Are Elementary's Holmes and Watson a Crime-Solving Dream Team?

ElementaryIs TV big enough for two Sherlocks? With the premiere of its new crime-solving drama, Elementary, on Thursday night, CBS certainly hopes so. But we want your thoughts about the Eye network’s modern take on the famous detective.

RELATED | Elementary Exclusive: Newsroom Actor Nabs Guest Spot as Sherlock’s Ally

First, a brief refresher: While Jonny Lee Miller’s sleuth may share a name with the literary icon played by Benedict Cumberbatch in PBS’ Sherlock, the similarities pretty much end there. This version of Holmes has relocated to New York City, where he works as a consultant to the local police (headed up by Aidan Quinn’s Captain Toby Gregson) after coming off a stint in rehab. To add to the edge quotient: He’s got tats and has kinky sex with a Girl With the Dragon Tattoo-esque woman.

To keep him on the straight and narrow, Sherlock’s father has hired a live-in sober companion by the name of Dr. Joan Watson (Southland‘s Lucy Liu), who accompanies him on his investigations. Yes, the latest twist on this classic story is that the beloved sidekick is now a female, which adds a whole new element to what was once a bromance. But despite the gender swap, there’s no hanky panky here. For one, Sherlock’s keen, blunt observations about Joan — she used to be a surgeon until she screwed up and lost a patient — push her away until she realizes the source of his secret pain (something happened with a woman back in London). Plus, she has to admit she kind of loves what her new charge does for a living; not to mention, she’s good at it, too.

RELATED | Elementary Exclusive: Craig Bierko, Third Watch Alum Molly Price Pique Sherlock’s Interest

What say you, TVLine nation? Grade Elementary in the poll below and then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Moff. says:

This show is trash.

• Emgee says:

Your comment may say so, but the votes clearly indicate that most disagree with you.

• Moff. says:

the votes can say whatever they damn well please. I went into this show with low expectations, and left with them lower. This show is an abomination.

• Emgee says:

Why would you watch a show if you had low expectations for it?

• Moff. says:

Because when they couldn’t get permission to remake Sherlock, they went ahead anyway. I wanted to see how far they’d miss the mark. And it appears to be by quite a bit.

• Emgee says:

Oh, nohz…they didn’t update it for modern times! How dare they?

Every comment you post makes you sound dumber and dumber.

• Emgee says:

Oh, and by the way, they don’t need permission. Sherlock Holmes is public domain.

• prish says:

I’m looking forward to it, not having seen it in Portland, Oregon, yet. I cannot get enough of Sherlock interpretations. BTW, I had heard, through the writing track, that permission is needed by the Doyle estate to do Sherlock Holmes stories, ten years ago. Maybe it is not in public domain, yet. I had heard that they were very flexible, for a small fee. I assume they were amiable to a modern day take.

• Emgee says:

SOME of the stories themselves are still under copyright, but once even one of the stories passed into public domain, so did the chraracter.

• Rachel says:

What an unintelligent comment, the poll hasn’t been up long enough to “accurately” rate the episode.

• Rachel says:

Yeah… it was pretty terrible. Blegh.

• DJT says:

He’s actually very good; she’s a complete waste of time; the show has promise only if they make the cases more interestingly complex.

• Alan says:

any holmes addaptation that feels the need to make watson a woman just to court the shippers (even if the showrunners keep saying they arent, you just know once the ratings start to slide this will become 100% ship tease) should be automatically disregaurded.
      poor johnny lee miller and lucy liu wasting their time with this bland, cookie-cutter procedural crap

2. NilesJ says:

Definitely no Sherlock, is it?

• Jake says:

You can say that again.

• Angie says:

Of course not. As opposed to Sherlock, the characters here are so far really likable.

• SoS says:

To me, it’s the opposite. Lucy Liu could be interesting as Watson judging from the pilot, but I found Miller’s Sherlock so unlikeable, I won’t be tuning in again. On the other hand, I really like the UK version. Martin Freeman’s performance in Reichenbach was incredible.

