Blind Item: The Grim Reaper's About to Claim the Life of a Beloved Leading Lady!

Get More: Blind Item, News

UPDATE: BLIND ITEM SOLVED! You know how hard you usually work to identify the subject of our blind items? You may not wanna do that today, because once you figure out who this one’s about, you’re probably not gonna like it!

You see, a longish-running (more than four seasons but fewer than nine), 60-minute series is gearing up to bump off one of its lead female stars. Even more upsetting, the soon-to-be-deceased is going to meet her maker off screen. (Her “last” episode will take place at her funeral. Closed-casket, even!)

RELATED | X-Rated Blind Item Revealed!

That the actress in question is on her way out won’t come entirely as a shock, mind you — for a while, the writing’s been on the wall, if not on her character’s tombstone. But, since you won’t get a chance to say a proper, sorta in-person goodbye, it’s highly likely there will be a bit of backlash.

So, do you dare wager a guess as to whom is about to become roadkill? Hit the comments below.

Tags:

Comments (502)

• Kalinda or Diane on The Good Wife? Either one would be really, really, sad and a big fat mistake but Diane leaving would open up the option of Will getting a new partner. Alicia, perhaps?

Comment by Linderella – September 27, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Good Wife is on its fourth season. The blind item says the show has MORE than four seasons.

Comment by Ethan – September 28, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreeing with the comments about Kim Delaney on Army Wives. I highly doubt any show is going to kill off a lead female character halfway through a season, offscreen, with Sweeps Month just around the corner. This only makes sense if the show is between seasons, and by killing the character off screen they don’t have to pay for the actress to return for one episode. Brutal, but TV’s a business first and foremost. The only other show I can think of that fits this is Rookie Blue, but as season 3 has only just finished I doubt they’ve started scripting season 4 yet. Army Wives is already into the contract negotiation stage.

Comment by Dizzle – September 27, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rookie Blue is already filming season 4, but I doubt it is the show the blind item is talking about since it is not coming back until about May. Set your sights on a show that is coming back in the fall.

Comment by Jena – September 27, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s nothing in this clue to suggest it is a show coming back in the Fall. In fact, all they state is that the show is “gearing up” to kill off the character.

Comment by Dizzle – September 28, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *more than four* suggest that is five up. Also, none of the Rookie Blue girls have been absent, or their deaths (by a car accident?) wouldn’t be a total shock! Besides, they’re Canadian! They don’t just kill people for the sake of killing people! (Unless it’s The Listener!)

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 28, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Greys Christinna is at mayo. We wouldn’t have to see it.

Comment by Lynn – September 27, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not Army Wives, jeesh. The episode in question is obviously filmed already and is a FALL show, not next spring/summer. Army Wives has not started renegotiating contacts with any cast members and they certainly haven’t even started writing season 7 and the show won’t go back into production for months yet.

Comment by Maria – September 27, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Still think you are wrong, Maria. If you watch the show, you know what lengths they have gone to to try to explain KD’s absence………ridiculous. Much better to write her out since it appears she is not able to fulfill her contract. It has been a distraction. I hope this will take care of that.

Comment by Apolonia – September 27, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my three guesses are
    Astrid – Fringe
    Olivia – Fringe
    LaGuerta – Dexter

Comment by Sadie Jarvis (@willow138) – September 27, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please let it be LaGuerta!

Comment by Jeanne C – October 9, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Benson on SVU.

Comment by Benjamin Carr – September 27, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SVU is in its 14th season. It’s too old. It has to be a show in seasons 4-9.

Comment by nick1372 – September 27, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peggy? MAD MEN?

or someone from Dexter ; (

Comment by Nelson C – September 27, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dexter – LaGuerta

Comment by Jeanne C – October 9, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it’s not Kate Beckett or Temperance Brennan I really don’t care.

Comment by carolyn gay – September 27, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Private Practice; but maybe Charlotte (NOOOO) or Violet (YESSSSS)….?

