American Idol's Mariah Vs. Nicki Feud: Will Short-Term Whoas Translate to Long-Term Woes?

Nicki Minaj Mariah Carey FeudI’m not gonna lie to you: I hastily clicked on TMZ’s “MARIAH SNIPES AT NICKI/ NICKI GOES BALLISTIC/ CAUGHT ON TAPE” headline the minute it landed in my inbox late last night. And right after watching grainy footage of Ms. Carey and Ms. Minaj’s dustup during American Idol‘s Charlotte, NC, audition rounds, the following thoughts went through my mind:

* “Thank God there’s a transcript, because I can’t understand a word these chicas are saying.”
* “I wonder if Nigel Lythgoe scripted this — or at least slipped a bonus check under Nicki’s dressing-room door to encourage her to instigate this.”
* “Holy hell, this is going to be Idol‘s highest-rated audition episode ever.”
* And finally, “Ugh, I really don’t want to see a whole season of this mess.”

It’s that final realization that got me thinking: Whatever your opinion of Idol — from Kelly Clarkson’s confetti-rific “Moment Like This” a decade ago all the way to Phillip Phillips’ coronation last May — the show’s enduring appeal has always been its ability to discover talented kids toiling away behind pawn-shop counters or slinging hash in greasy spoons and, in a matter of a few months, transform them into viable chart-toppers. And it’s never really mattered who’s been behind the judges’ table: That gig has been held down by a cranky British record exec; a loopy pop princess 10 years past her Billboard expiration date; an awkward songwriter-producer; a too-genial comedian/talk-show host; a loopy, scarves-obsessed rock legend; a former Fly Girl turned multihyphenate gajillionaire; and a dude named Randy Jackson. Idol has remained at or darn close to the No. 1 show on television through evey one of those personnel changes.

Sure, in recent years, a lot of Idol‘s off-season buzz has been generated by the judges’ annual “will-they-or-won’t-they” dance, but the Mariah-Vs.-Nicki feud seems very different. Does anyone really want to tune in to Idol on a weekly basis to see, at best, a mouthy rap artist try to verbally slay one of the grand divas of this generation, or, at worst, watch yet another tired iteration of the “two powerful ladies can’t share the same air” stereotype that, frankly, seems like a terrible fit for a show that’s trying to appeal to tens of millions of women.

To be fair, the inevitable Season 12 diva-off might breathe some renewed interest into the audition rounds, which for years have been most stale part of the Idol process. (The promise of Mariah calling Nicki a “three year old” certainly sounds funnier than another off-key vocalist in a Statue of Liberty suit.) But I wonder if Uncle Nigel might not offer Minaj a golden ticket to anywhere but the Steven Tyler Memorial Chair once the live telecasts begin sometime in March 2013.

After all, it’s one thing to air carefully edited (and carefully bleeped) shouting matches on one of the few network hits that appeals to everyone from Grandma to Little Junior, but it’s quite another to pull the pin on that grenade in the midst of a live telecast. And even worse than suffering blowback from the FCC or family groups in the event of a Roman Zolanski meltdown, there’s a far greater risk to the long-term health and brand identity of Fox’s reality behemoth: Potentially upstaging its next Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood or Adam Lambert. Without the wide-eyed, pre-platinum-selling versions of those kids, Idol would be as artificial and fleeting as Minaj’s next dye job.

What do you think? Is the Mariah-Nicki feud good for Idol, and if so, is this a long-term or short-term benefit? Do you worry that a nasty diva-off might irreperably damage the Idol brand? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. I feel bad for keith sitting between the diva’s

• jerzygirl45 says:

That’s what I was thinking. I hope he can duck under the table quickly.

• Kim R says:

When I saw the clip the first thing I thought was that Keith must be wondering how he is going to be able to get out of his agreement with Fox & Idol. The second thing I thought was what a poor, poor example is being set for the hopefuls as they audition in front of these “professionals”. I am still not sure why the Idol PTB went with Nicki in the first place. ??