• seattlejohn449 says:

I tuned in to see Lucy Liu after her dynamic stint on Southland but found Watson under-utilyzed and Johnnie Lee Miller’s Sherlock incredibly annoying so I stopped watching after 3/4s of the episode…will be interesting to see if the public warms up to this show with Sherlock coming across as obnoxious as fan-favorite Dr House (it’s a shame Hugh Laurie wasn’t available to play the lead here in Elementary)

• Jake says:

If you don’t like the characters on Sherlock are likable, you must not understand nuanced and deep acting very well. It doesn’t seem like Elementary is aimed at a very intelligent audience, though, so you might enjoy Sherlock-Lite.

• WeeklyWeek says:

Very weak writing in my opinion…

3. Emgee says:

I absolutely loved it! Great drama and great humor. A character who is very singularly focused and quick-moving in his thinking.

Makes me miss “House” a bit less.

• Sounds a lot like BBC’s Sherlock.

• creativkook says:

I wish there was a ‘Like’ button for that.

• Brooke says:

It sounds like ALL Sherlock, for crying out loud. I have always been a fan of the original stories and all Sherlock retellings, including the BBC one, and fans of the BBC one seem to miss the point that it’s already a retelling and copy of stories that came before it! Sherlock has been remade time and again, and will continue to be. BBC’s Sherlock is excellently executed and written and acted, but it’s not significantly UNIQUE.

• Mary says:

I’ve read a lot of comments here and at EW about how this version does not compare to BBC’s version. I don’t see what the big deal is and why there can’t be two different versions of Sherlock Holmes on tv. Did people compalin this much when the Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downey JR. were made?

• Nico says:

So it’s Sherlock House, Which is exactly what i saw it as, not an abortion of the series but not a great entry. It’s Sherlock Holmes Adapted for an American audience and frankly, and in that respect it’s not that great. but it’s OK. Watson wasn’t what i hoped for, a female Watson just doesn’t challenge Holmes and can’t call him a j*ck*ss without being catty. From what they have revealed this seems to be a “Post-Irene” Holmes so essentially Joan Watson is Sherlock’s Rebound relationship. Yeah, it wasn’t bad but I’m not sure if I’ll tune in again. still not as bad as I expected just not as good as I had hoped.

• zzz says:

bbc’s sherlock is way better.

• Erin says:

He reminded me of House quite a bit. I enjoyed it.

4. Kristen says:

I think it’s very promising! This Sherlock has a Watson that demands his respect, and I love it.

5. Ally Oop says:

Procedurals hold no interest for me. Didn’t bother watching the premiere.

6. Ed says:

Can we say a darker version of “Monk”?

7. Talia says:

Compared to the rest of CBS stale boring lineup I thought Elementary was good and I’ll watch it again next week.

8. Emgee says:

Interesting how none of the comments criticizing the show give any actual reasons WHY.

Go back to watching Survivor, morons.

• Superhero says:

How about the fact that it’s just another cookie cutter police procedural that we’ve seen a million and one times befores?

• Moff. says:

Allow me to ellaborate. This show is a blatant rip off of Sherlock, the superior British version which successfully moved the setting to modern times. In fact, copyright of the execution is the sole reason John Watson is now played by a woman and the show was set in NY. While the original stories are public domain, the execution of the modern adaptation is not. Copyright law protects it which is why permission was sought (and promptly denied!). You’re welcome for a 5K law lesson. But if you want to be like pigs and roll around in S**T, by all means do so. You seem to think this is special. That it has everything you need. In that case I sincerely hope you find your special someone. They’re probably missing a few chromosomes.

• Emgee says:

Did I ever say that the modern British version was public domain!?
        *goes back and checks post*
        Hmm, nope, I didn’t.
        And I don’t need law lessons from a wannabe hack like you. I do quite fine with my law degree, thank you very much.
        As for everything after that in your post? I’m sorry, but were you on drugs when you wrote that incoherent babble?

Dumbass.

• Moff. says:

I’d be impressed if I wasn’t so terrified that your law degree came from a cracker jack box, you hack. If you actually had a law degree, you’d understand the intricacies of public domain and the fact that it absolutely does apply in this case, not in regards to the original stories but to the competition. If you have any actually clients, I’ll gladly refer them to the firm of Mo, Larry and Curly – if they want representation a few IQ points higher than someone who enjoyed Elementary’s not so spectacular premiere.

