Once Upon a Time's Season 2 Premiere: 13 Quick Observations

Well-placed sources tell me exclusively that it took some eye of newt, wool of bat, an adder’s fork and 10 boiled eggs to make it happen, but the Once Upon a Time Season 2 premiere magically (and finally) appeared on my laptop today.

VIDEO | Which Once Upon a Time Newcomer Has Ginnifer Goodwin Snow Excited?

Of course, the best of you — the stalwart and patient ones — will no doubt bide your time for the next four days until the episodes materializes on your flat-screens, and instead of reading this go post a comment about the Oh Sit! renewal. But for the rest of you, I offer 13 quick and not-at-all spoilery observations.

* The premiere starts off in perhaps one of the last locations you would expect, and you’d be hard-pressed to guess which person is in those scenes.

* There’s this.

* “Grandpa?” Yeah, you are so gonna kvell.

RELATED | New Once Upon a Time Episode Titles Revealed: Whose Backstories Are Coming?

* Belle cleans up really, really, really, really well.

* Who are you, Whale? That is an excellent question. In fact… it’s a question asked by one of the main characters.

* Speaking of Dr. Whale: Apparently David never got looped in on the brief little somethin’-somethin’ that Mary Margaret had going with the frisky physician. (We were on a break!) That sets the table for a rather hilarious passing moment.

VIDEO | Once Upon a Time Sneak Peeks: Emma Snubs Snow, Fairytale Land’s Fate, Rumple’s Revenge

* Reer! Princess Aurora is more than a little jealous of Mulan’s “loyalty” to Prince Phillip. Also: Aurora and Phillip really like to kiss. Get thee a room!

* You know how the producers always share their zeal for offering a new spin on familiar fairytale characters? In the spirit of that, be patient with the Aurora/Phillip/Mulan storyline….

* There’s a recurring… thing… throughout the episode, that I most likely can’t talk about. But I’ll say this: The special FX involved are extremely cool.

* Why wouldn’t Emma be thrilled to finally find her parents? Stay tuned, because she will tell you exactly why — and I’ll be damned if she doesn’t makes a compelling argument.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Season 2: Jennifer Morrison Talks ‘Complicated’ Reunion, Magical Emma

* David at one point says, “I know it’s old-fashioned… but so am I.” Ha!

* Chip!

* ABC literally has warned reporters that if we reveal the ending, “Regina will find you and curse you.” So, as much as I fancy an in-person visit from Lana Parrilla — and even though the first OMG! moment takes place a few scenes before what is technically the ending (which itself an OMG! moment) — I must heed their wishes. But wow.

Oh, reminder: Once Upon a Time premieres Season 2 this Sunday at 8/7c.

1. sara says:

I heard it’s pretty good

2. sara says:

A little Harry Potterish though.

3. Missy Kelly says:

Dag nabbit! I love premiere week and am especially glad that I am not a TV reporter cause it takes the fun out of watching it live (and getting up and getting a drink or doing dishes during the commercials) but I for one am waiting patiently for Sunday night because to say I can’t wait seems rather silly when in fact you will wait. Sunday Night – Once Upon A Time, Revenge, and the Good Wife – that’s a night of great programming! (Sorry not going to watch the evil 666 Park Avenue – just don’t do scary evil)

4. bruceeff says:

Good special FX? That’s encouraging to read.

5. Addie says:

This is probably when I am the most jealous of you guys. I want to watch it now! I probably shouldn’t have read this article because now I’ll be more impatient, but I’m weak when it comes to spoilers. It sounds so good!

6. Heather says:

Thanks for the teasers although they did make me even more impatient for Sunday night, LOL ;) This is the show I’ve been so excited about and anxious for all summer and I cannot wait to see the premiere on Sunday. I got a few other people hooked on the show last season so it’s been fun getting excited with them these last few weeks! Charming Family Reunion for the win and “Grandpa?” all ready made me Aww out loud! =)

7. This is so exciting. While reading this does send me into a frenzy of impatience for this Sunday, I kind of enjoy the feeling of excitement so it’s ok.

8. Gerald says:

Thanks! Can’t we expect one for Revenge?

9. Brenna says:

Cant wait for the Rumbelle scene where she finds the cup!!! can it be sunday yet?!?!?!!??! :)

10. Jesse says:

Chip? That’s awesome! Can we PLEASE get a Cameo from Angela Lansbury as Mrs Potts, while we are still fortunate enough to have her? Maybe she is the one woman who can put Gold/Rumpelstiltskin in his place!

• ben says:

Although it is never going to happen, it would be TRULY amazing if it did. They would just have to do it in a way that it never hurt the show if they couldn’t get her for more than one episode.

• Evan says:

Are you sure it’s that Chip? This one could be looking for Dale for all we know.

11. BelleRumpleFan says:

This sounds really exciting!

Chip and pretty Belle, I’m especially looking forward to both!

12. Jay says:

I’m really excited for the Charming family reunion and an explanation as to why Emma is apparently resentful. All I keep thinking about is that scene Ginnifer played where Snow had to give her up & tear up. It’s not like she wanted to send Emma away!! So hopefully Emma & her parents can work it out (and fast) b/c I think they have some happy catching up to do.

Oh and “Grandpa”? Love it already!!

13. Anthea says:

OMG!!!!! OUAT is driving me crazy, I ha ve one question what do you mean with “there is” (charlie’s girl song)

14. kate says:

Oh, I can’t wait! But seriously, can someone tell me what happen with august!!!

