Exclusive Video: How Revolution Makes Swords and Crossbows Cool — and Super Lethal!

Get More: Video

NBC’s Revolution takes an old school — but effective — approach to fighting. After all, when the world is unplugged and a militia’s hoarding guns, swords and crossbows are your best bet for survival. And in the exclusive behind-the-scenes video below, stunt coordinator Jeff Wolfe reveals how, in the pilot, Miles is able to take out dozens of militia men with just a blade.

RELATED | NBC Gives Full-Season Orders to Revolution, Go On and The New Normal

“I did pretty much all of that, except for one thing, and I’m not going to tell you what it was,” adds star Billy Burke.

Helping him defeat the bad guys are little innovations that Wolfe, who appears in some of the show’s fight sequences, has added to ancient weapons. For example, Miles’ sword includes brass knuckles that proved useful in knocking out Mark Pellegrino’s soldier Jeremy.

But with all the swashbuckling fun comes an aspect of stunt work Burke isn’t too keen on. “My favorite stuff to do is stuff that doesn’t involve running,” he admits.

Press PLAY to see what it takes to pull off the Revolutionary thrills.

Tags: ,

Comments (25)

• I love a good sword fight.

Comment by Velvet – October 3, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The action sequences with the sword fights on ‘Revolution’ are on par with a Hollywood blockbuster! They totally look cool and realistic!

Comment by Dean – October 3, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope you’re kidding. These are the worst swordfights I’ve ever seen. Phantom Menace was crap, but at least the swordfights were good. These, they’re totally pedestrian. You can tell that no one on the show had any fencing training and Captain Stabsalot is taking down opponents who completely stink at defensive maneuvers and they have to shoot everything in extreme close-up because everything they’re doing looks terrible. And for Pete’s sake, they really need to stop clotheslining people getting struck by crossbow bolts. Only heavy artillery is capable of flipping a person like that. Argh.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 3, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why are you expecting every one of those guys to be highly trained sword fighters? They are just normal people who follow orders. Still doesn’t mean they didn’t look realistic and awesome!! Go watch documentaries for reality man!

Comment by Dean – October 3, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The term “militia” implies some kind of training. Soldiers are issued standard equipment and, at the very least, basic training on their use. But they all act like monkeys with sticks with not even a modicum of finesse. They charge forward while leaving themselves completely vulnerable. It is offensively stupid. And I, nor anyone who’s seen any movie, will accept your blind enthusiasm as a barometer of realism. Seriously, watch any freaking movie. I usually am able to suspend my disbelief on just about any show, but how this militia of morons was able to take hold of any kind of power is ridiculous. They couldn’t cut a banana, let alone a person.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 3, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Why can’t people just watch and enjoy a television show for what it is. I don’t get why people have to analyze television in great detail and point out all of its shortcomings. It’s a television show for christ sake. If it’s not working for you then pick up the remote.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 3, 2012 01:51 PM PDT
          • I didn’t think they acted like that. And anyway, just because I call myself and my gang – DragonRiders (which I don’t) doesn’t mean I go around looking for dragons to tame. Same difference here. Go watch Last Resort (which I liked), probably much more ‘realistic’ and more to your liking, instead of hating on something.

Comment by Dean – October 3, 2012 01:56 PM PDT
          • wrstlgirl, like I said, I can normally suspend my disbelief, but the “action” on this show made me laugh. If someone’s going to shout from the rooftops that it’s realistic and amazing, I have a right to say, “Ummmmm, no,” and how funny that is to me. It’s not really a difference of opinion, it is actually just bad. Maybe people who are impressed by this sort of thing haven’t actually seen a film with better action scenes. And while that’s sad, it should be remedied with all due haste.

And Dean, I really want this show to be better, I truly do. It’s supposedly a hit and will possibly be around for a while, so it’s something to talk about, like we’re doing here. But if it’s going to be as stupid as it has been, I will happily resort to hate-watching it and share how I feel about its weaknesses.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 3, 2012 02:25 PM PDT
  • when have swords and crossbows ever NOT been cool?

Comment by xav – October 3, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has been killing me since last episode. The guy who beat Danny,where is he from?

Comment by kthor – October 3, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was in Scrubs…

Comment by Chris – October 3, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He played Drew on the last season of Scrubs. He was also on an episode of Happy Endings as Malcom, an artist living in Max and Daves attic.

Comment by P – October 3, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe you recognize him from Pan Am. He played Ted, the co-pilot

Comment by Jon – October 3, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice little video, love the show and Billy Burke. I was really happy to see that they did kill Mark Pellegrino’s character, one of America’s favorite guest stars :-) Hopefully we will see more of him.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 3, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “We’re sorry, but the clip you selected isn’t available from your location. Please select another clip.” -> Yay, thanks, NBC *facepalms. twice*

Comment by Delirious – October 3, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crossbows are especially effective in Revolution pilot, able to stop a running man with the force of a oncoming truck.

Comment by Floodlit World – October 3, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It really sucks when I can’t see the video cause it isn’t available for my location specially since I luv the show Revolution and have watched it since it started. It is a great show.

Comment by Susan – October 3, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FUN! I really enjoy the action in Revolution and I’ve gotta say Miles is my favorite character.

Comment by Renee – October 3, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed Revolution a lot, however, I thought that that sword fight was not at all convincing.. something was off. But, I do understand that this guy might not be an action star, and has could get better as time goes along…

Comment by Vanny – October 4, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wat kind of crossbow is that???? i know reverse draw but wat brand n model????

Comment by cock – November 15, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! That x-bow looks interesting as a prop, but I want to know if that one is available online so I can see the specs.

Comment by Walt – November 24, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post