Who Is Once Upon a Time's Mystery Man? We Spy 12 Clues — Plus, Our Season Premiere Recap

Get More: Premieres, Scoop

Following that peculiar but Easter egg-laden-opening two minutes….

In fairytale land, we meet Prince Phillip, who’s about to revive Sleeping Beauty aka Princess Aurora with true love’s kiss. Before he does so, he advises his companion (Mulan), If this works, we don’t tell her everything, not right away.” And work it does, Phillip and Aurora joyfully reunite, and the trio start on their way to a “safe haven” away from the new, non-Maleficent dangers that loom. Hmmm. The trio witness a wraith burst out of the ground, then quickly scamper away (being daylight and all). The Wraith, Mulan explains, will hunt down and suck the soul out of whomever has been marked by a talisman – in this case, Phillip, who keeps his mark to himself.

VIDEO | Which Once Upon a Time Newcomer Has Ginnifer Goodwin Snow Excited?

In Storybrooke, Snow, Charming, Ruby, Granny and the Seven Dwarfs reunite. “Now, I find my daughter,” says Snow—and Emma is right there behind her. “So it’s true,” the understandably stunned sheriff remarks. Snow pulls her in for a hug, crying, “You found us!” And if your eyes weren’t welled-up yet, Henry lobs a “Grandpa?” at Charming. The Blue Fairy arrives with a status report on the purple smoke, saying that it brought magic to town, but that the magic operates differently. Snow’s itching to talk to Emma about finding each other, and Emma shows some empathy – “I’ve thought about this moment my entire life!” — but her first priority is to find Gold/Rumplestiltskin and see what he pulled. Spying a lynch mob marching toward the mayor’s residence, the group dahses off to save Regina, since as Henry notes, “She’s still my mom!”

On her front porch, Regina welcomes the storming villagers, then goes to unleash some magical whoop-ass… but comes up empty. Whale then goes in for the kill, but Charming stops him (as in doing so wonder who the heck the doctor really is). Regina for now is thrown behind bars, where she explains to Charming that everyone wasn’t sent back to fairytale and because it no longer exists. Regina is then visited by Rumplestiltskin, who reveals that he knows all about Belle’s 28-year imprisonment – and that Belle has forbidden him from killing his adversary. Instead, Rumple marks Regina’s palm with the talisman, then goes to the woods to bring a wraith to this realm, to seek out its mark and kill her.

RELATED | New Once Upon a Time Episode Titles Revealed: Whose Backstories Are Coming?

Again, Snow tries to talk to Emma about their reunion, but Emma makes clear that it simply isn’t so damn “happy.” She grew up alone, in foster homes, she explains. Snow says the alternative was to be cursed with everyone else. But at least we would have been together, Emma notes. “Which curse is worse?” Touché.

Later, Emma confronts Gold about his treachery and duplicity, but he counters that Henry is A-OK, the curse was lifted and he has a plan to take out Regina. A nicely cleaned-up Belle overhears his semantic loophole, and runs out on her love.

The wraith begins wreaking havoc, first attacking Regina in her cell (until Charming and Snow step in), then later at the courthouse(?). There, Regina has a plan, to use the Mad Hatter’s hat to open a portal back to the non-existent fairytale land – aka “oblivion” – and send the wraith through it. After getting a “power” boost from Emma’s touch, Regina makes the hat do its thing. But as the wraith storms them, Emma gets pulled into the hole after saving Regina’s life, and Snow, determined to not lose her daughter again, jumps in after her. Charming, meanwhile, lunges too late, his wife and daughter lost to… where, exactly? Regina doesn’t know, nor can she vouch that they’re still alive. Regina will get them back, though, Henry declares upon arriving at the scene – or he’ll have nothing to do with her.

Cut to fairytale land, where Phillip sacrifices himself to the wraith. As they put his body to rest on an altar, Mulan explains to Aurora the shocking truth: While she was asleep, the Evil Queen Regina unleashed a curse that sent everyone away – everyone except those in this small corner of the land; they instead were “frozen” in time. When the curse was recently lifted, Mulan and Phillip set out to find Aurora. The women then hear a sound under the debris where the wraith burst from the ground, and find an unconscious Emma and Snow – and deem them responsible for bringing the creature to their land (which is kinda true) and thus blame them for Phillip’s death.

What did you think of the Once Upon a Time Season 2 premiere? Do you think Regina will lift a finger to get Emma and Snow back?

Pages: 1 2

Comments (299)

• Baelfire

Comment by Patti – September 30, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It seems like he has collected a few things like Gold. Oh, and Henry’s father.

