Glee Recap: Nobody Said It Was Easy

will emma glee break upIf you haven’t watched this week’s Glee, abandon this URL immédiatement! Everyone else, keep on reading and let’s get this discussion percolatin’!

Please forgive any typos or errors in this week’s Glee recap. “Allergies” seem to be making my eyes all watery, and no amount of dabbing is stopping this unfortunate display of “waterworks.”

Okay, okay…I ‘fess up! “The Break Up,” the fourth episode of Season 4, left me shattered. A wreck. Depressed. Despondent. With a mean case of the blues. Positively cream-crackered. But — I have to add — in the best possible way.

RELATED | Exclusive: Glee Boss Previews ‘Break-Up’ Fallout, Promises ‘Nothing Is Set in Stone’ – Plus: Cory Monteith ‘Sad and Nostalgic’ in Episode’s Wake

Sure, it wasn’t easy watching the show’s four central couples get pulled apart at the seams by infidelity, distance, changing life goals, expectations of obedient puppydom, and occasional indifference (nobody said it would be). But life and — let’s be honest — good television are often as much about heartache and hard choices as they are about happiness and good fortune. (And oh, those flashback scenes! THOSE FLASHBACK SCENES, I SAY!)

But let me back up for a moment. In case you were too busy reading up on “The Blue Ribbon Panel to Improve Arts Education,” here’s what you missed on Glee. (For the record, I’m going to try to give the rundown on what happened with each couple in five sentences or less — then weigh in on how successful/realistic the action actually was.)

RACHEL AND FINN | The morning after Finn’s arrival interrupted Rachel and Brody’s first kiss, Finn revealed he’d been semi-honorably discharged from the army for shooting himself in the thigh, but then avoided contacting Rachel because he felt like a “Lima loser” with no direction in life. Rachel brought Finn to all her NYADA classes in an effort to inspire him with a new direction, and then to the piano bar Callbacks for karaoke night, but things got tense when Finn declined to sing and encouraged Rachel to duet with Brody on a Demi Lovato song (nice X Factor cross-promotional synergy there). On the way home, Rachel finally admitted she and Brody had kissed — just once! — and the next morning, Finn fled the apartment and headed back to Ohio, without so much as a goodbye to the girlfriend he’d abandoned for the previous four months. Rachel hopped a plane and hunted him down, and after revealing how she’d hated him for giving her her wings in the Season 3 finale, she’d eventually realized, “This is what a man looks like. This is how a man loves.” Despite that, his lack of communication and all-around aimlessness made Rachel realize they couldn’t be together, at least for now.

Personally, I bought everything about this breakup — from Finn’s devastation that Rachel kissed another guy in the process of finding herself, to Rachel admitting that after four months with no communication, she’d taken it as a hint to move on. (The only thing I didn’t buy was Brody lurking behind the New Directions’ table during Blaine’s tearful “Teenage Dream.” Get a clue, dude!) Whether or not these two crazy kids are destined to be together, it’s clear that Finn is in no position to make anyone else happy — let alone himself — till he figures out what he wants to do with his life. It was sweet that Rachel tried to help her man find a plan in NYC, but self-discovery isn’t about fitting into someone else’s dream. It’s about defining your own. And if Rachel is still available once Finn conquers his insecurities — can we acknowledge that good, successful people can be found anywhere…even in Lima?! — maybe they’ll still have a shot. As Rachel so devastatingly put it, “You are my first love, and I want more than anything for you to be my last love, but I can’t do this anymore. We’re done.” Correct!

KURT AND BLAINE | Blaine continued to feel ignored as Kurt explored his fabulous new life in NYC, and who could blame him when his “I love you” was met with a stinging dialtone? The erstwhile Warbler found distraction by flirtatiously text-messaging with a guy named “Eli C,” and then suddenly arrived in NYC for a suprise visit, where he gave an awkwardly mournful rendition of “Teenage Dream” at Callbacks. (Kurt’s response — “You’re so emotional and weirdly sad — please stop pretending there’s nothing wrong” — was pitch perfect.) Blaine eventually admitted he’d strayed — “It didn’t mean anything. It was just a hookup, okay?” he cried. “I was lonely and I’m really sorry.” — leaving Kurt feeling like he was “gonna die.” Mr. Hummel, though, got in “to the left, to the left” mode, tossing Blaine’s “forgive me” note into the trash when a bouquet of flowers landed on his desk at work.

