Fall TV Preview: NCIS Star Says 'This Is the Year' for Tony/Ziva -- Plus: More Explosive Aftermath

When CBS’ NCIS kicks off Season 10 tonight at 8/7c, from the debris of the Navy yard bombing will rise something many fans have waited for.

But first, a SPOILER ALERT, because this preview simply cannot avoid revealing who all survived the explosion – not that the well-reported re-signing of several cast members over the summer left anything up in the air.

“That’s just the nature of the business,” showrunner Gary Glasberg shrugs when asked about Michael Weatherly, Sean Murray, Pauley Perrette and David McCallum each making headlines by inking new deals, effectively affirming their characters’ mortality. “All I can do creatively is tell the best stories I can tell and make it work.”

RELATED | Michael Weatherly: NCIS‘ ‘Best Season Ever’ Boasts Lando Calrissian and ‘a Lot of [Spoiler]‘

And one story Glasberg has on tap has been years in the percolating — and it may be time for it to boil over. As previously reported, Agents Tony DiNozzo and Ziva David, who have always managed to keep each other at arm’s length, will inch ever closer together, starting during their isolation in an elevator after the explosion, and then beyond.

“They’ve been through extraordinary circumstances together, so it doesn’t necessarily require the explosion,” Weatherly says of the catalyst for the new closeness. “There’s a real, plain-spoken, straight read between them, so they don’t have to jump through hoops. When she watches Tony does his stuff or he watches her hide behind that barricade of an Israeli assassin princess mentality, they both clock it, they know it and they can move around each other. It’s a great relationship.”

A relationship that’s on track to blossom. “This is the year. Trust me,” Weatherly tells us. “This is the year.”

Glasberg says he pulled the trigger on the new trajectory for “Tiva” after he and his team watched Weatherly and costar Cote de Pablo work through the season premiere’s elevator scenes. “The consensus was to do that more of that this season, to peel back some layers and find little moments — and [ever since then] we’re finding opportunities I think the Tony and Ziva fans will really enjoy.”

RELATED | We’ve Seen the NCIS Season Premiere: 11 Quick Observations

For a procedural entering its 10th season, the time may be right to travel down that road. Besides, doesn’t Glasberg kind of owe “Tiva” fans that much? “I do, don’t I?” he responds with a wink. “And believe me, we think about that – about where we are in the arc of the series. It’s time, so let’s see what we can do.”

For Gibbs and the entirety of his “family,” however, the reverberations of Harper Dearing’s attack on their back yard promise to be sobering.

VIDEO | NCIS Season 10 Premiere Promo Packs an Emotional Punch

The Season 10 premiere picks up two hours after Vance’s car was bombed, and despite all those spoilery contract re-signings, the aftermath “is more significant than I think a lot of people thought it was going to be,” Glasberg promises. “There are casualties, there are injuries…. It really rocks their world and it will emotionally carry over the trauma of it throughout the season.”

For Gibbs (played by Mark Harmon), “This is his family, and nobody messes with the family,” Glasberg reminds, “so this becomes very personal between him and Harper Dearing (Richard Schiff). A line was crossed by bringing that bomb onto the Navy yard, and Gibbs will deal with things in his own way.”

Others at NCIS will deal with the aftermath partly with the help of a crisis counselor (Crossing Jordan‘s Steve Valentine) who shows up next week. Abby, for one, will suffer nightmares after the ordeal, so “Gibbs sort of helps her reach out to her brother in helping her get through that.”

Ducky, meanwhile, “has to take a mandatory step backwards” after his heart attack scare “and figure out what his role is going to be” moving forward. That in turn tees up an “eye-opening experience for Palmer (newly promoted series regular Brian Dietzen), who really has to step up his game,” says Glasberg. “I’m very pleased with the way that [story] is unfolding.”

As for McGee, the premiere plants a seed for the possible introduction of the character’s elusive father. “It won’t happen until the later part of the season, but I think were going to get into a little more of the McGee family,” Glasberg teases. “Sean [Murray]‘s always game to tackle whatever we throw at him, so yeah, we’ll scratch a little deeper, absolutely.”

Fans of TV’s most watched drama series can also expect the “extended NCIS family” to be sprinkled throughout Season 10, including Ralph Waite (in an episode introducing Leroy Jethro’s namesake, played by Star Wars‘ Billy Dee Williams), Robert Wagner (expected to return as Anthony DiNozzo Sr. for a Christmas episode) and Michael Nouri (likely reprising his role as Eli David early in the new year).