Comment by Sunny Gee – September 27, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was Ivy from Smash but seeing that Smash is only going on season 2 that wouldn’t fit…

Comment by Dee – September 27, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re not gonna kill off Ivy

Comment by Brandy – September 27, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This blind item has Grey’s Anatomy written everywhere….my bet is (sigh) Arizona (sigh)!

Comment by S1monetz – September 27, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s definitely Jenny, which would expain the whole “closed-casket” “off-screen” thing, since I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to pay to bring that chick back on set for even one episode.

Comment by Val – September 27, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jenny on GGs memorial service” was a foiller it said right underneath plus she’s been off the show for a long time not in season 5 or 6,only a couple episodes of season four.)Why would they write her out twice?leaving for Hudson to live with her mom end of season three was once now to kill her?makes no sense.We wouldve hear if she was coming back/being written out again before this.

Comment by Brandy – September 27, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry to say…but she is coming back for the series finale! She was filming on Tuesday!

Comment by M – October 18, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No not Marissa Cooper!!!

Comment by Jason – September 27, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best move that show ever did. Too bad they didn’t off her in Season 2. The show might have lasted longer.

Comment by Allison – September 28, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never even watched that show but I wanna love this comment.

Comment by Flower (@floraisadora) – September 29, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Claudia Joy from Army Wives…
    We already know that Kim Delaney isn’t returning so *shrugs*… I think its her hands down!!!

Comment by Honor – September 27, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be Hetti on NCIS-LA.

Comment by Jill – September 27, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NCIS:LA has just entered its fourth season. It says more than four.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 28, 2012 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking Hetty, too… since she has “resigned” and been absent so many times it really has kind of felt like she was leaving. I hope not!! They just started Season 4, so hopefully that makes it too young.

Comment by Christi – October 2, 2012 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hetty just told Callen last Tuesday that if she died she wanted no big funeral or flowers. She said this while standing in a a cemetary after visitng Hunter’s grave. I got a chill because I ahd read this item just before I watched the show. It better not be Hetty as she is the heart and soul of NCIS-LA. I love Linda Hunt!

Comment by Deanne – October 8, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castles mom?

Comment by Dan – September 27, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seem to remember something about Angela from Bones leaving the show. So as much as I’d hate that, that’s what I’m going with.

Comment by Jeff – September 27, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angela isn’t a lead, she’s a supporting character. On Bones, only Brennan is a lead.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 28, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the mother on Parenthood. There has been an question if the father’s is fit to drive.

Comment by di – September 27, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood hasn’t reached 4 seasons yet.

Comment by nick1372 – September 27, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring CSI:Miami cack just don’t leave it hanging, that’s just plain dumb. Well the only thing I’m warxching on CBS is NCIS, and NCIS LA….Other the that here I come USA..Burn Notice,Royal Pains Ect…

Comment by gvela – September 27, 2012 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be gemma since she is supposed to be starring in sutters new show.

Comment by Joe – September 27, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no life, so I’m gonna analyze each hour-long show on the air 1-by-1, k?
    Castle- I was gonna say nah, but then I saw “closed-casket”. Shivers.
    Private Practice- Shonda Rhimes is notorious for killing off characters.
    Criminal Minds- I know nothing about this show.
    The Mentalist- Possibly
    Gossip Girl- It’s the final season. Who knows?
    90210/TVD- I don’t really care about these shows
    Supernatural- There’s not even a leading lady as far as I know (I don’t watch)
    Dexter- The most likely. It’s a show about a serial killer, after all.
    I’m still at a loss.
    Does the 4-9 season limitation include shows in seasons 4 and 9?

Comment by nick1372 – September 27, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I forgot, Fringe is also a possiblility.

Comment by nick1372 – September 27, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like I said before, the hint they give is: “That the actress in question is on her way out won’t come entirely as a shock, mind you — for a while, the writing’s been on the wall, if not on her character’s tombstone.”