Again, this trip to Splitsville seemed very well-handled, and realistically telegraphed. Blaine is a nice, bowtie-wearing prepster, sure, but he’s also a randy high-school senior who was getting almost entirely ignored by a boyfriend who’d fled their small-town life and wasn’t making any long-term plans to come back. What’s more, as we saw last season in his flirtation with Sebastian, Mr. Anderson hasn’t always had a one-track eye (even if he isn’t always full aware of the fact). And furthermore, as hurt as Kurt seemed by Blaine’s infidelity, I can’t help but wonder if he didn’t feel a sense of relief. With his new job, new city, and the promise of endless new experiences, it seemed like those texts and Skype sessions with his old beau were more out of obligation than desire, no? I just wished we’d had a scene or two explaining the emergence of this mystery Eli. Is he a McKinley student? A glee clubber from another district? Inquiring minds want to know if he’s hot or not.

BRITTANY AND SANTANA | Santana returned to Lima to do her laundry and discovered Brittany was reading Desecration: Antichrist Takes the Throne, the ninth book in the Left Behind series, as part of her involvement with a new religious group at McKinley. Agreeing to attend one of the meetings at Breadstix, Santana watched as mean-girl Kitty staged a rapture hoax on an unsuspecting underclassman, but it inevitably led to Brittany admitting she’d been feeling left behind and hurt by her girlfriend’s move to college. After an emotional, intimate rendition rendition of “Mine” in the choir room, Santana told Brittany she didn’t want them to become one of those long-distance couples who hang in there for a few months, then “break up when someone eventually cheats or things get weird.” (“I would never cheat on you,” Brittany responded with incredible haste and heatbreaking earnestness.) But Santana, insisting it wasn’t “an official breakup,” reasoned they should “just do the mature thing here” and give each other space, even though, as she put it (activating my tear ducts in the process), “You know I will always love you the most.”

Brittana was probably the least fleshed-out of the breakups this week, but for me, it was also the saddest. Maybe that’s because I can’t help but feel that whip-smart Santana, in her new life at college, will only grow further and further estranged from Brit in the years to come. There’s always been something young and innocent about the connection between these Cheerios, but intellectually and emotionally, Brittany simply isn’t a match for Santana right now. Looking at the week’s three breakups, I’d deem this one Least Likely to Get Back Together. (Just please, don’t let it lead to Brittany covering Taylor Swift’s latest single. I love that song, if I’m being honest, but no.) And who’d have thunk Brittany would be the one to verbalize what Santana couldn’t bring herself to say: “This sounds a lot like a breakup to me.” Mmm-hmm.

WILL AND EMMA | Good news, Wemma fans, the enagement still appears to be on. (I think?) But Will weirdly assumed that Emma would take a sabbatical from her job and join him in DC when he went to work on “The Blue Ribbon Panel to Improve Arts Education” — Oh Em Gee, Schue, stop spelling it out! — and she was not having it, informing her man that she wasn’t about to sit around in a hotel room while he went off and fulfilled his dreams. “This is not that I’m afraid of losing my job. It’s that I like my job,” Emma said, indignant. (Preach, sister!) And when Will insisted they still needed to talk through their decision, Emma dropped this icy (and brilliant) retort: “We just did. You just don’t like what I have to say!”

KITTY AND JAKE | Don’t burst into tears all at once, folks, but Puckerman 2.0 dumped Nasty McBitchytongue after she made fun of Marley’s mom again.

And with that, let’s recount the episode’s best zinger (we’ll keep it to one, since comedy mostly took the week off):

* “I mean, I’m not jealous. I just think it’s insane that all Porcelain had to do to get an internship at Vogue.com is take photos of every ridiculous outfit he’s ever paired with a Cossack hat and a see-through raincoat, and then show up at an interview where he’s lauded as a visionary because his jodhpurs happen to match his riding crop.” –Santana, speaking for everyone everytime everywhere while discussing Kurt’s new job

Before I hand things off to you, let me also grade this week’s musical numbers:

* Blaine and Finn, “Barely Breathing”: A- (Finn sounded great, no?)

* Rachel and Brody, “Give Your Heart a Break”: A (not an endorsement of this duo, but dang they gave the song an upgrade!)

