The Voice Recap: The Blind-Sided! [Updated]

yolanda barberTuesday’s audition episode of The Voice will go down in history as the night where the show was forced to put an asterisk next to the word “blind” in its “Blind Auditions” round. (And, additionally, as the night when I was forced to put an extra asterisk next to my “Overall Season 3 Rankings” list.)

Indeed, when Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, and Adam Levine failed to turn their chairs around after Yolanda Barber’s fierce, flawless, and wonderfully heartfelt rendition of “Get Here,” they revealed a design flaw in the otherwise genuis construct of NBC’s smash-hit reality competition: In the audition phase of the show, the coaches are forced to listen to contestants with their backs turned to the stage, meaning that only singing ability, and not physical appearance, come into play.

But in the case of 55-year-old bus driver Yolanda, a lifetime of heartache, hard work, and life experience were embedded into her vocal cords, creating the kinds of nooks and crannies that soaked up her buttery sound and had me screaming “somebody pick this woman, already!” about two bars into the performance. In other words, you didn’t need a rear-view mirror to realize she was a woman of a certain age.

And alas, The Voice coaches appear to have followed radio programmers, record-label execs, and MTV in championing the Bieber-ization of popular music. All four of ‘em looked and sounded ashamed to have left Yolanda to languish every morning behind the wheel of a giant, yellow beast, but none displayed the courage or curiosity to let her advance to the Battle Rounds against vocalists who were half her age (and possessed only half her talent).

Does no one remember that Susan Boyle proved you can have naturally graying hair and still produce a platinum record?

Because I recap reality competition shows for a living, and because I kinda can’t live without them. I’ll have to learn to forgive The Voice this shameful display, but it’ll be much harder to forget.

Anyhow, without further ado, let’s get down to the business of ranking the four latest singers headed to the Battle Rounds — and then assess them again alongside the other successful auditioners from the previous six nights of Blind Auditions.

“BLIND” AUDITIONS (NIGHT 7) RANKINGS
4) Sylvia Yacoub’s “Only Girl in the World” (Team Xtina) | Egyptian beauty with Xtina’s “dream hair” ended her Rihanna cover with a couple of decent riffs, but for someone who managed to get everyone except Adam to turn their chairs, Sylvia’s grip on pitch was surprisingly tenuous. Even more troublesome, though, was the fact that Sylvia didn’t bring anything new or exciting to the arrangement. This audition will soon be forgotten like the pile of clothes you dropped off at Good Will last spring.

3) Amanda Brown’s “Valerie” | Former backup singer for Adele over-embellished every third word and phrase of Amy Winehouse’s rollicking ditty, but as Adam noted, the last 5 or 10 seconds of the performance showed Amanda’s got vocal cords that can bench-press more than present-day Schwarzenegger (or close to him, anyway). If Cee Lo can drill into Amanda’s head that sometimes less is more, this tall drink of water might be able to survive Battle Rounds.

2) Cassadee Pope’s “Torn” | While I applaud Cassadee’s nifty choice of Natalie Imbruglia’s 1997 smash — and the way she slowed down the opening verse to emphasize the narrator’s pain and frustration — I also heard at least a dozen seriously bum notes through the course of the performance. Yeah, yeah, Blake said he believes “200 percent” that Cassadee is like no one else, and that she is certainly a superstar, but I recall he was pretty stoked about RaeLynn (stage name: Raaaaaaayyyyyyyyy Leeee-uh-nuh) at this point last season, too.

1) Charlie Rey’s “Home” | Speaking of being like no one else, how many folks have been described by Carson Daly as a “smog-technician heartthrob”? (Side note: Does it make me dumb as toast if I’ve never before heard of the profession “smog technician?) Charlie’s craggy voice was far from perfect — there were moments his vocal threatened to slip under one of Xtina’s Louboutins and disappear — but he made up for it with some solid storytelling skills. Plus, how can you not be intrigued by a guy who got Blake to outstretch his arms and beg, “Come home, Chalie. Charlie come home”?

