Sneak Peek: Can the Once Upon a Time Folk Leave Storybrooke? Plus, Jefferson's Back!

Now that the curse has been broken on Once Upon a Time, some of the denizens of Storybrooke will try to leave the sleepy town in this Sunday’s episode (ABC, 8/7c). We’ve got a sneak peek at the seven dwarves’ attempt to step past city limits, as well as the return of Sebastian Stan’s Jefferson (aka the Mad Hatter) and the introduction of Sinqua Walls as Lancelot.

VIDEO | New Spoiler Alert!: Rating the Premieres of Castle, Grey’s, HIMYM and More — Plus: Once Scoop!

Could Charming be standing in the way of an imminent escape from Storybrooke? The following photos seem to suggest he’s got an argument for staying put. This week’s installment, “We Are Both,” also gives fans another glimpse into the Evil Queen’s past, which means her wicked mother Cora (Barbara Hershey), is back on the scene.

RELATED | Who Is Once Upon a Time‘s Mystery Man? We Spy 12 Clues

Then on Oct. 14, Once presents “Lady of the Lake,” in which Emma, Mary Margaret, Mulan and Aurora team with the knight Lancelot to find a portal back home. Meanwhile, Henry has a heart-to-heart with Jefferson and tries to convince him to seek out his daughter. But the family reunion that has us grinning is the one between Henry and Grandpa Charming, as they engage in some pretend sword fighting. (The nearby lurking of Charming’s fake pops, played by Alan Dale, can’t be good, can it?)

Check out the gallery below and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

Comments (44)

• Coolest. (and Hottest). Grandpa. Ever.

Comment by Di – October 2, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You made me laugh so hard! Pic 8 melts my heart.

Comment by Olivia – October 2, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! He and Snow are definitely the hottest grandparents I’ve ever seen

Comment by Jess – October 2, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly. I love the pics of Charming and Henry (I’m glad I saved this article. SpoilerTV was missing some of the pics). Especially the swordfight: someone’s gotta teach Henry the family skill :)

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – October 7, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool pics,yay for adventure!!

Comment by Shaun – October 2, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the relationship between Henry and Charming. I always felt Henry needed a male role model in his life.

Comment by Jared – October 2, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody else find Jamie Chung’s performance of Mulan about as stiff as a cardboard cut-out?

Comment by JC – October 2, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her character doesn’t matter to me, I focus on the core players. So, I just didn’t pay attention to her acting.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I did not like her or Aurora. Hope they are gone soon.

Comment by patti – October 2, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! She was terrible.

Comment by Babybop – October 2, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. I guess they wanted a name, and Lucy Liu is obviously tied up on CBS, but there are plenty of other Asian actresses out there. Grey’s Anatomy has had quite a few, I believe.

Comment by Emily – October 2, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see Jefferson coming back. He was one of my favorites from last season and I hope we get to see a lot more of him. I’m also disappointed that the show seems to be in no hurry to address the August issue. He was a main character for the whole back half of last season and his death was a pretty prominant part of the season finale. Why is he just being ignored?

Comment by Erin – October 2, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve already said he’ll be back, but won’t say if he’s still wood or not. Can’t think of which episode off hand.

Comment by Ronnie – October 2, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re thinking of August/Pinocchio. Jefferson is the Mad Hatter.

Comment by Emily – October 2, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oops, sorry. Never mind. I didn’t read all of Erin’s post!

Comment by Emily – October 2, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone in SB is trying to find their butts with both hands right now. When they start to get it together, the Blue Fairy/Mother Superior can restore him.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about August. I get that there is a lot going on right now in Storybrooke, but I would think if August was important enough for Emma to run to during her attempt to save Henry, he would have been important enough to run to after the curse was broken.

But Templar is right. If he needs to be restored by Mother Superior/Blue, she doesn’t have a wand or Fairy Dust, so they will have to address that first (mining for diamonds, etc).

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 3, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is August? If the spell was broken he should b back

Comment by Tblond – October 2, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • August was never under the curse. He failed in his duty to Emma. IMO Only the Blue fairy can restore him.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope he’s stiff. I don’t care he was just a kid, he deserves it for abandoning Emma.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 2, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Lancelot and Jefferson. I wonder if he’ll get his hat back.