* Blaine, “Teenage Dream”: N/A (How can I grade something I wasn’t really supposed to enjoy? Sniff.)

* Finn, Rachel, Kurt, and Blaine, “Don’t Speak”: B- (Didn’t pop for me emotionally, given how much s— was going down as it was sung)

* Santana, “Mine”: B+

* Finn, Rachel, Blaine, Kurt, Santana, Brittany, Will and Emma: “The Scientist”: A (Yowza, the flashbacks to our couples’ first meetings/kisses were really perfectly selected and placed.)

And with that, it’s your turn. What did you think of “The Break Up”? Whose problems hit you hardest? Which split made the most sense? And which one (if any) didn’t make any sense at all? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Denise says:

FINCHEL FOREVER

• Para says:

I wish Klaine would reconcile. I really really do.
      The only relief is that Blaine and Kurt didn’t officially break up.
      Like “we are done” as far as finchel goes. Klaine will be back with each other.. It will be hard and slow but They will be back with each other and it will be good tv drama

• Kay says:

Right. I got the impression that Kurt and Blaine did not actually break up (yet). I’m hoping that they will talk this out and Kurt can forgive Blaine and give him another chance. Hopefully Blaine will “unfriend” Eli immediately (and stay away from Sebastian as well). Please let this couple reunite and be together.

• Nicc says:

Agreed, definitely agreeing with you here. Hopefully they’ll work this out and Blaine can just ignore all those boys knocking on his door. I think Klaine definitely hit me the hardest

• Lue says:

The only thing is, I believe Eli is the new Warbbler appearing this season……so I am guessing that they need their space b4 moving forward, I think Eli is Sebastian’s replacement….

• Klainer says:

its been released that the new warbler who’s picture we’ve seen is named hunter and that he is straight. he wants blaine to come back to the warblers, but only because he wants his voice not his body.

• sara says:

I wish Ryan Murphy wouldn’t write for Finn. He rehashed the same points about his low self image we had ALL season 3 (he’s probably forgotten as he does many a continuity point) and to have the line ‘what am i going to do now’ in the last scene with Rachel was TERRIBLE. He had already set her free. It is as if that noble gesture had to be torn down. All the fears of Finn fans – of his fantastic car scene not being honored, of him being Shue 2.0, or purely being there to help the glee project kids (and him continuing to sound like a douche) were realised. And why cut some of his lines from The Scientist? We wait four episodes for no character growth.

• sara says:

However, Cory Monteith rocked every moment of screen time he had. SO good he is back.

• Guest says:

I thought Finn’s setback was realistic. His army plans failed and in the absence of any other plans or goals he wanted to go back to the person that made him feel good. When that didn’t work out for him, he went back to place that made him feel good. It happens. Sometimes life gives you setbacks and you get down on yourself. And yes I agree, Cory rocked his scenes. Love this guy. Now that he is back, I want to watch Glee again. First time I felt this way all season 4. But now I am ready for him to experience some real growth on his own. And the line in the promo where he tells Will and others it’s his choice as he is the director gives me hope that it is coming.

• murley says:

the thing is, none of finn’s self esteem issues were actually resolved so it would be incredibly unrealistic for him to be in any other kind of mental space. he did right by rachel in helping her pursue her dreams but joining the army was not his dream. it was something he did for his father. he has yet to do something for himself. and then to feel as though he failed at the one thing he actually tried to do, of course he would be at a place of even lower self esteem. i am really looking forward to finn’s journey this season and i hope it is one that leads him back to rachel.

• dane says:

I am so in the minority… but I DESPERATELY dislike Rachel and Finn together. I have been happy seeing Rachel explore life outside of Lima and apart from Finn. They will always be ‘first love’ to each other.. but they are completely not suited to a real relationship outside of high school. Rachel is actually becoming more palatable now that she isn’t in high school and i feel like Brody is doing well in helping her evolve a bit and expand beyond who she was and ht box she constructed for herself.

I also think Brittana (as the article points out) are ill suited to each other and their break up really does seem final. I enjoyed them together.. but the reality is that they aren’t a good fit.

And then.. there is Klaine. They broke my dang heart. They are the ONLY couple that I’m actually rooting for. I’d like to see them eventually reunite.