OVERALL SEASON 3 STANDINGS*
42) Casey Muessigman’s “Sweet Home Alabama” (Team Blake)
41) Joe Kirkland’s “Gives You Hell” (Team Adam)
40) Daniel Rosa’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” (Team Cee Lo)
39) Julio Caesar Castillo’s “La Bamba” (Team Blake)
38) JR Aquino’s “Just the Way You Are” (Team Cee Lo)
37) Samuel Mouton’s “Redemption Song” (Team Adam)
36) 2Steel Girls’ “Before He Cheats” (Team Blake)
35) Devyn Deloera’s “Ain’t No Other Man” (Team Xtina)
34) Nelly’s Echo’s “Ain’t No Sunshine” (Team Xtina)
33) Joselyn Rivera’s “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” (Team Xtina)
32) Sylvia Yacoub’s “Only Girl in the World” (Team Xtina)
31) Alessandra Guerico’s “The Climb” (Team Adam)
30) Dez Duron’s “Sara Smiles” (Team Xtina)
29) Beat Frequency’s “E.T.” (Team Xtina)
28) Jordan Pruitt’s “The One That Got Away” (Team Xtina)
27) Collin McLoughlin’s “Wild World” (Team Adam)
26) Aquile’s “Your Song (Team Xtina)
25) Amanda Brown’s “Valerie” (Team Cee Lo)
24) Diego Val’s “Animal” (Team Cee Lo)
23) Brian Scartocci’s “Isn’t She Lovely” (Team Adam)
22) Mackenzie Bourg’s “Pumped Up Kicks” (Team Cee Lo)
21) Cassadee Pope’s “Torn” (Team Blake)
20) Charlie Rey’s “Home” (Team Blake)
19) Trevin Hunte’s “Listen” (Team Cee Lo)
18) Avery Wilson’s “Without You” (Team Cee Lo)
17) Nicholas David’s “Stand By Me” (Team Cee Lo)
16) Benji’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” (Team Adam)
15) Liz Davis’ “Here for the Party” (Team Blake)
14) Alexis Marceaux’s “Go Your Own Way” (Team Cee Lo)
13) Michelle Brooks-Thompson’s “Proud Mary” (Team Adam)
12) Brandon Mahone’s “I Wish It Would Rain” (Team Adam)
11) Mycle Wastman’s “Let’s Stay Together” (Team Cee Lo)
10) Adriana Louise’s “Domino” (Team Xtina)
9) Terry McDermott’s “Baba O’Riley” (Team Blake)
8) DOMO’s “Don’t Cha” (Team Cee Lo)
7) Suzanna Choffel’s “Landslide” (Team Blake)
6) Terisa Griffin’s “Someone Like You” (Team Blake)
5) Gracia Harrison’s “I Want to Be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart” (Team Blake)
4) Melanie Martinez’s “Toxic” (Team Adam)
3) Bryan Keith’s “It Will Rain” (Team Adam)
2) De’Borah’s “Hey Soul Sister” (Team Xtina)
1) Nicole Nelson’s “Hallelujah” (Team Adam)

*Does not include singers whose auditions were shown only as brief snippets, as well as Yolanda Barber

And with that, let me turn things over to you:

Who were your favorites from <em>The Voice</em>’s seventh episode of Season 3? Were you as irked as me about Yolanda’s snub? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. kcostell says:

If the voice was really about letting “only singing ability, not physical appearance” come into play during the blind auditions, they wouldn’t let the judges watch the audience watching the singer.

• Lili An-noln says:

You (TVLine’s Michael) and everybody should start to use quotation marks with the word blind. There’s nothing blind here, let’s be honest. Maybe Randy Jokeson – who will return to the American Idol next year – can learn with us the proper meaning of it.

