Glee Exclusive: Cory Monteith on Finn's Return, 'Break-Up' Drama and Being Called a [Spoiler]

Get More: Exclusive, Interviews

Though next week’s big “Break-Up”-themed Glee marks the return of Cory Monteith as Finn, the former New Directions warbler has more pressing concerns than the ambiguous state of his relationship with Rachel. Like, for instance, the treatment we see him receiving when the episode briefly visits him at boot camp!

“I’ve never been called names like that before,” the actor tells TVLine with a smile. “‘Wormstool’ is the one that sticks out in my memory.”

VIDEO | Glee‘s Lea Michele on “Break-Up” Episode: “Get Your Tissues Out!”

Thankfully for Finn, the army detour is not only short-lived, but it leads him to head to New York to reevaluate his romance with Rachel. Monteith — who’s spent the last month flying back and forth to Philadelphia to shoot the indie film McCanick — was careful not to reveal the outcome of the couple’s deliberations. However, he did acknowledge that, for all involved, the hour was an emotional roller coaster.

Far less gut-wrenching to tape was a sequence that’ll air on Nov. 8 (the show’s comeback after its baseball-induced hiatus): Monteith covering Foreigner’s “Juke Box Hero” alongside Glee Project Season 2 champ Blake Jenner, who’ll recur as McKinley newbie Ryder Lynn.

“It was cool, because I felt like I was passing the torch in a sort of awesome way,” previews Monteith. “Ryder inadvertently auditions [for New Directions], and it turns into a fantasy in his head, which explodes into dancing girls, throngs of screaming women in the crowd, and he turns into the ‘Juke Box Hero.’ He’s on drums, and I’m on lead vocals. It’s epic.”

RELATED | Glee Exec Confirms: [Spoiler]‘s Story is Over

Now fully settled back in at the Fox hit, Monteith is finding the changes made in his absence invigorating. “There’s still a part of me that’s nostalgic for sure,” he admits. But “all of the possibilities are really exciting.”

Comments (361)

• Glee has been boring without Finn!! I can’t wait for his return!

Comment by Leanne – September 26, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care about the break-up. Rachel can screw donkey face, I just want to see Finn on my TV.

Comment by Deanna – September 26, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you want your characters happiness? Finn is only at his TRUE happiness with Rachel. Sorry for your troubles. To the left please.

Comment by Melissa – September 26, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Finn hasn’t seemed very happy at all during 3 seaons, even with Rachel, or at least I can’t tell between all thier arguing and multiple break-ups. still, I don’t have to like Rachel to be a Finn fan. the two are not exclusive. I tolerate Rachel.

Comment by Deanna – September 26, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Rachel has always been “all about me” even now, it’all about her, how lonly she is, boo hoo herself, but the fact that NO ONE has heard from Finn, not even his brother doesn’t even worry her, just how it affects her.

Comment by Deanna – September 26, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If you’ve been watching the same Glee that we have been watching for the past three seasons, you will have seen that Finn has been happiest when he was with Rachel, despite and inspite of Rachel’s ‘flaws’. He himself is not flawless, but both of them accepted each other for who they were. I believe that they truly love each other, so I hope that the storyline in season 4 explores how two people who are deeply in love are struggling to reconcile that love with their inner struggles to achieve their individual dreams and proving to themselves that they are good enough for the love of their life.

Comment by mariko – September 26, 2012 10:05 PM PDT
      • Hate to break it to you, but sometimes happiness isn’t realistic. I hate how you Finn fans are all stuck in a fantasy world. You seem to think that Finchel needs a ‘happily ever after’ after only 3 years of dating, and they were on-and-off the entire time. There are many high school graduates who are miserable after graduation, because they don’t know what they want to do with their lives. Glee needs to portray THAT person. Not a perfect happy camper who’s getting married to a girl, just because she makes him happy.

Comment by Ben – September 30, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn! Glee just got a whole hell of a lot better.

Comment by Tammy – September 26, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just realized that I haven’t missed Finn at all…

Comment by Beth – September 26, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, judging from these comments, people who agree with you are few and far between.