• Carol T says:

I agree with you. This might be the last year for A.I.. Just looking at the table, it looks very foreign. I love Keith Urban and Mariah, but WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?! Nicki Minaj as a talent judge? Thank God Randy is still there! It’s going to be stressful for him to be sitting in between those two feuding females.

• Maria says:

Run, Keith. Run like the wind.

• Mary says:

I give Keith credit, if that was me I would run to the closet door and tell the producers you don’t pay me enough to subject myself to two juvenile artist. I think both should be can and hire some one who is there for the right reasons. I truly believe Keith is there for the love of helping some inspiring singer.

• basd tsakd says:

Keep Minay, let Carey go. This show needs some real cred.

• Matt says:

Easily the dumbest thing I’ve read on this site in ages. Mariah’s had her moments of craziness, but you can’t deny her legacy as an artist.

“Real cred…” As if Minaj will still be anything but a mainstay on Celebrity Rehab in 5 years, slobbering and crying over her brief flirtation with fame and success?

• deedee says:

“Easily the dumbest thing I’ve read on this site in ages.”
          In ages? I’d say maybe even dumbest thing *ever*. I’m no fan of Mariah Carey, but FFS, referring to Minaj as “real cred” when she’s been around for all of 4 minutes … Ugh. *eyeroll*. I can’t even …

2. Kristyn says:

Nicki is an idiot and made a total fool of herself. She’s a total diva.

• sauloccl says:

And everybody thought Britney was FOX’s next big train wreck…
      Wait until the first Idol live show when Nicki will appear with her newly shaven head screaming “Look what Mariah did to me!”

• Gorm says:

Nicky is not a diva. A diva is a talented singer whose breadth of career and performance abiliity lends them a sense of entitlement to take liberties within a song. Later that stretched to excusing demanding backstage behaviour, which was ostensibly demanded for the sake of the on-stage performance.

Nowadays, “diva” has been devalued to try and encompass anyone with a poor attitude in the music industry. I say not so, and I reject your definition Kristyn. Nicky, if anything is more comparable to a Sarah Baartman type, rather than a singer, much less so as diva. She is a novelty act paraded around white audiences for her large ass and ability to swear.

• Sharon says:

The idiot is Nigel. I knew this would happen and I’m a 70 y/o red neck grandma. Why didn’t he?

• nancy says:

I agree I can’t stand her

3. Jessica says:

This just makes me want to watch less. It’s one thing to bicker for a brief moment and have respect for the person but these two don’t seem to show an ounce of it towards the other.

4. RobMF says:

The fact that Nicki Minaj was allowed to disrespect Mariah Carey like that is outlandish in it’s own right. I may not be a fan but the fact of the matter is she is an icon and Nicki Minaj is nothing more than a musical fad and all around copycat of others doing the same thing right now.

• Carrie says:

I agree that she has no right disrespecting Mariah Carey, with all of her accomplishments, but I honestly think this is all just for publicity. The only reason they hired Minaj is because she’s known for being outrageous and they were hoping for rumors of a feud between her and Mariah to attract viewers. They’re just perpetuating the idea that two successful strong-minded women cannot get along, which is very irritating.

5. George says:

I haven’t watched Idol the past few seasons, but was debating on giving it another chance this year with all changes (don’t like Nikki Minaj, but at least she’s someone “different”). However, after this whole debacle I think I’ll continue tuning out thank you very much.

6. Blair says:

Minaj wasn’t necassary anyway. I’d watch just for Mariah, but for Nicki and Mariah? No.

7. Jake says:

I’m gonna be completely honest and say that at least for this season I’m done with Idol other than the weekly dose of Idology I have no sustainable interest in seeing Nikki Minaj on my TV screen. I’m not gonna fling hate at her, because I’m not the kind of person who would do that, but she’s really the one reason I’m not watching this year.

• JJ says:

I like how you said this. Me, too.

• agrimesy says:

Me three . . .

• djm says:

I’m with you. Last season I did not watch Idol at all – I just watched Idology and kept up with the contestants that way. The only time I saw Randy Jackson was when Slezak & Co were making him look like the tool that he is and frankly it was AWESOME! This Mariah vs. Nicki thing is so not entertaining to me so I will skip Idol this year and just tune into the REAL entertainment with Michael and Melinda.