• Emgee says:

I’ll take your concerns to Yale and see if they want to revoke my degree. Don’t bet on it, though. Your posts in the comment section of a webpage may impress the hooker I’m sure you’ll be seeing this weekend, but they hardly do anything for me.

• Moff. says:

If it’s good enough for House or Sherlock, it’s good enough for me Emgee. But I don’t I don’t pay you for sex – I pay you to keep your mouth shut and leave after I’m done. now run along. It’s time for man talk with people who don’t pretend to have a Yale Law Degree on a television website.

• Emgee says:

You’re right, I COULD be pretending (but I’m not). Even though I’m sure you’re convinced that I am (face it, you are). But I bet it just kills you that you don’t know for sure, doesn’t it?

• Mycroft says:

CHILDREN, take it outside!

• Moff. says:

Mycroft, don’t you have a situation in China to take care of? And you were always breaking mother’s heart.

• Elyse says:

ok… and the British version isn’t a rip off of previous Sherlocks? or the movies? get off your high horse. we don’t care about your opinoin.

• Moff. says:

It’s called Adaptation, and it provided enough twists and cleverness to be worthy of having the character of sherlock holmes. But do feel free to continue spouting your opinion. I’m sure it has worth somewhere.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

Meh, I probably won’t try it. I just love the BBC version too much and I don’t think anyone can do that role better than Benedict. I’m still spitting nails over the fact he lost to effing Kevin Costner at the Emmys. Also, I have kind of an aversion to CBS dramas, because I still have that association in my head that CBS shows are made for old, married people like my parents to enjoy, not the young and hip. I’m still wondering how I ever got talked into getting hooked on The Good Wife. Maybe it’s because I am not quite as young and hip as I used to be. I’m getting to be in that CBS desired viewer age bracket.
    One other detail the two Sherlocks share other than their names…the scarf!

10. tahina says:

I think they made Shelock a young House. A scrubby, ill-mannered, looking genius with a past, who also happens to have drug issues and hoes.

• Scooby says:

It’s actually the other way around. They made Dr. House a version of Sherlock, just in a medical setting. That was the interesting twist, and to their credit they did it well, but it’s hardly something the House people trademarked. If anything, they were the ones borrowing the character. Wilson/Watson…hmmm…

11. AGM says:

I watched it with as much of an open mind as a BBC Sherlock fan can have. I am a logical person; I realize that both shows can have their merits. I do appreciate the fact that this Sherlock is a bit more rebellious (if tattoos can indicate rebellion), but that’s about it. I don’t like the fact that Watson shows little admiration for Sherlock’s abilities; that’s not just from the BBC version, but from the actual stories. Watson narrates those stories in a tone of awe towards Sherlock, and while that can be toned down a bit, it’s pretty much completely gone from their relationship in Elementary. Sure, Watson could develop admiration later on, but it probably won’t be based on Sherlock’s deductive abilities. Also, the humor is second-rate. All of Sherlock’s funny lines in Elementary seem like knock-offs from BBC. And nothing in this new version can compare to one of the opening scenes, at the press conference, with the journalists receiving mass texts from Sherlock, contradicting Lestrade. That’s the moment I got hooked on the BBC version, whereas this one had nothing close to that. Finally, implying that Sherlock had a romantic interest in London completely takes away from the fundamental loneliness (by choice) of his character that is a major aspect of his personality in the stories. What about this new Sherlock makes him Sherlock? The fact that he talks quickly? I mean, his deductions weren’t even that spectacular; was it really that amazing that he knew rice was a good way to get water out of a cell phone? Anyone who’s dropped their iPhone in a toilet knows that trick. Long story short, it’s mildly entertaining if I’ve got nothing else to watch, but nothing compared to the perfection of the BBC version.

• Yursare says:

I am a lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan, and although I am not a fan of the BBC mini-series, I do agree with most of your concerns. Watson is supposed to admire and respect Sherlock’s superior use of logic – he is the narrator of the story, and that admiration is the reason the story exists. I missed that. And overall, the pilot had a very, very average storyline, not giving its viewers any meat to bite into.

I am just surprised how many people are so overly protective and completely in love with the BBC series. They aren’t bad, per se, but they definitely are not the perfection people claim that show to be. And by no means is that show the golden standard by which all of Doyle’s adaptations should be measured. It’s getting annoying.