Comment by tp – October 2, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why did Mulan and Aurora and Lancelot and who knows who else stayed behind in fairy tale land? why didn’t the curse take all of them? or did Snow and Emma also go back in time?

Comment by Michael Sacal – October 2, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They said that the spell didn’t reach that corner of the kingdome. I believe that it is a current time line.

Comment by judy – October 2, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As explained in the premiere, some parts of FTL were untouched by the curse for some reason that we don’t know yet. Snow and Emma are still in present time

Comment by Jess – October 2, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It left one corner of land that has Mulan, Aurora, Lancelot, Cora and presumably Hook.

Comment by xav – October 4, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am also P.O. That they haven’t said anything about August and trying to look online for any info turns up nothing which is weird. I though the actor was maybe doing some episodes of Covert Affairs and that’s why no mention but no nothing. So this leads me to believe there is a reason he is under wraps. With magic beign different in SB I don’t have much confidence that he will be back to human form.

Comment by A.B. – October 2, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charming&Henry are awesome. Love the family stuff.Hate that we are missing out on Charming&Emma bonding. Jefferson being back is cool. I do want more of him and August. Rumple connected to every single character is getting over board but knew that it would happen with the miller’s daughter origin story. No Belle in next couple of episodes kinda stinks cause we miss out on her seeing houses,phones, cars,etc for the first time.

Comment by patti – October 2, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love OUAT! Glad to have fairy tale personalities back as I missed a kick butt Snow and Charming. This show is fabulous and keeps getting better as does REVENGE.

Comment by Tracy – October 2, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That scene between Charming and Henry looks awesome. I can’t wait!

Comment by nick1372 – October 2, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charming boys are soooo adorable together i think this is great cuz hes more like a father to henry who never had one im soooo excited

Comment by fiona – October 2, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at Jefferson. I will watch anything that Sebastian Stan stars in. Anything.

Comment by Nikki H. – October 2, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is so hot. I completely agree.

Comment by Skeff – October 3, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well since Emma is the only one that KNOWS August has turned back to wood and didnt really get a chance to tell the others and that as far as anyone else knows, Austust is just a mysterious stranger…so with that said no one in storybrook will be seeing if he’s okay.
    I’m sure when Emma returns she’ll check up on him.

I’m more curious how big the town really is, and if there is a prison AND if there’s a prison are Reginas guards and former allies or other villians being held there?

Comment by AhDam – October 2, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If he’s staying a Granny’s Hotel they’ll find him when they clean the room, or Henry will look for him. And with their memories restored, everyone will know who to go to for help, Gepetto/Marco and Blue Fairy/Mother Superior.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Henry knows who he is and that he was returning to wooden form. So Emma isn’t the only one who knows who he is.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 3, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m curious, if next episode they’ll show Regina’s past, does it mean we won’t see Emma and Snow at all? That’s a HUGE disappointment. I don’t care for Regina or her past. Nothing can justify her actions. I want Emma and Snow bonding :( I hope they’ll do all three locations or I’ll be really ticked.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 2, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the Henry and Charming interaction. And hoping Lacelot and Snow’s backstory and Snow and Emma’s bonding will push Mulan and Aurora into tag-alongs for present day FTL. Mulan was stiff as a board, Aurora is so cliche snotty pre-femanist fairytale princess it’s gotta be a gimmick, and her interaction with Philip was horrible. True Love lost some street cred for me with those two. IMHO Rumple should get an award for summoning that beasty and give an honorable mention to Regina for the idea to send it to FTL, thus putting an end to half of that love disaster. Or is it a love triangle? But not the one Aurora was accusing. Anyone else think offing Prince P is an excuse to turn Mulan and Auora into FTL’s homage to Xena and Gabrielle in some Warrior/Princess romanc’n? Two ladies alone, fighting monsters in a war-torn magical land… Don’t tell me I’m the only one who thought it!

Comment by ej – October 3, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of really like Aurora, Mulan was ok, but I really can’t stand her hairdo… am I to believe that a character in a medieval fantasy world uses hair gel? seriously?

Comment by Carda – October 3, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is coming from a place of love and concern, but Jesus Christ Snow! Stop getting effing poisoned dummy. I feel like Loki, “Are you ever going to not fall for that?”

Comment by Terry – October 3, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post