Comment by sv – September 27, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, I’m on a Glee fan forum where we engage in intellectual discussion, and a lot of us are actually team Brody. We’re smart enough to realize the difference between fantasy vs. reality, contracts vs. appearances, writing vs. portrayal, etc. A lot of the comments here are from shallow-minded fangirls who aren’t smart enough to REALLY take a genuine look at Finn’s faults, and then realize that maybe Rachel does need some space away from him.

Comment by Kamakana – October 1, 2012 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Did you just basically say “those of us who are smart prefer Brody”? Because if that’s not what you meant, it sure reads that way.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough about Brody to know the character as much more than a plot device; he’s blank enough that I suppose you can project whatever you want onto him. But I cannot prefer someone who encourages Rachel to change who she is almost as soon as he meets her. Sure, Finn is flawed, but he accepts Rachel as herself, not some different person he wants her to be instead.

Great to see Cory back, the boost in acting quality was noticeable.

Comment by HLine – October 1, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He just looked like a sex-crazed 30-year-old knocking on a college girl’s door.

Comment by Manda – October 1, 2012 03:19 PM PDT
          • You seem to base your support of Finn on fact, which I support and encourage. Don’t get me wrong. There are a lot of obnoxious Brody lovers just because he’s hot, so the argument is representative on both sides.

However, Brody did not encourage Rachel to change for stupid reasons. He liked her for who she was right off the bat, because they had a lot in common in the first minute they met. It wasn’t a change in the sense that “I”ll go out with you if you change your look.” It was more about “You’re in a new school, you’re in a new city, you should reflect yourself in a new look.” I think that’s really cool. You shouldn’t go to college dragging your past with you. You should explore the new ‘you.’

Comment by Ben – October 1, 2012 10:45 PM PDT
        • Is that the Glee fan forum thread where some of the Brody shipper are the former Rachel/Jesse shippers and Rachel/Puck shippers and the Rachel/Rachel/Lea Michele shippers? No? Then, please lead me to a Glee forum where there is some “intellectual discussion” because I really would like to visit a place like that.

Comment by Mandie – October 2, 2012 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • there is no such place. the thread on Glee forum is a wasteland of “anyone-but-finn” shippers, who are trying desparatly to make Dean/Brody look like anything but a dud. blabbing to anyone who will listen about how Brody is totally not creepy at all.

Comment by Deanna – October 2, 2012 08:09 AM PDT
          • There are shippers of every variety. Your example totally demonstrates the obnoxious rate of people who watch the show for shipping purposes only.

gleeforum.com

Comment by Kamakana – October 2, 2012 08:55 PM PDT
  • I’m glad that Finn will be back on my TV screen, as I’ve missed seeing him. I hope Finn has a tolerable individual storyline (I’ve given up on hoping for an amazing or really good SL because of the history of how Finn’s story has been written). I hope Rachel’s individual SL is tolerable also. I am fervently hoping for a Finchel reunion with Finn and Rachel’s individual journies also part of Finchel’s journey and I beg & plead that the writers don’t ret-con their history together or make them totally different people in the process.

Comment by Jet – September 26, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh how I have missed you Cory Monteith! It will be so nice to have Finn return. Glee was definitely missing its heart these past episodes! Much as I love Lea Michele, I realized these past two episodes her character alone, is not enough to keep watching. And while Hummelberry is very sweet, it’s will get tired very quickly.

Comment by Cory Monteith Keeps Me Coming Back to Glee – September 26, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn’s back and I’m finally excited to watch Glee again! Can’t wait for some amazing acting and for Finn to get some screen time again. Looking forward to Finchel, too!

Comment by Anne – September 26, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINN IS BACK! OMG MY BABY! MY LIFE IS COMPLETE! WELCOME BACK FINN AND CORY!!!!

Comment by Lisa – September 26, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sucks that after we have Finn back we have to wait one month to see him again (damn hiatus). But I’m happy he is back and looking forward anxiously to FInchel get back together. They are the most amazing couple on the show. I hope this happen ASAP!

Comment by Lore – September 26, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of these comments. Finchel fans are hard pressed…

Comment by Amanda – September 26, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Finn and of course I love Cory and I love that the Finchel fans are out in full force. keep commenting your love for the pair to shut up all the people who say “nobody likes Finchel”. Back to Cory, I am so happy he has been able to dabble in outside projects and I hope that continues, but I am giddy he will be back on my TV weekly!!