• Renee says:

The judges certainly carried on about Cassadee Pope as does the show’s website- but she was not all that good, though of course she is talented. Yolanda Barber was better, but they did know she was older & they have not put anyone through who has been this season. ‘Blind auditions?” hardly- really disappointed

• Tyriq says:

Do you think Cassadee Pope was as good as Yolanda?

• kavyn says:

I think they were both talented, but personally I enjoyed Cassadee’s more. I do think Yolanda should have been on the show though.

• ET says:

There is NO way that Cassadee was as good as Yolanda. In fact, Cassadee was a HUGE letdown, after they’d been building her so-called “epic performance” up all evening. It was average, at best, and just like Slezak did, I heard MANY bum notes from her.

• Trent says:

IMO Yolanda was MILES better than Cassadee (who I thought was both pitchy and screechy). However, Yolanda was doomed by her dated song choice. I love “Get Here,” but Yolanda should have chosen something more current if she wanted to be considered as a viable artist. A 17-year-old like Brandon singing the Temptations is considered cute; a 55-year-old doing a slow-jam song from 1990 just seems behind the times. It’s not fair, but that’s how it is.

• christopher johnston says:

Rhetorical?

• markoni says:

She was fresh and unique. Yolanda didn’t sound current or relevant for me. She really wasn’t that good.

• Renee says:

There was NOTHING unique about the performance, delivery or appearance of Cassadee Pope; there was not a thing that stood out about it- very generic. That isn’t said with with the intent of hurting anyone’s feelings at all, it’s just the truth. Anyone who doesn’t know/recognize that Yolanda was great for many, many reasons, very capable of much more, & marketable (more than many younger people, male & female, as well as people of all ages, responded to her) they don’t listen to, or know much beyond pop/radio music- some of us do, and know what skill & talent YB has, delivered, & CAN deliver.

• markoni says:

I don’t wan’t to downplay her great talent and I am sorry if someone recived my comment that way, but in my opinion Yolanda’s style of singing is not very current and do not appeal to me, nor fit the show. Oh well, maybe thats indication that I am narrow-minded.

• Donna Davis says:

She has talent sure..but not even in the same class.It takes a life time to express the passion with which Yolanda sings..Cassadee will be blessed to even be singing at Yolanda’s age.and more blessed to sing as well…!!!

2. Tyriq says:

I was certainly peeved but this isnt even the first time this season. They turned down that Lorraine Ferro woman and she wasn’t as flawless but she was magnificent and also displayed her age in her Voice. So pissed at the judges.

3. bob says:

All I have to say is, I don’t think it’s fair for “contestants” who have had signed deals, been in a band, toured, and have an established fan base to be on the show. My opinion.

• Meem says:

Unlike American Idol, this show NEVER pretended to be about finding new, undiscovered talent. It’s about giving talented people a shot at their big break–and in some cases another shot at it.

• Ehyeh says:

maybe if this was early 2000 (about the time American Idol started), i would have agreed.

but let’s be realistic, it would be hard to find real amateur singers these days that don’t sound amateur.

besides having previous deals and fanbase doesn’t guarantee that act a win at all. did anyone remember how Tony Lucca from last season had 500K twitter followers prior to the live shows yet he lost the popular vote to Katrina in the semis? heck he wasn’t even close to winning the votes in the finale even with the support of his buddy Justin Timberlake.

4. blingedup says:

Yeah……I love your recaps so I’m reading, but I don’t like this show. It was on while I was fixing dinner and I saw about half of it. Yolanda’s audition was part of what I saw and when no one turned around I thought, “This is why I hate this show.” That was a shame.

• Loverly says:

The very next singer was horrible IMO, and got all 4 judges turning around. Kinda disappointing.

• Amy says:

I thought she was awful, too! What was so great about her?? She reminded me of a less talented Avril Lavigne.

• kavyn says:

I think you guys might be over-reacting a bit, but I think it has more to do with the show pimping her out. They shouldn’t have made a big deal out of it because they immediately put high expectations on her. I personally liked her performance a lot, but the editing made her seem better than she probably was.

