New Spoiler Alert!: Rating the Premieres of Castle, Grey’s, HIMYM and More — Plus: Once Scoop!

Apologies in advance if it seems like Matt Mitovich and I are talking extra fast in this week’s Spoiler Alert! But there was a lot to discuss!

First, we dissect the season kickoffs of How I Met Your Mother, Grey’s Anatomy, The Good Wife and a few other shows.

RELATED | Save the Dates! Our Handy Guide to 65 October Premieres, Finales and Specials

Then, Once Upon a Time’s Evil Queen herself, Lana Parrilla, stops by to add a bit of hocus-pocus to our jibber-jabber; Matt’s Private Practice prediction hints at a heretofore-unimagined clairvoyant streak; and Mandy Patinkin confesses that the game-changer in Homeland’s upcoming second episode gave him a physical reaction “that isn’t polite to say!”

What is it?!

Click below to (all but) find out. Plus, be sure to stay tuned through the closing credits: That’s where Kristen Schaal blurts out her story arc in the final season of 30 Rock!

1. xav says:

Lana Parrilla is definitely in the running for cutest human.

2. tvaddict says:

OMG Now I cannot wait to see Homeland’s 2nd episode!!!!

• Alichat says:

Ok, now I’m totally antsy for the second episode of Homeland. I’m wondering if this game changer has something to do with Brody burying someone in the woods….and if it does, who is he burying??? But then…it seems too obvious….why show your big game changer scene in a trailer…..so…..eeeek!!!

• tvaddict says:

I have no idea what it could be. They didn’t say a death so maybe someone else starts to suspect Brody and launch their own investigation like Carrie did in season 1?

• Alichat says:

Maybe….but I don’t know how that would be a game changer though. I thought about the death of the VP…..not by Brody? Or the death of Nazir. Or Nazir appearing on US soil. Perhaps we find out who the mole is, which I’ve suspected is Estes. Sounds exciting regardless. Anything that gets Mandy Patinkin to react that way has to be startling.

• ben says:

For Patinkin to have such a big reaction, maybe he is a mole (although, honestly, this would be too devastating for words).

• Britta Unfiltered says:

ben, my biggest fear about this show for awhile has been that Saul is the mole. You are right, that would be devastating. I’m freaked that it’s the truth.

• Saint Alicia says:

Just a guess, but I think he’s burying (after murdering) whoever found that memory card of his confession. They probably contacted him, wanted to “work something out” (maybe it was blackmail, maybe not), but if Brody knows someone has seen that video they probably have to go…
        Can’t wait!

• All I hope for is that by the end of the season, Brody’s screwed for a change, and Carrie comes out on top to make up for last season’s finale.

3. Drew says:

Am I the only one wondering how the people on Grey’s Anatomy can have their kids just disappear whenever it’s convenient? Seriously, it’s the middle of the night, Derek is at work and Meredith just decides to take off?! Where is Zola?! Because I’m 85% sure that Lexi wasn’t babysitting this time.

Hospital daycare doesn’t change the fact that it’s irresponsible.

• tvaddict says:

Maybe with Meredith’s dad or some other never seen family member?

• Jalinne says:

Am I the only one who wonders why you feel the need to judge fictional characters’ parenting skills. It’s TV. It’s not real life you know.

• Drew says:

We spent how long dealing with stories about them finally getting a child? So, they have one. Now the writers need to act like it. It would also be distracting if an alcoholic character was walking around with a beer.

• Mahala says:

It’s so funny when people like you say the old “it’s just a tv show” when someone says something negative about your favorite character. Don’t sit there and act like you never judge some aspect of a show, movie or book. Yes, it is indeed just a tv show. Better to judge that than someone in real life, like you’re doing now, I’d say. It’s perfectly harmless to critique art and literature. Haven’t you ever heard of something called “critiquing”? Geez, people these days. Grow up.

• Krystina says:

Well to be fair Zola easily could have been in daycare through their actual working shifts but they also already knew that Mark was being let go at 5pm so it is reasonable to assume that they already had lined up a babysitter seeing as how they knew thats where they would be. That being said Mer had planned to stay at the hospital for Marks death so her deciding to fly off wouldnt necessarily have had an effect on that. They could have arranged for the Zola to spend the night with someone since it would clearly be a hard night for them. The point is real life parents find babysitters its not hard to do Mer and Der don’t always make the best choices but pretty sure they can find a babysitter.

• Drew says:

True enough. And I don’t know many rich people who could afford to fly off whenever they wanted to anyway, but most people I know with children wouldn’t leave town on a whim. I just found it distracting, considering how often we saw Lexi babysitting, that they didn’t even have a comment about dropping Zola off with a babysitter or having a nanny now or something. But for Meredith decide to actually leave town and hop on a plane… it’s a bit different than being at the hospital. A babysitter is usually a “here’s the number where I can be reached” situation.

The presentation of the characters didn’t have “parent” in the mix during the premiere. I don’t know if I’m saying it in a way that makes sense, but it is what it is.

• Tom says:

The end of the episode as Meredith was on the plane showed Derek playing with Zola at the house.

4. Lisa says:

Creative rejuvenation for Castle indeed. The first two eps have been perfection.

5. Keren says:

I can’t wait! Everything looks good this year.

6. Teri says:

Castle is superb as usual. Stana and Nathan are rocking the house with great acting. So much wit, humor, and love. Greatest show ever!

7. Corinne says:

Loved the Mandy Patinkin (Holla) title card!

8. BelleRumpleFan says:

It sounds like an interesting story arc for Regina.

I’m loving everything about OUaT right now.

9. yours truly says:

I’ve seen the 2nd episode of Homeland, and it is absolutely a game changer. Completely shocking, left me breathless.

10. Lauren says:

Oh! I read the Homeland twist online and was unsure if it was accurate, but the way you talked about it, I am now sure it is. Cannot wait for the second episode

11. Marmie says:

Bones was rejuvinated? Seriously? Bones is unwatchable. Please dont compare Castle and Bones.

• Lucy says:

last season of bones was bad, but this new season is awesome! It again about the cases, booth/brennan talks….. you should watch it! (:

12. Britta Unfiltered says:

I hope to god the Homeland spoiler isn’t out there online somewhere, I don’t want to accidentally stumble upon it. But I’m going to guess that either Jessica or Dana gets a hold of the SD card. Dana seems the most likely as she would never turn in her dad. Just please, please, please don’t let it be that Saul is the mole! One question I always had about the first season was how was Brody intending on his family getting the SD card after his death? He seemed to hide it pretty well. If there was some kind of provision in a will or something that perhaps a lawyer knew where to find it, could that be in play now?
    Aus and Matt, as always, you guys are adorable! Thanks for the spoiler tv! Your adorableness makes me regret every mean thing I’ve ever said on this website. I do try and keep it to a minimum out of respect for how adorable and nice you guys are. Sorry if I’m not always successful.