• Snsetblaze says:

I’m debating about doing the same.

Last season, I found that Idol annoyed me. Ditto for the season before. On the other hand, I always smile while watching The Voice. (I should point out that I skip through the sob stories on both shows and just listen to the singing and critiques.)

• Carol T says:

We felt the same about last season. It felt like the judges were coached to promote who the producers wanted, not actually judging real talent. I realize that we may be in the minority group, but we did not like P. Phillips and if it weren’t for the judges idolizing him, would he have won the whole thing? No need to answer that, it was rhethorical.

8. Aaron says:

If this means they can disagree to actually give some constructive criticism, I’m all for it.

• Amber says:

Good point. The judges so rarely disagreed the past few years, and were so boring that I’d fast forward the dvr through them speaking. If they can manage to keep their arguments about the music and the singers, it might be more interesting at least

9. Judy Lushman says:

I think this staged scripted bs is only going to last for the short term. The viewers will soon get sick and tired of the bickering and tune in to another singing competition that considers the contestants more important than the judges

• Mary says:

What show would that be? The voice is totaling about the judges and Xfactor was last year lets see if this year is different.

10. marge says:

Nicki needs to check herself. Why she is even on the panel is beyond me.

11. Josh says:

I’m not watching…it’s already seems like it’s going to be a “judges season” and not about hte contestants..plus I wouldn’t be able to her Nicki Minaj tell anyone they can’t sing…at least Paula could dance so she had some talent…Nicki Minaj has nothing.

12. Leela says:

With the other two vocal competition shows already breathing down Idol’s neck, this behavior is completely misguided – scripted or not. Aside from a few trainwreck auditions on X-Factor and a little good-natured banter among the judges on both shows, they seem far more sophisticated than Idol’s parade of looney contestants and disaffected/egomaniacal judges. For my part I don’t want to see any of this (the sob stories on all 3 shows are bad enough), it is about the contestants after all, and it will ultimately hurt the show’s credibility (such as it is) if it hasn’t already.

13. Zomo says:

It makes me laugh that Nicki is getting the bad press when Mariah has been the one being grumpy that Nicki was cast in the first place. After a while of that, anyone would snap.

14. Julie G says:

I feel it might ruin Idol forever. I am not a fan of either Mariah or Minaj. But I love Idol. I just hope they can try to get along just for the Idol fans. Lets face it, they are woman, not children. So I hope they grow up.

15. Saulo says:

Nicki seems to be upset because Mariah doesn’t care about her opinion – and you really can’t compare their careers because it’s like water and wine. Nicki’s great achievement for me was the cover of Superbass made by those lil’ girls with pinky dresses on “Ellen”: Sophia Grace and Rosie. But she is still way more relevant than Randy Jackson now – or Paula when Idol started. Yes, it is a 3 year old behaviour – but I can see a scenario where Mariah simply ignores her until she loses her mind.

I don’t care about any of these women, so I’m gonna be honest: I think it’s going to be awesome. Since Abdul left the show we don’t have a weekly delightful train wreck on Idol. They’ll edit everything, of course, during the auditions stage.

Can’t wait to see the live shows. I’m very excited to see how Ryan Seacrest would handle this mess.

• Annie says:

So, selling over a million albums, being the first artist to have 7 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time, and several top ten hits pale in comparison to having two little girls cover her song. LOL, okay. I think it’s attitudes like this that show why Nicki is needed. The audience of AI needs to be expanded beyond the group of middle aged white women, who only like soft rock music, and who have a problem voting for anyone who isn’t a white male.

• Sara says:

Most of those songs she had a very limited role in. That is why that statistic is so misleading. Just because she rapped or “sang” one line for a song that was autotuned on repeat several times, does not mean the song is “her’s.”

• Mikael says:

I agree. It’s the same for Rihanna’s “Number ones” which she only has so many of because more than half are songs she just sings the chorus for. IMO, that shouldn’t count.

