Glee Recap: Come on, Vogue? [Updated]

sjp gleeAfter three-plus seasons of watching Glee — and its myriad jaunty guest stars — I couldn’t help but wonder: Was it possible for Ryan Murphy & Co. to bring in one more bold-faced guest star who’d fit seamlessly into the fabric of Fox’s high-school musical while bringing it some much-needed dazzle and luster?

Tonight, that answer arrived from behind a rack of clothing, sporting a black, paneled minidress and a killer smile: Sarah Jessica Parker’s Vogue editor Isabelle Klempt rescued the fair Kurt Hummel from a life of serving coffee to beastly high-school cheerleaders and began the process of turning his penchant for “rather…bold clothing choices” into a possible career path.

Meanwhile, THAT FINAL SCENE! Finn arriving at Rachel’s apartment, smack in the middle of Rachel’s first kiss with Brody! I’ll confess two things: First, I have no qualms with the Glee writing team having Finchel explore other options — they’re kids, for cryin’ out loud! But on the other hand, wouldn’t it have been more interesting if Finn had knocked before Brochel (?!) made it physical? For me, it would’ve been a more layered and possibly unpredictable fallout if the show’s central couple was grappling with an emotional betrayal, or rather the seed of infidelity and not an actual sprout. Who’s with me? Also, was this actual infidelity in the wake of that heartbreaking scene in the car in the Season 3 finale?

But let me back up for a moment. In case you were trapped in the Vogue “Couture Vault,” here’s what you missed on Glee:

* Kurt landed himself an internship at Vogue, and while I could easily rail against the preposterousness of a recent high-school grad landing himself this kind of coveted gig based mostly on a portfolio of his homemade outfits, I just can’t bring myself to do it. I mean, with Ugly Betty off the airwaves, why object to any story arc that gives us weekly opportunities for hot fashion montages/she-beast editors/bitchy one-liners? (Side note: Is it too early for an America Ferrera guest spot? Of course not!) (Other side note: J’adored hearing SJP use one of my fave words — “verboten” — in a brainstorming sesh.)

* Turns out, though, that Kurt’s Ohio-born boss was filled with insecurities: She’s an artist, not a manager, and her inability to say “no” has led her to a point where she doesn’t feel like she can tell the difference between a good idea and a crazy one. But wide-eyed Mr. Hummel might be on the brink of reversing her fortunes. His makeover concept video — where he and Isabelle transformed Rachel from country duckling to city swan — scored Isabelle her first “Great” (via email) from an exquisitely succinct Anna Wintour. But Kurt’s work successes came with a price: Porcelain was so busy going to Grey’s Papaya for hot dogs and attaching hideous animal tails to his back belt loop that he completely ignored Blaine’s pleas for help selecting a bowtie for an important McKinley event. (More on that in a moment.)

* Oh, and the subject of that makeover — one Ms. Rachel Berry — began to feel a little more body confidence after rocking an insanely gorgeous tulle wedding gown and ablack dress with the sequined bodice and ruffly skirt (among other fashion confections). A hot rehearsal with suddenly omnipresent Brody led to an impromptu afternoon touring New York City’s Highline (with a momentary hand-hold in the street) which led to Rachel cooking, well, burning dinner for her new guypal, and the aforementioned smooch that he said he wasn’t going to plant. Oh the look of shock on Finn’s face when he saw Brody in repose over Rachel’s shoulder. But does Mr. Hudson have a right to feel hurt? Wasn’t he the one championing the whole “if you love someone, set them free, then don’t respond to their phone calls or emails for two whole months” philosophy?

* Meanwhile, back in Lima, OH, the kids of New Directions were involved in a class-president election subplot that was, in essence, the bland cracker designed solely as a vehicle for future plot developments. (“Who in God’s name gives a wet, hot, steaming dump about student government?” asked Sue, in a message approved by my inner grouch.) Still, the showdown between a bored-without-Kurt Blaine and incumbent repeating senior Brittany — with Sam and Artie as their respective running mates — yielded some innnnteresting developments. Sugar asked Artie on a date (proving his theories about women liking men with power). Brittany and Sam had their second “moment” in two weeks (they really do make sense as a couple, no?). And Sam and Blaine planted the seeds of a beautiful bromance.

* Oh, in case you were wondering, Blaine and Sam prevailed, thanks to the former’s pithy indictment of the Pierce Administration’s first term; the latter’s impromptu striptease (girl, look at that body; Sam works out!); and Brittany’s proposal to outlaw summer vacations and weekends.

* And finally, Mr. Schuester, out of ideas and out of inspiration, decided to apply for a Blue Ribbon Panel to improve arts education. Sue wrote his enthusiastic (if not entirely truthful) letter of recommendation, while Emma offered nothing but support despite the possibility that her man might have to leave Lima for a few months, and delay their nuptials. Will that come back to haunt her?

And with that, let’s recount the episode’s best zingers:

* “Unexpected leather should be in the back pages of the Village Voice.” –Kurt, reacting to a fruitless Vogue pitch meeting

* “Filipino: They’re very hard workers and family is important to them.” –Brittany, in response to the question “What’s your favorite color?”

* “Lose the bowtie: It makes you look uptight, or like a young Orville Redenbacher.” –Blaine, offering solid (and long overdue) fashion advice to Blaine

* Becky refusing to hype the announcement of the election results with a “xylophone flourish”

* “They prefer to lay their eggs in couture!” –Isabelle, explaining her long absence from NYC movie theaters

* “I thought you said you were straight.” –Rachel, reacting to Brody’s confession that he used to be a huge fan of Ace of Base

Before I hand things off to you, let me also grade this week’s musical numbers:

“Everybody Wants to Rule the World”: B+
“Celebrity Skin”: C
“The Way You Look Tonight”/’You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile”: A-
“A Change Would Do You Good”: C+

What was your favorite musical number from “Makeover”? Were you thrilled with the arrival of SJP? And how about that final kiss? Compelling? Disgusting? Confusing? All of the above? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kay says:

Sam told Blaine to lose the bow tie (article says Blaine told Blaine to lose the bow tie).

