The X Factor Recap: Hang on Till Tomorrow, Come What May [Updated]

trevor moranBring on the dancing dogs! America’s Got X Factor finished its Season 2 auditions Thursday night, and I, for one, can’t wait to see how the Pekingese and the Poodle fare when they get to Boot Camp.

Okay, okay, I’m being a cranky beast from Hades, but Thursday night’s X Factor installment felt more like NBC’s summer variety special than a search for a legitimate musical superstar. There was the 13-year-old kid who passed out backstage from “dehydration” — a dark part of my brain imagined him whispering “Mom, did you slip my that Rohypnol like I asked you to?” — then rallied to “entertain” the troops with a moderately disturbing rendition of “Sexy and I Know It” (ass-spanking not included, thank God). There was the 540 lb. minister whose tale of losing almost half his body weight was decidedly more inspirational than his dated take on “Wind Beneath My Wings.” There was the a pigtailed proponent of the color pink and sequined high-tops belting “Tomorrow.” And each and every one of ‘em made it past the judges.

Uff da.

Let’s rank these people, despite the fact that most of ‘em will be tear-soaked footnotes to Season 2 by the end of next week:

5) Trevor Moran’s “I’m Sexy and I Know It” | “Everything that The X Factor is all about, you embody,” exclaimed L.A. Reid. Wait! What? If some smart NBC marketing exec wants to give viewers a reason to choose The Voice over its Fox rival, all she needs to do is cut an add using LA’s quote over Trevor’s heinously self-aware antics. Honestly, I don’t need to see a teenage boy gyrating his hips and squalling the line “look at that body” on repeat loop, a grin of smug self-satisfaction percolating just beneath the surface. Oh, and poor Florence + the Machine, having “Dog Days Are Over” get sullied in the background during Trevor’s victory march. Blech!

4) Freddie Combs’ “Wind Beneath My Wings” | Welcome to Extreme Makeover: X Factor Edition. Look, I’m really happy for the dude that he lost almost 400 pounds, and his wife’s total dedication was undeniably moving. But without the backstory, Freddie’s audition was a treacly, melodramatic mess — not fit for a solo in the church choir, let alone the X Factor stage. But then again, if Freddie hadn’t advanced to Boot Camp, Simon wouldn’t have been able to give the whole “I’ll back you if you back yourself” spiel that LA gave to Chris Rene in Season 1.

3) Jordyn Foley’s “Tomorrow” | I cannot believe the telecast’s third “best” audition involved an aggressively perky 12-year-old ad-libbing an inspirational spoken-word breakdown in the middle of an Annie soundtrack ballad. “I’d like to remind you, tomorrow is always at hand, and always look forward to the future!” Um, not if you and Trevor make it to the live shows, kid!

2) Owen Stuart’s “Airplanes” | Handsome, moderately talented 16-year-old arrived with a backstory about “the absolute worst pain I’ve ever felt” — which involved moving away from his girlfriend the night after their first kiss. (Exhibit A for why none of my kids are dating till they’re 30.) All the judges looked a little bored during Owen’s performance, but only Britney had the courage to vote “No.” I’ll admit, though, that I got a hearty chuckle over Owen telling some ladies backstage that he wrote “a whole album” about the girlfriend in question. Child, please, define “album.”

1) Lauren Jauregi’s “If I Ain’t Got You” | The lone standout of Episode 6 was this lovely teenager and her powerful-yet-delicate rendition of Alicia Keys’ big diva ballad. LA was right that Lauren’s got a “husky round voice” that’s chock full of maturity, but her upper register is really pretty, too. Is it possible the Season 2 champ could emerge from the worst of its audition episodes? I wouldn’t be entirely shocked.

