Is Mindy a Project You'd Like to Take On?

You already know that we think The Mindy Project is the strongest of this fall’s new comedy pilots. And now that the Fox sitcom’s Tuesday-night premiere is out of the way, we want to hear your thoughts about the rom-com-obsessed OB/GYN’s quest to change her life.

A quick recap: The Office’s Mindy Kaling created and stars in the new series, which follows Dr. Mindy Lahiri as she tries to become less of a hot mess. In the pilot, we learn that she’s quite taken with movies like When Harry Met Sally but hasn’t yet found a relationship that even remotely lives up to their hype.

Of course, that doesn’t stop her from envisioning herself as a romantic heroine, as evidenced by her voiceover when she and an oral surgeon named Tom (Saturday Night Live‘s Bill Hader in a guest role) meet-cute at the hospital where they work: “Met in an elevator? My hair came undone? Are you kidding me? I’m basically Sandra Bullock.” It’s a sentiment she voices again – though drunkenly and while astride a bicycle moments before she accidentally plunges into a pool – in a flash-forward after giving a far-too-honest toast at Tom’s wedding to another woman.

Mindy’s settled-down pal Gwen (Anna Camp) bails her out after an arrest for disturbing the peace and helps her realize she’s got to get herself together. That task involves going out on a blind date with Gwen’s sedate-yet-handsome pick (Kaling’s Office mate Ed Helms, also guesting here) and fending off the lusty advances of fellow doc Jeremy (Ed Weeks). In between, Mindy verbally spars with her acerbic coworker Dr. Danny (Chris Messina) and attends to an uninsured immigrant mother’s breech birth. As the half hour ends, Dr. Lahiri is most definitely a work in progress.

What say you, TVLine nation? Grade The Mindy Project in the poll below and then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. MC says:

The pilot didn’t make me laugh once, but I appreciate the talent in front of and behind the talent.

• topoopon says:

Exactly. I’m going to watch one more time to see if it was just working out the pilot and the show gets funnier.

• Amanda says:

Agreed. I always try to give news shows at least two viewings before I decided. The pilot was not as good as I expected, but I enjoyed Mindy’s writing and acting on The Office so I expect it to get better.

• jenna says:

agreed. The actually writing felt a bit stale but I’m willing to watch a couple more episodes to see if the show gets into its groove. However from the pilot alone, I’m not very impressed

2. shlee says:

Chris Messina is everything.

• mawhi says:

Basically.

• jari says:

He could say the sky is blue, and I’ll laugh, cry and stare at the crooked smile while beliving.

• dude says:

He’s talented but a total ass in this show and not in the “cute jerk” way in the jerk way. I don’t think I could see him as a viable romantic interest for her after he told her she needed to lose weight. That’s a pig move.

• lara says:

Agreed. And, from the promos, the weight issue seems to come up again. I think the show tried too hard to make him into the “guy you love to hate”, hoping that CM’s charm would take over the character’s MAJOR flaws. And, I don’t know if it did.

I also hate the no-string attached, hot, bad ass guy. Not hot or bad ass enough, in my opinion.

• Eli says:

Right,because her comment on his ex-wife was sooooooo nice. Bunch of hypocrites here…

• HH says:

I agree. His comment about her weight was obviously a knee-jerk reaction to her comment about his ex-wife. You could tell it hurt him. That kind of back and forth (in my opinion) is not fun to watch.

Overall I was disappointed with the pilot. it went from too precious, girly-girl to mean and nasty with very little substance in between. I’ll give a couple of weeks and then cancel my season pass if it doesn’t improve.

3. Susan says:

I enjoyed it but I found it a little weird that ALL of her romantic prospects were white males. Hopefully later episodes include more diversity.

• lara says:

Agreed. But, then again, I think Mindy IRL seems to have dated mostly white guys, and this is supposed to be loosely based on Mindy’s real life persona so…

• roc says:

If they cant get the lead to be white, they can at least make everyone else around them white. They have to meet the “white quota”.

#hollyweird

• Katerina says:

I was just a bit irritated that she was the ONLY person of color in the entire episode. I mean where’s her Indian family? Does she have any asian/latina/black friends lol…

• iMember says:

There was a Latina girl. She worked at the desk.

• Mary says:

She wasn’t the only person of color in the whole episode, remember her patients without insurance? As for her friends, she doesn’t seem to have any but one, or maybe that’s the only friend kind enough to bail you out of jail.

• whatevs says:

Mindy has said herself that her type is blonde guys, which usually means they will be white. She’s the one who created the show, so I’m not sure why you have a problem with it if she doesn’t.

• Bob says:

You know the old saying: “Once you go white…”.

4. lariet50 says:

Couldn’t even get through it.

5. Julie says:

It was much weaker than I’d expected, but it was mostly likable. I’m a big fan of Mindy’s though, so I feel (and hope) that the show will find its voice with a little time and grow into a great show.

6. English says:

I did NOT want to watch this show but I thought I would give it a chance and I LOVED IT!!!

7. Streed says:

I didn’t get it.

8. Patricia says:

I only laughed once I thought she was trying to hard but I think it has potential I’ll watch a few more episodes.

9. Jo says:

It was super lame, didn’t laugh at all. I smell cancellation.

10. ggny says:

Mindy is great in small doses…But man this was hard to get through. Maybe it will get better

• Patrick says:

Ditto. I didn’t watch the show, nor will i ever. I hated Mindy on the Office. She was tolerable in tiny doses. And she is playing the same character here, only she is carrying the show. No thank you.