Comment by Pam – September 26, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first time since the start of Glee season 4 that I actually got excited. Cory Monteith is one of the best actors on Glee; his character is one of the core members. People around the world has voiced their thoughts, and we say WE WANT FINN HUDSON! WE WANT FINN HUDSON!!!

Comment by Summer – September 26, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally some news on Finn’s storyline. I hope he and Rachel can work out their relationship. Meanwhile, it’s nice to see Finn helping at McKinley, but I hope he is headed to NY. Also looking forward to his song with Ryder. The only thing about that scene that would be better is if it were Cory/Finn on the drums. TeamFinn and FinchelForever!

Comment by Nancy – September 26, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Finn’s storyline this season he has been sorely missed! The new characters are good but I really miss the presence of some of the grad this season like Finn and Santana.

Comment by Edie – September 26, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee is down one extremely good actor with Cory Montieth not in the lineup and they cannot afford it considering what is left. Cory, Lea and Chris are the best Glee offers and the longer they keep one of that trifecta out of the running, the show is that much weaker for it. Finn’s absence has definitely been felt and I’m glad he’s coming back, because right now it feels like a show without a lead male character and no one else has been able to fill that hole. Most of all, I miss my Finchel – more Michele/Monteith, less Michele/Model (who can’t act).

Comment by Pen – September 26, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it is always a joy to read Cory interviews; he is always well-spoken. His presence back on screen cannot come too soon; he has been missed, greatly. Look forward to welcoming Finn Hudson; Glee is not the same withoout him.

Comment by Nerlie – September 26, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now that Finn is back, Glee can officially start for me. can’t wait to see the journey of Finn and Rachel back to each other and towards their individual dreams. it will be a rollercoaster ride, and excited to see Cory and Lea bring life to Finn and Rachel stories on screen. They are two of the best in Glee and they never disappoint. Let the Glee ride begin.

Comment by samuel – September 26, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cory is such a lovely, adorable guy. I think the world of him.

Comment by Ella – September 26, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Finally good news, Finn being back will save what’s left of this show

Comment by carter180 – September 26, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally Finn is back!!!

Comment by j – September 27, 2012 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness he is back soon. Reason to finally watch the new season. Such madness not to feature him!

Comment by sarah – September 27, 2012 02:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yey! now I want my finchel back together and in NY!

Comment by Nic – September 27, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Cory will be back as Finn. I just don’t like the idea of breaking up Rachel and Finn permanently. Next week’s episode, The Break Up, is going to be an emotional one for me. I am still hopeful that Rachel and Finn, and Kurt and Blaine, will end up together eventually.

Comment by Kay – September 27, 2012 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!!! I missed Finn so much and Cory is such a good actor. Glee wasn’t the same without him, I’m so excited to watch how his story will develop!

Comment by Noi – September 27, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see this news this morinng. I love Cory and think the show just wasn’t the same without him and hope to see a great storyline for him. I hate what they are going to do to Finn/Rachel, but as long as they both have good individual stories then I can stick around. If they throw either into new relationships I might tune out until that is done.

Comment by Patti – September 27, 2012 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • did anybody else noticed the author called Finn a Warbler…………..first damn sentence, not a true fan of the show obviously. Somebody gave him the wrong facts.

Comment by Bradley – September 27, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, a warbler is actually a BIRD, and is used synonymously with “singer” so the author is right. Dalton aren’t the original ~Warblers.

Comment by um – September 27, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s more than one kind of songbird: he’s less of a warbler than a finch. Or possibly in future a Paramythia montium.

Comment by HLine – October 1, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve missed Finn so so so much ! So happeh he’s back ! Finchel forever !

Comment by Marina – September 27, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CORY. Oh how I’ve missed him/Finn.

Comment by Finchel.is.Forever – September 27, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good stuff. Someone posted that Dean is leaving Glee.
    I can’t wait. That boy is arrogant, a moderate actor and not a brilliant singer.
    Cory is not the best singer in the world either, but at least he’s humble and sincere!
    His singing has improved so much that I can not wait to hear him sing again.
    Welcome back Finn and bye bye Brody.