OVERALL SEASON 2 STANDINGS
39) Trevor Moran’s “I’m Sexy and I Know It”
38) Freddie Combs’ “Wind Beneath My Wings”
37) Quatrele Da’an Smith: Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way”
36) Jordyn Foley’s “Tomorrow”
35) Normani Hamilton: Aretha Franklin’s “Chain of Fools”
34) Brandon Hassan: Ray Lamontagne’s “Trouble”
33) Reed Deming: Bruno Mars’ “Grenade”
32) Jeremiah & Josh: an original track called “Now Life Starts”
31) Austin Carini’s “Wanted”
30) Arin Ray’s original track “Count on Me”
29) Tara Simon’s “Without You”
28) Owen Stuart’s “Airplanes”
27) Vino Alan: Ray Lamontagne’s “Trouble”
26) CeCe Frey: Christina Aguilera’s “Ain’t No Other Man”
25) Willie Jones: Josh Turner’s “Your Man”
24) Rizzloe Jones: Freestyle rap using the phrases “X Factor” and “marshmallow”
23) Nick Youngerman’s “Ice, Ice Baby”
22) Johnny Maxwell: an original track called “Do It Big”
21) Paige Thomas: Rose Royce’s “I’m Going Down”
20) Julia Bullock: Foster the People’s “Pumped Up Kicks”
19) Sophie Tweed-Simmons’ “To Make You Feel Me My Love”
18) Tate Stevens: Randy Houser’s “Anything Goes”
17) Citizen: En Vogue’s “Don’t Let Go (Love)”
16) Ally Brooke: Jaci Velasquez’s “On My Knees”
15) David Correy’s “Just the Way You Are”
14) Nick Perrelli’s “Come Fly With Me”
13) Emblem3: an original track called “Sunset Boulevard”
12) Carly Rose Soneclar: Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good”
11) Jillian Jensen: Jessie J’s “Who You Are”
10) Diamond White: James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World”
9) Dinah Jane Hansen’s “If I Were a Boy”
8) Panda Ross: Sam Cooke’s “Bring It on Home to Me”
7) Jason Brock: Billy Joel’s “New York State of Mind”
6) Jeffrey Adam Gutt: Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”
5) Daryl Black’s “Stereo Hearts”
4) Janell Garcia: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals’ “Paris (Ooh La La)”
3) Lauren Jauregi’s “If I Ain’t Got You”
2) Jessica Espinoza: Pink’s “Nobody Knows”
1) Sister C: Pistol Annies’ “Hell on Heels”

And with that, let me turn things over to you:

Who were your favorites from The X Factor‘s sixth episode of Season 2? Were there any moments that made you cringe? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Lili An-noln says:

I haven’t watched it yet. Was this episode the last auditions before Bootcamp?

• Senator Clay "SHeeeeeeet" Davis says:

Yes. Auditions are over. Now begins the hotdog factory-like process of encasing innocent souls into artifical groups. Remember blond fauxhawk McAverage singer and tonight’s luv-my-girlfriend crap-rapper? Thats why they were put through despite being weak solo artists. They’ll be squeezed together, possibly along with someone of equal age of a discernable ethnicity, into a meaty rod of middling musical talent.

Sorry for the spoilers.

• Tess says:

I thought the same thing about those two guys, easily boyband bound, especially the blond one. I didn’t think the stalkerish “I love my gf so much” guy was all that bad in terms of being a solo act, but given how many younger people they’ve shown us and there being no specific only boys category this year, these two and a coupld of similar young guys who have made it through, will have their best bets being put into what will surely be dubbed America’s answer to One Direction.

• TheBeach says:

Dayum, you sure have a way with a metaphor….loved it!

• ejones says:

In the UK version, many of the ‘yes’ candidates were eliminated before boot camp even started.

2. mandalayna says:

That last girl (singing “Tomorrow”) was pure revenge on Simon Cowell for lowering the age to 12. He deserves every hideous, screeching note. I do believe the others passed her through simply to spite him, because I’ll bet any amount of money that he’s going to some how finagle getting the girls again.

serves him right.

• Tess says:

Yes she was put through to spite Simon (you could see LA delighting in Simon’s annoyance that they put her through) but I would bet anything she will not make it to judges’ houses. She’s far too much a precocious theater child to be considered a viable option to get that far. Besides, after her reaction to getting through, what horror would it be to see her get ousted down the road (worse than poor Rachel last season I would imagine) – no way they want that!

Simon’s going to be mentoring the groups this season per spoilers. LA’s got over 25’s, Demi’s got 17-25, and Britney’s got the 12-16’s. No specific just boys or just girls categories this year.

• Carla says:

That’s really strange that Demi wouldn’t get the youngest contestants.

• mandalayna says:

Wow, that’s some change in the format. Don’t know if I like it; having someone who’s 50 competing with a 25 year old doesn’t seem fair. And there are so many good female singers this year–I kind of fear the girls won’t be able to compete with the cute boys in the youngest age group.

Time will tell how it works, but I’m not holding my breath.

• Karen says:

she was absolutely horrendous. And I HATE that freaking Annie song, which only made me hate her more

3. Steve says:

You know you’ve been reading Michael Slezak for a looooong time when the first thing you think when you see Lauren Jaurgui is “Omigod, she looks like a brunette Haley Reinhart!” (Actually kind of a Haley-meets-Cobie Smulders look, maybe with a hint of Sarah Silverman?) Looks aside, she was easily the best of the night, maybe of the week.

