Ratings: Once Upon a Time Returns Strong to Top Night, 666 Numbers Low, Mentalist Bests Miami

ABC’s Once Upon a Time conjured up a double win on Premiere Sunday, besting all non-sports competition in both total audience and in the coveted 18-49 demo.

Once returned to 11 million viewers and a 3.8 rating, down just 14 percent and two tenths from its series debut, and up sharply from its freshman finale.

RELATED | Who Is Once Upon a Time‘s Mystery Man? We Spy 12 Clues — Plus, Our Season Premiere Recap

Leading out of that, Revenge christened its new time slot with 9.5 mil and a 3.2, down 10 percent and a tenth from its series debut but up 20 and 33 percent from its freshman finale. Revenge matched Desperate Housewives‘ final season premiere while drawing a few less viewers.

RELATED | Revenge Season 2 Premiere Recap: Mom’s the Word

Capping ABC’s night, 666 Park Avenue opened to 7 mil/2.2, dropping about 30 percent of Revenge’s numbers and down 30 percent from Pan Am‘s year-ago debut. Versus GCB‘s March launch, 666 drew fewer viewers while tying the demo.

Over on CBS, The Amazing Race started Season 21 with 9.7 million total viewers and a 2.5 rating, down 17 percent in the demo from its year-ago premiere. The Good Wife, with 9.8 mil and a 1.8, was down 8 and 18 percent from its previous premiere. The Mentalist broke in its new time slot with 10.8 million viewers and a 2.1, down a good 20 percent from its last, Thursday season opener but up 35 and 24 percent from the CSI: Miami series finale.

Fox’s The Simpsons opened Season 24 with 8 million total viewers and a 3.7 rating, down just a hair year-over-year. Bob’s Burgers (5.4 mil/2.5) dropped 32 percent of that lead-in but was up 32 percent from its previous premiere. Versus their own year-ago openers, Family Guy (6.5 mil/3.3) was down 15 and 20 percent and American Dad (5.2 mil/2.5) slipped 10 and 17 percent.

NBC’s coverage of the Giants-Eagles Sunday Night Football game delivered a 15.6 overnight rating and a 25 share, marking a 16-year high for a Week 4 match-up.

1. Christa says:

Revenge was AWESOME!!!

• iMember says:

I concur! The was a fantastic season premiere along with Once Upon A Time. And this is Revenge’s 2nd highest rating so this is AWESOME news!! Love this show, so glad to see it doing really well. This season is going to be pretty fantastic with how they’ve set it up. ABC Sundays are the new best nights of the week!

• greysfan says:

I agree. It was a fantastic return and glad to see the ratings of Revenge get a 3.2. Once Upon a Time is a beast. To get a 3.8 on a Sunday is amazing. I was excited for 666 Park Ave but it didn’t leave me wanting to watch more. I will see how we go over the next couple of weeks before i ditch it completely.

To be honest with you the only 2 new shows i have enjoyed so far are Last Resort and Made in Jersey. Elementary was woeful as its the same sort of show CBS pumps out every single year with a different title. The comedies have been underwhelming and the only other show i am looking forward to is Nashville.

2. David4 says:

Maybe with 666 being dead (no pun intended) ABC can move things around to get Last Resort out of it’s horrible timeslot and save a good show.

• ben says:

Lets not assume bad things for Last Resort yet. Would love to see it in a good timeslot, but it has gotten positive reviews everywhere, and reasonable ratings for its Friday repeat. Hopefully it can be this year’s Person of Interest and build some audience through buzz.

3. Andrea says:

For all the promotion ABC did with 666 I’m very surprised in the numbers for it. Overall ABC had a great night though.

4. shuayb says:

Yeah, but there wasn’t too much to be excited about 666. And Vanessa Williams is more of a commedienne than a drama actress.

5. R says:

666 Park Avenue was actually a good show.. given that AHS has again brought the attention to horror genre, i kinda like it! I have been a fan of Rachael Taylor since her days on Grey’s so hoping this series would keep getting better.

Being said that, I still miss GCB and its quirky comedy! sometimes it still leaves me wondering WHAT would have happened in season 2 with Amanda and Pastor and all the other GCB’s

• Sherri says:

I loved it too!

• L says:

I too miss GCB.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, 666 was just okay but didn’t leave me with the same can’t-wait-for-the-next-episode feeling that GCB (or for that matter, Revenge or Scandal) did. Didn’t expect off-the-rails shenanigans a la American Horror Story but it lacked the kind of creepiness that I was hoping for. I’ll stick with it but I can’t see it lasting the season.

• stellalunaa says:

I really liked 666. I thought the Once premiere was odd, it seemed like everyones acting got worse over the break. I LOVE Revenge. But I’m definitely tuning into 666 again. I liked Last Resort too.