• I’m a life-long Sherlock Holmes, fan, too. At eleven years old, I wanted to be a detective, just like him! I was just *so* sure I was going to LOOK at the crime scene and find out what happened. Like you, I’m not a fan of BBC’s Sherlock. I really do not like Benedict Cumberbatch, I don’t like his view of the character I’ve held on such high standards for so long. I hate his interpretation of him. I think the show in general has a terrible pace. I think the stories are mostly boring.

HOWEVER, I just LOVED the CBS version of it. I’m not American. I’m Brazilian, in fact, so, I’m not really biased. But I thought the fast pace was amazing. At one point, I thought it was actually *too fast*, but I suppose that’s how Sherlock’s mind works. I thought the idea of Watson as a woman was innovating and daring, and like no one had done before. It was gutsy. And Jonny Lee Miller showed essence and played a much better Sherlock than I expected. I’m very pleased with it!

• AGM says:

To Yursare, maybe “perfection” was not the appropriate word, or maybe people define perfection in different ways. Personally, I like the fact that while making it modern, the BBC series still incorporated the original story lines in various ways. I appreciated the modern interpretations of “Scandal in Bohemia” and “The Final Problem.” However, as you said, it is odd to be protective over a television show, and I try not to be. As for something being a “golden standard,” I don’t think that’s possible at this point, but in terms of being a great show, Sherlock is it for me.

To Barbie, I agree that Watson being a woman was interesting. It wasn’t a travesty, but it does change the dynamic. I’m not talking about the possibility of romance; if CBS knows what’s good for them, they’ll avoid that. I do think though that there’s a struggle between the sexes that will change the character relationships. When Sherlock tells Watson that he can’t wait for her to tidy the place up, while it’s supposed to be a joke, the female Watson will take some level of offense to that, while a male Watson might find it annoying but not offensive. As for Jonny Lee Miller, I didn’t think he did a bad job; maybe it’s the writing that’s not quite completely clicking for me. However, it’s only the first episode, and it may get better.

12. rachelle says:

watched it. i’m intrigued. i’ll definitely watch a few more episodes before i make a final judgment,

13. Jennifer says:

I loved this! I admit being partial to Jonny Lee Miller but I love this sort of “twist” on the show. With all the media-whore “reality” crap on tv, yes, you Kardashians and assinine Honey Stupids, it’s one two new shows this season I’m even bothering with.

14. JC says:

It was alright. I’ll probably give it another week or two to see if it pulls me in. I actually wasn’t going to watch it, and then decided to more or less at the last minute. There was nothing wrong with it – it just was a bit slow for my tastes, and I tend to like a little more action. I mean, they don’t need to be having a shootout in the middle of a crowded intersection (I’m looking at you H50), but still. The acting was very good, and I like the characters. It just felt a bit…sedate. Especially when you think about the mad rush of the BBC version. *shrugs* Just my opinion.

15. jenn says:

I’m a huge BBC Sherlock fan. I love Cumberbatch and Freeman’s portrayals, and I still enjoyed this show. I think the premise worked, Johnny Lee Miller was good and his quirks matched Holmes, and Lucy Liu was good too. As long as they don’t get these two together the show will work. I hope Irene Adler shows up at some point during the course of the show. Seriously, I don’t get why you can’t enjoyed both shows… All in all as long as it rings true to Conan Doyle’s work, I’ll be satisfied.

• Emgee says:

Idiots like Moff. can’t enjoy both shows because they are too locked into a mindset that doesn’t allow them to think outside the box.

• Moff. says:

whereas someone who wants to accuse someone of not “thinking outside the box” uses a phrase so pitifully inside the box. While, incidentally, typing with a box. What’s it like in your mind? It must be so quiet…I envy that. I wish I had a quiet mind just like yours. Unfortunately, mine’s always buzzing and busy.

• Emgee says:

Well, ADHD will do that to you. I’d suggest seeing a medical professional. Your mom makes a very sexy nurse.

• Moff. says:

See, if you were *really* a Yale educated lawyer – or educated at all – you would know how to argue. And you don’t do it well. You do it poorly. Piss poorly. In fact, it makes me sad. I feel like I’m using a magnifying glass to melt the wings of a fly. Your insults are second rate, you’re not very good at formulating arguments and you got as far as “your mom” in terms or rebuttal. The Prosecution rests.