• Chris S. says:

I happen to agree with you. I’m not a Rachel and Finn as a couple fan. They just never really clicked for me because he had so many self-esteem issues and they bled over into their relationship. Rachel had her own issues, and between the two is just made their relationship stiff and awkward. I know i’m in the minority on that point but, it IS how I feel about them. I love Rachel’s growth in NY, she’s more confident, she’s coming out of her shell and realizing she CAN be a success there.

Blaine and Kurt was soooooo freaking sad. I felt so bad for Blaine because I know in RL what it feels like to have a partner kind of forget that you have a life and are also part of theirs. I kind of hope they get back together, but on the other hand Kurt needs to kill his selfish streak first. Blaine’s always supported him since they got together. I can’t really say that Kurt has done the same for Blaine.

• Kay says:

Chris S – I agree with your comment regarding Kurt and Blaine. Yes, it seems like Blaine has been so supportive of Kurt, but Kurt doesn’t seem to reciprocate. Blaine was always much more loving to Kurt. Always telling him he loved him, and showing affection. Kurt just seemed kind of cold to me, like he didn’t really like to show his feelings. I felt bad for Blaine being alone and feeling neglected. I can see why he would turn to someone else, but I would have hoped he could have waited until the weekend and went to see Kurt (he did eventually but that was out of guilt). I do hope they can work through this and get back the love they had. It may take some time, but I think they can do it if they truly love each other.

• cookiegirl says:

I agree with your observation with KLAINE sometimes it seems just Kurt is just using Blaine as his insurance policy on love

• JR says:

Finchel forever destroying the show. Hope they broke up for good maybe the ratings will stop tanking.

2. Mark says:

Not even a Klaine breakup could make me watch Glee again, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the breakdown on Tumblr. I’m happier than Glee has made me since season 1 and I didn’t even have to turn on my television.

• Alyssa says:

you’re just trolling now. yes it may be ridiculous for us glee fans to be freaking out so much over this but we are. there’s no need to kick us while we are down about this.

3. Amanda says:

FINCHEL IS FOREVER

4. Siren says:

Tonight, more than ever, Finchel Forever

5. Darth Pablo says:

I always liked Kurt and Blaine. When Blaine sang Teenage Dream, I knew something was up, and started crying.

• Kay says:

I knew it when he sang Barely Breathing. When he was looking at his phone and he clicked on facebook and hit poke I thought uh oh what the heck is he doing. I never thought he would cheat on Kurt. I thought he really loved him and would never do a thing like that. He has changed so much since Season 2.

• Alyssa says:

that’s one of the things that has made me the saddest… blaine has changed so much since season 2 and generally not for the better in my opinion. especially for him to cheat after only a couple of weeks…

• dorroncross says:

It’s not that he’s changed, it’s because we never really got to see him. Blaine did cheat on Kurt, but there were reasons as to why he did it. He was being ignored and while it’s not a justified reason to do so, we can see that Blaine does have some issues on his own that have just been there. He’s just perceived as a perfect person because we haven’t really gone in depth to his character. Oh sigh.

• Kay says:

I believe you are right. Yes, he does have issues and I hope the writers will deal with that. I really like Blaine and hope that he and Kurt can work through their problems. I hate to see them apart and would like them to be together eventually.

• gabby- akward and kool says:

uh he does luv him u could see it in his face when he was singing teenage dream u can sense regret in his tone he was about to break down on stage thats y he started singing fast everybody could sense it blaine is lonely iget that and kurt was being a bumm ignoring him ever since he left and got the vogue job and didnt kurt cheat on blaine? never watched that episode

6. nicole says:

Finchel is forever! Finn need to find himself first !

7. Gretch says:

I am in tears over Finchel. Lea and Cory blew that last scene out of the park. I’ve never been so impressed by them. I absolutely have never shipped Finchel harder than I am right now. They are soulmates. It’s not about if anymore. It’s when. They will be back together one day and I can’t wait to see it. Finchel forever.

8. N says:

Finn and Rachel. Oh my heart. They love each other so much. It was so bittersweet. I’m left feeling hopeful though. Soulmates always find their way back.

9. Nna says:

About time Rachel broke up with Finn! Let’s go Brochel!

• Amanda says:

Ain’t gonna happen

• Debra says:

Agreed. When a girl tells the boy she is breaking up with that she wants him to be her last love, moving on with anybody else is going to be nothing more than a fling or a rebound.