Comment by Joris – September 27, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s not leaving. He’s taking a break. Just like every other recurring character. Recurring characters are never promised a whole season. That’s why we have random absences with Joe, Unique, Sugar, Marley, Jake, and Kitty. Because their contracts only promise them a certain amount of episodes. Personally, I think Brody’s fine with just 12-14 episodes.

Comment by Ben – September 30, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmmmm…..personally, I have never
      noticed Cory being humble….Finn, yes…but not Cory.

Comment by rian – September 30, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you know nothing about Cory at then do you. LOL rian you tried. you failed , but you tried.

Comment by Deanna – October 2, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I think Finn deserves better than Rachel. He is such a great guy, and if she really still loved him, she would NOT have made-out with Brody.

Comment by Maddy – September 28, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I agree, I agree, I agree.

Comment by AnOfficialGleek – September 28, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t agree more. I’ve really started to dislike Rachel in these last episodes and surely hope Finn doesn’t go back begging at her door. She doesn’t deserve him anymore. Looking forward to see Finn growing up and finding his right place in the world. Also looking froward to see the old loved Rachel Berry, not this new madeover fake character that doesn’t make sense.

Comment by Lisa – September 30, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Klaine and Brittana to stick together.

Comment by Maddy – September 28, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINN’S BACK YAY!! It’s not glee without him :)

Comment by Ginny – September 30, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So now I can finally start watching Glee.

Comment by Kary – September 30, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Corey back on Glee. However, I had a difficult time with the sudden changes in Rachel last week. I don’t mind the changes, they just came together too quickly. She acted so different. I missed the Rachel I know and love.

Comment by D. – September 30, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • enough about rachel and finn.. what about puck? bring me more puck!!

Comment by brandi – September 30, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • aww, I miss Puck too. can we swap Brody for him?

Comment by Deanna – October 2, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does it former New Directions warbler? Finn was never a warbler that was Blaine and Kurt at one point

Comment by beth greys – September 30, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think logistically Finn can just pick up and leave the Army… There are six weeks of boot camp in which you can’t talk to anyone at all, which if he left at the beginning of the summer, and school started with at least that much time in between, that would make sense why Rachel was whining about him not calling. My thought is that you’re stuck for at least four years unless the Army says otherwise. At least that’s how it works with the Marine Corps… I just hope that they give a real reason for him leaving.

Comment by Alee – September 30, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. Couldn’t care less. Tell me when Quinn’s going to make good on her promise to visit Rachel in New York. Then I’ll be interested.

Comment by SmiaVS – September 30, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Someone who realizes that Finn’s not the only 2012 graduate who’s been absent from the show. These people are all very lucky that Finn will be in at least 14 episodes this year. Us Quinn/Mercedes/Puck/Mike fans will be seeing our favorite characters maybe 7 times this year.

Comment by Ben – September 30, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope finn go away! Brody<3Rachel forever <3

Comment by Päivi – September 30, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry to burst your bubble, but Cory is here to stay, he is a regular, Dean is just a guest star and the worst one to date.

Welcome back Cory, you are sadly missed on Glee.

Comment by Jo – September 30, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry to burst YOUR bubble, but Dean/Brody is a recurring character, which means he’ll be here for majority of the episodes, just like Marley/Jake/Kitty.

Comment by Kamakana – October 1, 2012 01:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • sorry to burst your bubble, Brody is a dud in both acting and singing, and he’s likely on the short list to adiosville. sooner rather than later.

Comment by Deanna – October 2, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Again, you’re speaking in a matter of opinion. If you’re going to state stuff like this, provide examples. Again what I mean by intellectual discussion. It’s people like you who give Finn lovers a bad reputation for being shallow-minded and love-obsessed.

Comment by Kamakana – October 2, 2012 08:58 PM PDT
  • Glee is much better without him. He does not sing or dance well. He looks like Frankenstein when he tries to dance. Go back to the army…..

Comment by Cain – September 30, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like Finn, but I disagree with you. xD He’s a great singer, and at least he’s brave enough to attempt dance.

