Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Cory Monteith on Finn's Return, 'Break-Up' Drama and Being Called a [Spoiler]

Though next week’s big “Break-Up”-themed Glee marks the return of Cory Monteith as Finn, the former New Directions warbler has more pressing concerns than the ambiguous state of his relationship with Rachel. Like, for instance, the treatment we see him receiving when the episode briefly visits him at boot camp!

“I’ve never been called names like that before,” the actor tells TVLine with a smile. “‘Wormstool’ is the one that sticks out in my memory.”

VIDEO | Glee‘s Lea Michele on “Break-Up” Episode: “Get Your Tissues Out!”

Thankfully for Finn, the army detour is not only short-lived, but it leads him to head to New York to reevaluate his romance with Rachel. Monteith — who’s spent the last month flying back and forth to Philadelphia to shoot the indie film McCanick — was careful not to reveal the outcome of the couple’s deliberations. However, he did acknowledge that, for all involved, the hour was an emotional roller coaster.

Far less gut-wrenching to tape was a sequence that’ll air on Nov. 8 (the show’s comeback after its baseball-induced hiatus): Monteith covering Foreigner’s “Juke Box Hero” alongside Glee Project Season 2 champ Blake Jenner, who’ll recur as McKinley newbie Ryder Lynn.

“It was cool, because I felt like I was passing the torch in a sort of awesome way,” previews Monteith. “Ryder inadvertently auditions [for New Directions], and it turns into a fantasy in his head, which explodes into dancing girls, throngs of screaming women in the crowd, and he turns into the ‘Juke Box Hero.’ He’s on drums, and I’m on lead vocals. It’s epic.”

RELATED | Glee Exec Confirms: [Spoiler]’s Story is Over

Now fully settled back in at the Fox hit, Monteith is finding the changes made in his absence invigorating. “There’s still a part of me that’s nostalgic for sure,” he admits. But “all of the possibilities are really exciting.”

1. Ana says:

FINN IS BACK! YEAH, BITCHES!!!!! \o/

2. Bea says:

Can not wait for Finn to return. Those two haters can move to the left! Finchelforever.

3. Amy says:

I have missed Finn very much so far this season. I truly enjoy his character and seeing Cory Monteith acting in that role. Finn is an integral part of Glee for me…He has a sense of human-ness that other characters lack. His struggle to find himself, a sense of duty for his father and respect for his mother, his leadership skills and his love and support of Kurt and Rachel are true standouts for me. I have loved his character and seeing him throughout the seasons, mostly due to Cory’s stellar acting (especially with some more of the more questionable writing and plotlines). I have been not impressed this season thus far; I miss the choir room and the beloved characters from the past three seasons mingling there. I do like Rachel and Kurt in NY, but I miss Finn and especially Finchel. Even though it sounds as if episode 4 is going to be painful to watch, I am most excited to see Finn and Rachel interacting again.

4. Kiki says:

Sick of the finchel comments, HOW ABOUT WE JUST SUPPORT CORY AND FINN and leave couples out of this. Love him and Glee is flavorless without him.

• TL says:

We can support Finchel and Finn/Cory calm down there, Kiki.

• finchel stan 4 life says:

yah kiki…relax.

• K says:

I agree Kiki. I could care less about Finchel. In fact, I’ve really enjoyed the new season so far because I haven’t had to sit through Finn and Rachel’s endless drama. It’s been refreshing. I’m interested to see where Finn’s character is headed, but I have absolutely no desire to see him with Rachel again. I’m also really enjoying Rachel’s scenes with Brody. They have fantastic chemistry and I look forward to each of their scenes. I hope Finn meets someone in the military and he can have a fresh start as well.

• nanni says:

LOL dean has no chemistry with anything..he’s a block of wood.

• Glee Fan says:

Of course, you don’t want to see Finn with Rachel because you have a shipper agenda; why am i not surprised. Well, we also have our own preference and that is seeing Finn with Rachel, and Finn and Rachel achieving their dreams. And sorry to burst your bubble, but Finn and Rachel’s chemistry is one of a kind; that’s all. Finchel forever.

5. Dee says:

FINN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Can’t wait :)

6. Siren says:

Finn, Finn and more Finn.. Yeah, Finally!!!!
    Cory, we miss you sooooo much.
    Can´t wait to see you and hear your voice again in Glee.
    Finchel Forever

7. Tina says:

So glad Cory/Finn is back. It would be great to have him with Santana in NYC with Kurt. And Rachel. Comic gold.