2. Gleesuperfan says:

I liked the old Rachel. I rooted for her because she was the underdog. Now she reminds me of a snoppy rich girl nobody likes. The best part of the show was Finns face though. Finn needs more air time. I’m looking forward to next weeks episode.

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

“Hate-watching Treme”???? Screw you, Glee. Why would they pick on such a high-quality, low-rated show like that? Ryan Murphy wishes he could write drama that subtle and characters that in-depth. He dreams about it at night.

4. Katie @KatieRud81 says:

This show jumped the shark some time during last season for me and it’s showing no improvement. I actually found it difficult to suspend disbelief enough to understand how Kurt managed to get that internship. As a girl who had to do an internship in journalism in NY I *wish* it were that easy.

I’m already sick of Brittany. As a singer, she’s a great dancer- and the Sam/Brittany angle is one I kinda don’t want explored.

Still trying to figure out how Rachel is being burned at the stake here. Finn broke up with her and she hasn’t heard from him since she left for NY. That sounds like a break to me. Maybe I’m looking at it from a different angle because I didn’t like Lima High School Rachel and found her an epic bore. Now I just find her annoying, but she did nothing wrong in this instance.

I thought the mash up with SJP, Kurt and Rachel was the best part of the show, but the rest of it made it really obnoxious to watch. This may have been my last Glee episode, because there is nothing about it that makes it as fun or quirky as it once was.

5. NYCer4Life says:

Nice shoutout to the SJP playing Annie on Broadway!

6. rmawysl says:

BEST GLEE EPISODE SO FAR THIS SEASON!!! BRODY IS SOOOO HOT!!!! AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE VOGUE STORY ARC WITH SJP – SORRY FOLKS, BUT I’M LOVIN THE NYC STORYLINE MUCH MORE THAN LIMA. WHOO HOO!

7. Michelle says:

I love Brody and Rachel together – she’s a girl just starting college, it’s time to see what else is out there in the world. I can’t help but feel that there’s something off about Brody’s intentions tho. And Finn broke up with Rachel, so she’s free to see whomever she pleases. But excited to see how this triangle (if it becomes one) will play out.

8. Mitch says:

This is aimed at all of the people saying he couldn’t contact her because of boot camp / the army etc..

At what point in the show is it stated that he actually went on to do those things? Sure it could (at a stretch) be implied it happened because Kurt could have found out from his father but a show like glee is pretty blatant with its plot points, it doesn’t leave many, if any, things implied. So with this in mind, think about next week’s promo. Rachel confronts Finn asking why he’s not in uniform and he looks all ashamed or awkward. Perhaps he didn’t actually go? As I said, it’s never been stated in the show thus far that he actually went.

I could be completely wrong but the rest of you could be too. It was only implied in the finale that he’d join the army.

9. Kobe Busia says:

Ok, here’s what I thought of this episode of Glee season 4. It was just a good and average episode, it was the first time I felt underwhelmed by a Glee episode, and the songs(besides Blaine’s rendition of “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”) were ranging from good to flat and simple. The best story arcs were Sarah Jessica Parker’s character as Kurt’s new boss and Blaine and Brittany running for Senior Class President against each other with Sam and Artie as running mates. Another thing I noticed about this episode was that the new characters were sidelined and almost seemed non-existent, and I hope that doesn’t happen again because so far, I’m really interested in learning more about them, especially with Jake Puckerman, so hopefully that doesn’t happen again. The best acting moment in the episode was the final 10 seconds when Finn showed up at Rachel’s door and was in shock after seeing her kiss Brody, he’s always been 1 of my personal favorite actors on Glee. Now I’m gonna have to disagree with what people are saying here, I don’t dislike or even hate Brody Weston, I think he’s a fine character, and even if he and Rachel end up together, it would be more realistic than to have Finn and Rachel pining for and keep coming back to each other, in life, you can’t always hold on to a High School flame or sweetheart, there’ll be other guys/girls you’ll meet. About season 4, so far the show is heading in a solid direction, I like how Sam’s building friendships with Blaine and Brittany, Jenna Ushkowitz is being more utilized as a singer, and Jake is the most interesting of the new characters, that scene between him and Noah(Mark Salling) was the best acting scene in Britney 2.0. I understand that it was kinda mean when Kurt didn’t answer Blaine’s call towards the end, but on the other hand, I don’t think his boss Isabelle(Sarah Jessica Parker) would’ve been ok with him interrupting them or walking out to talk to his boyfriend, that would’ve been deemed as unacceptable so that doesn’t really count as Kurt being mean, but I hope those 2 didn’t break up in the following episode, and if so please don’t give out any spoilers, I’m serious, I didn’t see the episode yet, I gotta wait till next week when it’s available on Hulu.com. I still think Rachel did hurt Finn by kissing Brody, and the only thing that could ever be annoying about him is the fact that he calls her “Sexy” and “Smoking” all the time, but he’s not creepy like you guys keep saying. I’m also warming up to Alex Newell’s character Wade/Unique Adams, and I hope they find a great way to utilize Samuel Larsen’s character Joe Hart, as well as Vanessa Lengies’ character Sugar Motta. Overall, average and good episode, fairly good songs but not the crowd-pleasing surprise Glee usually delivers, and I really like SJP’s new character, much more likable than Kate Hudson’s character.

10. paya says:

Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity to your publish is just cool and that i can suppose you are a professional on this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work.