• wednesday says:

I’m with you! I can’t wait to see August either! And I can’t wait to see Jefferson as well. They were two of my favorite characters on the show. And I’m DYING to see Emma apologize to Jefferson for thinking he was crazy and banging him over the head. He told you he was telling the truth as did August and Henry! You know Emma shouldn’t be too angry at Snow or Charming, she should really be angry at Geppetto for sending Pinocchio. If he hadn’t lied to her, Snow could’ve gone with her and she would’ve been alone. Did he really expect a 7 yr old boy to raise a baby. Sorry I’m really over thinking this, but I just hope they don’t have Emma hold a grudge through half the season. It will ruin the show for me. Sunday can’t get here fast enough!

15. Mike says:

I’m just happy to hear it’s good, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about a sophmore slump, or whether or not breaking the curse after only the first season was a mistake..Can’t wait until Sunday!!!

16. Love the “we were on a break!” comment. Too funny, espiecally if you are familur with FRIENDS. I think Charming may have been in the comma when she slept with Whale…and Charming slept with Catherine…so I think they’ll be okay.

Emma’s argument is great. Very Emmaish…funny, yet sad at the same time.

• Patti says:

what is her argument? I figured foster care messed w her then ur parents being king and queen of fairytales would be a freak out/u feel inadequate moment

17. Jesse says:

So excited!!! Can’t wait to see the Charming family reunion and more of Belle & Gold together. I don’t want to wait until episode 5 to know who Dr. Whale is!

18. Blair says:

Chip? Chip!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see him

19. anakl says:

Through some of the photos I’ve seen, I can only guess that the OMG moment is Emma&Snow’s disappearance… because I only saw photos of Henry with Grandpa “James” at Mary Margaret’s place & others where Charming was helping the town members & there was no sign of Emma and Mamma Snow. So that could be it… the OMG moment, because while Regina seems powerless at first she will recover her powers & make The Charmings suffer once again

20. Charpa says:

So excited! (and loved the Friends reference!)

21. Deena says:

All the teasers have me very excited but the Lou Reed song has me completely baffled and intrigued! Well played Mr. Mitovich, well played. Sooooo looking forward to Sunday.

22. Sandy says:

I watched the pilot of ouat on Saturday and ended up watching the whole season by Tuesday, delighted I didn’t have to wait the whole summer to see what happens next :)

• I’m so jealous of you it actually hurts a little. Of course I didn’t start reading Harry Potter till book 4 came out so I’m not really in a position to complain. Although I did start watching LOST in it’s pilot so… I think I’ve suffered enough.

23. John DeMayo says:

Emma has good reason to dread a “family reunion”. She’s grown up thinking her parents “abandoned her on the side of the road”… and now it turns out that her parents are SNOW WHITE and PRINCE CHARMING?

My guess as to where the episode opens? In the hospital basement, with Sidney Glass. Hey, you said we’d be hard-pressed to guess, right? We wouldn’t think of Giancarlo Esposito even appearing, due to his new role on “Revolution”, right?

24. Christina Robinson says:

I have to say that I have truly enjoyed the first season of Once upon a time, I loved the twisted story lines as they unfolded and the characters that played them. I can hardly wait to see what happens now with the magic dust cloud settles. Will August come back to life? When snow finds out that Geppetto sent the boy through first will she be upset? Details, details…. lol

25. jakesorenson says:

love this show jefferson and august are my 2 favorite characters, maybe dr whale is the walrus from alice and wonderland

• wednesday says:

Mine too as you can tell from my post above! They have to save August and I hope we get Jefferson for more than 3 episodes. Question for you, has Jefferson know this whole time that Regina had Belle locked up? And how is Rumple going to handle that if that’s the case. He’ll ask Belle how she got out and she’ll tell him Jefferson released her. I wonder how that’s going to play out. I’d hate to be on Rumple’s bad side.

• Patti says:

I still want to know how jefferson knew belle&rumple. i can figure he spied that regina had her but how did he knew gold would want to kill regina about belle

26. onlyakb says:

that’s what I call, mean teases but good ones!! can’t wait!!

27. Patti says:

This has me even more excited for the premiere. “Grandpop” – I look forward to Charming and Henry bonding. I’m disappointed in snow and emma disappearing. We got them bonding in season one and now still nothing with emma and charming. Can’t wait for more Belle. Emilie de Ravin is a great actress. Love her as Belle.

28. anna says:

So…..nothing on August???? I need to know what’s going to happen to him!!!!!!

29. I love this show! Such fun.

30. becca says:

I want to know what happened to hansel and gretel and cinderella. At the end of hansel and gretel’s fairytale land flashback, they were walking in the woods, looking for their father. And at the end of cinderella’s fairytale land flashback, her prince disappeared because, “all magic comes with a price.”

31. becca says:

Somewhere i heard that in the first episode of season two, henry says to charming/david/james/john doe/josh dallas (^_^) “i guess you’re my grandpa,” i can’t wait to see it! Less than fourty eight hours left! Time do some major fangirling!

32. Didn’t get the Lou Reed reference but thanks for the rest of it! I especially loved the Friends reference. Could not stop laughing (that tends to happen to me with Friends). This just makes me ever more anxious and excited for tonight.

33. TVDIVA says:

I bought a season pass on ITUNES as I did for the first season. It is so nice to view the show without commercials. I love the free podcast on ITUNES, too.