Exclusive

S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Meet the Members of Joss Whedon's New ABC Pilot!

S.H.I.E.L.D. your eyes if you don’t want to be spoiled, because we’ve got some cool info about Joss Whedon‘s forthcoming project.

TVLine has obtained casting details regarding the ABC pilot, which is helmed by the Avengers writer/director and based on a peacekeeping group that appeared in both the summer blockbuster and various Marvel comics.

The live-action pilot’s title is an acronym for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, a covert organization run by Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury in the movie.

Buffy creator Whedon is tentatively set to direct the pilot; he’s also slated to write the series with his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

RELATED | The CW Sets Airdate for Joss Whedon’s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

Among those fighting the good fight:

SKYE | This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD | Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy  skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

What do you think of these character outlines, TVLiners? Who would you like to see cast in the roles? Hit the comments and sound off!

1. Justin says:

Skye – Anna Torv
    Agent Grant Ward – Adam Baldwin
    Agent Althea Rice – Aubrey Plaza
    Agent Leo Fitz – Seth Gabel
    Agent Jemma Simmons – Chiaki Kuriyama
    Agent Maria Hill – Cobie Smulders

2. Jesse says:

I’d love to see Molly Quinn as Agent Jemma Simmons!

3. Ray says:

Another use of pre-existing IP and fan base designed to grab free viewers at the expense of the IP. Notice the list of characters didn’t include Nick Fury himself. We might see an occasional super hero cameo but it isn’t about super heroes (This isn’t “Avengers on TV”). Expect this show to be like a family oriented rip off of Nikita.

4. Logan Gray says:

SKYE | Summer Glau (tried to, but couldn’t find anyone better suited)
    AGENT GRANT WARD | John Pyper-Ferguson (if you haven’t seen his amazing guest appearance on Fringe, you’re missing out)
    AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Kristen Connolly (I was all–OH YES!)
    AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | Enver Gjokaj and Leah Gibson, respectively (Enver can play ANYTHING, and Leah was super-good on Caprica!)

5. cj says:

Must be nice to have a brother who can hand you a tv show.

6. Mcat says:

I wonder how one could audition for this show…

7. Hannah says:

You can’t even imagine how happy I would be if William Moseley plays Agent Leo Fitz and Anna Popplewell played Agent Jemma Simmons. That’s probably just me, though.

8. Daniel says:

Tricia Helfer as the Cavalry?

9. sabina says:

TOM WELLING! YES PLEASE!

• Arlene says:

Tom Welling, no thank you, ditto for Erica Durance. I prefer this series remain free from any ghost of Smallville.

10. shanna says:

Since Fringe is ending, I say get Jasika Nicole in there.

11. Pao says:

Tom Welling = AGENT GRANT WARD!

12. Logan Gray says:

I’d like for James Marsters to play a role on the show.

13. Sam says:

After “Buffy,” “Angel,” “Firefly,” and “The Avengers,” I have no doubt that this will be awesome as well!

14. wcw43921 says:

Something I would have liked to have had in the Avengers movie was for Hawkeye and Black Widow to use their code names more often–it would have just seemed more “superheroic” to me. Honestly, they only got mentioned twice in the movie–Black Widow in the interrogation scene and the computer readout at Coulson’s station, and Hawkeye in that same readout and during the big battle.

I thought Coulson should have had a code name as well–I just can’t decide if it should have been “Paladin” or “Fanboy.”

With that in mind, here are my suggestions for the TV characters code names–

Agent Skye sounds like an “enticement artist” to me–I’m thinking her code name should be Lorelei.

Agent Shaw should be Ulysses–a play on his first name.

For Agent Rice–Calvary is a good code name, but I also think Valkyrie would work as well.

Agent Fitz would be Swift, after Tom Swift. Agent Simmons would be Possible–because of a remark during her training that “she could do anything.”

Hope you like those–if not, come up with some you like better.

15. JamesC says:

The last 2 characters will be the 2 from the marvel one shot right?, “item 47″ I think it was called

16. Good Times says:

Grant = Steve Byers. (Desaad in Smallville)

17. logan says:

AGENT GRANT WARD-Alexis Denisof
    AGENT ALTHEA RICE-Eliza Dushku
    AGENT LEO FITZ-Tom Lenk
    AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS-Jewel Staite
    Also, James Marsters in a recurring role

18. randomfan says:

Aww…no Sitwell? But he was so awesome in Item 47!

19. CANCELLED IN 5 says:

ANOTHER HOLLYWOOD LEFTY SELLS OUT, FOR GOVT PROPAGANDA SHOW, Yea. ALREADY BORED. YOU SOLD OUT THE COUNTY, NOT COOL. DESTROYING THE COUNTRY, PROMOTING BIG BROTHER?? TAKING OUR RIGHTS TO PRIVACY?? YEAH SURE THAT’S COOL, NOT. **YOU OLD BALDHEADED*** SELLOUT.

20. Jennifer says:

No! No Alexis Bledel! She can’t act!

21. Mark says:

I definitely want to see the Buffyverse alum on this series. I read how some people want Adam Baldwin. I agree with this as well. But also not from Buffyverse and an ex costar with Baldwin, I would like to see Zachary Levi aka Chuck here too.