Is Mindy a Project You'd Like to Take On?

Get More: Polls, Premieres, Recaps

You already know that we think The Mindy Project is the strongest of this fall’s new comedy pilots. And now that the Fox sitcom’s Tuesday-night premiere is out of the way, we want to hear your thoughts about the rom-com-obsessed OB/GYN’s quest to change her life.

A quick recap: The Office’s Mindy Kaling created and stars in the new series, which follows Dr. Mindy Lahiri as she tries to become less of a hot mess. In the pilot, we learn that she’s quite taken with movies like When Harry Met Sally but hasn’t yet found a relationship that even remotely lives up to their hype.

Of course, that doesn’t stop her from envisioning herself as a romantic heroine, as evidenced by her voiceover when she and an oral surgeon named Tom (Saturday Night Live‘s Bill Hader in a guest role) meet-cute at the hospital where they work: “Met in an elevator? My hair came undone? Are you kidding me? I’m basically Sandra Bullock.” It’s a sentiment she voices again – though drunkenly and while astride a bicycle moments before she accidentally plunges into a pool – in a flash-forward after giving a far-too-honest toast at Tom’s wedding to another woman.

Mindy’s settled-down pal Gwen (Anna Camp) bails her out after an arrest for disturbing the peace and helps her realize she’s got to get herself together. That task involves going out on a blind date with Gwen’s sedate-yet-handsome pick (Kaling’s Office mate Ed Helms, also guesting here) and fending off the lusty advances of fellow doc Jeremy (Ed Weeks). In between, Mindy verbally spars with her acerbic coworker Dr. Danny (Chris Messina) and attends to an uninsured immigrant mother’s breech birth. As the half hour ends, Dr. Lahiri is most definitely a work in progress.

What say you, TVLine nation? Grade The Mindy Project in the poll below and then hit the comments to back up your choice!

Comments (68)

• Loved it!

Comment by Cris – September 25, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot didn’t make me laugh once, but I appreciate the talent in front of and behind the talent.

Comment by MC – September 25, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I’m going to watch one more time to see if it was just working out the pilot and the show gets funnier.

Comment by topoopon – September 25, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. I always try to give news shows at least two viewings before I decided. The pilot was not as good as I expected, but I enjoyed Mindy’s writing and acting on The Office so I expect it to get better.

Comment by Amanda – September 26, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed. The actually writing felt a bit stale but I’m willing to watch a couple more episodes to see if the show gets into its groove. However from the pilot alone, I’m not very impressed

Comment by jenna – September 26, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Messina is everything.

Comment by shlee – September 25, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Basically.

Comment by mawhi – September 25, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He could say the sky is blue, and I’ll laugh, cry and stare at the crooked smile while beliving.

Comment by jari – September 25, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s talented but a total ass in this show and not in the “cute jerk” way in the jerk way. I don’t think I could see him as a viable romantic interest for her after he told her she needed to lose weight. That’s a pig move.

Comment by dude – September 25, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. And, from the promos, the weight issue seems to come up again. I think the show tried too hard to make him into the “guy you love to hate”, hoping that CM’s charm would take over the character’s MAJOR flaws. And, I don’t know if it did.

I also hate the no-string attached, hot, bad ass guy. Not hot or bad ass enough, in my opinion.

Comment by lara – September 25, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right,because her comment on his ex-wife was sooooooo nice. Bunch of hypocrites here…

Comment by Eli – September 26, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. His comment about her weight was obviously a knee-jerk reaction to her comment about his ex-wife. You could tell it hurt him. That kind of back and forth (in my opinion) is not fun to watch.

Overall I was disappointed with the pilot. it went from too precious, girly-girl to mean and nasty with very little substance in between. I’ll give a couple of weeks and then cancel my season pass if it doesn’t improve.

Comment by HH – September 26, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed it but I found it a little weird that ALL of her romantic prospects were white males. Hopefully later episodes include more diversity.

Comment by Susan – September 25, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. But, then again, I think Mindy IRL seems to have dated mostly white guys, and this is supposed to be loosely based on Mindy’s real life persona so…

Comment by lara – September 25, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they cant get the lead to be white, they can at least make everyone else around them white. They have to meet the “white quota”.