Comment by Ben – September 30, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No me parece que hayan hecho que Rachel monte la misma escena que cuando tuvo una cita con Finn… el de comer en el suelo y darse un beso,,, me parecio que Rachel en realidad no ama a Finn o lo olvido tan rapido porque creo que estaba dispuesta a seguir con Brody si Finn no llega en ese momento… ojala y los escritores tengan un buen final para esta pareja ya que son los protagonistas y es logico q queden juntos ya han tenido demasiados obstaculos y creo que la audiencia ya quiere verlos felices triunfando… ojala y tengan un buen final para Finny Rachel, Juntos sea en NY o en Lima… porque sin ellos juntos enuna relacion Glee no es lo mismo…. ira decayendo en audiencia…

Comment by Vero – September 30, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go away, Cory ‘-’ such a bad actor and singer

Comment by Corey – September 30, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Might not be the best singer, but he is a damn good actor. One of the best glee has. Just look at the last scene of last week’s episode, without talking and in just 10 seconds he was able to express so many emotions just with his eyes. that’s what i call a good actor.

Comment by Lisa – September 30, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed that Finn fans are represented by a bunch of obnoxious and shallow fangirls. Why does no one appreciate the original intent of the show anymore? Why is it all about #Finchel now? Why is it not about helping high school kids to survive through the hell we have to live through everyday? Glee doesn’t need Finn. The Glee Club (the true main character) doesn’t need him. Rachel (the evolved main character) doesn’t need him. It’s all you fans who are creating all of this ridiculous drama about a character who you went TWO WEEKS without.

I come on here expecting to have a good laugh because of Cory’s interview. And yet, I still see all of you obnoxious fangirls spamming up the article, with little to no crucial reasoning whatsoever. You guys are too immature and shallow to realize that Finn is the most immature person on this show. And if you do realize that, then you’re letting your fangirl hearts get in the way of making intelligence-based decisions on your favorite character.

Obviously, we all have our opinions. But can we all try a little harder to base our opinions based on how this character contributes to realism and plot? It’s very realistic for Finn to stay in Lima. But as for the plot, he’s easily replaceable.

Comment by Ben – September 30, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve seen five of your posts and they’re all whiny and bratty. If you don’t like Finn, GET OFF HIS ARTICLE. Go like…whatever it is you like. Unless the only thing you like is to whine about Finn…and from what I’ve seen that’s definitely a possibility.

Comment by amber (@amberissmiling) – September 30, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He has a point, though. :/ I didn’t realize how obnoxious people could be, but I definitely see that with all the comments here.

Comment by Kamakana – October 1, 2012 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And you’re a fan of…let me guess: Brochel, Faberry or something other than Finchel, right?

Comment by amber (@amberissmiling) – October 2, 2012 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You’re quick to assume I’m a shipper. This is why the Glee fandom sucks. You all think this show is about shipping. Why is it not about underdogs anymore?

And to answer your question, yes, I’m totally for Brochel, Faberry, Klaine, Brittana. But none trumps Tike, the only consistent and non-dramatic relationship ever. And I did used to like Finchel, until he busted out that ring in Yes/No. That idiot.

Comment by Kamakana – October 2, 2012 09:00 PM PDT
          • @Kamakana I’ve noticed that the ones that are “sick of Finn” are also the ones that just happen to ship Rachel with someone else.
            You’re FOR Faberry and Brochel. No wonder Finn coming back doesn’t make you happy. It means there’s no hope for either of your ships. If you don’t like his character, the obvious choice is to go to his articles. -_-

Comment by amber (@amberissmiling) – October 3, 2012 05:18 PM PDT
          • OMFG you don’t get it, do you? I don’t watch the show for ships, like I’ve said above. I couldn’t care less who breaks up or who gets together. Finn coming back has nothing to do with it. Yeah, I’m SOOOO scared that he’s going to break up my Faberry and Brochel! Waaaah! I’m going to quit Glee if they break up! I said I “like” the ships. I’m not freakishly obsessed over them like others in this article. I watch Glee because I’m a mega loser in school and Glee makes me feel like I still have a shot at life; something that you clearly don’t understand. Glee’s underdogs so far have consisted of a fat girl, a selfish girl who no one likes, jocks who are harassed for breaking the status quo, a girl who got pregnant, a gay, a lesbian, a wheelchair kid, a shy loner, the daughter of the lunch lady, the poor guy, the brothers whose dad doesn’t give a rip about them, the girl who was sent to a crack house, the girl with Downs Syndrome, etc. That type of underdog/minority status is what Glee strives to influence to give hope, not pleasing you people who only watch the show to ship. Do you not notice that Glee’s symbol is the “L-for-Loser” sign? I came to this article personally because I wanted to read what Cory had to say. I love Cory; just not Finn’s personality at the current moment. I do a news search on all things Glee because it means so much to me. I don’t just read about my favorite characters.

