New Spoiler Alert!: Rating the Premieres of Castle, Grey’s, HIMYM and More — Plus: Once Scoop!

Get More: Spoilers, Video

Apologies in advance if it seems like Matt Mitovich and I are talking extra fast in this week’s Spoiler Alert! But there was a lot to discuss!

First, we dissect the season kickoffs of How I Met Your Mother, Grey’s Anatomy, The Good Wife and a few other shows.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Our Handy Guide to 65 October Premieres, Finales and Specials

Then, Once Upon a Time’s Evil Queen herself, Lana Parrilla, stops by to add a bit of hocus-pocus to our jibber-jabber; Matt’s Private Practice prediction hints at a heretofore-unimagined clairvoyant streak; and Mandy Patinkin confesses that the game-changer in Homeland’s upcoming second episode gave him a physical reaction “that isn’t polite to say!”

What is it?!

Click below to (all but) find out. Plus, be sure to stay tuned through the closing credits: That’s where Kristen Schaal blurts out her story arc in the final season of 30 Rock!

Comments (33)

• Lana Parrilla is definitely in the running for cutest human.

Comment by xav – October 2, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When she smiles, she looks so much like Angelina Jolie to me (in a good way). They could easily be sisters.

Comment by gdv – October 2, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG Now I cannot wait to see Homeland’s 2nd episode!!!!

Comment by tvaddict – October 2, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok, now I’m totally antsy for the second episode of Homeland. I’m wondering if this game changer has something to do with Brody burying someone in the woods….and if it does, who is he burying??? But then…it seems too obvious….why show your big game changer scene in a trailer…..so…..eeeek!!!

Comment by Alichat – October 2, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have no idea what it could be. They didn’t say a death so maybe someone else starts to suspect Brody and launch their own investigation like Carrie did in season 1?

Comment by tvaddict – October 2, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe….but I don’t know how that would be a game changer though. I thought about the death of the VP…..not by Brody? Or the death of Nazir. Or Nazir appearing on US soil. Perhaps we find out who the mole is, which I’ve suspected is Estes. Sounds exciting regardless. Anything that gets Mandy Patinkin to react that way has to be startling.

Comment by Alichat – October 2, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • For Patinkin to have such a big reaction, maybe he is a mole (although, honestly, this would be too devastating for words).

Comment by ben – October 2, 2012 01:20 PM PDT
          • ben, my biggest fear about this show for awhile has been that Saul is the mole. You are right, that would be devastating. I’m freaked that it’s the truth.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 3, 2012 12:08 AM PDT
      • Just a guess, but I think he’s burying (after murdering) whoever found that memory card of his confession. They probably contacted him, wanted to “work something out” (maybe it was blackmail, maybe not), but if Brody knows someone has seen that video they probably have to go…
        Can’t wait!

Comment by Saint Alicia – October 2, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All I hope for is that by the end of the season, Brody’s screwed for a change, and Carrie comes out on top to make up for last season’s finale.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 2, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one wondering how the people on Grey’s Anatomy can have their kids just disappear whenever it’s convenient? Seriously, it’s the middle of the night, Derek is at work and Meredith just decides to take off?! Where is Zola?! Because I’m 85% sure that Lexi wasn’t babysitting this time.

Hospital daycare doesn’t change the fact that it’s irresponsible.

Comment by Drew – October 2, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe with Meredith’s dad or some other never seen family member?

Comment by tvaddict – October 2, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Speaking of which, I think we really should see the other sister again at some point.

Comment by Drew – October 2, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s like Molly disappeared when Lexie came, the poor thing. She’s somewhere in Africa, now grieving her mom, sister, and with an alcoholic father.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 2, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Am I the only one who wonders why you feel the need to judge fictional characters’ parenting skills. It’s TV. It’s not real life you know.