• Rain says:

I can’t in any way compare 666 Park Avenue with AHS – since I adore AHS and couldn’t stand 666. However I completely agree about GCB. It was a great show and I’d love to know where they would have taken it in season 2!

6. Sherri says:

I loved 666, different kind of show, hope it goes up in the numbers!!

7. Christian says:

Revenge had a minute overrun so expect it to be adjusted up and match last year’s premiere. That is effing amazing considering it had Modern Family as a lead-in for its premiere last year and it changed nights and time. I love ABC!

8. Tammy says:

Didn’t watch 666 yet because we watched Homeland last night. I really hate having Revenge and Good Wife opposite each other.

9. L says:

Love it. Demon deals – cool badness but no hell hounds (frowny face). Glad to see Vanessa Williams. I will be back to watch next week. Can’t wait to see what happens.

10. Till says:

666 airs at the same time that Homeland. Maybe it explains the low ratings? I’d like to know how the S2 premiere performed.

11. L says:

Once Upon a Time was great. Unfortunately, they were only happy for about 5 minutes before the crap hit the fan again.

12. Shimmerinstars says:

“Once Upon A Time” a brilliant concept for a show has been on and off the mark all of S 1 and in its S2 premeire at such a pivotal point in the show it was just horrible.

• Rachel says:

I don’t even know what this comment is saying. But considering the ratings and reviews, I’d say you are in the minority

• jen says:

agree with rachel. ouat — a brilliant concept– -turned into an amazing show with perfectly casted actors– produced and written by people who really care about the quality of program they present. as the ratings and reviews show.

13. Ally Oop says:

Im glad Revenge did well. I tuned into Once Upon a Time and while its still a bubble show for me, I will tune in again next week. 666 Park fell flat for me. Still have Good Wife saved on my DVR.

14. tvaddict says:

I watched ABC last night so I am glad Once & Revenge are doing well. 2 of my favorite shows from last season- I just wish GCB had survived and aired at 10PM

15. Christian says:

I hate CBS and their reliance on generic sitcoms and procedurals, but I love The Good Wife so I’m disappointed in its ratings. One of the best dramas on tv. Why aren’t people watching? It’s way better than NCIS and yet NCIS is CBS’ highest rated show? It just does not compute! I guess people just want easy, mindless entertainment!

• Shaun says:

I thought from the beginning that Good Wife was kinda meh and it doesn’t seem like a show that people would gravitate towards without following it the whole series.

• Saint Alicia says:

Completely agree. TGW is so smart and engrossing but I guess that’s not what people are looking for these days. Intricately crafted plots which run entire seasons (if not longer) and aren’t spoon-fed to viewers apparently asks too much from the masses.

• Diane says:

Totally agree with all you said – however this type of season-long storyline show is my very favorite! I think the vast majority of people are not smart enough to understand all that is being portrayed – also – attention spans seem to be getting shorter and shorter. The “instant gratification syndrome” abounds!

• Jess says:

I know I’ll be the minority here but I didn’t like The Good Wife and I gave it a fair chance for me. I just didn’t like it at all. As well as, I love NCIS and this season is one of the best season to date and its not mindless entertainment, if you watched it from season 1 like I have, then you would understand but that is my opinion.

16. Joel says:

I feel like this will lead them to rethink the 666 timeslot. I see a Nashville 666 Park Avenue Swap

• CMG says:

I can’t see that happening. Nashville has gotten very good press, and is looking to be another strong series for ABC. They wouldn’t move it to a Sunday night cellar slot. A Revenge/Scandal pairing, however, seems to make a nearly perfect pairing. That would seem more likely to me.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, it would’ve made complete sense to pair Scandal with Revenge. Frankly, Revenge being sandwiched between two fantasy/supernatural type series seems odd and out of place.

• Diane says:

Totally agree – dumb time slot planning. Sometimes I can’t understand the network folks thinking. Scandal and Revenge would be an awesome pairing!!!

17. Dean says:

Wonder how Dexter did. It was a great episode! Moving The Mentalist to make room for the drab and boring procedural, Elementary was stupid (atleast Mentalist is never boring even though its a procedural)! Patrick Jane’s character is more closer to the real Sherlock Holmes then what Elementary’s Holmes will ever be!
    The Good Wife is still amazing!
    I ditched OUAT mid-season last year since it veered too much into the kid friendly territory and got boring for me. Is it worth to watch the show now?