• Saulo says:

Annie, have you seen those girls? They’re SO, SO cute. Numbers are numbers, nothing more than this: I don’t give a s*** about the number of albums sold or songs downloaded. For me that fact that she (Nicki) is such an idol or an icon for a little kid speaks loudly of why she deserves the success she had so far. Their cover is a huge, huge honor. It’s not like a Grammy, of course, but says more about her than the number of people who bought her music. #IMO.

For me, millions of songs sold worlwide says nothing about credibility to judge other people. And that’s what Idol is all about. Nicki was not hired because she had 7 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 like you said. She was hired for being outspoken, crazy, fun…you choose the adjective. Mariah Carey, however, is the dictionary’s definition of “singer”.

I think Nicki could be fun to watch and a great addition to the show as you said, but if she choose to be just crazy, let her be… I love a train wreck and will definitely watch the live shows.

• sauloccl says:

I respect Nicki’s work, but come on… there has been 10000+ Mariah-esque contestants and how many rappers on Idol? How many hip hop artists? I can’t name a single one. She should be aware of the role she should have on this panel.

• Mary says:

Annie my problem is Rapping is not singing. Plus I do not enjoy watching a show that has to be bleeped every two seconds. I will bet money Nicki will not increase ratings, Kids do not watch these shows, so why offend your current audience? I will still watch but mute the judges except
        Keith. They hired her for shock value, but it will become old and they will lose more.

• millie says:

Well Annie, I’m a middle aged white woman who spent most of last season voting for Joshua Ledet, until I couldn’t take the judges’ self promotion anymore. Last time I checked Joshua wasn’t a white male. You know what they say about assumptions? But I watch Idol for the contestants, not the judges. I have no desire to hear a filthy mouthed woman with no discernable talent judge anyone’s singing. I’ve watched all seasons in full and most of last season. I won’t be watching this one.

• deedee says:

“So, selling over a million albums, being the first artist to have 7 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time, and several top ten hits pale in comparison to having two little girls cover her song.”
        … and this year, Katy Perry beat Michael Jackson for most #1 singles off the same album. Does this statistic make Katy Perry more talented than Michael Jackson? More culturally relevant? More successful? More accomplished?
        Oh, Annie. It’s not about moving past middle aged white women. It’s about expecting a certain level of decorum from our “stars”. I never had a problem with Minaj until she started cussing out HER OWN FANS, and they inexplicably just TOOK THE ABUSE. I don’t want to be in an abusive relationship with the artists I admire! Why would I? Why would anyone??
        Now Minaj is taking her foul, insecure, vile attitude, plus her complete lack of impulse control, and unleashing it on my favourite show! I don’t mind some conflict or tension to keep things interesting, but cheap, lowest-common-denominator trash? If that’s what “is needed” to get the desired audience, then I’m happy to jump ship and leave that total crap to you and your buddies.

16. Annie says:

The saddest part about the story is that of course it was Nigel or one of his flunkies who gave the tape to TMZ, and that means that Nigel is just stoking the situation, instead of trying to produce a good show. This is just typical Nigel Lythgoe and Simon Fuller type of behavior. This panel could be very good, but instead the emphasis will be on cat fights, instead of the judges having healthy disagreements. Nigel probably thinks the name calling is funny, which is just pathetic.

I can understand why Mariah would be insecure. She has all of the accomplishments, but she peaked over a decade ago. She needs to be on the panel to help her career, but Nicki doesn’t. She’s at the peak of her career, and is getting offers from all around the world. That has to upset Mariah, but she needs to realize that having Nicki on the panel can help both the show and her. With Nicki on board Mariah has the chance of catching the attention of a whole new audience.

• Gorm says:

Well put Annie. Its very telling that the show is going right back to its judge-centric roots. Focus wasted where it does not deserve to be. Why laud a heap of over-praised already made-its? Its a table full of millionaires doing the worlds easiest job.
      Imagine, just imagine if Idol leaked a tape of an absolutely killer audtioner. It would beautifully combat the remarkably weak XFactor crop we’ve been shown so far. And more so, it would indicate that the show cared more about the contestants than about the judges. Heck, the only reason they even have contestants is to give the judges something to talk about. Fuller, Lythegoe, Frout-Craptaz, Coke and Ford would love it if they could have the exact same cast as last season, but with all new judges. Thats who they really care about. I’d much rather they ihave B & C list credible judges and move the budget towards rewarding the top 10 contestants with increasing million dollar tiers of cash prizes. All least give the money to someone working and struggling for their art.
      But i wont get things my way. Im not goblin-mouthed Mike Darnell over at Fox.

