S.H.I.E.L.D. Scoop: Meet the Members of Joss Whedon's New ABC Pilot!

S.H.I.E.L.D. your eyes if you don’t want to be spoiled, because we’ve got some cool info about Joss Whedon‘s forthcoming project.

TVLine has obtained casting details regarding the ABC pilot, which is helmed by the Avengers writer/director and based on a peacekeeping group that appeared in both the summer blockbuster and various Marvel comics.

The live-action pilot’s title is an acronym for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, a covert organization run by Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury in the movie.

Buffy creator Whedon is tentatively set to direct the pilot; he’s also slated to write the series with his brother Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

RELATED | The CW Sets Airdate for Joss Whedon’s Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

Among those fighting the good fight:

SKYE | This late-20s woman sounds like a dream: fun, smart, caring and confident – with an ability to get the upper hand by using her wit and charm.

AGENT GRANT WARD | Quite the physical specimen and “cool under fire,” he sometimes botches interpersonal relations. He’s a quiet one with a bit of a temper, but he’s the kind of guy that grows on you.

AGENT ALTHEA RICE | Also known as “The Calvary,” this hard-core soldier has crazy  skills when it comes to weapons and being a pilot. But her experiences have left her very quiet and a little damaged.

AGENT LEO FITZ and AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS | These two came through training together and still choose to spend most of their time in each other’s company. Their sibling-like relationship is reinforced by their shared nerd tendencies – she deals with biology and chemistry, he’s a whiz at the technical side of weaponry.

What do you think of these character outlines, TVLiners? Who would you like to see cast in the roles? Hit the comments and sound off!

Comments (245)

• Enver, Enver, Enver – give the boy a job! He do anything they need him to do.

Comment by Adele – October 1, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can*

Comment by Adele – October 1, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally watching this, but… what exactly does SHIELD do? If a typical day in the office is anything like the Item 47 short film, then… the show is Fringe. Fringe with funnier dialogue and more guns/kung fu.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 1, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keepin’ it 100% Whedon…

Skye = Summer Glau
    Ward = Adam Baldwin
    Rice = Amy Acker
    Fitz = Enver Gjokaj
    Simmons = Dichen Lachen

Comment by Paul – October 1, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye – Kristen Bell
    Grant Ward – Joel Kinnamon
    Althea Rice – Yvonne Strahovski
    Leo Fitz – David Anders
    Jenna Simmons – Amy Acker

I’m hoping these are fake names used for casting but really we will be seeing actual S.H.I.E.L.D. agents like Clay Quartermain, Abigail Brand, Jessica Drew, etc.

Comment by Fox – October 1, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surely a soldiers character isn’t known as a hill the romans crucified people on…..more likely she is known as “The Cavalry”. You know, as in the horse mounted warriors of yester-year.

One of my pet peeves, every god damn show on the planet that tries to use the term cavalry uses Calvary instead. Quick! Call in the hill!!!! That will show them.

Comment by Bob – October 1, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Shiri Appebly as Agent Jemma Simmons
    Jason Behr as Agent Leo Fitz
    The last two played Max and Liz on Roswell I might have spell their name wrong
    Erica Durance as Agent Jemma Simmons
    Tom Welling as Agent Leo Fitz

Comment by Aleana – October 1, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seth Gabel as Agent Leo Fitz. Seems like he would fit the part.

Comment by Cynthia Clements – October 1, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You got the Roswell names right, Aleana! Would love to see them back together on a show!!

Comment by Jj – October 1, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Clay Quartermain, Jasper Sitwell, Daisy Johnson and Jimmy Woo??

Comment by Shane Saylor – October 1, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Natalie Morales (Wendy Watson from “The Middleman”) and Ellen Wong (Knives Chau from “Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World”) in the cast.

Comment by Barry Woodward (@Barry_Woodward) – October 1, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling!

Comment by Meager – October 1, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Marvel Thailand Fan.

Comment by marvelthailandfan – October 1, 2012 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking maybe Fran Kranz or Alan Tudyk for Leo, and maybe Kristen Connolly for Jemma.