Comment by Randall – September 30, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m thinking the March Hare. He isn’t attractive enough to be Baelfire.

Comment by Templar – September 30, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What does his attractivness have to do with anything let alone if it’s Baelfire?

Comment by Anna – September 30, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He’s Michael Raymond James – ones of the most attractive men on this planet. I think he was made to look like like a rabbity guy ON PURPOSE.

Comment by Jecky Von Strapcorn – October 1, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s what I thought… March Hare or White Rabbit or Cogsworth

Comment by Camille – October 1, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m thinking White Rabbit or March Hare, too. Although Cogsworth would make sense with the painting of the clock on the apartment wall. But do we know who Alice is yet? Because I’m guessing that Emma ends up in Wonderland this season. And since she’s (sort-of) from the normal world, that would be a great twist on the Alice in Wonderland story.

Comment by gdv – October 2, 2012 11:51 AM PDT
          • @gdv Where do you see a painting of a clock? if you mean next to the door, that is not a clock. It is a red hand with an eyeball.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 04:19 PM PDT
          • My bad, it looked like a clock to me from the picture, but it looks like you could be right.

Comment by gdv – October 2, 2012 05:31 PM PDT
      • Didn’t need those clues to figure it out… He’s the only one it could be since they cast him.. The real question is whether he is Henry’s father.

Comment by DarkDefender – September 30, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I got a feeling that he is Henry’s real father who couldn’t enter Storybrooke. Good luck to the future

Comment by Charles David Haskell – October 1, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I said the same thing the moment I saw him. Baelfire.

Comment by Alichat – September 30, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t be Baelfire. Based on the timeline of the show, Baelfire should be an old man at LEAST.

Comment by Mellie – September 30, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not necessarily. Time in FTL and time in the real world don’t match perfectly. Rewatch the stuff with Hatter.

Comment by AT – September 30, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. If they matched, it would have been weird that Disney did the Snow White movie 50 years before it happened in Fairy-tale land and the story is even way older.

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – October 1, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pinocchio was a kid in FTL and an adult in Storybrook.

Comment by Elyse – October 1, 2012 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He wasn’t apart of the curse – he came through the portal with Emma. Everyone that was cursed didn’t age.

Comment by Mmm – October 1, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve said that before, and I’m happy someone agrees :)

Comment by kelli – October 1, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think it is Mr. Gold aka Rumpulstiltskin’s long lost son.

Comment by debbie – October 1, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh swell, yet another way to spell Rumpelstiltskin.

Comment by Tansy – October 1, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait to see ht happened in the next season and the individual character will change over the year. Good luck to the spin-off.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – April 8, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Luis Ernesto Cordero (@bannedsoul) – September 30, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baelfire or Henry’s Dad. Or both :)

Comment by Rob – September 30, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooh didn’t even think of Henry’s dad. But wow yeah that’d be pretty interesting if he and Baelfire are one in the same.

Comment by Becca – September 30, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES . . .I think both too :)

Comment by Emily – September 30, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you. I am not sure if Baelfire is or isn’t Henry’s dad.
      And how cute is it David with the ‘One night stands? Whale?’ and with being a daddy and a grandad? Super cute!

Comment by Olivia – September 30, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baelfare

Comment by lstar19 – September 30, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’s Baelfire. They’re gonna reveal him in midseason. I think Bael is more like finale material.
      Btw, love the Charmings’. But I kinda hate Rumpel-Belle’s scenes.They’re kinda boring. Is it just me?
      And I love Mulan/Aurora.
      Strong premiere. Hottest grandpa indeed!

Comment by Leo – October 1, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally disagree. I at this point couldn’t care less about Snow and Charming. Rumple and Belle is the story with the romance, chemistry, and fire. I am glad the Charming personality is back though I wanted to slap ‘David’ so many times I lost count.

Comment by Jazzy – October 1, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen. I want more Belle/Rumpelstiltskin. Totally heart-wrenching and beautiful storyline. And their chemistry is amazing. I want them to get their happy ending together so badly.

Comment by Pandarr – October 2, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The more I hang around the fans, and the more enthusiastic Rumpel/Belle fans I meet, the more I’m turned off to the relationship. I didn’t mind the relationship at first, kinda liked it in fact, but the more avid fans of it I meet, the less I enjoy it. Is there a term for that?

Comment by Andrch02 – October 2, 2012 02:41 PM PDT
          • It look like it was turning into the Snow White/Prince Charming show. Snow White was forever crying while Charming didn’t know his ID and then suddenly he got a wife who look like she was murder by her husband. I can’t wait to see what happened in season two.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – October 2, 2012 02:43 PM PDT
      • I don’t like the Rumple and Belle scenes. To me it seems forced between the two of them.