8. Adam says:

YES! Cory is coming back! Why did we have to wait this long? So teens can fall in love with Brody’s body. No way! Dean cannot replace Cory!! Cory is such a talented guy! Love him! He is the sweetest man. Even when people hate on him, he is still a nice guy! Learn from him Dean! Cory/ Finn forever!

9. Hope says:

SO happy Finn’s back! There was a huge hole without him and Finchel. I’m sure there is Finchel drama ahead, but I need Cory back on my screen!

10. Kaitlyn says:

So happy Finn is back!!! Finchelforever!!!!!

11. Lia says:

YAY CORY IS BACK WOOHOOO!!!! :D So happy! I miss seeing Finn on my screen, and of course we know Rachel misses him even more XD Nervous and sad about what’s going down in episode 4 but I guess the sooner it’s over, the sooner we can move towards seeing them back together :D I hope Cory’s return can bring back my enthusiasm for Glee, as it’s been sadly waning this season..

12. Linsey says:

This is, by far, the best and most exciting news I’ve heard about season four so far. FINN IS BACK!!! Blake finally gets to work with the actor he most admires on that show!!! FINN AND RYDER DUET!!!! I love that these kids are going to look up to Finn and I’m looking forward to seeing Cory have scenes with the new kids and maybe some old ones he hasn’t had too many scenes with in the past. Here’s hoping this stay in Lima isn’t a permanent one. Just one that helps get him back on his feet and helps him realize his dream!

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE MY FAVORITE BACK ON MY SCREEN AGAIN! GLEE WILL FINALLY BE WORTH WATCHING!

13. Dan says:

Mr Ausiello, Are you sure you got the song lead the right way round? Wouldn’t Finn be on drums and with the scenario Cory gave, it would be Ryder on lead vocal? I don’t want to get my hopes up!

14. Kate says:

Thank goodness Finn is back! Glee just isn’t at all the same without him (or Cory, for that matter). Really, the show just feels so empty without Finn’s character. The past two weeks have truly been devoid of what makes Glee, well, *Glee* – the underdog in everybody. Sure, Rachel is back to being a true underdog, but even her storyline is taking some odd (and quite out of character, in my opinion) twists. Hopefully with Cory/Finn back, the show will start to feel like Glee again. I miss it and I want it back. =/
    Plus: finchel is forever.

15. So so excited for the return of Finn. Glee has not been the same without him, I’ve missed him!!!! Welcome back Cory :)

16. missysabrina says:

I am so happy that Finn is coming back! He (as played by Cory Monteith) is without a doubt my favorite character on Glee. And I ‘m not a teenager, I’m 65 years old.
    Finchel forever!!

17. Fan says:

Finn is back! This show hasn’t been the same without him.

18. Hey says:

So many happy Finn fans here like me!!!! Wooohoooh Finn Hudson is back on Glee, guys!!!

19. miranda says:

I like Cory, but Finn is one of the worst characters on the show. I do not care if he comes back. Especially since his storyline will be very predictable with Glee trying to shove that false “he’s a hero” crap. No thank you.

• Gregory says:

how is Finn the worst character on Glee; is he worse than the other characters who have been bullies all along and who have made the lives of the underdogs including Finn, miserable? At least for every mistake he makes unintentionally, Finn tries to make things right the best he can. Can we say that for the others (not mentioning names)?

20. Jason says:

I will add one more…..YAY FOR THE RETURN OF FINN!!!!!!!!!! Also, I love Finn and Rachel so sorry if I am by extension happy for his return because he is half my favorite pair! I know this doesn’t mean happy Finchel is on its way but who cares as long as we still get quality scenes from Lea and Cory!!

21. Gabe says:

Is it fine that I am just happy that good acting will be back? Lea and Chris need someone else to act opposite other than each other and really no offence to Dean but he just isn’t it. So I am thrilled that Cory is back for that simple reason.

• LTM says:

It’s not bad at all! Cory’s performance is definitely being missed! Good. Acting. Absolutely part of the Cory Monteith package!

