anyway?

Is Kurt at his call 24/7? Because Blaine talked to him that morning and then went home that night and cheated on him. It was inexcusable. There is no defense for it, and it is disgusting to erase what actually happened in the show to try and paint some equality in the break up that didn’t actually happen. Blaine was even going to see Kurt in person in two weeks! And then for Blaine to blame Kurt and try to make him fee guilty? He is low. I was a Klaine shipper. Not now. Everything about them is ruined for me. I don’t see how they can ever fix this. “It was just a hook up.” Blaine is childish and immature. I want him nowhere near Kurt until his head gets screwed on.

Comment by iWoman – October 4, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES to everything you just said. Blaine became completely irredeemable to me when he tried to place the fact that he cheated on Kurt. I am no longer a fan of this character and Im glad Kurt is free of him.

Comment by Amy – October 4, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First person I’ve found whose views line up with mine. Thank you.

Comment by RS – October 5, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ty! It’s unbelievable fans (and reviewers) are actually trying to pin this on Kurt!

Comment by wendy – October 5, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All my love goes to Finn and Rachel. I want the story to go back to two people who are so different, but love each other so much and see how they navigate. Lea and Cory are so great opposite each other and I hope despite the break up they continue to share scenes.

Comment by Jon – October 4, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All of them hurt the same for me. Finchel I’ve loved since day 1, have always loved Klaine, and while I’ve never cared much for Brittana, seeing Brittany cry like that….oh my god.

Comment by Sara – October 4, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finchel broke my heart… Cory and Lea were amazing!! Never giving up hope on this couple… #FinchelForever

Comment by emi – October 4, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so is the actor playing Mr Shue got a conflict with work or is he really going to be gone for a few episodes? Or are they doing what they have done on other shows and leaving actors out of episodes to cut cost. They get paid for 18 episodes out of 22.

Comment by Tammy – October 4, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will never understand why bash other ships. Finchel, Brittana and Klaine are not inconflict at all. Just love and support your own ship.

OMG, love Finchel so much. Lea and Cory are truly perfect togetther. Klaine and Brittana broke my heart too. Props to all actors/actress especially Cory and Lea. Looking forward to their journey back to each other.

Comment by Jo – October 4, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post