What to Watch Sunday: Homeland, Dexter, The Good Wife and 10 Other Premieres — Whew!

On TV this Sunday: Premiere Week’s closing night is also its most jam-packed one, and it includes a little something for everyone. For the dramatic among you, the Emmy-winning Homeland, plus Revenge, Once Upon a Time, Dexter, The Good Wife and The Mentalist are back for more. If you want a laugh, The Simpsons and the rest of Fox’s Animation Domination line-up returns, while The Amazing Race and ABC’s spooky new 666 Park Avenue serve up thrills and chills, respectively. (And don’t forget 60 Minutes, if you want to feel smart at the office tomorrow.) Now all you’ve got to do is figure out how to fit it all on your DVR. All told, here are 13 programs worth checking out.

7:00 pm 60 Minutes (CBS) | Season 45 (!) begins with interviews with U.S. General John Allen, Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on 47 Returning Shows

8 pm Once Upon a Time (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: The characters aren’t transported back to fairytale land upon awakening from Queen Regina’s curse — now why is that? The opening minutes will confound, while a surprise ending that dwarves all others (heh heh) will astound. Read our quick observations about the magic-packed hour and dive deep into our full preview. (Also, if you need a little catch-up, catch the “Magic is Coming” Season 1 recap airing at 7 pm.)

8 pm The Amazing Race (CBS) | Season 21 kicks off with a new twist: One team might be able to win a $2 million grand prize instead of the game’s usual $1 million. Players include pro monster-truck drivers, members of metal bands White Lion and Megadeath and a double amputee.

8 pm The Simpsons (Fox) | Season 24 premiere: When almost all of his former girlfriends (voiced by Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Silverman and Natalie Portman) tell him to buzz off, Bart decides Mary Spuckler (New Girl‘s Zooey Deschanel) – now living in New York — is the love of his life. “She’s the one he hasn’t been able to get a hold of, so she’s the last hope,” executive producer Al Jean tells TVLine. When Lisa and Marge accompany Bart to the Big Apple, they wind up at a free Shakespeare production in the park that doesn’t go as planned.

8:30 pm Bob’s Burgers (Fox) | Season 3 premiere: A biker gang mourns the loss of its leader and Louise suffers an identity crisis when her ever-present bunny ears are stolen.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

9 pm Dexter (Showtime) | Season 7 premiere: How will Dexter try to spin the series-changing moment that happened at the very end of last season? And will Deb believe what he says? Check out a preview of the season ahead.

9 pm The Good Wife (CBS) | Season 4 — which features a crazy-good roster of guest stars and a scene that barely made it past the censors — kicks off with Alicia fighting a state trooper on Zach’s behalf, Kalinda standing up to her estranged husband and Diane and Will dealing with the firm’s financial woes.

9 pm Revenge (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: Emily’s still on the offensive, Takeda’s back, there’s a new guy in the mix and Nolan …may be moving in? All told,  Emily VanCamp promises a season that is “almost crazier than Season 1.” (Read TVLine’s full preview.)

9 pm Family Guy (Fox) | Season 11 premiere: The Griffins climb Mt. Everest in an attempt to best Lois’ old boyfriend Ross and his wife (voiced by Elizabeth Banks). But problems – well, bigger problems than the obvious ones – come up when a storm strands them on the mountainside. (Read a preview.)

9:30 pm American Dad! (Fox) | Season 8 premiere: Roger opens a bar in the Smiths’ attic and recruits Hayley to sing there; Stan tries to prove his manhood by getting a good price on a new car.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: 25 Fresh Faces That Are on Our Radar – and Should Be on Yours

10 pm Homeland (Showtime) | Season 2 premiere: An asset from Carrie’s old life comes in from the cold. Get more top-secret scoop here, here and here!

10 pm The Mentalist (CBS) | Season 5 premiere: Jane tries to figure out Lorelei’s connection to Red John and the CBI team must partner with the FBI to solve a hotel employee’s murder. Get spoilers here.

10 pm 666 Park Avenue (ABC ) | Series premiere: Henry (Brothers & Sisters‘ Dave Annable) and Jane (Grey’s Anatomy‘s Rachael Taylor) move from the Midwest to New York City, to manage a grand old Upper East Side apartment building owned by Gavin (Lost‘s Terry O’Quinn) and his wife Olivia (Ugly Betty‘s Vanessa Williams). The owners, though, have a dark side that is seemingly connected to the supernatural events that take place within the edifice. See what Dave Annable told TVLine about his new gig.

Comments (82)

• Once Upon a Time
    Revenge
    666 Park Avenue
    The Good Wife

I don’t have showtime but LOVED the first season of Homeland. I guess I will have to wait until netflix has it

Comment by tvaddict – September 30, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boardwalk Empire and the Season 2 premiere of Homeland!

Comment by Holly – September 30, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time
    The Good Wife
    666 Park Ave
    RHONJ Reunion

Comment by teamo – September 30, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once, Revenge, and Homeland tonight.

Comment by nick1372 – September 30, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As good as Thursdays (Grey’s, Elementary, BBT) this season.. I’m Watching OUAT, Dexter and Homeland.. Have to DVR the Mentalist (its got commercials, yo!)… Oh.. Ad when does GoT start? :D

Comment by DarkDefender – September 30, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also might check out 50Shades of the Good Wife on Demand depending on the recaps I read.. ;)

Comment by DarkDefender – September 30, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Game of Thrones until March.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 30, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good thing we have the books to tide us over until then!

Comment by DarkDefender – September 30, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TGW, OUAT & 666 PARK AV

Comment by Emily – September 30, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s the best night ever, isn’t it? Homeland, Dexter, Treme, Boardwalk Empire for me! I’ll probably catch a few others, but those 4 are what I’m truly most excited about. I think once Walking Dead is added into the mix, my head might explode.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 30, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have DVR so abc all night for me. I’ll have to catch up on the Good Wife later.

Comment by Chris – September 30, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge was my fave new show of last fall season (which I actually dismissed prior to its debute and actually didn’t start to watch until four episodes in during a rerun week when nothing else was on). The Good Wife and Once Upon a Time I tuned into for a couple episodes each then quit but I will be giving both another shot tonight–thanks to the love it’s gotten on this site. I will also tune into 666 Park just because Locke is on there but I doubt I’ll watch beyond tonight. And, sigh, I’ll watch Mob Doctor tonight too (it airs on Sundays in Canada) even though it’ll likely be cancelled soon (I actually like that show). Also, there’s a new episode of Heartland on too. So tonight my must-see shows are Heartland and Revenge. Of the other shows (OUAT, Good Wife and 666 Park) from tonight’s episodes I will decide which ones are keepers for next week.

Comment by Ally Oop – September 30, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • P.S. I wish I had the option of watching Homeland. Damien Lewis was brilliant in Life and Claire Danes is brilliant in everything I’ve seen her in. Too bad its on Superchannel in Canada which I don’t have access to with my cable provider.

Comment by Ally Oop – September 30, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *sigh* I still miss Life.

Comment by Jenna – September 30, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought Thursday’s were a busy night! I’ll be watching ABC’s great Sunday lineup, while recording Homeland and The Good Wife. I’ll also check in on the football game.

Comment by Jessica – September 30, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife, The Mentalist, Revenge, 666 Park Avenue (super excited about this series premiere!)

Comment by Lorie – September 30, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post