• iMember says:

Once Upon is definitely worth the watch, and you should DEFINITELY watch Revenge! Like, it’s a must-watch show.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I think your instincts on OUAT are correct. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys Dexter and finds procedurals boring for the most part, then you probably wouldn’t like OUAT. It’s not really any different from what it was last season. I’ve never had anything more than a “meh” reaction to the show, and I do kinda feel like it’s made for teens. Plus last night they blatantly ripped off Harry Potter, and that made me cranky.
      If you’re into Sherlock, but didn’t like Elementary, may I recommend you try the BBC miniseries of Sherlock? Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty good, he plays him very much like someone who’s borderline sociopathic, but he still finds a way to keep the character sympathetic. The modern updates they do on the original Sherlock Holmes stories are pretty good. I think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would be proud.

• Dean says:

Yeah I saw that they ripped off Potter with dementors in them. That was the reason I was curious about the show again. lol.
        I love the BBC version of Sherlock. One of the best adaptations ever.

18. G says:

I thought 666 Park Avenue was okay. It didn’t blow me away as a must watch though. I will stay tuned for another episode or two to see if it gets better.

19. Chris says:

Figures…watch 666 and like it and now theyll cancel it.

20. Randy says:

666 is an ABC pot luck show. Take a Lost/ Alias actor, add a Desperate Housewives/ Ugly Betty actress, toss in a Brothers and Sisters actor, and a Greys Anatomy/ Charlies Angels actress for flavor. This show is so recycled it should win an award as the greenest show on tv. That being said, it has potential but the premiere was not great. Especially following Once and Revenge which were excellent.

21. tiffany ann says:

revenge was my favorite of the night though i also enjoyed ouat. i decided to give 666 a chance since i will probably be glued to abc for the other 2 shows throughout the season anyway….it was alright at best. i agree that the skill of the cast is greater than the content of the show. it’s unfortunate because the themes of 666 are pretty unique to tv right now.

22. Kelly says:

Once Upon a Time was great. I loved the Charming family reunion. Wish David and Emma would stop getting shafted on one on one interaction. Love Belle&Gold. Disliked Mulan and Aurora and the copying of Lost’s awful formula of too many newbies,desmond like entrance and flashforward-sideways.

• Jess says:

I do kinda agree on that but I don’t get how they knew it was 28 years before the time started up again. I thought the family reunion was way too short but I love the season opener! I also agree the Mulan and Aurora was weird for me. I love Belle, I’m so glad she came back to stay because I really do wonder if he going to change or not. I can’t wait to see where they are going to go with it next week.

23. sarah says:

I really liked 666 Park Ave! Maybe because I like Robert Buckley and David Anable!
    Sadly though it will get cancelled if the numbers are worse than Pan Am’s were!

24. NEK5552 says:

I would have watched 666, but its timeslot is bad everything come on sunday night. If it was on another night I would watch even through I am boycotting ABC for the soap diaster it did last year. That would have been a good enough show for me to watch, but the time slot is out for me.

25. tp says:

No one mentioned The Mentalist. I guess people really are tired of Red John.

• tripoli says:

I’m not. I am so out of the loop now that I don’t have cable I had no idea it was on last night. Must check it out online immediately.

26. OMG i’m doing my happy dance for Revenge, this is a show that deserves 9 million viewers, I hope both Once & Revenge stay like this all season long or rises.

I’m sad to hear the news for 666 I think it was great to pair it with Revenge & Once. I hope it stays strong all season with 7 million or rises.

27. topsyturvy says:

The greatest travesty of 666 is the Robert Buckley is in the cast and he wasn’t shirtless last night. What a waste! Head’s should roll!

28. arthew says:

People had told me that Once should have, with rewriting, ended after the first season. After the show last Sunday they cam back and said, see we told you so.

29. Gilda says:

Yah Once Upon A Time!
    I actually liked 666, hopefully it will build buzz as the season goes on

30. Danielle says:

I’m so glad Revenge is back! God it’s the best show on tv. If you don’t love it.. You’re crazy. Now as for 666 Park Avenue.. I DVR’d it.. Watched it last night and wasn’t completely impressed. I understand that the first episode of most new shows are boring seeing as how they have to introduce you to the characters. However, This is a show about a supernaturally run complex but there should have been more supernatural occurences. Something to pull you in. It didn’t have enough of that.. But if you need a reason to watch, The girl getting her head smashed in by the elevator door was pretty awesome. As well as the man being ‘eaten’ by the souls living in the walls. I’ll keep trying. I hope others give it a real chance. At least three episodes.

31. Joy says:

The Mentalist new time slot is the pits. I had to get part of it on Cdn channel and even that one missed the first few moments because the Amazing Race ran late pushing both The Good Wife & the Mentalist further back Can’t CBS at least tell TAR to keep to their hour and leave our shows alone.

32. Walkins says:

I really like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.