• get it says:

Then Rachel over time have a fling with Brody. Finn will happen later but she might as well have some fun first.

• JR says:

she may want him to be her last love but when she said she can’t do this anymore it implies she realizes the relationship doesn’t work.

• Jen says:

Right thank you! I like Brochel everyone says “Boo, they have no chemistry no depth” or whatever but WHAT DO YOU EXPECT they’ve known each other for 3 episodes, SORRY IF they’re not being rushed like you precious, overdramatic finchel…

10. Kaitlyn says:

FINCHEL FOREVER!!!!!

11. Jess says:

Finn and Rachel hurt the most to me. I thought it couldn’t get worst than the train scene in the finale. I felt like I was going to throw up here!! I really hope Finn finds himself and his dream soon and they get back together. I think they have a real shot at a reconciliation and the next time will be the last. I think they’ll be in it to win in after they mature!

• Finchel.is.Forever says:

Their auditorium scene was definitely Rachel’s response to everything Finn said during the train scene. And totally agree that they need some time to find themselves but that FINCHEL is FOREVER. :D

12. 1 says:

FINCHEL FOREVER BABY. THEY WERE HEART BREAKINGLY PERFECT

13. Cece says:

Klaine broke my heart :(

14. Ivanna says:

Finchel forever. Hope Finn finds himself soon and he and rachel get back together <3

15. nicole says:

wow, so this has been the best episode of this season so far. so well done, all the actors left me speechless. klaine breaking up was sad but i hope they can solve things out and wow finn and rachel stole the show with that last scene. it was beautiful, it was heartbreaking but the good kind. finchel forever!!!

• AJ says:

Finchel and Klaine broke my heart, I really want things to be fixed for both of them but it’s definitely going to be a process.

16. Mafer says:

Can’t stop sobbing! Finn’s face soo helpless :'( I knew the break up it was gonna hurt but my Finchel heart broke tonight! nontheless I know Finchel is engame, we have a head of us a long journey but that tethered isn’t gonna break any time soon #FinchelForever

17. Stephanie says:

I lost it during that final song, not going to lie. I am sure Finchel, Klaine and Brittana will find their way back to each other one day, and as for Wemma they will be okay (Beiste is going to help them in 4×05). Keep the faith, everyone

Instead of arguing with one another, why don’t we think back to our favorite moments from our ships? Wemma’s first kiss and the proposal are mine

18. Melanie says:

Darren Criss ripped my heart out and melted it into a puddle of feels with that song. Amazing yet terrible episode.

19. Me says:

Finchel omg so sad it was the best episode by far but I hope that in the next episodes Gleel will focus on fixing and giving closure to all the relatioships featured tonight. Especially to finally see Finchel together for good.

20. meg says:

Cory and Lea killed it in the greatest way possible, they’re the only couple on glee where both people are great actors and not just one half of them is. This episode heavily implies that they’ll get back together soon once they’re both ready. Even Heather Morris who isn’t the greatest actress did a great job tonight so props to her

21. Angela says:

The Santana/Brittany scenes actually got me choked up. So did the ending to “The Scientist” (LOVE that song, by the way. And I couldn’t help but cheer Rachel and Emma sticking up for themselves, too. I hope all these couples do patch things up or find their way back to each other, ’cause I like all of them, but seeing them changing so much and potentially moving on is definitely going to make for some interesting stories, I’m sure.
    And with that I shall step aside and start building myself a place to hide from the…um…let’s be polite and call it a “debate”…that is sure to result from any discussion about Blaine cheating on Kurt. Hoo boy…

22. Canadian_JBS says:

Glee is racist. If you are a fan of the show, you will know what I mean.
    (And for what it’s worth, there are FIVE central couples.)
    Because of the blatant racism against Asians tonight, this episode gets a solid F-.

• Carrie says:

Mike and Tina broke up before over the summer…..

• kim yu says:

Psst: Mike is back next week and they talk.

• Chris says:

I feel Tina & Mike’s relationship was only ever given a surface storyline…except for the situation with Mike’s parents and going to school for Dance. They were never really explored in-depth…so I feel their exclusion in the last number was correct. Plus we never saw the break up play out.

23. Sam says:

This episode was so good but hurt so bad. I love the realism that was displayed tonight. I can’t wait to see Finn’s journey to finding his dreams. Once he finds his place in this world he will be ready for a reunion with Rachel. I just love them together.