Comment by Mary – October 4, 2012 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed.
          The Rumple/Belle seems very forced
          I think they picked the wrong actress for the role.

She does better as a pregnant teen mom.

Comment by Kim – December 8, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s Baelfire!

Comment by Jillian – September 30, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking it might be Rumple’s son, Bael, all grown up. He’s still out there in the non magic world, so I’m thinking if he’s not Mystery Man, then maybe whoever sent the postcard.

Comment by Becca – September 30, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes i thought it was baelfire as well.

Comment by Rachel – September 30, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO much to think about… and I’ve got nothing. My first thought was baby daddy, but if he’s a character…. I don’t know. Who could he be from *track four of that band’s album*

Comment by slizabeth – September 30, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The track is called “Beauty and the Beast” And Once’s Beast is our favorite imp who’s looking for his son

Comment by Jess – September 30, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland!!!!

Comment by Amj – September 30, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I’m surprised more people didn’t say that…weird! That’s what I was thinking too!

Comment by Alice – September 30, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking that too because of the “hatter” sign and the monocles on the wall.

Comment by Babybop – September 30, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is also a rabbit paper weight on his desk! I think white rabbit too.

Comment by Me – September 30, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The pocket watches and monocles would support this, too.

Comment by Mellie – September 30, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why wouldn’t he be in Storybrooke then? Like all the other cursed fairytale characters.

My money’s on Baelfire, he’s the only logical explanation. And that he’s Henry’s dad. That’s actually what I was thinking when Emma confronted Gold.

Comment by Miranda – October 1, 2012 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • because the rabbit historically visits the human world……

Comment by Shaun – October 1, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because only those in Fairytale at the time of the curse are in Storybrooke. We’ve seen no one from Oz, Narnia, Wonderland etc. in SB. And the White Rabbit comes and goes [down the rabbit hole]. Now that the curse is broken we are going to see Captain Hook.

Comment by Templar – October 1, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wonderland was not affected by the curse. It’s a different world.

Comment by nick1372 – October 1, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • sorry. Wonderland had to have been affected by the curse. otherwise, how was jefferson, who was still trapped in Wonderland, affected by the curse in the first place?

Comment by X – October 3, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • but the white rabbit is from wonderland , maybe the curse didn´t had effect there and cora (that is the queen there) told the withe rabbit to go to the real world and try to enter sotybrook for something with regina! maybe regina locked cora in wonderland , that´s why she said , she is no queen, and how the queen knew her dad was the only thing she truley love!!

Comment by Fabi Alves – October 3, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ohhhhhh i now see why you think that. i could see that being true!

Comment by Elyse – October 1, 2012 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking White Rabbit too..and the postcard must be from the Hatter/Jefferson..since he’s one of the few other characters who knew about their former life before the curse was broken, and maybe he contacted him before, since he didn’t look confused or something.

Comment by Andre – October 1, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oooh! I like that idea…

Comment by Diggle – October 1, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what i said the White Rabbit :)

Comment by Rebecca Veight – October 1, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I agree he is the Rabbit. The pocket watch especially makes me think that. Of course with this show he could be the rabbit and Baelfire. After all, Gold is both Rumplestilskin and the Beast.

Comment by sj – October 1, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • my thoughts exactly Rabbit=Baelfire–there could be no one else!

Comment by mpa – October 2, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s my guess. Baelfire is too obvious. Every one is waiting for Baelfire to appear. The White Rabbit on the other hand…

Comment by MoxieSue – October 1, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope that it turn out to be the White Rabbit. I can’t wait to learn how the White Rabbit and Emma meet in the first place and what went wrong with the relationship.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – October 2, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Something else that possibly points to the White Rabbit. When his phone/music player fell. Look like something going down the rabbit hole, just like Alice.

Comment by tp – October 1, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and when he dropped his phone and the camera watches it fall, it could be an echo of the classic ‘rabbit leading alice down the hole.’

Comment by arisasira – October 2, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that it is the White Rabbit. I can’t wait to see when the finally the story is being told during the rating sweep.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – October 2, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rumplestiltskin’s (Mr. Gold’s) actual son?

Comment by Joe – September 30, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’s baelfire. the album cover of John Guliak’s 7 Stories & 13 Songs is a heart. Baelfire is supposed to be Rumple’s light/the thing that keeps him human! He’s also probably Henry’s dad because these characters are weirdly connected. Couldn’t Emma have procreated with someone normal?!

Comment by steph – September 30, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A heart could also refer to the Queen of Hearts – an association with the White Rabbit…

Comment by Ryan – October 2, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Henry’s dad AND Baelfire. Bam.