• SOOOOOOOO don’t give a care about those two… I had thought the show was about finding the undiscovered talent… Oh, silly me.

17. cassie says:

It looks like the “change” they are creating in Idol is to make it more like Real Housewives of NJ or maybe World Wide Wrestling? The train wreck auditions were exploitive enough. This goes way beyond that. Impossible to think that this is a show about CONTESTANTS who hope to get their big break. Count me out! (Oh, and BTW, I read elsewhere that Mariah may have started the cat fight by calling NM a B***h.)

18. Lauri says:

Oh Michael, I just knew you’d write an article on this.

19. Bobbi says:

If the focus of the season is the judge’s panel and the discord between any of them, I’m gone. That’s not why I love Idol and I get enough reality pseudocrap on non-competition shows. I bailed on The Voice last year when Adam and Christina couldn’t act like adults and professionals and will do the same on Idol. Not what I want from this show.

But, hey……maybe they’ll get the younger audience they’ve wanted for years! Good luck with that.

• Chris says:

You should take up The Voice again. Xtina and Adam have been surprisingly nice to each other. Xtina even coaxed a hopeful to pick Team Adam as opposed to another coach.

…Of course, the producers most definitely told them to shape the hell up. But hey, at least it’s working!

20. Annie says:

Michael I don’t understand why you are seeing this as a one sided situation, when other sources state that Mariah baited Nicki. This is obviously not the beginning of the argument. Something happened to upset Nicki.

• deedee says:

And if Princess Nicki gets upset, she’s allowed to take a crap all over Creation? Who is she that she can get away with acting out like that at work?? Who gets to do that in life??!

21. ktbanks says:

I’m just hoping they can get over this middle school drama for the sake of the show. This is the first time in 10 years of Idol watching that the thought of not watching (fleetingly) crossed my mind. It’s a complete turn-off, and if Nigel knows what’s good for this franchise, he’ll put and end to it.

22. scorpo says:

where is the transcript?!!! I can’t understand what is being said either.

23. Tim says:

Paula/Randy/Simon worked because they had chemistry. This is just an assortment of big-name people they’ve put on there thinking they will bring in ratings. That type of thing never works.

24. Leo says:

This is all just another one of Uncle Nigel’s staged plots. Thankfully, he didn’t script this one. I’m certain Nicki Minaj will not make it to the live shows, she’ll probably make a “dramatic exit” during Hollywood week. At least her antics will make some of the audition tour watchable!

25. Stormy says:

1. Four judges is one too many
    2. Only limiting the voting will elevate the ratings.
    3. Nicki Minaj is not the right answer to any problem.
    4. Raise the minimum age for contestants.

• Gorm says:

5. Even one Randy is too many
      6. Time for Idol to start Giving Back again
      7. No more auditions from people suffering mental illnesses or clear delusions
      8. A strong accent is not permission to turn an audition into a clumsy comedy routine
      9. The Ford Music Video must die…
      10. …along with the current gang of proucers that have attached themselves to Simon Fuller like hungry, uncreative remoras.

• Stormy says:

No argument from me.

• Snsetblaze says:

All good suggestions but I’d add

No more sob stories. I don’t care who died or who had a fire or who lost their job or who escaped or who was bullied.

No more cliches in interviews with the contestants –
        I also don’t care that you’ve been “waiting all my life” when you are 15, 16 or 17 or that you’ve “worked so hard for this” or that “its my time” etc. etc. etc.

Can you sing well? Do you have some stage presence? Is your song choice interesting? That’s what’s important.

• Angela says:

Can you, Gorm, and Stormy all go work on “Idol” starting tomorrow? I like and support your ideas.