NO ONE on Castle, Bones, Criminal Minds or Private Practice matches that. Bones and Castle are not multiple cast shows — they’re on-lead shows. They only have one lead, and the show wouldn’t work without them. Not only both are alive and well, have been in all episodes, and it would be a shock, but the “one of the leads” phrasing would work for them.

For Criminal Minds, none of the women fits the criteria. JJ and Garcia have been in every episode, strongly (especially JJ), with no death threats, with nothing that would indicate they’d leave, no rumors, nothing. Jeanne Tripplehorn has just joined.

For Private Practice, Addison would be the only one whose exit is imminent. All the others, again, have been in pretty much all episodes with strong story arcs, no exit rumors, nothing that would make us think. A death for Amelia, Violet or Charlotte would certainly come out of nowhere. Don’t fit the “won’t come entirely as a shock” criterion. Even for Addison, as Shonda has been promising a happy farewell (though, you know not to trust Shonda). BUT, they’ve JUST had an off-scream death. Would she do another, when Shonda is blood-thirsty?

Comment by Barbie Furtado – September 28, 2012 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t watch the rest, but Kate Beckett has had someone trying to kill her for seasons. She got shot last season. Even after Monday’s episode, anyone with half a brain knows she’s still in some kind of danger.

Comment by nick1372 – September 29, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But even someone with half a brain knows Castle is a one-lead show, and no Beckett, no show. Also, killed her off in a car accident would be, well, just plain stupid ;-) And, Ausiello just ruled out ABC shows! :)

Comment by Barbie Furtado – October 2, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My money’s on January Jones. She’s been fading out of that show for a while now. I’m actually surprised she’s remained on as long as she has.

Comment by Terry – September 27, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Violet on Private Practice?

Comment by crtcw – September 27, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa on Supernatural. She’s like the only lady left up in the air (aka not killed off, besides Meg and the Sheriff), and her character has been dealt with. I could see Dean somehow hearing of her death and attending her funeral.

Comment by Courtney – September 27, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh Lord NO! Then we would have to find something to do with Ben and no, just no!! Actually Supernatural is the one show that should be safe from this spoiler. They don’t have any female leads. It could be the new recurring female character being introduced this year (to avoid spoilers). But she can hardly be called a lead.

Comment by Percysowner – September 27, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mrs. Landingham for West Wing

Comment by Bill – September 27, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely fits the blind item, doesn’t it? :P

Comment by DarkDefender – September 30, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone on Glee?

Comment by Jerri – September 27, 2012 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not Addison Montgomery, Shonda saif Addison will have a happy ending and Kate Walsh said that she may be back in Grey’s later on

Comment by sharona – September 28, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of the shows I watch here is a breakdown:

Hart of Dixie: No, starting second season
    Private Practice: No, ( as bad as shonda can be I believe she will let Addison have a happy ending)
    Bones: No, there has been no hint that a character is on its way out.
    Big Bang Theory: no, 30 minute
    TVD: NO, starting 4th season
    Grey’s anatomy: no, starting 9th season
    Gossip Girl: no, in my oppinion there has been no writing on the wall for any character.

So, I have no guess…that is all I know.

Comment by Aimee – September 28, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about parenthood???

Comment by v – September 28, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood is in its third season. It’s too young. It has to be between four and nine.

Comment by nick1372 – September 29, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Parenthood is in it’s fourth you idjit. Don’t talk what you don’t know.

Comment by Winston – October 19, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yikes. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Anyway, it’s still too young. It has to be over 4 and under 9.

Comment by nick1372 – October 20, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gemma will fake her death and run away. And then I, thank goodness, will finally stop watching SOA.

Can I haz it, Kurt? Please. I want the new comedy w/Katey like right now.

Comment by Aerynismybff – September 28, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d say Gemma from Sons of Anarchy but I highly doubt Kurt Sutter would give her such a dumb death.

Comment by Kelli – September 28, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gemma is probably my favorite female character ever but at this point I’d rather see her get killed off because what the writers are doing to her character is tragic. And I’ve lost interest in the show as a whole so at least with her gone, I will be able to stop watching. Jmo.

