Was The Neighbors Out of This World?

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

Did you love thy Neighbors?

The ABC sitcom, which debuted tonight at 9:30/8:30c, is set in a suburban, seemingly sedate gated community where Marty Weaver (The Knights of Prosperity‘s Lenny Venito) and his wife Debbie (Still Standing‘s Jami Gertz) have chosen to live with their two children. But on move-in day, the subdivision’s other residents give off some strange vibes.

For starters, they all dress alike and have professional athletes’ names – such as Larry Bird (Simon Templeman), Jackie Joyner-Kersee (Toks Olagundoye) and Dick Butkus (Ian Patrick). They don’t seem to understand how to use simple garden tools or host a dinner party… though we definitely approve of Jackie Joyner-Kersee’s dishwashing method. And when the Weaver kids goad Dick Butkus into showing them a “trick,” the jig is up: He transforms into his true form – a Zabrovian alien – outing his entire community as a group of reptilian extraterrestrials. Though they initially want to flee, the Weavers eventually decide to stay in their new abode. After all, the Zabrovians are peace-loving… for the most part.

The comedy is about as broad as it comes – upon hearing the Weaver kids’ screams, Larry Bird laments, “Oh dear. I fear our little Dick may have exposed himself again” – and the show isn’t covering any ground that 3rd Rock from the Sun or even Alien Nation didn’t mine years ago.

But enough about what we thought; let’s hear what you have to say. Grade The Neighbors via the poll below, then hit the comments to explain your choice!

Comments (108)

• I love Jamie Gertz and I found The Neighbors oddly entertaining. I will watch next week. I would much rather watch The Neighbors than The Mindy Project or Ben and Kate which, I couldn’t even finish watching because it was so annoying. Have y’all forgotten the fabulous days of 3rd Rock from the Sun: A group of aliens are sent to Earth, disguised as a human family, to experience and report life on the 3rd planet from the sun – Starring John Lithgow, Jane Curtain, Kristen Johnston, French Steward and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Comment by L – September 27, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gave it a shot, but man that young alien kid creeped me out (and so did the others). hope this won’t get picked up. I’m glad I can look forward to Cougar Town on TBS

Comment by John – September 27, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a light, funny, goofy, escapist comedy in the same vein as Gilligan’s Island. Nothing overly political or artsy. just fun.

Comment by ncmacasl – September 27, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible. Watched 15 minutes of it. 12 minutes too long. Thank goodness for commercials! :)

Comment by Ang – September 27, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed not to see Surbagatory, which I also though would be stupid, but was one of my favourite shows last season. Therefore, I watched Neighbors. Stupid to the Nth Degree. Whomever bought this show for ABC should be sent to another world in a rocket never to return to earth!

Comment by Elijah Connor – September 27, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like the show, the aliens just need some powers or something to make the show more interesting.

Comment by Kirdy – February 22, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post