4. teatime says:

They often seem to stage it so one and only one judge says “no” so the person gets thru. Simon was the only one who said “no” to Honey Boo Boo even though she is not ready for this. Britney was the only one who said “no” to the 16 year old with the girl friend in New York. L.A. is the one judge who said “no” to Sophie Simmons who was much better than a large number of females that he said “yes” to.

5. Eri says:

I wonder why the X Factor articles are getting so few comments this season? I’ve noticed this on practically every other X Factor related article and recap around the web. Is this reflecting the amount of viewers the show is bringing in (not many), or are people just not up for discussing it?

I’ve found this season pretty entertaining thus far. I’m just incredibly relieved that the audition phase is finally over, haha.

• Senator Clay "SHeeeeeeet" Davis says:

I believe that it stems from the fact that XFactor has little to offer to a person gets invested in singing competition shows. XFactor places the lowest emphasis on the actual singing, and the highest emphasis on following the judges and surrounding the singer with a grand spectacle of massive sets and dancers. The appeal of XFactor reaches more towards the un-invested viewer that wants to “laugh at idiots” and “see a big spectacle”, they dont develop enough of a care for the show to comment, or even be aware that sites like this one, mjsbigblog, vftw, etc even exist. Its a show produced to capture the disinterested channel surfer, and thats the audience it gets.

Im not trying to denigrate Mr. and Mrs. Average Viewer, but its definately a slide towards the tacky and lowest common denominator, which is remarkable considering how tacky and ugly Idol can get.

The show is a reflection of Simon’s original expectations. In the UK, XFactor immediately killed of the entire Idol franchise. He didnt expect to have to do much to the formula to repeat his success in the US. So all the effort went towards making a bigger & louder Idol clone, but not on making a show that would engage and interest the viewer, which is what The Voice did. Simon, being a lazy and uncreative man (e.g., his hair, clothing and famillair critiques) was equally unprepared and unwilling to make an effort to improve the show, and that is also reflected in this year’s lack of intrest from the harder-core fan. Its just More Of The Same But With Britney, and that novelty has worn off right away.

So ultimately, what does XFactor create that there is to talk about? Nothing really, it puts forth nothing unique in the TV schedule that merits discussion. The only real remaining question for this season is how does Melanie Amaro get presented this season. Is her commercial failure and disappearance swept under the rug or does Simon unveil New Melanie to the world the way and timing he used for Leona Lewis?

• Alienate says:

Ah Say, Ah Say, I cede the floor to the Senator!

Very well put.

• TheBeach says:

So well said. What did the major board discussions last year center around? Simon’s blatant ploy of cutting Amaro and then bringing her back, Rachel Crowe’s meltdown, Chris Rene’s addiction, Nicole Whatsherface’s terrible judging. It seemed the posts about the singing were secondary.

• BarbL says:

Simon Cowell says he loves the fight, but I don’t believe him. When he realizes that his formula isn’t going to get the ratings Idol did, he’s going to get as bored with it as he did with Idol.
        Which is too bad as I do think the X Factor formula could have worked out to be more interesting than the Voice, which I don’t find entertaining.
        Last year 1) Cowell encouraged the screaming and the noise, according to people who were in the audience. That didn’t translate out well to the audience at home. 2) The editing makes it seem that these contestants didn’t have to go through 3 or more auditions to get to the judges–they did and do. The “joke” acts should be seen for what they are–cruelty to people like that kid Jordyn. This is going to get old, and which is one reason the Voice is perhaps the better show. 3) 12 is simply too young to be competing in a venue that is intrinsically unfair. and 4) rather than diminishing the role of people who are older than, say, 40, Cowell and co. should create a group of “seniors.” I mean, really? How is a 50 or 60 year old going to compete in the same group as a 25 year old? Not logical
        If Cowell doesn’t correct his losing course, their may not be a third season.

• teatime says:

But Uk X-Factor is very entertaining and has a number of memorable contestants. The UK X-Factor contestants seem to be supported after the show, too. The Wanted, OneDirection, Cher Lloyd, to name a few.

6. blingedup says:

Not the best audition episode, for sure. I didn’t see anyone last night that I’m really looking forward to…..I don’t think….unless I’ve forgotten……and that’s not a good sign either.

Ready for bootcamp!

7. mandalayna says:

My significant/other tried out for the initial Greensboro auditions. I was there the first day, and happen to know they turned away a LOT of really talented, mature (meaning between 30 to 60) singers.
    There was so much talent at Greensboro in the olders group; I personally saw one woman, who has sung for over 20 years professionally and was gorgeous, be turned away at the first audition. Her companion was mystified why she wasn’t chosen to at least to through the second round of auditions, and so was I. But no more–they simply didn’t want a lot of older people cluttering up the stage.
    They’re going for the 13 to 20 vote, obviously.
    This is a disappointment; my s/o was going to try out again next year, but I’m left wondering why bother if they’re only going to pass through people 35 +/- or younger.