22. Anabel says:

Finn is the best character; sweet, genuine, interesting. Yes, he makes mistakes and so does everyone. He admits and apologizes and truly tries to be a better person.
    Can’t wait! Cory is the soul of the show; such a professional and a true sweetheart. LOVE finn! Love cory! Love finchel!

23. linnea says:

these finchelforever quotes are so annoying. i hope cory will get to do more individual stuff because he is a really good actor but finn and rachel are insufferable and he deserves a better storyline. go get those movie roles monteith!

• Leyla says:

I beg to disagree; we like Finn and Rachel together; they are adorable and they make each other happy. Of course, they deserve individual storylines, and they also deserve a happy ending for all the drama and angst they have to go through fighting for their love. Finchel Forever

• Ben says:

Ugh, quit it with the whole happy happy joy joy scenario. Finchel does need a happy ending (and that’s coming from a person who doesn’t like Finn’s immaturity) but not until they’re at least 21 and Rachel is close to graduating NYADA. And that’s not until Season 6 at the EARLIEST.

• nosi says:

the first person that quotes finchelforever was cory himself tho

24. Lily says:

yayy!! i can finally be excited to watch episodes again. i seriously felt so let down and bored after every episode so far. plus blake and cory together is going to be amazing, i cannot wait, and hopefully well see finchel reunited soon. glee isnt glee without them together at some point.

25. ggny says:

You know as someone that was not the biggest Finn fan. I got to say the show without him just isnt the same

26. Larissa says:

Finn is back!!! Cory’s talent (and voice) was missed in Glee!! I hope his stay in McKingley is very very short and he finds his way to NY very soon! He belong with Rachel!!! Finchel is Forever!!

27. Claire says:

Cory’s a class act, and a great actor. Looking forward to him bringing some more high quality scenes to my TV screen. Glad he’ll have some stuff with Blake Jenner. Hope to see him in a lot of scenes with Lea, regardless of how the proceed with the Rachel & Finn story, and with Chris, and hopefully Mike and Romy too, this year. #GreatActorsActingTogetherForTheEverlastingWin

28. sam says:

You are a class act Cory making you shoot yourself to get out of the army is a coward thing to do making you show up in new york as a giant douche bag is a cheat for the finchel story line and slamming you in public in print ryan murphy class act you are the best underdog on glee becuase ryan murphy hates your guts. Cannot believe you are stuck in lima what a joke.

• CoryIsNotFinn says:

Are you speaking to Cory or Finn? Cory is the ACTOR who plays Finn, who is fictional. Just wanted to clear that up. You seem confused.

• Daniel says:

Cory is not Finn, if you have not realized it yet; so whatever Finn does on screen is due to the story that the writers write for him. Cory only acts out the role and breathes life into the character. If you don’t like Finn, that’s should not translate to not liking Cory. You should direct your anger to the writers for not liking what they do to the Finn character.

29. noro says:

i won’t be watching glee no more though i’m a big fan of cory/lea & finchel i refuse to watch finchel break up & refuse to watch them with other love interests finchel 4 eva

30. Lainey says:

Finn back on my TV means I can start watching the show again! I hope they give him a good storyline this year and I hope that does include Finn finding his way back to Rachel. I am fine with waiting for a reunion as long as their individual stories are good. Third party interestes should only be brought in if it helps Rachel and Finn solidify even more they want only each other. I just hope they get some one for Cory with better acting skills than they did for Lea with Dean.

31. Erin says:

Yay!!! I didn’t realize how big a part Finn was for me until these last two episodes…I missed him :-( but he shall b back and I’m pumped!

32. Mandy says:

Michael, I want to hugh you!! FINALLY someone tells us something about Finn!! This is the best interview to come out of this season yet! I. Can. Not. Wait. to see Finn Hudson back on the canvas! Cory Monteith is such a phenomenal actor and it is thrilling to get some news about his story! Glee will officially begin for me when I see him again! I hope he and Rachel find their way through the obstacles and come out stronger and more in love than ever! Welcome home, Finn!!

33. Denise says:

Cory is back! finn is back! OMG MY LIFE IS MADE!! I LOVE HIM SOO MUCH! THANK GOD! GLEE IS NOT GLEE WITHOUT HIM

34. Gracie says:

Finn Hudson is back! He is back! FinchelForever

35. Cheesus says:

Super excited that Finn is back!!! He’s glee’s super glue. Even if Rachel and Finn don’t get back together right away I love their chemistry.