Christina Hendricks for Althea, but that might be redhead overload with Kristen as well. I could also easily see Gina Torres or Charisma Carpenter. Who knows? Maybe a newbie.

Tahmoh Penikett is Grant. I can easily see that.

For Skye, I think having a veteran Whedonverse actress may take away from the character, but I could be wrong. If I were choosing from the veterans, I’d say either Summer Glau, or Dichen Lachman.

Since I’m assuming this is supposed to tie in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I wonder if we’ll see more of Enver Gjokaj’s NYPD Cop character, and Ashley Johnson’s Beth character from Avengers.

Comment by Morgan W – October 1, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dream cast:

Althea = Michelle Rodriguez
    Ward = Jeffrey Dean Morgan
    (Everyone else I don’t care)

Comment by liz – October 1, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan but he has a regular gig on Magic City.

Comment by Velvet – October 2, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Jeffrey Dean Morgan but then that character would die.

Comment by mawhi – October 2, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tahmoh Penikett as Ward and I would love to see Enver Gjokaj again regularly on a TV series!

Comment by Meerna – October 1, 2012 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Dream Casting for S.H.I.E.L.D. (As of right now……)

SKYE………………………………………………. Yvonne Strahovski
    AGENT GRANT WARD……………………….Adam Baldwin
    AGENT ALTHEA RICE………………………..Eliza Dushku
    AGENT LEO FITZ……………………………….Zachary Levi
    AGENT JEMMA SIMMONS…………………Summer Glau

The only way this could get better is if the plan is to get Fitz, and Skye together…LOL.

Comment by Tater – October 2, 2012 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zachary Levi’s already playing Fandral in Thor: The Dark World. I doubt that they’d cast him in two different roles in the same shared universe

Comment by D – October 2, 2012 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That true, But Chris Evans is Captain America and The Human Torch/Johnny Storm …..So with a little behind the camera magic I think they could pull it off with Zachary.. Plus he has facial hair a Fandral..So if he was Agent Fitz just have him be clean shaven..lol.

Comment by Tater – October 2, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Facepalm* It’s Marvel, not DC comics.

Comment by Jamie – October 2, 2012 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wishlist, I’d be fine with any of these actors!

Skye = Dianna Agron (I’d kill to see her work with Joss!!), Yvonne Strahovski
    Agent Ward = Enver Gjokaj, Jamie Dornan, Tahmoh Penikett
    Agent Rice = Cobie Smulders, Eliza Dushku, Mia Kirshner
    Leo Fitz = It has Fran Kranz written all over it lol, but I’ll add Seth Gabel and Tom Lenk just for good measure ^^
    Jemma Simmons = Amy Acker, Felicia Day, Autumn Reeser

/dreaming

Comment by Alex – October 2, 2012 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adding Morena Baccarin to the list for Agent Rice!

Comment by Alex – October 2, 2012 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitelly Summer Glau to one of the female roles and would love to see Adam Baldwin there.

Comment by ogy86 – October 2, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Chyler Leigh would make a pretty good Skye actually.

Comment by RyanC – October 2, 2012 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Summer Glau could very well play Skye.

I will not make the mistake to mix up the description of the role and the real Summer; that’s where acting come into play.

Joss Whedon discovered her in Angel (her first role) and must have appreciated her performance since he hired her in Firefly, then in Serenity inwhich she was clearly the break-out character.

That a brilliant writer like Josh Friedman hired her for the pivotal role of Cameron in TSCC says volume about Glau’s ability to play complex characters.

Did i mentioned that Whedon hired her in Dollhouse the minute she was available for a role? I have no doubt about Summer’s talent; she has played two of the most iconic characters in recent sci-fi history and is beloved by many fans for a reason. Some may like her looks while some may not but her talent is not debatable.

Back to SHIELD cast : i guess a lot of people will be disappointed when the cast will be announced, including me.

Comment by Summer Glau admirer (@chrisdvanne) – October 2, 2012 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t know she appeared on Angel!

Comment by Mikael – October 2, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you mean the Cavalry? A military unit requested for emergency back up?? Or The Calvary a hill in Jerusalem where Jesus of Nazareth was sacrificed?