• Christie says:

The fact that they made such a big deal about her was certainly part of the problem.
            Truthfully, I wasn’t overly enamored of Yolanda, but I certainly liked her far better than many of the other singers who made it so after she didn’t turn any chairs, I wanted someone to really blow me away for a four-chair turn.
            But I think the bigger problem is that the judges are increasingly being pushed not to look for the best voice, but the best radio-ready voice. And Cassadee, for all the bum notes she hit, sounds like she could be on the radio. Which doesn’t say much about radio today, but there it is.
            One of the biggest criticisms about this show is that they have yet to produce a star the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, etc. etc. so there seems to be an obnoxious effort this year to find someone who will succeed on the radio, not just who has a good voice. Disappointing, but that seems to be what’s going on.

• Basically says:

Stop picking on Cassadee. She wasn’t bad, the chick from Egypt was bad. Cassadee was way too hyped up, and she came after Yolanda who was amazing. Its not Cassadee’s fault. I am so disappointed about Yolanda that all of my joy and anticipation for the show was just killed. I am probably done watching the Voice for this season. There has to be a twist, why would they even show that audition knowing it would just piss people off.

5. marge says:

They suck for this. Seriously. If it was REALLY about “the voice” they would’ve turned around in a second. There is a market out there for vocalists like Yolanda – why try to over-populate the crappy pop genre that has defined the past couple of years.

Shame on them.

6. GPeak says:

They missed the boat on this talented artiist. Shame on the four judges. With side glances to each otrher they often let their egos get in the way of their discernmant of true ability and grace.

7. Snow says:

WTF! Why was the girl from Hey Monday on this show?

• chessguy99 says:

The group is pretty much done, and she has gone on to take a shot at a solo career. She put out a self-produced EP back in May that got a little buzz. She’s pretty much this season’s Dia Frampton/Juliet Simms.

• JC says:

Hey Monday had a record deal with Columbia Records and they released three albums on that label! There’s no way she should be on this show.

• Snow says:

I was cool with Dia and Juliet on the show but for some reason it bothered me that this girl was and it shouldn’t. I guess its just because I really didn’t like her band.

8. Sandy says:

It irked me too, Slezak. Half way through Yolanda’s song, I realized that though she was on point from the beginning and there was no way she could sing any better, not a single judge would be brave enough to push his/her button. From then on, I was just wondering what type of reasons they would come up with for not giving her a shot.

Why can’t they just be honest on these singing shows and say, “There’s nothing wrong with the way you sing and perform, but being an amazing singer won’t sell music. You need an appealing image and youth to boot, and we don’t think you will appeal to any of the key demographics”? Why stumble over half-hearted excuses like “I’m just looking for a certain type of voice this year” or “I thought you were a better fit for that other mentor’s team”. Not many people buy the music of full-voiced soul singers anymore. Why else would 1/2 the mentors turn around for the nice guy who covered Buble’s “Home” when not one could muster the nerve to turn around for a more seasoned and skilled vocalist?

9. Snow says:

Two days in a row that I’ve seen singers that I’ve heard before. I don’t know how I feel about that.

10. Joey says:

Seriously, calm down. She’s hardly the best this season. And it’s never been BLIND. Producers and casting directors SEE all the singers before they even arrive at the judges. She was good. But not for ALL THAT.

11. Ron says:

Yolanda is only the last of several excellent singers that was dissed by the judges by not wanting them on their team. I am so dumbfounded by these four that unless there is some trick coming up where they can go back and give certain ones that they turned down another chance, I will not be watching this show after the audition portion. Right after Yolanda was sent packing there was a girl that sang horribly off-key almost the entire song and all four of them turned around and declared her a future superstar. It makes no sense. I’ll watch through the auditions and then I’m done. I can’t believe how many times they have said they were stupid not to press their button, and then they just keep sitting there like they’re tone deaf. Ridiculous!