24. Momma says:

Klaine forever!

25. Ashley says:

I haven’t rooted this hard for Finchel since Season 1 when I wanted Finn to find out Quinn’s baby wasn’t his and to end up with Rachel. The ending scene was more sad than I thought it was going to be and the acting from everyone was great tonight. I pretty much cried through the whole episode even though I don’t care to much for Klaine or Brittana. Glee finally grew a pair! Awesome songs, awesome episode. Oh, and Brody is freakishly annoying.

26. jacqi says:

I was confused about the state of Klaine’s relationship until I read this so thanks for clearing it up that they did indeed break-up. There was no official end in the episode. I burst into tears when Rachel gave her speech to Finn. :(

• Wenders says:

I was also confused about Klaine. I thought that one was very VERY ambiguous because they never had a conversation where they said they were breaking up or taking a break or anything.

• Kay says:

I don’t think they officially broke up yet. Kurt wouldn’t talk to Blaine, and Blaine told Finn “I don’t know if we’re broken up or not” (or something similar – can’t remember exact quote – but anyway he was unsure of the status). Will have to see what happens in the next few episodes (November seems so far away).

27. Jaime says:

The episode left me really sad but I thought the Finn/Rachel relationship was especially powerful in this episode. Such a universal thing that so many of us have gone through. Super sad that it means mean Lea and Cory won’t have scenes together because they are the best with each other. Also, SO SO happy to see Finn and Santana again. Only made me realize how much I don’t care about the J, K, and M. Can Finn and Santana move to New York soon?

28. Sheila says:

Blaine and Kurt had the saddest breakup!! I can’t believe they are really over

29. Josie says:

My Finchel heart is broken. Cory and Lea were so amazing tonight. I know that Rachel and Finn still love each other so much, and I have no doubt that they will be together again one day. Finchel is forever.

30. Mag says:

Finn and Rachel… It hurts, but it’s a good hurt because I know it’s a break for now. Let Finn find himself first. I never was a fan of Klaine or Brittana but theirs break up got me emotional too. Kudos for all the actors, they were amazing!

31. Patti says:

Yeah that was devastating. Rachel and Finn are perfect but this seemed real and I can’t wait to see what happens with them next. Lea and Cory opposite each other is perfection.

32. Brie says:

I really wish they would’ve given Samcedes some acknowledgement…considering they spent a fair amount of time last season to get them back together…

Could care less about finchel…but the klaine scenes slayed me.

33. great acting says:

i loved the episode, it is nice to see ryan murph caring about his show again (but i still miss the comedy). the cast was spot on today, everyone was great and their scenes were flawless. just didn’t like the wasting time with the “new gleeks” , seriously kitty – marley – jake are boring as hell

34. Brooke says:

GOD. THIS EPISODE showed exactly WHY Lea needs her acting scenes with Cory and Chris. They are SO amazing and passionate. Her scenes with Dean are sooo bad compared to the scenes tonight. Please Glee- Get Finn and Santana to NYC SOON and give me that show. PS- No one cares about the newbies. Wish they had fleshed Brittana and Wemma out more than show Kitty BS.

35. jason says:

OMFG THE FINCHEL TONIGHT…….. EVEN THEIR BREAKUPS ARE FLAWLESS,

36. Bianca says:

THANK GOD NO MORE FINCHEL!!!!

• Parker says:

Just ship your own ship angry little brittana or klaine jerk. “You” people are so obnoxious, not everything needs to be a rainbow parade on glee. It’s why people stopped watching. This show needs Finchel and other couples alike .

• Bender says:

Finchel is over, they were never going work. hate the finchel and the obsessive fans

• snix says:

Finchel was absolutely horrid and toxic. It ruined Rachel’s entire character and destroyed any possibilities for Finn to grow. So yes I agree with this sentiment.

• ? says:

Baha Toxic? Like precious Santana manipulating her girlfriend into leaving Glee, or manipulating her in to cheating on Artie though lies she knew would work on Brittany.

• snix says:

None of the couples were written well or consistently. I’m just saying that Finchel was the worst and brought out the worst in each other.

• Terry says:

Seriously can’t wait until the next time someone on the tvline team brings up how combative finchel fans can be. Thanks for the laughs Slezak and co. If anything we are always on defense, and posters like this person are the reason why.