#hollyweird

Comment by roc – September 26, 2012 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was just a bit irritated that she was the ONLY person of color in the entire episode. I mean where’s her Indian family? Does she have any asian/latina/black friends lol…

Comment by Katerina – September 26, 2012 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There was a Latina girl. She worked at the desk.

Comment by iMember – September 26, 2012 05:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She wasn’t the only person of color in the whole episode, remember her patients without insurance? As for her friends, she doesn’t seem to have any but one, or maybe that’s the only friend kind enough to bail you out of jail.

Comment by Mary – September 26, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mindy has said herself that her type is blonde guys, which usually means they will be white. She’s the one who created the show, so I’m not sure why you have a problem with it if she doesn’t.

Comment by whatevs – September 26, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know the old saying: “Once you go white…”.

Comment by Bob – September 26, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Jacki – September 26, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t even get through it.

Comment by lariet50 – September 25, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was much weaker than I’d expected, but it was mostly likable. I’m a big fan of Mindy’s though, so I feel (and hope) that the show will find its voice with a little time and grow into a great show.

Comment by Julie – September 25, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did NOT want to watch this show but I thought I would give it a chance and I LOVED IT!!!

Comment by English – September 25, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t get it.

Comment by Streed – September 25, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only laughed once I thought she was trying to hard but I think it has potential I’ll watch a few more episodes.

Comment by Patricia – September 25, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was super lame, didn’t laugh at all. I smell cancellation.

Comment by Jo – September 25, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy is great in small doses…But man this was hard to get through. Maybe it will get better

Comment by ggny – September 25, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. I didn’t watch the show, nor will i ever. I hated Mindy on the Office. She was tolerable in tiny doses. And she is playing the same character here, only she is carrying the show. No thank you.

Comment by Patrick – September 26, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How would you know she was the same character if you didn’t watch the show?

Comment by Anna – September 26, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show kind of reminded me of Bridget Jones Diary (chubby girl who’s kind of easy, jerk coworker she sleeps with, guy with whom she argues that she’ll eventually end up with, etc.). I actually don’t like that movie, but I really enjoyed this show. I never realized how greatly misused Mindy Kaling was on The Office. She gave a stellar performance. The show is definitely my new fave so far.

Comment by Ashly – September 25, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was cute, very much in the vain of ‘New Girl’ (but with a lead I can actually stand). I’m not sure it will be everyone’s taste, but I’ll be watching it this season!

Comment by Kara – September 25, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree!!

Comment by Sarah – September 25, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Found all of the characters pretty unlikable. Obnoxiously so.

Comment by kat – September 25, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, then I advise you to never watch HBO’s ‘Girls’.

Comment by Eli – September 26, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched it awhile ago on OnDemand…didn’t laugh once,..I’ll give it another shot, hopefully it gets a lot funnier

Comment by Jeff – September 25, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed the pilot but can’t say it was something I would watch live all season.

Comment by teamo – September 25, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t get the hype. There might be potential, so I’ll give it another shot, but I honestly couldn’t see the humor in this show.

Comment by Isaac – September 25, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked it but Chris Messina is the anchor holding this show together. They need to broaden the plot A LOT because it’s going to go downhill fast if the only plot is the fact that Mindy is a romantic mess and is destined for Daniel.

Comment by wooster182 – September 25, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If he’s the anchor, we’re in trouble.

Comment by dude – September 25, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t going to check this out, but it was on so I did. And I’m glad I did! Its charming and inappropriate. Going to stick around for a while.
    The stuff with her two office aids (the women) are the best.
    Plus how often do you see a woman like Mindy on tv????

Comment by mia – September 25, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Plus how often do you see a woman like Mindy on tv?”

Not being a size 2 and white are definately something different for a main character. I just didn’t find Mindy to be that likable or relatable.

Comment by Mary – September 26, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it, I will def. tune in next week.

Comment by Carrie – September 25, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoyed it!! It is charming awkward and i loved that!!

This show kind of reminded me of Wonder falls, SNL Digital short’s cinema style !!
    Loved how the NBC’s star power used in the show!!

it is not about comedic humor!!