36. Lee says:

FINN FINN FINN FINN FINN…team finn for life

37. Lisa says:

Cory Monteith is the best actor hands down; very underrated but the best! love him and love Finn hudson! finally glee will be glee again! best article so far

38. Nancy says:

Yes! I cannot wait to see Cory back on my TV screen. Finn was sorely missed in the first couple of episodes. The show just didn’t feel the same to me without him. I am not looking forward to a potential Finchel breakup. If they must be apart for a while, I hope the writers do not give Rachel or Finn other love interests. They’ve already done tiresome love triangles. Let them each grow as individuals so that they can reunite as a mature couple.

39. Eileen says:

So glad to finally see a story on Finn. I hope you got a few more details you aren’t sharing yet and hope Cory gets some great material to work with. I also hope Finn gets to NY sooner rather than later because the acting dynamic of Cory, Lea, Chris, and hopefully Naya will be unstoppable!!

40. Trish says:

Cory singing Foreigner? THANK YOU RYAN!

41. LTM says:

Michael, this is simply fabulous! I have missed Finn Hudson so very, very much. Glee isn’t Glee without him, in my opinion. Cory Monteith does such an incredible job with this role and I am PUMPED about seeing what he brings to the screen this season! Thank you for bringing us some Finn news! We were dying without knowing anything! Welcome home, Finn Hudson… Here’s hoping all your dreams come true!

42. Amy says:

Mr. Monteith you were missed dearly on this show! I hope you get some really good material this year to show off your acting chops and hope they don’t keep FInn in Lima for too long. To all the people saying that they find the Finchel posts annnoying sorry, but that pair is a huge part of this show for a lot of people and Lea and Cory acting opposite each other turns out some of the best scenes on this show. Hopefully we don’t get those two oppsote each other too sparingly this season as it would be a waste of their chemistry.

43. Lisa says:

Finn! Finn! Finn! is back! I will be so happy to see Cory back on the show and am looking forward to his scenes with Blake and Lea and Chris and Darren and whoever else!!!!!!!!!

44. Sara says:

Phew. Not been right withou finn!!

45. Ivanna says:

Yay Finn is back! Soo excited :) :’) I hope Finchel gets back together soon. #FinchelForever

46. Taz says:

CORY IS BACK!!!!!! Finn is definitely what Glee has been missing this season. He is the heart and soul … but if he is only going to be used as a prop for the new kids I’m not at all excited. Cory is an amazing actor and I hope his talents won’t be wasted! I’m still in my state of Finchel-depression so I’m just going to see how it all plays out before commenting further. One thing though, Brody can just GTFO – he’s a creep and not this ‘nice guy’ that they’re trying to build up! #FinchelForever

47. Me says:

Oh! Maybe Glee would be interesting again when Finn will come back on my screen and in my ears. (I miss his singing voice.) Though I’m glad Cory Monteith has a movie career… and I’ll be very excited when his movies will come out.

48. Everyone says:

I’M SO HAPPY FINN IS BACKKKKKK!!! Glee isn’t Glee without Finn!

49. lola says:

I couldn’t more! There is a reason Finchel is so popular. It is because the characters are played by two of the strongest actors in the show. They have made these characters real and no matter what material they are given, they always manage to evoke emotion. The other thing that I sorely miss is Finchel duets. They were some of the best songs done by the show. It really irks me that we only had one true Finchel duet last year, whereas by the 4 th episode we will have two Brochel duets (and quite frankly the first one is very forgettable). So happy Finn is back and really hope that Cory gets some quality scenes to sink his teeth into.

• nLs says:

Oh my goodness, so true about the duets. If Finn and Rachel have to be separated they’d better at least give us some good, sexy, angsty, flirty duets. It’s a travesty that we only had one Finchel duet last year. And after hearing the first Brody/Rachel duet I can’t imagine how that dude got the job. Even Lea can’t make that song decent.

50. Sammy says:

Finn Hundon ( Cory) returning may be the only thing that keeps me from completely leaving Glee behind. I’ve deleted it off my DVR already, but Finn/Cory will always keep my interest in his story. hoping it’s a good one. I realise now I can live without Rachel and her stories in NY. they are so dull,and I had no problem switching channels. but Finn, he’s the reason I can’t completely walk away.