• Emgee says:

Really, you’re deducing my arguing skills based on comments on a message board? I can see why you make such quick snap judgments about this show. You’re not broad minded enough.

Consider yourself thoroughly defeated. Now, isn’t it past your bedtime?

• Moff. says:

In a word? Yes. There was nothing to “deduce” because you’re an open book. You’re argumentative, so you’ve got an ego. You don’t like it being bruised, which causes you to lash out. You’re not very thorough which leaves you open for attack on almost every level, especially the one that matters most to you – your mind. When arguing – especially about a television show which, if it had been done right, would have emulated the science of deduction – one must use those skills to assess and then thoroughly ridicule one’s opponent. You think that deduction is your ally? You merely adopted deduction. I was born in it. Raised it. The Shadows Betray You, Because They Belong To Me. oops, wrong movie. But the point stands: you’re very good at what you do. So if you do have a degree from University of Phoenix or whatever only course you got it from, please. Take it down. And light it on fire. A Fire Rises.

• Zak says:

Based on all your reply’s and need to put everything down it clear you have the mental capacity of a sixteen year old. Their isn’t a single thing you’ve said in all your ramblings of this page that is original in any way. You sound like someone who is trying to talk down to people yet doing so in ways that you’ve only seen in movies and television. It’s clear that you have no friends in the real world and in order to explain it to yourself as to why that’s the case you have convinced yourself that your simply smarter than everyone else. When the truth is extremely simple. Your an ass who lack’s an original thought and social skills.

• Mycroft says:

KIDDIES, I won’t tell you again— take it outside or I’ll give the two of you a spanking. This is for adults, not children in their little sandbox.

16. Jo says:

Just more procedural trash from the network for Philistines.

17. Dina says:

I like it. I love the BBC Sherlock, but this one was okay. Instead of comparing it to the TV show of another country, I compared it to the dramas currently available in this country. There are very few on network TV that I watch. This might be one of them. A point in its favor is good actors. True, the ‘mystery’ was not that mysterious, but what show on TV has had a genuine head scratcher in recent years? As soon as you see the guest star, you know who did it. Will chemistry build and will the writing hold up? That’s what will make the show.

18. Jill says:

Sorry I can NOT get passed Watson being female, and I am a woman. Conan Doyle did not write Watson this way, so why do TV excus get this right? The BBC Sherlock does stay true to the Conan Doyle stories This CBS version does not.

• Dina says:

By that logic, neither show should be on, because Conan Doyle did not write his stories for the year 2000 or later. But I do know how you feel, I never watched BG2 because they made Starbuck a female.

• mia says:

If that’s the reason you haven’t watched the new BSG, then I’m sad for you. Sad for you a)not being comfortable with an increase in badass female characters on tv and b)the new BSG is one of the best dramas ever produced.

• Emgee says:

Why do TV execs get this right? Perhaps because the characters are public domain.

Open up your mind. It’s this kind of closed-mindedness that leads to Republicans getting elected.

• Zak says:

I followed you, until you brought up politics. You do realize your comment about closed-mindedness is more of an insult at yourself than at Republicans. Stating that closed-mindedness is what lets Republicans be elected in of it’s self a closed minded view.

• Moff. says:

Let’s see that PolySci degree while you’re making the rounds. And yes, I would like some fries with that.

• Zak says:

I’m assuming your post is directed at me so I will reply in kind. Political issues which you may or may not be aware of, can not be boiled down into one blanketed statement. It does a disservice to the issue and is something that people all to often tact on to statement’s in order to make sweeping generalization’s that more often than not counteract what they just said. I was merely trying to point out the contradictions in the post since I don’t think politics should be brought into a discussion about a television show.
          Also what do you have against people who work in the fast food industry? I’ve never done it personally, but those people are working eight hour shifts like everyone else. Looking down on people based on were they work only reinforces the fact that your an ass. Who are you to judge someone for how they support themselves and family? I’m the byproduct of a single mother who worked as a housekeeper to support herself and four kids. Are you going to sit their in your ivory throne and look down at her job to make yourself feel better about what I’m only guessing is an extraneously amount of self hatred and loathing.