1. katmandu says:

I think the poll speaks for itself. And,this poll is consistent with all others I have seen (and have been seeing for years now). The fans want this and while there is a small but vocal (and hateful) contingency that doesn’t want it, that goes for any romantic pairing on the show and TPTB take that into acct. They especially aren’t going to listen all the lies, rumors, and hate being spouted here. The anti’s lost all credibility with TPTB when they moved into personal attacks. And yes, I KNOW – these polls aren’t scientific, but they ARE a good indicator or what the fans want and they are consistent, so despite their not being scientific, they have credence. Besides, if the poll was going your way…. you would be spouting it from the rooftops. Give it up! The showrunner has said he is going there – and he is the one in charge! If you can’t get with the program, then use your remote. Based on what I am seeing – a 9% reduction in viewers isn’t even going to raise an eyebrow. Me and the other 85% of viewers won’t miss you and we certainly won’t miss you dividing the fandom with lies, rumor and hearsay.

• anna says:

If fans were only able to vote once, no matter WHAT the subject matter, the poll would have validity. If fans can vote multiple times, then the poll results are garbage – again, no matter what the subject matter.
      GG will go in whatever direction the advertisers & network brass want him to go with the show. It doesn’t matter what the fans or cast want or don’t want.
      As far as losing all credibility, I think the pro-tiva contingent lost a great deal of respect from cast & crew everytime they crashed the set during fanfest or whenever they were filming on location.

• katmandu says:

you can only vote once in this poll – I just tried to vote again to test your theory and guess what – couldn’t do it. And the networks actually employ people to find out what the fans want, because fans = viewers and viewers = ratings and ratings = revenue. At the end of the day, NCIS is a business and the minute it stops making $ for the network, it is gone. They aren’t going to base millions of dollars of advertising revenue on a whim. They know what they are doing, just so happens that GG and the network want the same things. And I am not even going to address the rumor you just spouted, because that’s all you have in your arsenal: rumor, lies, speculation, etc. No one believes you. You guys are like piranhas on a feeding frenzy, you are only feeding off each other, everyone else sees right through you. As Tiva gets closer to happening, you are only going to get more desperate, more hateful and more vile and I actually (almost) feel sorry for you as you are fighting a losing battle. You aren’t going to change anyone’s minds about Ziva or Tiva. Both are here to stay and I repeat, if you can’t deal with that fact, then change the channel. I guarantee you no one will miss you. Go ahead, test me on that. I dare you.

• Rosebud says:

Are you talking about what anna said about fans crashing the set during fanfest? Because if you are then she is right. I heard about it from one of the people that was running/promoting it. (Fanfest)

• Rosebud says:

P.S. I just tried to vote for the second time and it let me do it. Hmmm….interesting.

• Elle says:

Of course you can vote several times, but you get this message: “Thank you, we have already counted your vote.” so it doesn’t count. The people running this website aren’t stupid, they know what they’re doing. Stop trying to make people think otherwise just because you cannot accept the results.

• Anna says:

Funny…I never got a message like that when I went to vote a 2nd time, Elle….

________________________________

• Rosebud says:

@ Elle Like anna, I never got that message. I just tried voting again to make sure and nope, no message. And btw…I only commented about the voting because I got a different response than you. There was really no need for the extra comment that you made. Whether or not you meant it, it came across as kind of disrespectful. What does it matter to you if I believe the results or not? In my experiance with on-line polls they are rarely the type that only lets you vote once per IP address thus making them inaccurate.

If I really thought that I had that much influance over people, I’d go into politics. LOL!

• Peter Armstrong says:

So that’s Ducky now 80, Gibbs now 61, DeNozzo now 44, Abi now 43, McGee 35 in Nov and Ziva 33 in Nov.How does Abi NOT look her age?

2. Very happy to see that some real progress might be made on the TIVA front.
    And after reading some of the comments on here, am considering ordering a necklace like the one Pauley Perrette’s that says “haters gotta hate” and wear it as a talisman.

3. guest says:

I vote yea beause I WANT Tiva to happen, but my hopes are usually dashed. Glasberg’s hints don’t always pan out and Michael can’t always be taken completely seriously lol!

• Peter Armstrong says:

Of course if Michael Weatherley of NYC (44) really got married to Cote de Pablo (33) of Santiago, Chile in real life he would be marrying Maria Jose de Pablo Fernandez. Instead of publishing the Banns of Marriage, he’d be publishing the Weatherley Report.

4. Candee says:

The chemistry between Tony and Ziva is what drew me to NCIS! Hot! Hot! Hot :)

5. Stephanie says:

Oh my, all these goodies in one article? How did they know it’s my birthday this week?
    Seriously, this is making me very, VERY excited about this season, and I’m not just talking about Tiva finally getting off the ground. This is all very promising stuff. :D

6. Hill says:

Wow! Many very emotional people here. I watch NCIS maily to watch Ziva. Cote de Pablo is the best looking actress on TV. I’m not impressed with the writings of NCIS though. I think “Person of Interest” is a much better show, jmho.