• teatime says:

I noticed we did not see a lot of older contestants! They are dropping the minimum age for the ‘older’ group but if they don’t let anyone older than 45 thru, then I guess it does not matter. It is really sad. This show can distinguish itself as the one with the older contestants but so far it seems like they dropped the ball on that this season.

8. Alienate says:

Have you noticed how the audience is packed with tween girls screaming at every 17 year old and younger regardless of there talent? They ruined Idol, and now are ruining X-factor.

• Alienate says:

Too bad you can’t edit a post here. I meant THEIR not THERE.

• BarbL says:

I believe that Simon and company are going to change the format even more in the future. It looks to me like he’s going to eventually end the overs category to concentrate solely on the youngest.
      If they do that, there’s reason for me to continue watching.

9. TheBeach says:

What a terrible audition show after several other ones were chocked full of talent. I really liked Lauren but morbidly obese preacherman with the awful vibrato was only put through to try to convince the audience that Simon’s heart is not made up entirely of molten lava. Then there were the two obnoxiously precocious, untalented tweens and the mediocre yet heartbroken 16 year old. Epic fail.

10. Tim says:

Ha ha, that would be a good commercial for The Voice. Show the kid spaz-dancing around while failing to hit most of the notes, with L.A.’s proud voice-over.

The main reason I don’t watch The Voice though is that I can’t stand their format. You have to wait endless weeks to get through the battle rounds, and then when they finally get to the final group, they rush through it like their pants are on fire. I much prefer XF’s format.

11. Anne Rush says:

did anyone know the background music played that had” there I was in it “

• Anne Rush says:

backround song played in x factor 9/27/12 with words there I was in it

• teatime says:

I think you are asking about Clocks by Coldplay. It is hard to make out what he is saying when he repeats, “Home, home, where I wanted to go…” This episode also plays Dog Days are Over (Florence and the Machine), Boyfriend (Justin Bieber), Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen), Bubbly (Colbie Caillat), 1000 Miles (Vanessa Carlton), Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now (Jefferson Starship), and Animal (Neon Trees)

12. Vetle says:

The girls are crazy strong this year. Stronger than last year. When they did the “Goodbye Auditions” segment at the end, I was like… that girl is good, she’s good, she’s good, she’s good.. to a lot of them.

Hard cuts to come.

13. BarbL says:

One more thing–I believe the lack of commentary on the various blogs and recaps of X Factor is significant. Interest isn’t nearly as strong in this second season as it was the first. Cowell needs to adjust.

14. Anne Rush says:

does anyone know the guest performer on america’s got talent on 8/27/12 that sang a song with falling in it

• teatime says:

This was more difficult to find… Train sang Drive By. That might be what you mean. Neon Trees also sang Everybody Talks but I don’t think that has the word falling in it.

• Anne Rush says:

It was not train. it was a girl singing with red lipstick on and the words falling were in the song. this is for teatime

• Anne Rush says:

that was not it a girl was singing at the piano

• Anne Rush says:

It was not the song by train, it was a girl with red lipstick singing on a piano with the words ” falling” in the song. Also do you know the background song on x factor 9/19/12 playing before citizen’s sang envogue. Clocks by coldplay was it….hooray and thanx

• teatime says:

@Anne The AGT song you are looking for is Falling Slowly. I love that song. It is from a movie called Once. Personally I’m not crazy about the movie, but the song is amazing. It has been done on AI a couple of times. Crystal and Lee sang it as a duet. IMO they did a real great job given the contrast in their sounds. Kris Allen also sang it for one of his performances.
          I just answered the x-factor question too, I think, below.

15. Anne Rush says:

does anyone know the opening song in the background on xfactor on 9/19/12 before citizen’s sang envogue. it is playing in the background

16. kavyn says:

How the hell did Trevor get 4 yeses for that terrible performance?

17. Aria says:

Because this show is all about “the whole package,” personality and image along with the voice, I fear that despite Lauren’s R&B tendencies, she’s going to get thrown into a girl group with other girls with non-threatening looks and personalities. I hope I’m wrong, but because she doesn’t look a pop diva, I think I’m probably right.

18. Anne Rush says:

need to know bacground song on xractor 9/19/12 before citizen’s sang

19. Anne Rush says:

does anyone know the song emmet and cheryl as well as kelly and Val danced to in dancing with the stars 10/15/12

20. N hésitez pas a partager cette article. Il en vaut vraiment le coup. J’ai vraiment apprecié de lire cette article. bonne continuation.