Comment by Alyssa – September 30, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love. This. Can’t even begin to describe how much I agree with you herel

Comment by Jenna587 – September 30, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow, how weird it would be that Henry’s other grandfather is rumple! what a twist!

Comment by mpa – October 2, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gaston?

Comment by Sarah – September 30, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We met Gaston in season 1. He was played by Sage Brocklebank.

Comment by Josh – September 30, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We saw Gaston last season in Skin Deep. He was played by Sage Brocklebank, Rumple turned him into a rose.

Comment by Katie – September 30, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The lyrics to the song definitely could suggest baelfire but I’m not 100% convinced. Could also be a grown up Peter pan? Either way I think he is also Henry’s dad.

Comment by ashlee – September 30, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i like this idea!

Comment by Gem – September 30, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mad Hatter?

Comment by Annie – September 30, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Mad Hatter is Jefferson (Sebastian Stan’s character from last season).

Comment by Meg – September 30, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More likely The March Hare or The White Rabbit.

Comment by Templar – September 30, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i agree with most people i think its Bael.

Comment by Elyse – September 30, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was Baelfire. But it would be Awsome if it was him and that he’s actually Henry’s dad.

Comment by Patricia – September 30, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m reluctant to say Baelfire, because how would he know about the curse? The curse was created and set off, after he left FTL. Maybe, mysterious man was the one that Pinnochio was talking to on the phone. Because how would good old Pinnochio know about rumplestiltskin’s dagger. That is a closely guarded secret. However, with all that said what other FTL character escaped the curse?

Comment by Shaw – September 30, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Baelfire was sent to a land that had no magic. Remember the fairy telling Rumple that where he was going was different and had no magic. I bet you that is Baelfire and he is Henry’s dad!

Comment by Lara – September 30, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone who was in Wonderland or Oz or Narnia etc. when the curse happened would not be affected. Only those in Fairytale were.

Comment by Templar – September 30, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that makes me wonder, the mad hatter was stuck in Wonderland… Why is he in Storybrook then?

Comment by Sheyla – September 30, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He is from Storybrooke. That could explain it.

Comment by nick1372 – October 1, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think either there’s a part of Jefferson’s story we don’t know yet (maybe he managed to go back to FTL from Wonderland, but then the curse striked) or, since he still knew who he was, he came to the real world not through the curse, but directly from Wonderland. If the mysterious man is the March Hare, then he is the Hatter’s friend and they most likely came to the real world together.

Comment by Alice – October 1, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Regina said something about the curse affecting ALL the lands, which seems to be supported by Jefferson being there. Plus, I think we’re supposed to meet Alice at some point. So it could be someone from another land.

Comment by Tracy – October 1, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • When she said all of the lands, I believe she meant kingdoms. There were quite a few in Fairytale. Leopold’s Midas’ etc.

Comment by Templar – October 1, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Regina also said she brought Jefferson there (brought, not sent), which might suggest that she took him from Wonderland and put him in that fancy mansion in Storybrook before she enacted the curse. I think there is more to their back story relationship.

Comment by zaza – October 1, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Good thinking. Wasn’t Jefferson confined to the mansion so that he couldn’t interact with the townies and spill the beans?

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 07:15 AM PDT
      • Actually Regina said twice that all the Lands were destroyed and Mulan mentioned only part of the Enchanted Forest survived the curse, which means Wonderland, Oz, etc.

Comment by Aaron King – October 1, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • who says it was the curse WE’RE thinking of? if you were bae, you’d be a bit disappointed in your dad and hurt for a while, sure, BUT wouldn’t you think he’d find a way to break HIS curse (THE DARK ONE) and find you, and send you the message somehow?

Comment by Audrey Palmer – October 1, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay – so obviously not ALL the kingdoms in FTL were affected as they still have some there. What’s to say that Storybrook was the only cursed place? What’s to say that there aren’t other people that were cursed to other places? If they weren’t in storybrook they wouldn’t know that they were now allowed to leave because they wouldn’t know the curse was broken….

That being said, I think he’s the white rabbit.

Comment by songbyrd86 – October 1, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Henry’s dad

Comment by luli – September 30, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was white rabbit but it’s probably baelfire who is obviously henry’s dad.

Comment by witchofbontemps – September 30, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Baelfire
    2. Henry’s Dad
    3. Gaston

Comment by Emgee – September 30, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s not Gaston, we already met Gaston during the “Skin Deep” episode in season one. He got turned into a rose by Rumple.

Comment by Bigby – September 30, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Geppetto

Comment by tonilost – September 30, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Geppetto is in Storybrooke. It can’t be him.