Comment by Jalinne – October 2, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We spent how long dealing with stories about them finally getting a child? So, they have one. Now the writers need to act like it. It would also be distracting if an alcoholic character was walking around with a beer.

Comment by Drew – October 2, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s so funny when people like you say the old “it’s just a tv show” when someone says something negative about your favorite character. Don’t sit there and act like you never judge some aspect of a show, movie or book. Yes, it is indeed just a tv show. Better to judge that than someone in real life, like you’re doing now, I’d say. It’s perfectly harmless to critique art and literature. Haven’t you ever heard of something called “critiquing”? Geez, people these days. Grow up.

Comment by Mahala – October 2, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well to be fair Zola easily could have been in daycare through their actual working shifts but they also already knew that Mark was being let go at 5pm so it is reasonable to assume that they already had lined up a babysitter seeing as how they knew thats where they would be. That being said Mer had planned to stay at the hospital for Marks death so her deciding to fly off wouldnt necessarily have had an effect on that. They could have arranged for the Zola to spend the night with someone since it would clearly be a hard night for them. The point is real life parents find babysitters its not hard to do Mer and Der don’t always make the best choices but pretty sure they can find a babysitter.

Comment by Krystina – October 2, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True enough. And I don’t know many rich people who could afford to fly off whenever they wanted to anyway, but most people I know with children wouldn’t leave town on a whim. I just found it distracting, considering how often we saw Lexi babysitting, that they didn’t even have a comment about dropping Zola off with a babysitter or having a nanny now or something. But for Meredith decide to actually leave town and hop on a plane… it’s a bit different than being at the hospital. A babysitter is usually a “here’s the number where I can be reached” situation.

The presentation of the characters didn’t have “parent” in the mix during the premiere. I don’t know if I’m saying it in a way that makes sense, but it is what it is.

Comment by Drew – October 2, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Full time live in nanny?

Comment by schmist – October 2, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The end of the episode as Meredith was on the plane showed Derek playing with Zola at the house.

Comment by Tom – October 2, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Creative rejuvenation for Castle indeed. The first two eps have been perfection.

Comment by Lisa – October 2, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait! Everything looks good this year.

Comment by Keren – October 2, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is superb as usual. Stana and Nathan are rocking the house with great acting. So much wit, humor, and love. Greatest show ever!

Comment by Teri – October 2, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the Mandy Patinkin (Holla) title card!

Comment by Corinne – October 2, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like an interesting story arc for Regina.

I’m loving everything about OUaT right now.

Comment by BelleRumpleFan – October 2, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the 2nd episode of Homeland, and it is absolutely a game changer. Completely shocking, left me breathless.

Comment by yours truly – October 2, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t want to know what happens, but I’m dying of curiosity to know how you saw it?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 3, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh! I read the Homeland twist online and was unsure if it was accurate, but the way you talked about it, I am now sure it is. Cannot wait for the second episode

Comment by Lauren – October 2, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones was rejuvinated? Seriously? Bones is unwatchable. Please dont compare Castle and Bones.

Comment by Marmie – October 2, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • last season of bones was bad, but this new season is awesome! It again about the cases, booth/brennan talks….. you should watch it! (:

Comment by Lucy – October 2, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope to god the Homeland spoiler isn’t out there online somewhere, I don’t want to accidentally stumble upon it. But I’m going to guess that either Jessica or Dana gets a hold of the SD card. Dana seems the most likely as she would never turn in her dad. Just please, please, please don’t let it be that Saul is the mole! One question I always had about the first season was how was Brody intending on his family getting the SD card after his death? He seemed to hide it pretty well. If there was some kind of provision in a will or something that perhaps a lawyer knew where to find it, could that be in play now?
    Aus and Matt, as always, you guys are adorable! Thanks for the spoiler tv! Your adorableness makes me regret every mean thing I’ve ever said on this website. I do try and keep it to a minimum out of respect for how adorable and nice you guys are. Sorry if I’m not always successful.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 3, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post