Comment by Kelli – September 28, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of soa. I also hope they kill off Tara too. She’s such a piece of sh*t and most of her fans are Gemma haters. I wanna see them suffer. Justice for all.

Comment by Aerynismybff – September 29, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Erm. Well. I mean I wanna see ALL of Gemma Teller haters suffer. All of them. Where’s Darth Vader when you need one?

Comment by Aerynismybff – October 1, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gemma!Haters will burn in hell. Forever. Hating is bad. Tsk tsk.

Comment by C.White – October 4, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lily Van De Woodsen or Claudia Joy FTW

Comment by Bradly – September 30, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know people have established it’s not Grey’s but does anyone think they might kill Izzie off off-camera this season like they were going to last year? She said Alex would get closure this year and Shondra doesn’t want Katherine Heigl back even though she wants to come back.

Comment by dude – September 30, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking its Annie aka Shenae Grimes from 90210. She’s the new Brenda and this is season 5 where she should be making her departure.

Lol kidding, still bitter and missing her on Degrassi.

My real guess is Ivy from 90210. She’s getting the boot from the series and it’d be ironic given what happened to Dixon in the finale.

If not someone from the CW then maybe Deb from Dexter.

Comment by Master_K – October 1, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, considering Annie’s history with car accidents…

Comment by Summer – October 2, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Van Pelt from the mentalist…

Comment by Christina – October 2, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not an ABC show he says. Hmm…

Comment by Kit – October 2, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I’m thinking Gossip Girl. They’ll do a flash-forward in the finale.

Comment by Jay – October 3, 2012 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Van Pelt from the Mentalist. Fits perfectly actually. The actress is pregnant IRL, so in order to avoid headaches trying to write it in the storyline,the screenwriters will get rid of this character and replace her with another.Simple as that.
    Quote: “Ausiello: Amanda Righetti’s real-life pregnancy (which, as we previously reported, will not be written into Van Pelt’s storyline) will create a vacancy on the show’s canvas this spring — one that may or may not be filled. “It’s hard to say how long [she'll be gone] because these things are not predictable,” admits exec producer Bruno Heller, adding, “We’re talking about [whether to bring in someone new] now.”

Comment by valezza – October 3, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Van Pelt from The Mentalist, Garcia from Criminal Minds or Cam or Angela from Bones. Garcia would be the only one that would break my heart.

Comment by Ben – October 3, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OOoooo Izzie on Greys is a good guess

Comment by Bradly – October 3, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like if it were an action or crime show at all there would be much better ways to kill them than a car crash. If you had to kill, say, Olivia offscreen, would you not have observers kill her?

Comment by Gilda – October 3, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He has confirmed that it is not an ABC show. If it’s someone from any of the CSI or Law & Order shows, I don’t watch any of them, so cannot speculate. Perhaps Astrid from Fringe, or maybe Fiona or Maddie from Burn Notice, none of which I would like to see. I also hope it is not Elizabeth from White Collar, but I think she’s too valuable to the show. Another possibility I don’t like but seems possible would be Joan Campbell from Covert Affairs. That’s if cable shows are included in this, of course.

Comment by Sable – October 3, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And once again I chose the wrong character to love. Why? Oh why.

Please let it be Gemma Teller. She’s turning into a monster she was long time ago and this is painful. I can’t see her like this it breaks my heart. Get on with it already, the brain behind sons. Let her die. Most of her truly loyal fans will accept that.

Comment by C.White – October 3, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s Debra on Dexter.

Comment by aiza11 – October 4, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Betty Draper.

Comment by jp – October 4, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Bonnie from TVD!!!!

Comment by Caitlin – October 4, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lindsey from CSI NY. this is the 9th season. Its not on ABC.

Comment by Teri – October 4, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first I was afraid it might be Winona in Justified, but the item said MORE than 4. So, phew!! She should be okay.

Comment by Stephen S. – October 5, 2012 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post