Comment by nick1372 – September 30, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baelfire. There’s not a lot of characters outside of Storybrooke, and I doubt it’s Henry’s dad because he wouldn’t know about the curse. Unless, of course, they’re the same person.

Comment by nick1372 – September 30, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he’s the author of Henry’s book, whether this person is also Bae is still in question, but I’m pretty sure he wrote the book.

Comment by Mike – September 30, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • August/Pinnochio wrote Henry’s book

Comment by Anon – September 30, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Has that been confirmed because all I know is that he added to the book, not wrote the whole thing.

Comment by Mike – September 30, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think he’s the white rabbit.

Comment by smartysfilly – September 30, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by Emily – September 30, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • March Hare maybe or White Rabbit because of the hatter sign and the clocks…

Comment by Abby – September 30, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve got no clue, I don’t think it’s Henry’s dad because Emma gave hints to him being a married man and not a loner as the guy in the opening of season 2 is, it could be Baelfire but why would he not be able to come into town if Emma and Pinnochio could? One thing is for certain whoever he was he received a message through magic meaning that magic is not limited to Storybrook.

Comment by Roy J Lores – September 30, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah she gave hints that Henry’s father was a married man, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a loner now because of what went on with Emma and him. I bet that affair ruined his marriage and that doesn’t mean it still can’t be Baelfire either. Baelfire might be too easy, but it seems logical and would be like an icing on the cake to have Henry linked to Gold/Rumplestilskin in some way. That is, considering Baelfire really is Gold’s son. Something tells me Gold/Rump. would have known if Bael wasn’t. I’m between Baelfire/Henry’s father or the White Rabbit. Awesome start to the season! Lovin the Henry/David scenes! Lovin Josh’s scenes period! That man knows how to bring in the emotions! The thing that boggled my mind tho is Regina. I thought she didn’t have a soul? From everything she became I thought she sold her soul or something to be what she is. So how could a soul stealer steal something she doesn’t have?

Comment by Lissa – September 30, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re mistaking “not having a soul” with “being a petty, overreacting, sociopathic bitch”. Close, but not quite the same.

Comment by Tahj – October 2, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I forgot the married part but on Once Upon A Time married become a joke where no one is safe. I hope that it is the White Rabbit and Emma turn out to be Alice in Wonderland.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – October 2, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always thought that maybe he lied about being married cause he got to close to someone and you can’t explain fairytale and your dark one dad without a trip to mental hospital.

Comment by patti – October 1, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh I like this idea even better. Pretending to be unavailable/married because of not being able to be completely honest to avoid being called a nutcase! Genius! You can never be too sure of the truth from relationships like that. Look at Just Go With It movie. Sandler’s character pretended to be married having pretend affairs when he was as single as can be. Interesting concept for one from FTL to invent to avoid not being ridiculed in the real world. Very sneaky and genius of the writers if this is what they did.

Comment by Lissa – October 1, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He might not have been able to come until Emma came. Henry said in Season 1 that people don’t come to Storybrooke. No one had seen August/Pinnochio in Storybrooke, perhaps because he wasn’t able to come till after Emma came and the curse was weakened…

Comment by Ashlee – October 1, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then how did Henry get there?

Comment by Ryan – October 2, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be too obvious for the stranger to be Baelfire. Just because he is a stranger and has dark hair does not make him automatically make him Bae. I mean Graham had dark hair so did August and Jefferson. Actually Jefferson as Baelfire is something I wish would be true.

Comment by Julie – September 30, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I SO want Jefferson to b Bae! :D

Comment by Sunny – October 1, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gaston has already been shown. People haven’t aged in Storybrooke, so NOT Baelfire. Like the idea of the White Rabbit.

Comment by Nancy Hecko – September 30, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People did age outside of storybrooke like Emma and August.

Comment by ashlee – September 30, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bae wasn’t affected by the curse considering he left FTL many years before it was even enacted. So yes, it could be him- see “The Return” for more details if you don’t remember

Comment by Jess – September 30, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baelfire came to real life long way before the curse, why people think it could be Henry’s dad? The story of Rumpelstinskin happened years before the curse with Regina. I thought that was stated in one if the episodes… My guess is that Baelfire and Henry’s dad are two different characters. Besides I’d hate to see the storyline going there…

Comment by James – September 30, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because when he left Fairytale doesn’t matter. When he arrived here/now is what matters. Think Back to the Future. Bael was 14 when he took the beanstalk express. but he may have come through when Emma was 10.

Comment by Templar – September 30, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I Agree.