• FreeHaley says:

I think they did simply just hear the age in a few singers and maybe skip them because of that. It also seemed like Cee Lo is picking way more guys this time, maybe after getting burned not winning with females twice (even though at least one and maybe both were probably best of their season), but maybe I’m mistaken.

• FreeHaley says:

It was a shame, especially to see on this show. At least they are not humiliating anyone though. Yesterday on the x-factor they got kinda over the top with that I thought.

12. Ehyeh says:

meh. things like these are always bound to happen. only few spots left, the coaches are getting picky.

honestly i think they’ve stacked a lot of people with potential this season. a portion of those is enough to fill-in the next season and make it competitive.

now in case you’re wondering about my idea of “a lot”. these days, if there are at least 5 solid singer/performers in the live shows, i would already consider that as competitive.

13. kyla says:

Yolanda was amazing…i hope someone else notices her:-)

14. betsy says:

Yolanda was amazing! The woman who opened the show was a horror show! How could they pick her and not Yolanda!

15. davidarita says:

i want to buy her song

• G-Mom says:

I do, too!! I thought to myself that I’d buy her song and SHOW THEM, but I realized that I couldn’t because she wasn’t picked!! Grrrr!

16. Gretchen says:

Yolanda was definitely very good, and I love her old school jazzy voice – I’d buy her album, for sure .. . but she’s not the only singer this year that I think deserved a turnaround by the judges. They’ve passed on a few good ones and have gone for some very mediocre ones instead. That being said, though, I think the judges have been quite honest and upfront with the contestants, and for the most part, they’ve selected some standouts that I’m really looking forward to hearing more from. At least The Voice offers auditions with singing instead of the pathetic auditions telecast on Idol. I really don’t like watching people make fools of themselves!

17. Amy says:

I’ve noticed a pattern of ageism on The Voice this year. Several “mature” singers haven’t had anybody turn around, and they were actually good. Yolanda was AMAZING and one of the best I’ve heard on The Voice this season. I remember a couple of other older women (“older” being 40s and above), I think they were both music teachers, not making through when I thought they had pretty good voices (especially one who sounded a little like Stevie Nicks). I really do think this show has a little more integrity than Idol et. al., at least in these so-called blind auditions (my favorite part of The Voice), but tonight’s episode definitely has tainted the process. Sigh.

18. Jesa says:

So The Voice is telling me that last girl, who was off key most of the time and wasn’t even all that, is a better talent than Yolanda?

I hate this show.

• Renee says:

Actually Yolanda Barber will probably do better than some people who were chosen for this show, as the fact that the four didn’t respond to someone this good, when everyone watching did respond-will bring her the attention she deserves. The fact that they carried on so much about the last performer; with Blake calling someone only moderately talented a future “super-star” doesn’t make the show as credible as they have claimed to be, for many viewers.

19. Aria says:

I loved Yolanda. Such a shame.

• Aria says:

On the other hand, Amanda Brown (the Adele backup singer) was very shaky and still got through. She was one of the worst thus far, in my opinion, and will surely be gone during Battle Rounds.

• Aria says:

Goes to show how things change- Amanda was my absolute favorite this year, and I’m devastated she was undeservingly cut at Top 6.

• Lydzatwit says:

I thought Amanda was great as well. I hope she manages to go far anyway, we need more gals in the music biz who have some toughness to them, and she has MAJOR talent. I really wish she & Terry could have done a duet, I wanted to see that!

20. AT says:

It was rather apparent that they didn’t turn around because of her age. People are going to start getting annoyed with the show, when they clearly seem to be going for only young singers this season.

21. RM says:

Yolanda is a good cruise ship singer. She’s no shocking Susan Boyle. Actually, the judges probably wouldn’t have turned around for Boyle if they couldn’t see her. It’s the look plus the surprising pop operatic voice that made Susan Boyle a star. The lead singer girl sounds a lot like Haley Williams. Definitely marketable. 64 people are just too many for the audience to form a connection. No one performs every week. The 4 finalists are chosen after 4 or 5 widely spaced performances in the battle rounds.