• Moff. says:

Actually, it’s for Emgee. Read through her comments and you’ll have a bit of context. Your post is too long, so I didn’t read past the first sentence but I’m sure you made great points.

19. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu were great. Their interactions made this show worth watching. The rest of the world and the police case not so much.

20. Airyane says:

I enjoyed the show but I love Johnny Lee Miller. And yes I like Lucy as Watson. You could see her getting pulled into the job. Well done.

21. ben says:

I’d say as a procedural it was better than “OK,”, but it definitely needs some work needed done. As for a Sherlock interpretation – I didn’t care for it all. Then again that’s the point of interpretations, different people will like different ones. It’s definitely not for me, and I won’t be watching again, but I imagine it will do well, especially since it’s on CBS. It’s not bad, but it’s not for me.

22. Meaghan says:

I adore the BBC Sherlock version, but that’s no reason not to give this one a try. I watched the first episode and enjoyed it, as did my boyfriend. I’ll be tuning in. There’s no reason why you can’t like both shows. They are all after all, based off of Doyle’s stories.

• Lena120 says:

I agree. There’s no reason that one show has to be pitted against the other. No offense to the fans of BBC’s Sherlock, but the constant comparisons need to stop. They’re both based on a character in public domain. It’s free reign. Moffat didn’t create Sherlock so he can’t monopolize the character. I thought Jonny Lee Miller was amazing. Lui was OK, they just need to flesh out her character more. There’s time and room for improvement. But overall I liked it. I can’t stand these quick dismissals because of some blind loyalty a show and its creator. The way some of these people are acting, you’d think Moffat were paying them to act like 14 year old trolls on here.

• Right? People have gotten completely ridiculous. It’s one thing to not care for a show but when people start claiming that everyone who likes a show they don’t must be stupid, that’s just insane and a sure mark of an overinvested fanboy/fangirl.

I like the BBC Sherlock, but I really liked this too. They both have their merits.

23. Ana says:

Not my cup of tea. I missed the Scandal premiere to watch thus and I ended up changing the channel 15 minutes in. This character is not likeable. Not even in a, I love to hate you, kind of way. This Sherlock is not witty or charming. He’s annoying. And I thought Lucy Liu was going to be kind of a badass Watson standing up to Holmes but instead she was mousy and insecure. I found myself getting distracted until I just had to give up. But then again I’m not a CBS watcher. I only watch The Good Wife on that network. But I wanted to give this a shot. Oh well. Can’t say it was bad, it just didn’t work for me.

24. Jake says:

When I’ve already seen the utter perfection that is the BBC’s Sherlock, why waste my time on a subpar rip-off? No, thank you.

25. Jo says:

SOME GET IDRIS ELBA ON THIS SHOW. He can be Moriarty.

26. Lyo says:

My main issue with this show is Sherlock. While I hate some of the choices they made with Joan’s backstory (removing her from the army, etc), her character still feels like Watson to me. She’s absolutely spot on. The weak spot is Holmes, like they spent so much time working on Watson that they ignored Holmes. I’m not ready to quite write it off yet, but I’m not sure if I’m reading for a Sherlock Holmes who “spares people’s feelings” either,

• J. Norman says:

I tend to agree. They need to tone Holmes down a bit.
      I can live with the stunt casting of having a female Watson. Lucy Liu does a pretty good job.

27. pete says:

this sherlock feels much more brash than what he should be, maybe like he doesnt think things though enough. We’ve had House, Monk, Psych, and the BBC’s Sherlock, this one doesnt stack up. Seems like its just an average show

28. pete says:

Also what was with the baseball game thing at the end, that was a bit ridiculous

29. Mo says:

I decided to give this a try because I love the characters and respected the actors who were cast, and I’d heard pretty good things from people who saw early previews. And although I liked it, I didn’t love it. I’ll give it a few more episodes to decide for sure, because I feel like you can never really judge a show by the pilot. Except in the case of BBC’s Sherlock, which had me hooked within 5 minutes.

30. Katie says:

I thought it was a very good pilot and I enjoyed seeing a female Watson. I think I am going to give it a chance.

31. Jo says:

It’s like any other police show – just by using well down names they think they can get a big audience. I wanted to like it but it failed big time.