Comment by Natacha Borges Iurassek – October 14, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I got a feeling that the White Rabbit is the still the father of Henry. Baelfire and August disappear from their homeworld to the real world before Regina made the curse work.I can’t wait to learn Henry’s father true ID. Good luck to the future.

Comment by CHARLES DAVID HASKELL – October 14, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my thoughts that it could be the white rabbit…………mentions pocket watches and monocles hanging near the door………….also has a sign that states cleaners and hatters…………

Comment by Sheryl Morris Brister Husch – September 30, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s three mystery men around outside of Storybrooke:
    1. Baelfire
    2. Henry’s dad
    3. The mystery man August called at the beginning of episode 19. The one that had a ‘plan’ that August was to follow.

I’m hoping it’s #3.

Comment by zippy – September 30, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • #3: Unfortunately that “mystery person” was confirmed to be Henry. The plan was going to Gold’s shop and having Henry distract him while August went snooping around in the back

Comment by Jess – September 30, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was Regina faking it or messing with Emma when she (Regina) said “Who’s Jefferson?”. I assumed she was screwing with Emma because I’m under the impression that everyone remembers everything from both worlds.

Comment by Jennifer – September 30, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was totally lying- Jefferson was the person who got Regina the apple that ended up poisoning Henry. Unless she suddenly developed selective amnesia

Comment by Jess – September 30, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the Dementor might have ‘erased’ some of her memories…???

Comment by Zylice – September 30, 2012 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Regina needs to eat some chocolate.

Comment by Tom Riddle – October 1, 2012 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Very true, Tom! Also, it might be advantageous for the good people of Storybrooke to start working on their patronuses.

Comment by ktbanks – October 1, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They haven’t shown what happens to people who walk out of Storybrooke. What if he’s one of the original cursed characters (like the White Rabbit?) who left town and once you leave you regain your memories, but then you’re cursed to live outside Storybrooke? Allowed to know the truth, but forced away and unable to be with those you care about?

Comment by Lindy – September 30, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one was ever able to leave Storybrooke. I think Cinderella tried to leave on foot and was stopped by going into labor at the city limits.

Comment by Meg – October 1, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving where this season is going! So excited for it! First, the Desmond Hume-esque beginning with the Mysterious Man. Then the twist that some of the fairy tale people are living at the same time, parallel to the Storybrooke people. Then, Emma and Snow being trapped there. So awesome.

Comment by Amy – September 30, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Loved how those that stayed in FTL knew about the curse, also that Mulan blamed Emma and M.M. For the death of Phillip. Loved the scene at the end between Charming & Henry, and the scene between Belle and Rumple.

Soo can’t wait to see Emma and some more bada$$ Snow in FTL.

Comment by shae – September 30, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I’m going with Baelfire, if not the White Rabbit: think, the red glove with the watch? (Red Queen + “I’m late, for a very important date!”, aside from the number of other timepieces in the room).

Comment by Sarahthebaker – September 30, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While Emma’s life was completely horrible, spending the rest of eternity as a newborn wouldn’t have been very fun either. Because how could a 10 minute old baby break a curse? Plus I always figured that if Emma hadn’t been sent away in time, Regina either would have kidnapped her or killed her. I think if/when it’s revealed that there was room in the wardrobe and Pinocchio took that spot, it will be intense

Comment by Jess – September 30, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FINALLY, someone commented on this! This little Emma not being able to forgive snow and Charming right away is definitely going to annoy me. It’s not like they had a choice. What were they supposed to do, really? Spend eternity forever together, cursed, and her as a baby? Argh!

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 1, 2012 01:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Emma herself addressed this with the question ” which curse is worse?”

Comment by Ayla – October 1, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also who says they’d be together, Hatter isn’t with his daughter either

Comment by Rebecca Veight – October 1, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And Snow and Charming weren’t even together for the last 28 years. Yes, it sucks she grew up in foster care, but she had to in order to save her family. (side note: I wish they would do away with the extensions Jennifer Morrison has on her hair.)

Comment by Katherine215 – October 1, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • As a hair stylist, those extensions are so distracting to me! Every time she’s on screen I find myself looking at those extensions and not paying attention to anything else going on.

Comment by tp – October 1, 2012 08:04 AM PDT
      • In addition , Emma doesn’t know the entire story. Just that they sent her away to “give her a better life”. Most adopted kids don’t take too well to that explanation.

Also, she’s comparing her foster life to Storybrooke… not the actual dangerous world of Fairytale Island.

Comment by Tahj – October 2, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • entire story. Just that they sent her away to “give her a better life”. Most adopted kids don’t take too well to that explanation.