So you have fun watching your dramatic love show tonight. I’ll be tuning in to “Glee: A biting comedy for the underdog in all of us.”

Comment by Kamakana – October 4, 2012 07:31 PM PDT
      • Sorry if I come off whiny and bratty, but have you noticed that I, unlike the rest of you, have been basing my arguments on FACT and opinion, rather than just opinion? “Glee is nothing without Finn!” That’s a matter of opinion, because actually, Finn doesn’t contribute much other than being a love interest and a main character. “Finn is an immature person who thought that marrying a girl who he’s known for only three years, and was on-and-off with the entire time, was the only solution to a happy life.” That’s based on fact. If you Finn lovers argued on the basis of intellectual evidence as well as a mix of personal real life experiences and witnessed points from the show, then maybe you wouldn’t all come off as shallow-minded fangirls who are obsessed with a mere TV character.

So do me a favor. When I’m commenting on a Brody article, tossing in my support of a mature, caring, charismatic character, please argue with facts, and not a stupid “Brody SUCKS! Finn FOREVER!”

Comment by Ben – October 1, 2012 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Honey, “commenting” is posting your opinion!! No one comes on an article like this to post a bunch of facts. What is this I don’t even. People are happy Finn is back. They’re happy to see Cory again. They love Finchel. SO WHAT? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. You’re calling them obnoxious because their opinion is different from yours?

I’m not going to see your comments on a Brody article because I don’t care enough about that character to read one. I came to this article because I love Finn. I commented on this article because I love Finn. Brody has been around for three episodes, has done nothing but call Rachel sexy and say that he’s going to respect her boundaries and then kiss her. There’s no maturity there, no being a “good guy.” Cassandra July said “especially young ingenues” when talking to Brody about his willingness to help Rachel and you didn’t think that was a little creepy? He’s been on the show for three episodes. Finn has been around for three SEASONS. Cory AND Finn deserve any and all time given to them. Brody? Not so much.

If you have an agenda against Finn (and you obviously do), a Finn article full of Finn supporters is probably not the best place for you.

Comment by amber (@amberissmiling) – October 2, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Sweetie, who said that opinions can’t be backed up? :]

Since you think I’m being obnoxious, I’ll comment with my opinion backed up by facts. Rachel chose Brody, because they have a lot in common, because he said he’d respect her boundaries ( though yes, he tried to make a move), and because he’s mature enough to realize that she still has feelings for Finn.

And agenda against Finn? Oh, I definitely feel like I should have an agenda against the obnoxious Finn supporters. You definitely delve into content before stating your opinion, which is admirable and something I encourage. It’s great if you support Finn for the reasons you’ve stated. But it’s not okay to support him just because you think Glee’s about shipping. And just because Cory’s a fantastic actor doesn’t negate Finn’s idiotic and foolish history.

Oh, and by the way, even if I have no interest in characters, I still read their articles. You know why? Because I live this show. The show represents everything that I am, it represents the true Gleeks who have profited from the message of the show, and people who demonstrate the example of underdogs rising up out of the ashes. That’s what Glee should be about; the power of the Glee club on struggling teens. That’s what it used to be about. Instead it’s evolved to be about several over-dramatic pairings with an unhealthy emphasis on the importance of being in a relationship in high school.

Comment by Ben – October 2, 2012 09:09 PM PDT
          • Surprisingly, I can’t reply to your post, Ben. Rachel didn’t really have much of a choice in “choosing” Brody. He comes to her house, follows her at school, is just ALWAYS there. They’ve done nothing but sing a couple of songs and dance together. He most definitely DIDN’T respect her boundaries or the fact that she had a boyfriend.
            If you’d paid attention, you’d know that while I like Finchel, I don’t care if they’re together or not so long as FINN is happy. I’m not the one making a case for a ship here, darlin’; that’s you. If it’s not about shipping, jump off Brody’s jock strap for about a minute and pay attention.