32. Peter says:

Ehhh… I mean I liked Miller, but I’d still probably rank him at least 4th on my list of best Holmes ever. I mean for what it is it works, but it sure as hell can’t compare to Sherlock. Or the movies. I mean, they are different, and while about the same character it may seem a bit unfair to compare them, but as it stands no contest. Still, they didn’t really exploit the Brit vs Yank stuff that much, or the fact that Watson’s a woman, at least not yet. Hell the mystery was pretty decent. I mean, if this show didn’t have superior works it needed to be compared to, it would be great. Problem is it does and its hard to judge it on its own merits, thus I can only call it ‘fine.’

33. Em says:

I enjoyed the show. It’s different from the PBS version, which I also watch. However, the PBS version only appears once a year for three episodes. So, I will enjoy this version as well. Considering it is only the pilot, after watching just one episode, it really isn’t fair to not let it develop for a bit. Loved the actors and the pace.

34. Sheesh. says:

You can’t make Watson a girl and call this Sherlock Holmes. Sorry, you just can’t.

You can change plot elements and setting but if you mess with the basic premise then what you get isn’t an adaptation anymore, it’s something completely different.

35. Ari says:

In case you haven’t noticed, Elementary is not Sherlock. They are not claiming or attempting to be anything like Sherlock. I thought it was fantastic, and if you stopped comparing it to Sherlock [which is one of my favorite series ever and is truly brilliant], you could see the potential. They have made huge changes to the dynamic of the show and the characters and I think it really works. I’ll be tuning in every week for what its worth…

36. Hillary says:

Say what you will about the show – I love Sherlock Holmes enough to enjoy both adaptations – but you’ve got to give it credit for thoroughly working up the people who post in these comments!

37. arial2 says:

Holmes’ intensity is a little over the top for the 10 pm hour. On the up side, if one dvrs the show or watches it On Demand before going to work, it could be an alternative to caffeine. I hope Holmes calms down a little once he gets used to his new “personal valet” because I liked everything else about the show. Even though it was one of the highlights of every teaser, I still laughed when Holmes delivered his Google line, that not everything can be deduced.

38. Lilly says:

Elementary is a good crime drama. But it’s not “Sherlock Holmes”. Just because two people are named Sherlock and Watson don’t mean we have Sherlock Holmes in our hands. Not only Watson isn’t sooo not Watson, Sherlock isn’t Sherlock either. BBC’s Sherlock and Watson are more Sherlock and Watson.
    Elementary is just a good crime drama with some random people who are co-incidentally named Sherlock and Watson. But not ever, ever, ever any kind of similar to the characters of Arthur Conan Doyle and it doesn’t even have anything to do with the gender!

• Fido says:

Maybe in future eps the writers will bring in recognizable bits from the Sherlock Holmes “back catalogue” and so it’ll then feel more Sherlocky (well this is what I’m hoping will happen).

39. Elyse says:

i have watched BBC’s Sherlock Season 1 and 2 on Netflix… it’s awesome! but i am also very excited about CBS’s version of Sherlock. i LOVE Sherlock so i am excited to have it on my TV every Thursday :)

40. a says:

I really like JLM, so I tried my best to give this a fair shot. Only made it about 3/4 through–just too slow and boring to stick it out. Not sure if I’ll try it again. Very not-Holmesian to me. Wish JLM the best. Hope to see him in something better soon.

41. Jennifer S says:

I personally love both versions but for completely different reasons. I loved Elementary because I have always been a Johnny Lee Miller fan and am excited to see him back and speaking in a more natural accent than the one he had in Eli Stone. I am going to give this show a chance. This first episode is the pilot, so therefore not always super strong cause they are having to lay out a bunch of back story to explain the characters. What could hurt the show is that it requires an intelligent viewer and lately those kind of shows don’t make the cut.
    I am also a fan of Sherlock and have watched that multiple times because the acting is phenomenal. Not a huge Benedict fan, but LOVE Martin Freeman. Just a great ensemble piece on this one, with great writing.

42. Alex says:

I enjoyed it. I was reading a few previews that say the banter gets a little better after they get to know each other. So I’m okay that I’m along for the ride. What I would actually like to see are better mysteries then the first one. What I loved about much of Sherlock Holmes was many times the difficulty behind figuring it out by the time he did, and seeing that the clues were actually there, and it wasn’t something that Doyle didn’t tell you. In this one (without spoilers), as soon as we saw the killer, I nailed the entire conclusion, and really didn’t even have to think about it, AT ALL.