22. Lois Benton says:

Yolanda Barber was the best of the night. I agree with you that it was outrageous that no chairs turned for her.

23. Kate says:

Aw, Michael. You’re not dumb for not knowing about smog technicians…. you’re just not a Californian. I suspect every 10th resident does smog testing, considering how many shops there are.

24. Scout says:

I am less shocked by Yolanda and more shocked by the stunning amount of mediocrity that gets through. DOMO?! I couldn’t even hear the Buble dude. The Egyptian girl was aweful. It’s great to be a storyteller, even better when I can hear you. He is toast anyway….

Yes, the show has flaws. Hugs ones. I can’t figure out why I watch? :)

I don’t think people who have the benefit of record deals and superstar friends should be on the show. I much prefer when American Idol lies about it. It just makes it easier to root for them.

25. Yo' says:

There was no excuse at all for Yolanda not being selected. None. Nada. Zip. She was phenomenal. The judges knew her age.

26. Stacy says:

If the judges aren’t going to pick older singers, then the producers shouldn’t put them through to the audition rounds. It’s a shame to see someone as talented as Yolanda not get chosen due to her age. Or perhaps next season, the older contestants will wise up and choose more contemporary songs. Maybe then they wouldn’t be able to tell as much. I really thought Cassadee was wildly out of tune. Was very disappointed with the judges tonight.

27. Sherrie Richey says:

You’re right Michael. This made me absolutely livid about Yolanda. They lost me as a serious viewer, and as a supporter of the winner. Having gifted now almost 19,000 albums around the world, a significant number of them to reality show winners, it saddens me to consider that these things occur. Sime

• Beth T says:

Hey Sherrie! *waves*.
      You can add me to the “mad-about-Yolanda” train – she was my favorite of the night. I hope some smart music exec picks her up for a label.
      In reply to: “unless there is some trick coming up where they can go back and give certain ones that they turned down another chance”. They actually did that the first year. When I heard they were making some changes this year I had hoped they were bringing the second chance thing back, but it seems the changes are to start with bigger teams and then allow some deal where a coach can take another coach’s singer…

28. Sherrie Richey says:

You’re right Michael. This made me absolutely livid about Yolanda. They lost me as a serious viewer, and as a supporter of the winner. Having gifted now almost 19,000 albums around the world, a significant number of them to reality show winners, it saddens me to consider that these things occur. Someone needs to do a reality show reject show, where the talented but scorned can shine.

29. LoRo1 says:

I may come back and try this show again when the new judges come on. As of now I am done for this season. Right now, the current judges are just being smug and more about themselves than the contestants.

30. G-Mom says:

I was glad to see my top two in your top 10 – Nicole Nelson and Terry McDermott. Yolanda was the best last night! I was yelling “TURN AROUND” along with you! That girl, Cassadee, was so pitchy it was ridiculous, yet all the judges turned around!! I will watch the show until they kick off Nicole and Terry (if they do) then I am through!! If the voters eliminate them, then that is (sort of) okay, but if their judge does, then I’m gone. That’s what I did in season 1. When Adam chose that boy over Rebecca Loebe, I quit watching.

31. Trent says:

In the midst of all the (somewhat justified) outrage over Yolanda, I just wanted to note how funny the rest of the episode was last night. Between Blake’s feigned annoyance over being lumped in with pig farmers; Cee Lo telling everyone to “shut up!” and then freezing when Adam calmed everyone down for him; and Blake cooing “Charlie, come home” as he held his arms open wide, I was consistently laughing out loud. Michael never seems to comment on the show beyond the singers, but I think the judges’ chemistry is OUTSTANDING this year.

32. Realist says:

I can’t imagine buying music from any of the singers on last night’s show.