• Julie says:

A round of applause to all that!! Does anyone actually watch these types of shows ‘live’ as me and everyone I know all records so that we can fast forward through all that nonsense.

Also, has Adam Lambert said anything publicly about why he was passed by for the judging role? Would have loved to have seen him instead of that ridiculous little girl 5 minute wonder.

26. LC says:

Haven’t watched the last two seasons. Nicki Minaj only strengthens my desire to stay away.

27. hotshot says:

I was on the fence about watching AI this season. Minaj just pushed me over the rail.
    No way in He!! will I come home from a hard day at work to watch an ongoing cat fight – staged or real. Buh Bye AI. Click.

28. Get rid of Nicki, and I’ll be back on board.

29. agrimesy says:

I was an Amerian Idol fan. I mean, a SERIOUS fan! I posted on this forum a LOT! I sort of skipped out last year especially when it appeared another WGWG would win . . . and he did. Still, I believed in the show’s premise as Michael explained, the rags to riches dream come true for young talent. Unfortunately, Uncle Nigel has sunk to a new low. Didn’t he say he wanted to cater to a younger audience? How irresponsible can the man be? Judges (in general) are supposed to be leaders / role models. A younger audience may actually deem Nicki Minaj’s behavior acceptable . . . admirable even! Hey, if you don’t like how someone talks to you, cuss them out! That’s dangerous. I find the fact that this story broke at the beginning of October: National Bully Prevention Month very profound and a little sickening. I have opted not to watch Idol due to boredom, but this is the first time I object on moral gorunds.

30. Sara says:

Simple solution: Get rid of Nicki Minaj before the live rounds. If they absolutely need a 4th judge, which they don’t, bring on Adam Lambert! I think he would be great and would have great advise on both singing ability (which Minaj has no knowledge of) and spectacle (which is the only justification I can think of for bring Minaj onto the show). Furthermore, he knows what the contestants are going through. He would have been a perfect fit. I still don’t understand why they didn’t try harder to get him.

31. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

And so my prediction nears realization.
    Step 1: A no-talent, all-buzz performer like Nicki Minaj gets hired for the judging panel.
    Step 2: She and Mariah Carey get into constant cat fights.
    Step 3: Nobody wants to watch, except maybe those dumpster divers who are looking for a new train wreck now that “Jersey Shore” has been cancelled.
    Step 4: Ratings plummet to the point where the show is too expensive to be worth keeping on.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a television juggernaut dies. And if that isn’t how it turns out, than it should. I mean, isn’t 12 seasons long enough for any television show, especially a reality show that only runs one cycle a year? If they go back to Top 12 this year, the total number of finalists over the show’s history will be 144 (I’m not counting Jermaine Jones because he was a random Wild Card and then disqualified). Doesn’t that seem like a beautiful number? (Yes, I am slightly OCD.) Nothing can last forever.

32. jump the shark comes to mind…

33. FanSinceSeason2 says:

Idol needs to let Nicki Minaj go. I am a longtime viewer, and will not watch if this turns into the Real Housewives of AI. Besides, the show works much better with a 3 judge panel.

34. CJ says:

This is what happens when trailer trash is put on TV. Get rid of both Mariah and that Nicki train wreck and I might even watch this season.

35. There is nothing good about this judge’s panel. Even if they sat there and never said a word they’d still be annoying.

36. Angela says:

I have no idea if this is a real argument or something staged to drum up publicity and talk for the show.
    Either option doesn’t sound promising and good to me, though, and I’m really not in the mood to sit through a season of “Oh, my god, two women on the panel, will there be CATFIGHTS?!?!”. If that’s what “Idol” will consist of next season, then I’m not at all interested-it’d just be a total waste of my time.

37. Amanda says:

Nicki makes me want to watch Idol because they can put smack downs on past-their-prime divas like Mariah. Everyone knows how bitchy Mariah is for no reason other than she’s use to everyone kiss her butterfly butt. Sorry. Time for Mariah to get the reality check.

38. Sharron says:

I thought having Mariah was great but having someone like Nicki means I sure won’t be watching this season.