43. TricksterGirl says:

I think everyone needs to calm down. They are shows, there is no need to insult people in the way some people are.

Personally, I like all versions of the Sherlock brand, Of the BBC and Elementary versions I personally prefer the BBC version, as there is a better connection between John and Sherlock than i feel (at least in the first episode) there was between Joan and Sherlock. However, Elementary Sherlock seems a little more personable (a smidge) than BBC Sherlock, just that bit more human, so both have their pros and cons.

44. Alana says:

Aside from the names, I’m not sure that this show has much more to do with Sherlock Holmes than other shows with Sherlock-inspired moody geniuses, like House and various TV detectives. The dynamic between Holmes and Watson seemed very different from the stories, and Sherlock’s personality was not very similar to that of the original character. Still, for what it was, I thought that Miller did a very good job of portraying his character, and Liu was all right too. I hope that the writing staff gets better at coming up with Sherlock’s brilliant deductions; concluding whose grave Watson was visiting on the grounds that it couldn’t be her parents or siblings doesn’t make any sense (it could have been a friend? an older relative who died before the family became rich?) Also, I would say that Doyle’s stories have a certain joyfulness about “the game” of solving crimes, which is one thing that the British series captured really well in spite of their darker tone. I’m waiting for that to show up on Elementary–hopefully it will. Overall, an enjoyable mystery with good performances and no huge flaws; it seems worth watching so long as you don’t focus too much on its being an adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle’s writing, and I’ll definitely give it another try next week.

• Tara says:

ITA. I found that if I watched it thinking of him as Holmes-like rather than actually Sherlock, it worked. So that is how I intend to view future episodes.

45. Kristina says:

It was ok. It’s always hard to judge by the pilot, but it was about what I expected. No surprise, he British one’s better. How DO they make such good tv over there?

• whatevs says:

I assume we only know about the good ones, because, well, why would they bring the crappy shows here?

• Greg says:

The BBC doesn’t have tv commercials, therefore all that demographics/Nielsens stuff doesn’t apply to them. I think they concentrate on quality over quantity with their programming.

I decided to watch Elementary, taking it for what it really is – a usual CBS procedural – and I liked it. I feel it will be THE big hit for CBS this season. When I remember last year and the god-awful Unforgettable, I think Elementary will be around for a while.

46. Polly says:

I gave this a chance but i wasn’t impressed.
    i would’ve liked it more if they dare a little bit more instead of sticking to the box of the “CBS Procedural Show”.
    too many times during the episodes i felt situations that could easily be part of an episode of The Mentalist or CSI:Somewhere.
    however, since it was just the pilot, i’ll watch another couple of episodes before deciding to drop it.

47. Missy Kelly says:

thought that he was a tad annoying but will keep watching. Johnny Lee Miller is a great underrated actor – it’s better than Unforgettable

48. meem says:

I thought the acting was quite good (it’s a great cast). But the LAST thing this world needs is another crime procedural on CBS. Enough already.

49. susela says:

There’s no point in comparing this with Cumberbatch’s “Sherlock,” they’re two completely different shows. Besides, there’s room for innumerable Holmes’—Patrick Jane is a Sherlock Holmes, as were House and Gus Grissom. The super-smart, know-it-all, “how does he do that?” character is timeless. Jonny Lee Miller is an exceptional actor; there’s something luminous about him, which served his character Eli Stone quite well. Now the luminosity adds a depth and unexpected humanity to his Sherlock. I loved this. I’m all in.

50. NilesJ says:

To me, this was just another OK CBS procedural. Nothing more, which really doesn’t make it anything I would go out of my way to watch. I actually like JLM, but found his portrayal of Holmes a bit off and pale in comparison to Cumberbatch’s. Also not impressed with the writing. Did like the music. Big fan of the ACD books/stories and many screen incarnations of Holmes (Brett and Cumberbatch my favorites.) Like House and Monk and The Mentalist, this just did not do anything for me. I think I might have appreciated it more if the characters were not named Holmes and Watson…