37. Jo says:

Well Slezak gets his wish with the break up of Klaine. As do Chris colfer and Darren Criss. This is why I no longer invest a great amount of time with this show. Writers just play games with the audience.

38. Songbird says:

Brittana forever, their Scenes were the best and so emotional and beautiful, they need to stay together forever!

39. Patricia says:

Lea Michelle made me cry she was so good tonight. I just hate Finn thou he is such a lump, his singing sucks I’m glad they are done and Rachel did it the right way. I’m really enjoying this season I hope that they just switch the entire show to NY. I really don’t care about whose left behind at the school I just fast forward, Britney stupidity got old already and the new people are not interesting. Just get Santana and Blaine to NY and it would be perfect.

• Angie says:

Ha. I feel like you stole this from something I posted a while ago. Get Blaine and Santana to NY, move show focus there, and have McKinley a subplot. All the new characters are awful and it seems like 3 casts. NY, old ND and new ND. They keep saying Finn gets a new love interest and has a shocking storyline coming up. I’m betting he gets married

40. Carlos Alvarez Jr says:

this episode made me cry so much…everything about it was perfect…the acting was so good and the songs were great..i lost it during the flashbacks..

41. Lime says:

Brittana made me cry the most, mainly because of HeMo’s excellent on-cue tears.

Klaine’s was the saddest for me, I definitely get how abandoned Blaine was feeling and I understand why he strayed (even though I don’t condone cheating).

Finchel: really felt like it was coming. I think Cory and Lea played it perfectly. It was the least sad to me because I think they need to grow up apart from each other before they can come back together.

• Russ says:

Brittana was sad. I figured Klaine would break up. and I hoped Finchel would break up. and while we are at it can Glee give us more Santana, she is my favorite character.

• Kay says:

Yes, Blaine was so depressed in episode 3 and then episode 4 at the beginning when he was talking to Kurt on the phone I could tell he was really lonely. I just wish instead of hooking up with this Eli that he would have waited for the weekend and flew out to NY (even though he would be 2 weeks earlier than normal). But then where would the drama be, right? I just hate that they are breaking them up, but I agree he should not have cheated. I wish they would have just had them drift apart and end it that way. Then there would be a possibility of them getting together later on. But this way I don’t think Kurt is ever going to be able to trust him again. Did you notice Kurt automatically assumed it was Sebastian when Blaine said he had “been with someone.” I thought all along it would have been too but no it had to be some random guy we never heard of before.

42. Hannah says:

Brittana absolutely killed me. I’ve loved them the most from the very beginning and absolutely bawled my eyes out during and after “Mine” basically I’m a complete mess right now. Both Naya and Heather were flawless. As unrealistic as it may be I really hope they eventually get back together

43. Jenna says:

Brittany and Santana were absolutely heartbreaking. There is obviously so much love, respect, and devotion between them. Out of the couple, they were the ones that affected me the most. I think they are the ones that deserve each other the most.

• Alex says:

I couldn’t agree more. They broke my heart. How sad is it to break up when you’re in love and actually don’t want to be apart. I really hope they get back together, and soon.

• Kay says:

Maybe they will get together after Brittany graduates. We’ll have to wait and see. Maybe they are on the couples that will reunite (Finchel and Brittana). I don’t have much hope for Klaine though. I think Chris Colfer doesn’t want them to be together because he wants his own storyline.

• Renee says:

Their whole breakup was rediculous and uncalled for. But if we look back this was started at the end of season 3. The acting was stellar. Hemo killed it again. However her self jouney has been a joke. Other than she did stand up to Santana and as usual Santana ran.
      Nayas voice is amazing. My hope is they both grow,become more equal and find their way back to each other sooner rather than later.
      Also being in denial I am not convinced they arent broken up. Santana called it not official. Britt didnt agree and said she loved her. so despite the critics saying they wont get back to each other maybe enough cries from the fandom can make it happen.