39. MikeJones says:

I would be just as annoyed if Mariah kept spilling her resume every chance she got. Give me a break why is she looking for validation. The true stars are the ones who don’t need to talk about themselves. Nicki had every right for blowing her off after her royal highness acted like she was owed something

• deedee says:

Nicki had every right to go off the rails like a crazed demon child because Mariah spilled her freaking resume?? Oh, poor, Minaj! Boo-hoo, having to listen to another person rattle off her successes!
      What will Minaj do when Randy talks about who he’s worked with? Will she dislocate his jaw? Will she stab him? Or will she spray gunfire into the audience? That kooky, irrepressible Nicki! Stay tuned!!

40. Ronnie says:

The video doesn’t show everything. But it has been clear from the beginning that Mariah did not want Nicki there. And I believe she has been going out of her way to try and make Nicki look bad any way she can. And if it’s true that Mariah called Nicky a B***h before the video started, then she only has herself to blame.

41. I am SO not going to waste my time with Idull this year. One of it’s charms was that the people behind the desk would argue, but in fun and jest. They were the people who *cared about the kids, and wanted them all to do their very best* shtick. Think of Paula and Simon crayoning each other while praising the singers in season 8. It felt like a dysfunctional family, but still a family. Now its all about the overpaid egos behind the judges’ table, that and Jersey Shore dialogue. Really, who’s going to give a hoot about the kids? The producers have signed their own death warrant when they signed the contracts based on maximizing demographics instead of creating chemistry, or instead of maybe mentoring singers! They cynically chose dramarama over professionalism, so they deserve what they get. I’ve said it before, #IdolhasJumpedTheShark

• Mary says:

Sorry I think Simon and Paula were rude in season eight. They put the focus on them not the contestants, but I mainly chalk that up to Simon getting ready to check out. I do agree the judging panel has become the center of the show, where I am sorry the contestant are taking the back seat. I appreciate having judges giving good critiques. Mariah might have been edging her on but that is no excuse for the rant. be professional, that means Nigel too and handle the situation.

42. Christina says:

If these two are going to be squabbling all the time then people are going to be tuning out. I watched that last season of X factor in the UK where Kelly Rowland and Tulisa were fighting all the time. It was nasty and not enjoyable to watch, and the viewers tuned out. Fighting judges is not a good thing.

43. Dan says:

Nicki Manaj is the sole reason that after all these years, I will most likely not watch Idol this season.

44. Angela says:

While I’m very sure the video was “leaked” for publicity and ratings, I’m still not sure I understand why Nicki Minaj was ever hired for the show. It turned AI from an occasional pastime to a definite must-miss for me. With such a short career she hasn’t earned “Diva” and as a rapper she’s already tiresome because if ever someone was just a derivative, imitative shadow of far better performers, it’s Minaj. So really, what advice of substance could she possibly offer? “Oh that green wig works on you!!! But you need to make more funny faces ’cause audiences just love that!!” On the upside, as a non-substantive, flash-in-the-pan, she IS a clear winner.

45. Susan says:

I have watched Idol since Season 1. I watch for the talent, not the judges (Idol Simon excepted) I do not watch The Voice, The X Factor or AGT since it seems to be ALL ABOUT THE JUDGES. Sadly, I am planning to delete Idol from DVR if this is to be the focus. The talent and the journey of the Idols was the show’s point of differentiation, no need to mimic the lesser shows. Really idiotic judging panel decisions and change of focus. Still time to correct your mistake Nigel!

46. AJ says:

already removed Idol from my PVR. I’ll just watch Idology here :)

47. Diana says:

Like last season, I’ll just watch Michael and Melinda dish about the show, youtube the good performances, and ignore the judges, because I thought the show was supposed to be about the talent.

48. raftrap says:

I say swap Minaj for Cheryl Cole. End of problem.

49. rick says:

IMO season 10 the was the best AI put out.This is the last act of a desperate show.After Haley left, somehow A I hasn’t bin the same

50. Jared says:

I love how American Idol is turning into something like Basketball Wives. The cursing..cattiness..name calling..they’ll be fists fights and drinks from there coca cola cups being thrown by the live rounds!