33. Sherry says:

I have to agree. I thought Yolanda was amazing and it was hard to believe that no one turned their chair for her. I am the mother of an artist who was invited to participate in the blind auditions and I got to meet Yolanda in LA. I would never have guessed she had pipes like that. Loved her! I hope this moment of fame helps rejuvenate her singing career

34. shay says:

shane on the coaches that did not turn their sit for Yolanda. She was the best audition that I have seen in voice. She rocks. Shame on the coaches. I am so disappointed with them. I am not going to watch this show anymore. the hell with them.

35. Yolanda Barber says:

love you too!!!

• christopher johnston says:

quite obviously this show is geared towards cutesie YOUNG pop singers ,and has absolutely NOTHING to do with talented singers.Yolander was outstanding ,I just don’t get it.

36. Lorraine here (the other woman on the show over 50! lol!) I am SO glad you guys are showing so much love for my girl (and roomie during the Voice Blind auditions!) Yolanda! She is a gem. Inside and out. SO talented, AND a blast to be around as well. Because of all the overwhelming love that has come our way, we’ve been thinking about thanking you by doing a performance in NYC together. What do you think? Hit us back on facebook or twitter, or even here if you want to be part of it! :-D Thanks!

37. edrem says:

Shameful and disgusting that Yolanda was not picked. It was so obvious that her age not her voice was the reason they didnt pick her. Having watched the Voice UK, AUS and US versions there is a discernible pattern of picking young voices with few older ones being given a chance. They should be more honest and add an age limit like American Idol or have categories like Xfactor so that older voices are represented. I hope this injustice at least led to more exposure and more bookings for Yolanda as she has a remarkable talent. When is the music business going to stop catering to the taste of 13 year old girls by cointinuing to promote the cute but talentless Biebers and 1Directions who churn out forgettable crap disguised as caviar…and the Voice was supposed to be different with their “blind” auditions. This (combined with all the lying going on by the Republicans) makes one wonder if there is a shred of honesty left in America

38. M. Car says:

Shame, shame, shame is all I can say about what they did to Yolanda. Somebody out there needs to get in touch with her and give her some work. She DOES have a facebook page.

39. Lydzatwit says:

I love “Get There” but I REALLY would’ve loved to hear Yolanda Barber do an Amy Winehouse song, maybe something less known from Frank. I agree that she should’ve balanced her age with a more current song choice. But man she was a THOUSAND times better than that Cassadee gal, whose performance was quite painfully pitchy.

40. Name That Tune says:

Seriously. These singing competition shows have become quite boring and predictable. They all are just bar or lounge singers who are being given a thread of hope that this could be their “big break”. Ugh.

• Renee says:

I wonder how you think the ‘stars’ you know of, made their living before they became ‘stars;’ Do you think people walk into a recording studio, or onto a stage and are instantly ‘famous’? Before YT, and the Internet, working musicians have ALWAYS had to make a living somehow while they are trying to do something on a larger scale; it’s also how they hone their craft. They do it in clubs, small venues, and yes, cruise ships. The venue someone works, does not define whether they are talented and skilled. Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five started in clubs, AND entered contests with that ‘thread of hope’ that it would mean their ‘big break’. I agree ‘hope’ exploited for entertainment is not enjoyable, but people who risk humiliation and heartbreak for a chance and artists, have done that for many decades.

• Name That Tune says:

Renee, that doesn’t change the fact that these singing competition shows have all become rather boring and predictable. Blah.

• Renee says:

I thought the Voice was different until they left their backs turned to Yolanda Barber, the singer Rolling Stone called potentially the best singer ever to appear on the show. The judges then fell all over themselves for the last performer of that night. This was a YOUNG woman who gave a really marginal performance, but had a tween following; so yes this show too is now boring, yes predictable & very GENERIC. I do however, completely understand someone who wants to have an avenue to do what they love & trying a contest to do it. I was invited to audition on this show, but as I work full time, (& need to) I just didn’t have time; as I am older AND female, I guess I know what would have become of that effort. As I worked for a long time as a musician & in voice overs before I had to stop for many reasons, it doesn’t stop me from considering other venues. It is human nature to want to try to do, what we do best.