44. Marcela says:

This was a beautiful episode that really highlighted the beauty of young love and the difficulty we all face when we know we have to say goodbye. I have to say though, that as sad as I was when Santana and Brittany decided to change the status of their relationship and as devastated as I felt for Kurt over Blaine’s indiscretion, seeing Rachel deliver her speech to Finn about how she’ll always BE the “moon-eyed” girl when it comes to him… that really hit home and I will admit I ugly cried. It’s nice to know that the characters are learning that sacrifices need to be made when you really want something and that they’ve learned they have to do a little growing up. I have to say, though, I can’t wait for their reunion. #finchelforever

45. Proudlyso says:

Are you kidding? BRITTANA least likely to get back together?? Innocent connection? Funny I thought Blaine being Kurt’s first gay experience/mentor made them least likely. Or Finn being Rachel’s first love made it seem like its time to grow up and move on especially since communication is obviously a problem between them? Totally disagree with this assessment!

• stacy's mom says:

Yeah, I would have thought cheating or ignoring someone for four months was grounds for never getting back together moreso than not wanting to screw up a good relationship.

• LadyB says:

Couldn’t have said it better.

• Courtney says:

I agree that the other couples reasons for breaking up are bigger than Brittanas, but when it comes to Glee, they would be the most likely. The show has never been nice to them, while Finchel and Klaine have always been the top couples, and the creators love them. Ryan has said more than once and Klaine are forever and that Finchel is endgame. He hasn’t said the same about Brittana.. and it’s pretty obvious he well get these two couples back together, as for Brittana though.. I wouldn’t count on it. Not if they put bisexual Brittany with a guy and take Naya out so Santana can be off at college. I love Brittana though, and I want Naya to stay… I just don’t think it’s a priority for the writers/creators.

46. rian says:

Santana and Brittany, for sure. Saddest because they never got to actually HAVE a relationship, whereas we had hours and hours of the others, especially Finchel and Klaine. Brittana got angst about being together and angst about breaking up, with no real substance inbetween. Where’s the meat, huh?!

• Sammi says:

THIS! I think the fact that they were friends first then fell in love, THEN ended on a positive note is a sign they could definitely get back together. Also, they didn’t just “hardly flesh out their break-up” (as said above), they hardly fleshed out their relationship, period! I’m not really getting why TVLine, E!, and other popular tv sites like those think they’re broken up for good but are so gung-ho about Klaine and Finchel getting back together, when things between the two of them ended pretty badly. As contrived and forced as the break-up was, Santana AND Brittany were extremely mature with the way they went their separate ways (and are also still obviously and painfully in love). Unfortunately they’ll probably pair Britt off with Sam then BOOM! Brittany’s straight and Brittana never happened (just like Samcedes). and that’s what you missed on GLEE!

• LadyB says:

Spot on. Brittany and Sanatna’s relationship has never been particularly well written and their break up seems contrived. The idea that Brittany failed her senior year of high school without Santana being aware that it was a possiblity is ridiculous. To have their relationship “tested” by distance now is just unnecessary drama. What a waste of storyline.

47. Lena says:

I liked Finn and Rachel together (note that I said “liked” not “my existence depended on”) but their breakup was well done and realistic for me. Like I mentioned in a comment last week, a couple where one is driven and the other is aimless and flaky just isn’t going to work, especially in an exciting new environment. So I’m fine with their breakup. Santana and Brittany’s breakup, while totally making sense, really hurt because, and not to be excessively cheesy, the character of Santana inspired me to come out as bisexual to my parents.

48. O'Brien says:

It was as close to a pure musical as the show has ever gotten. Fantastic.

That was just a slaughter. Rachel killed it in her speech to Finn. I think those crazy kids will find their way back to one another, but Finn has got to get himself sorted out. It’s pretty obvious he’ll take over the Glee Club when Schue goes to DC, and I think that would be perfect. That’s always been the right path for him (after he gets a college degree that would prepare him for it!).

Kurt and Blaine…my God. I hate what Blaine did, but life is more complicated than, “You cheated; you’re the worst.” “Teenage Dream” ripped my heart out. I hope Kurt doesn’t hook up with that skeezy looking guy at the end; Kurt, you can do so much better. Blaine, sort yourself out.

And Santana wins for being just the most amazing…I don’t even know what. So. Good. She and Brit in the choir room – tears.

And “The Scientist” was like being killed all over again.

49. Hime says:

Bring back Brittana. I love them. Although I still can’t get over:
    “We’re gonna make it now”….. Oh except until 10 seconds later when I break up with you.

50. Lola says:

Brittana is Love. They’re gonna make it!