Comment by amber (@amberissmiling) – October 3, 2012 05:22 PM PDT
          • I couldn’t reply to your other post, but the whole “I don’t care if they’re together so long as Finn is happy.” Sadness, anger, drama, and struggles are a part of life. I like Tina and Kurt, but I don’t mind Tina being forced into the background and having her voice silenced, or Kurt being shoved into lockers. You know why? Glee’s about the struggle and the comeback. If you don’t realize that, then you definitely don’t get the power of the show. To thousands of viewers, Glee is a chance for inspiration, and not just cheap Thursday night entertainment. I’ll assume you probably had an easy time through high school and life in general, making you ignore the meaning of “underdog” and “minority” that Glee was supposed to heroically portray. Or maybe not, and you just relate better to relationship aspects of the show. This isn’t some cheap Disney show where every plot ends with a happy ever after. Struggle is a part of life, which is something Glee does a great job in portraying.

And again, Glee is not about shipping. They do a ridiculous amount of pairings and love dramas, but it’s your choice to make a big deal about being interested in a couple to the point that if they break up, you’re going to turn off Glee for good, bash Ryan Murphy’s twitter, and sulk around how your ship has sunk. While I ship characters, I don’t get myself obsessed with them. I like pretty much every pairing that happens, but I don’t care what happens to them. Why? Because this is a show about life. Breakups happen, new relationships happen.

I know I’m being defensive, but you clearly profess the same type of moral obligation to defend what you love; same as me. I liked Finn. I really did, until the proposal and the way he handled his “middle of nowhere” stance in post-high school life. The only reason I like Brody so far is that he doesn’t seem like the guy who will make those mistakes. I’m not saying he’s perfect and that we know him so well after these three weeks, but he just shows more maturity than Finn has in the past 12 months, particularly because Brody at least has his mind on a career, while Finn refused to open his eyes to any last year, except for acting and military. I’m interested in watching Finn getting his eyes set on a career this season, since that seems long overdue.

And yes, Brody does follow her around and go to her house, but when SHE invited him to her house for dinner, he said “I’m hands off. Just friends.” She made the move.

Comment by Ben – October 4, 2012 07:15 PM PDT
    • Ben, I’m glad to see Brody fans are represented by you, someone who thinks he’s a skillfully drawn subtle character with depth and characterization, and not all the other hoards of fangirls on twitter and tumbr who were shouting OMG The new guy is so hottt, did you see his abs!!!!

Comment by Mike – October 2, 2012 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • skillfully drawn subtle character with depth and characterization,…OMG BRODY? you are kidding right? PLEASE tell me this is a joke.

Comment by Tess – October 2, 2012 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I’m also disappointed that Brody fans are represented by another group of fangirls drooling over his abs. I don’t think he’s skillfully drawn and subtle. I think there’s more to discover, surely. But in only three episodes, he’s demonstrated a level of maturity and a level-headed mindset that Finn didn’t have in Season 3.

Comment by Ben – October 2, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hallelujah! I’ve been waiting (not so patiently) for Finn to come back and he’s finally here. I don’t care if he’s in Lima (so long as he’s happy), in NYC (so long as he’s happy), with Rachel (so long as he’s happy), without Rachel (so long as he’s happy)…I just want him back!! Finally, Glee will seem like Glee again. :)

Comment by amber (@amberissmiling) – September 30, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cory we miss you on Glee!!!!! And Blake we can’t wait to see you on Glee.

Comment by Pollyann Burt – September 30, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cory you are my favorite actor on the show. I hope the writers give Finn a great storyline this season.

Comment by Nancy – September 30, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Rachel was making out with Brody right before he came.

Comment by Camille Bautista – September 30, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to like Finn, but I thought he was heavily overused in season three and found myself kinda groaning when he came on screen. Too sainted, imho. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope the writers bring him back more skillfully in this season.

Comment by rian – September 30, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn sucks and so does Finchel.

Comment by jenny – September 30, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like Finn has promise. He always has. I just hope he really matures this season.

As for Rachel, I really hope they continue her ‘underdog’ status as a college student. Rachel’s the only college student on this show who’s in 22 episodes, and I want to be able to relate to her storyline when I’m in college next year.

Comment by Ben – October 1, 2012 01:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post