Comment by Second date!! – September 25, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it on Hulu a few weeks ago and liked it a lot more than I expected. I just hope it doesn’t get old quickly, like The New Girl did for me.

Comment by Lindsey – September 25, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • New Girl only got BETTER as it went along. One of the best comedies around today if you ask me.

Comment by iMember – September 26, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hated it to be honest. Found it completely unfunny and did not like the characters at all.

That said, I also hated New Girl’s pilot and that grew into a funny show. So I’ll check it again.

Comment by Roy – September 25, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See, I loved New Girl’s pilot but didn’t find the season to be all that funny. I watched the Mindy pilot with high expectations and was disappointed. The supporting characters were more interesting than Mindy’s character.

Comment by Susan – September 25, 2012 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not too many laughs in the pilot, but the characters are likeable enough that I will continue to tune in.

Comment by Mike – September 25, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Avoided it like the plague.

Comment by Jason – September 25, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for your thoughtful insight then.

Comment by topoopon – September 25, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just not the articles about it though right??? Lame.

Comment by T – September 26, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it REEKED. I didn’t laugh once. This show has some good actors, but the writing is extremely weak.

Comment by Alex – September 25, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a bit underwhelmed… too much going on at once. Only chuckled a little and that’s it.

Comment by Katerina – September 26, 2012 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be honest, of all the comedy pilots I’ve seen yet this year, this one I enjoyed the least. It didn’t seem very funny to me and I didn’t find her to be very likeable.

Comment by Jess/Skye (@CrashandBurn9) – September 26, 2012 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a good pilot. Entertaining. But I think that either I am losing my sense of humour or comedies are becoming less and less funny. They seem some kind of mini-version of dramas with good feelings thrown in but even the rapidly deteriorating HIMYM still makes me laugh a whole lot more than the new comedies.

Comment by pol75 – September 26, 2012 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I love love LOVED all of Chris Messina’s one liners! He is awesome and even made my husband (who was valiantly trying to not pay attention to the show) laugh. “Ok, if you wear a John Mellencamp shirt to a Springstein concert, you should expect to get punched in the face.” Ha! And I loved the twist at the end – I’m totally already shipping them!

Comment by lisa – September 26, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t even get through it. Not funny.

Comment by Kristina – September 26, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was kinda different and I liked it.

Comment by Dean – September 26, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it because my daughter read her book and enjoyed it. My observations are as follows: She’s not fat. She’s not a size 2 or 4 but she’s not fat. Her voice is a slight bit irritating. I can’t decide if it’s the pitch or speech pattern but something was driving me crazy. The male doctors weren’t really likeable. Not even the “love to hate” type. The best friend and daughter irked me. I can’t stand bratty kids in person or on t.v. I didn’t find it funny but I will give it another episode. Hopefully it will get better.

Comment by tp – September 26, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved the best friend, she was the only likable character for me. As for her child, she didn’t seem overly bratty, but maybe that’s just because I liked her more than Mindy. Actually I liked everyone more than Mindy and couldn’t believe she was the main character.

Comment by Mary – September 26, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Honestly as far as the friend and the daughter are concerned only one thing irked me. The kid kept saying “This is boring.” The mom only responded when Mindy said something. I can’t stand mothers like that. Yes, Mindy’s respond was not kid friendly but obviously Mindy is off her rocker. I totally agree with you about Mindy being unlikeable.

Comment by tp – September 26, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I generally have been thinking that TVLINE and other reviewers (EW, looking at you) were on crack saying this is the strongest comedy debuting this season. I could only watch about 15 minutes and there was just nothing there. How are reviewers saying this is a great show, let alone the best new one of the season.

Comment by beej – September 26, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really liked it. It was funny and cute. I’ll watch.

Comment by Jon – September 26, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show!! I didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. Chris Messina is amazing, too, they did a great job with the cast – I’m sure I’ll figure it out soon enough, but is he supposed to be a romantic interest for her? They did a lot of bickering, but he seemed to be a pretty good friend in the end…

Comment by Rachel – September 26, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys raved about this and I went in with high expectations. I was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Comment by Ella – September 26, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t horrific, wasn’t great. It needs to be less erratice to really become good though. We shall see.

Comment by Danielle H – September 27, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post