Comment by Peyton – October 2, 2012 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance as Skye

Comment by Emanda – October 2, 2012 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark Vallery as Grant. Human Target needs a job.

Comment by jrm – October 2, 2012 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, he’s a regular on Body of Proof this season.

Comment by GeekGirl13 – October 2, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s the time line on this? Is this for next season?

Comment by EveatEden – October 2, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey people in a bubble – Yvonne Strahovski has work, she’s doing this season of Dexter. So, well, kind of busy.

Comment by Kiki – October 2, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is only going to have a small multi episode arc…..So if by some chance they don’t kill her off at the end of her scheduled episodes She will still likely have an opening… Besides she will all but certainly have finished filming her 4-7 episode arc by the time they get S.H.I.E.L.D. ready to star filming.

Comment by Tater – October 2, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it me, or does Althea seem almost written for Gina Torres?

Comment by Jessica – October 2, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else just imagining the Firefly cast…? No? Just me. Okay.

Comment by Lindsey Lyons (@lindseylyons) – October 2, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about all of them but I think Arielle Kebbel would make a good Skye. I would love to see Mark Pellegrino as Ward, as well.

Comment by Toni – October 2, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After reading all the comments with suggestions of people for the cast I have to say the casting on this is going to be 100% the deciding factor on if I watch it or not. There are a ton of suggestions here that would absolutely ruin the show for me.

Comment by Rain – October 2, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am all about Adam Baldwin, he simply equals awesome.

Comment by Kate Garner – October 2, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Adam Baldwin and Amy Acker get a good regular gig. I can take take or leave Eliza Dushku. I never liked her as Faith on Buffy. She was a good fit for Dollhouse. I def want more James Marsters on my TV.

Comment by Velvet – October 2, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • JAMES MARSTERS

Comment by Velvet – October 2, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • erica durance and tom welling are terrible…i pray joss keeps them far away from this series.

i would love to see eion bailey in this since it looks like pinocchio’s not a regular on Once anymore, and surprise…he is a whedon alum from buffy.

Comment by liz – October 2, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes TOM Wellinng. Tom is not Tom is not ‘terrible! terrible are the actors who work with the help of powerful friends and rich! Tom is a good actor honest!!!!!

Comment by Sarah – October 2, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant see eliza dushku in a show where she isnt the lead, not a co star tho i can see adam baldwin in this. Hes totally SHIELD material

Comment by Renee – October 2, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If How I Met Your Mother finishes this year we could even see Cobie Smolders’ Maria Hill! I would like to see some Joss Whedon regulars in there, but maybe only side characters.

Comment by Liz – October 2, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skye: Katherine Isabelle. No question.

Comment by Nick R – October 2, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s upsetting that it seems like they’re using all original characters and none from the Marvel universe. Where is Clay Quartermaine? And they don’t all need to just be plain SHIELD agents. How about introducing Spider-Woman?

Comment by Mikael – October 2, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erica Durance as Althea Rice and Yvonne Strahovski as Skye.

Comment by Nina – October 2, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes I want Tom Welling on my television! TOM is a fantastic actor and has a lot of charisma and charm.

Comment by Sonia – October 2, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alexis denisof for agent grant!

Comment by Sarah – October 2, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill. Also, Kristen Bell!

Comment by Chris Griffin (@Chris_Griff_3) – October 2, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling forever! Adam B. born 1962 Tom W. born 1977

Comment by Nola – October 2, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mockingbird isn’t in this?SHIELD is semi interesting and all,but you need someone to stick out from the regularness of SHIELD agents!!

Comment by Shaun – October 2, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife just jumped in with Ian Somerholder, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, think I see a trend forming? No care that they are doing their own shows, great in any role she said…….. ! Bless :) some Firefly cameos would be good I think, but some great shows have been pulled up short this last year, good list to choose from so id not be surprised to see new faces?

Comment by markus wallace – October 2, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dichen Lachman! For Grant, Jesse Williams – he can leave Grey’s. This is more important. Also Amy Acker. Gina Torres.

Comment by mawhi – October 2, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jon Bernthal for Grant

Comment by Vbear – October 2, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOM WELLING for agent Grant! OK!

Comment by Susan – October 2, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post