Comment by Tahj – October 2, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barol *Giant* pencil sharpener. Jack? And Bae? And Henry’s dad?

Comment by Gilda – September 30, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given the mashups so far, could Bae and the White Rabbit be the same person?

Comment by Min Min – September 30, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could be but I was betting Bae/Henry’s dad would be Jack from jack and the beanstalk

Comment by Patti – September 30, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking the same thing. There are lots of clues in that apartment leading you to believe he is the white rabbit, but there are clues that link him to Baelfire.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – September 30, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that it could be very possible that Bae and the White Rabbit are the same. First, the White Rabbit was known for passing between worlds. Bae went to another world, but why should we assume that once he got there he was content to stay there? He may have found a way to travel to wonderland where he became the White Rabbit and eventually worked with Jefferson who also got trapped there. Jefferson has an agenda, so does Bae. I think the two of them could have easily been working together. If Bae went back he could have somehow been affected by the curse, holding his age at a fixed position like other Storybrook citizens, but somehow outside of the town’s limits. He collects things, like Gold, but he’s young. His frozen age status could explain why he has such a odd range of old collectibles. He could ALSO be Henry’s dad. If he had a family, but wasn’t aging, that could have led to tensions and an eventual break-up, but on the other hand I have a hard time believing anything that Emma says, including info about Henry’s dad, so the guy might never have been married; she may have used that line as a simple way to end the discussion. The show has already shown a history of merging story-lines: Red Riding Hood IS the wolf, Rumpelstiltskin is the Beast, etc. Bae could easily be the White Rabbit and since Jefferson is the Mad Hatter, they could be friends or at least work together.

Comment by Tamim – October 1, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Going with the dual identities theme, I still say that Emma’s story is that of Rapunzel. Separated from her parents, fostered, imprisoned etc. And her hair keeps getting longer and longer.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve been spotting Rapunzel links–especially the hair, which tends to reflect Emma’s emotional state. And the fact those locks just too perfect for such a non-girly girl. BIG HINT last night–when Snow and Emma sat down to eat with “Lancelot,” the first food that Emma picked was…RAMPS…which are the onion/scallion-type plant that Rapunzel’s mother craved and that Rapunzel’s father stole from the witch’s garden, which led to the whole “I get to take your baby” situation. That said, this may be an even twistier version of the Rapunzel tale, since Henry was actually stolen by a witch and kept imprisioned in Storybrook. And that kid, as we all know, does nothing BUT disregard anyone who tells him to stay put. He’s constantly breaking out of any “tower” that someone tries to put him in, particularly Regina.

Comment by Katherine – October 15, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I can’t wait to learn the ID of Henry’s father.I wanted to learn who replace Regina as the mayor of Storybrooke Maine.I got a feeling that the new mayor won’t be the newest mayor for long.

Comment by CHARLES DAVID HASKELL – October 15, 2012 07:38 AM PDT
  • Cool premiere. I wish we had alittle more time with the reunions before everyone got pulled apart again. I know they tied into everything by the end but there was too much Sleeping Beauty,Phillip and Mulan. I didn’t care for them.Sleeping Beauty were annoying. Felt like their time could have been spent on season one regular and recurrings like Archie, Grumpy and August or more dad/daughter bonding before Charming and Emma were separated yet again. Very disappointed in the lack of Charming/Emma.

The guy in the beginning is the very predictable Baelfire/Henry’s dad. Just wonder who sent the message.

Comment by Patti – September 30, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I hope that if Emma spends the first part of the season bonding with Snow, the second half can be her bonding with Charming. Their relationship is important too and I hope the writers’ remember that. And they better not be stuck in FTL all season!

Comment by Jess – October 1, 2012 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, let’s be logic here: Who is the only person in Storybrook who saw the “outside world”? I can’t figure out who the guy is, but my guess is that August send the message to him.

Comment by Béria – October 2, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not necessarily. August did, but so did Mr. Gold. Mr. Gold brought Henry to Regina from Arizona. Remember, he gave Regina the curse under his terms. I think he factored in the right to come and go, so he could search for Baelfire.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not really. Rumple is affected by the curse like everyone else (see episode 1×21 – An Apple as Red as Blood) when he says to Regina he is planning a trip for when the curse gets broken (6:20 to 8:40 min) and she come back after get the apple and tell him he isn’t going anywhere because the curse was “more strong than ever” (38:10 to 39:36 min). So he got Henry, but he didn’t left Stroybrook for that. He couldn’t left.

Comment by berialima – October 2, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Or so she thought. Remember that Gold built things into the spell of which Regina was unaware. She didn’t know about the potion bottle hidden inside Maleficent. Gold only revealed what was in his best interest for her to know. He could easily have included ingress/egress for himself.