11. Ashly says:

This show kind of reminded me of Bridget Jones Diary (chubby girl who’s kind of easy, jerk coworker she sleeps with, guy with whom she argues that she’ll eventually end up with, etc.). I actually don’t like that movie, but I really enjoyed this show. I never realized how greatly misused Mindy Kaling was on The Office. She gave a stellar performance. The show is definitely my new fave so far.

12. Kara says:

I thought it was cute, very much in the vain of ‘New Girl’ (but with a lead I can actually stand). I’m not sure it will be everyone’s taste, but I’ll be watching it this season!

13. kat says:

Found all of the characters pretty unlikable. Obnoxiously so.

14. Jeff says:

Watched it awhile ago on OnDemand…didn’t laugh once,..I’ll give it another shot, hopefully it gets a lot funnier

15. teamo says:

I really enjoyed the pilot but can’t say it was something I would watch live all season.

16. Isaac says:

I just don’t get the hype. There might be potential, so I’ll give it another shot, but I honestly couldn’t see the humor in this show.

17. wooster182 says:

I really liked it but Chris Messina is the anchor holding this show together. They need to broaden the plot A LOT because it’s going to go downhill fast if the only plot is the fact that Mindy is a romantic mess and is destined for Daniel.

18. mia says:

I wasn’t going to check this out, but it was on so I did. And I’m glad I did! Its charming and inappropriate. Going to stick around for a while.
    The stuff with her two office aids (the women) are the best.
    Plus how often do you see a woman like Mindy on tv????

• Mary says:

“Plus how often do you see a woman like Mindy on tv?”

Not being a size 2 and white are definately something different for a main character. I just didn’t find Mindy to be that likable or relatable.

19. Carrie says:

I loved it, I will def. tune in next week.

20. Second date!! says:

Enjoyed it!! It is charming awkward and i loved that!!

This show kind of reminded me of Wonder falls, SNL Digital short’s cinema style !!
    Loved how the NBC’s star power used in the show!!

it is not about comedic humor!!

21. Lindsey says:

I watched it on Hulu a few weeks ago and liked it a lot more than I expected. I just hope it doesn’t get old quickly, like The New Girl did for me.

22. Roy says:

Hated it to be honest. Found it completely unfunny and did not like the characters at all.

That said, I also hated New Girl’s pilot and that grew into a funny show. So I’ll check it again.

• Susan says:

See, I loved New Girl’s pilot but didn’t find the season to be all that funny. I watched the Mindy pilot with high expectations and was disappointed. The supporting characters were more interesting than Mindy’s character.

23. Mike says:

Not too many laughs in the pilot, but the characters are likeable enough that I will continue to tune in.

24. Jason says:

Avoided it like the plague.

25. Alex says:

I thought it REEKED. I didn’t laugh once. This show has some good actors, but the writing is extremely weak.

26. Katerina says:

I was a bit underwhelmed… too much going on at once. Only chuckled a little and that’s it.

27. To be honest, of all the comedy pilots I’ve seen yet this year, this one I enjoyed the least. It didn’t seem very funny to me and I didn’t find her to be very likeable.

28. pol75 says:

It was a good pilot. Entertaining. But I think that either I am losing my sense of humour or comedies are becoming less and less funny. They seem some kind of mini-version of dramas with good feelings thrown in but even the rapidly deteriorating HIMYM still makes me laugh a whole lot more than the new comedies.

29. lisa says:

Ok, I love love LOVED all of Chris Messina’s one liners! He is awesome and even made my husband (who was valiantly trying to not pay attention to the show) laugh. “Ok, if you wear a John Mellencamp shirt to a Springstein concert, you should expect to get punched in the face.” Ha! And I loved the twist at the end – I’m totally already shipping them!

30. Kristina says:

Couldn’t even get through it. Not funny.

31. Dean says:

It was kinda different and I liked it.

32. tp says:

I watched it because my daughter read her book and enjoyed it. My observations are as follows: She’s not fat. She’s not a size 2 or 4 but she’s not fat. Her voice is a slight bit irritating. I can’t decide if it’s the pitch or speech pattern but something was driving me crazy. The male doctors weren’t really likeable. Not even the “love to hate” type. The best friend and daughter irked me. I can’t stand bratty kids in person or on t.v. I didn’t find it funny but I will give it another episode. Hopefully it will get better.

• Mary says:

I loved the best friend, she was the only likable character for me. As for her child, she didn’t seem overly bratty, but maybe that’s just because I liked her more than Mindy. Actually I liked everyone more than Mindy and couldn’t believe she was the main character.

• tp says:

Honestly as far as the friend and the daughter are concerned only one thing irked me. The kid kept saying “This is boring.” The mom only responded when Mindy said something. I can’t stand mothers like that. Yes, Mindy’s respond was not kid friendly but obviously Mindy is off her rocker. I totally agree with you about Mindy being unlikeable.

33. beej says:

I generally have been thinking that TVLINE and other reviewers (EW, looking at you) were on crack saying this is the strongest comedy debuting this season. I could only watch about 15 minutes and there was just nothing there. How are reviewers saying this is a great show, let alone the best new one of the season.

34. Jon says:

I actually really liked it. It was funny and cute. I’ll watch.

35. Rachel says:

I loved this show!! I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. Chris Messina is amazing, too, they did a great job with the cast – I’m sure I’ll figure it out soon enough, but is he supposed to be a romantic interest for her? They did a lot of bickering, but he seemed to be a pretty good friend in the end…

36. Ella says:

You guys raved about this and I went in with high expectations. I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

37. Danielle H says:

Wasn’t horrific, wasn’t great. It needs to be less erratice to really become good though. We shall see.