Comment by Templar – October 2, 2012 09:30 AM PDT
  • One more thing. On the artwork with the red hand and the watch….could be a mash-up. “RED HAND” + “WATCH” yields the name of a campaign called… the “Red hand watch.” Catch this….to draw attention and relief to the plight of child soldiers. DEFINITELY sounds like the Baelfire issue that started Rumple’s path to being the Dark One. Remember the Ogre Wars? Children were being drafted into conflict. Deep thoughts, folks.

Comment by Sarahthebaker – September 30, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you’re onto something. That caught my eye right away, more so than any of the other items in the room. I was disappointed they didn’t point that item out. I couldn’t tell what it was (looked like a misshaped barnyard to me) but I could not get passed it. I wonder if it may be the item that Kitsis says “has very significant meaning.” Thanks for explaining it, I feel like there’s something to it.

Comment by Michelle – September 30, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was wondering if it was a reference to The Scarlet Hand from the recent Sisters Grimm children’s book series. If so, the mystery man could be The Master and working with the more nefarious elements of Storybrooke.

Comment by Steve – October 1, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the Henry/Charming scenes and the Charming family sceenes. The reunion with Granny,Red and dwarves was great. I like Belle’s Obi Wan moment. I like that kept her goodness and backbone. I hope Rumple learns from the past and stops choosing power/hate over love. It cost him Bae and Belle once before. Love the chemistry between Robert Carlyle&Emilie de Ravin and also the whole Charming family.

Comment by Kelly – September 30, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, loved Rumbelle tonight :)

Comment by Brenna – October 1, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really didn’t like Sleeping Beauty and that whole storyline.

Comment by Kelly – September 30, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yuck! me neither! Sleeping Beauty was so annoying! and did they really have to put Mulan into a love triangle? that was dumb.

Comment by mandypanda – September 30, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really disliked Sleeping Beauty,Mulan and Phillip.

Comment by patti – October 1, 2012 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just very, VERY mad they killed off Phillip. Especially since he was my first cartoon crush.

But I’m not fond of the fact they shoved Mulan in there…why? There may be proof she DID exist in the real world. And if and when that proof does come out, how are they going to explain HOW she got there? I have been quite disappointed in some choices Disney’s made regarding movies and TV and this is no different. :(

But Aurora…no I feel like that a lot. Having to be pushed around and thought of never capable of doing anything, hopefully she shows up she-who-should’ve-met-the-soul-sucking-fate later on…

Aside from that, what was going on in Storybrooke was more interesting…

Comment by Joanna Boese (@LaDracul) – October 1, 2012 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think the episode was awesome, and mistery man is Gold’s son and Henry’s Dad…

Comment by Miriam Diaz – September 30, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure if I’m going to like the multiple alternate realities. Time will tell.

Comment by Amy – September 30, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baelfire seems too obvious…..

Comment by Bonnie – September 30, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I’m thinking too. It’s just too obvious.

Comment by Bettret – September 30, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another question……who sent the postcard? August? I would think he was no longer wood after the curse was broken. But if not him, then who?

Comment by Anna – September 30, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about this? Mr. Gold sent the postcard to Baelfire because Bael couldn’t come into Storybrooke while the curse was in place. He managed to get Henry there by adoption because Henry wasn’t part of Fairytale. but Bael was, so he couldn’t get in.

Comment by Templar – October 1, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But Emma and Pinocchio (August) were a part of fairy land and they could get in to Storybrooke while the curse was in place. Everyone seems to assume that the land without magic that Baelfire
        went to was our world. Who to say if there is not more than one land without magic.

Comment by Gail – October 1, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Pinocchio didn’t come in until the clock started again and the curse was weakened. Emma was brought in by Henry because she is the savior and thus part of the curse.

Comment by Templar – October 1, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it is the white rabbit, I bet it was someone like Jefferson that sent the post card… He has always known who he is so it makes sense that he would have contacts with the outside

Comment by Amj – September 30, 2012 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agreed!

Comment by Mellie – September 30, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Bae… and he’s taken to collecting things like his father.

I also think the open window could indicate Peter Pan. Hmmm.

Comment by mawhi – September 30, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The red hand/wreath (??) picture near the door . . . to me, it looks kind of like something you might see on a coat of arms. Just a guess.

Comment by Shannon – September 30, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had a similar thought and found an interesting bit by googling “Red, Hand, Watch, Wreath” about the Red Hand of Ulster. The only problem is it would be hanging upside down and I can’t figure how it would tie in to FTL and Storybrooke.

Comment by GeekGirl13 – October 1, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post