7. Hill says:

Oh, forgot to say .. I voted for Tiva :)

8. katt says:

Tiva should never happen. I hope they only become closer in friendship and realize that’s all it can ever be. It would be nice to talk over the things that happened in the past and clear the air. I don’t want the show turned into it all being about them. I want crime stories not mush.Tony and Ziva may have some feelings for each other but they aren’t suited personality wise. It takes more than sexual tension to keep a relationship alive. Tony is too childish and needs to grow up, and Ziva has also become a bit too soft.

9. Bob Haiskey says:

Sounds promising. I was beginning to get a little concerned that Tony was now reconciled with his father and had pretty much gotten over all his past “fire” problems and emotional issues. Ziva was now changed to a “vanilla” character. Gibbs appeared as if he was preparing for his final season. God bless her but Abby will always be a 15 year old in a 50 year old body. Now these “spoilers ” get me at least feeling that the writers are trying to change things up. I’m hoping that NCIS keeps me laughing and also keeps me at the edge of my seat. They have so much talent. Hopefully this year the writing equals the talent.

10. marisol says:

well, since the majority of fans agree with me already – all I have to say is “Tiva! Tiva! Tiva!”

11. Cindy says:

A couple of years ago I would have said absolutly no tiva but I really have to agree with Glasberg that it’s time. They have closed every single open question that we had about the main characters. I guess I just have been thirsty for some more “on the edge” themes like season 6. While I was mad at certain characters for their questionable loyalty I also was so intrigued with the show I couldn’t miss it. I was really hoping that something intriging happened last year. It seemed to be more of a closure season. Well it’s great to know that everything is great with Tony now and Ziva is a loyal American and Gibbs has gotten over the death of his daughter and wife. I do still want some spice in my tv. I’m glad to know that the writers still have some ideas in their hats.

12. AngelMoon Girl says:

I AM CRYING OF HAPPINESS RIGHT NOW.
    Do. You. Know. Just. HOW. LONG. I. Have. Waited. For. Tiva!?
    For a while I was scared NCIS was going to put those two on the back burner until the end of the series; I am SO glad that is not the case, because I want to SEE their relationship come to fruition! They are actually moving slowly forward, I love it!
    SO EXCITED! Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly will NAIL this; they have SO much chemistry!

13. maggie says:

I’m glad to hear all of the comments by GG, and MW. They both seem enthusiastic about the Tiva progression! So am I!

14. SAM says:

Nice to see you got your computer fixed Anna.

15. T&Z says:

Even if I don’t mind the wait…… YAY for tiva goodness!

16. John says:

Ugh please no Tony/Ziva stuff producers. just because Castle brought two of their characters together, doesn’t mean NCIS has to follow suit.

17. SAM says:

No, they don’t have to follow suit. But they will.

18. Gaara says:

Well yesterday episode was awesome, like I knew it would be and more *__* Maybe people should complain less, relax a little and enjoy our show, since we are so lucky to have it.

19. yen35 says:

It was a great premier and I am so happy that Tiva are going to move forward.

20. ILoveCoffeeeee says:

Tiva all the way

21. Shane says:

While I obviously don’t support ‘Tiva’ because it’s simply unnecessary, I do support all you shippers finally shutting the hell up about it, so if this is what it takes, whatever. Fortunately, I think the writing and acting is strong enough that it won’t really affect the quality.

• SAM says:

Shane, this is what I have said all along and why I have supported Tiva. You are absolutely right, the writing and acting is strong enough that it won’t affect the quality of the show at all. It’s nice to see that TPTB for both the show and the network also share this belief.

22. silencero says:

So 86% for Tiva. Conidering 86% also wanted EJ gone and she is gone the odds are in our favor.

23. Wanda Hudgins says:

Ncis has been &I still is my favorite show.I too quit after CSI never really developed any of my fav.characters lives.I love love love GIBBS &I the team.I have been glad we finally got to start peeling some of HIS layers back,&I get to know HIM.I LIKED HIM MATCHING WITS WITH Jamie Lee.she understood him n knee how to start getting to the man GIBBS.THEIR CHEMISTRY WAS GREAT N THEIR TOE TO TOE BANTER N HER FRUSTRATING HIM!”I I DON’T WANT THE TEAM CHANGED I LOVE ALL OF THEM.I LOVE THE STORIES N WHO THEY ARE AFTER.THEY’VE MANAGED TO KEEP WRITING GOOD STORIES(CRIMES TO SOLVE)& START SHOWING US SOMETHING ABOUT THE CHARACTERS .FINALLY WE’RE GETTING TO KNOW EACH ONE BETTER N BETTER AS TIME GOES ON.IF GIBBS LEFT IT’D BE OVER HE IS THE GLUE TO THE WHOLE SHOW.I LIVE DIVA TONY MCGEE DUCKY PALMER & VANCE & OF COURSE “ABS”.JUST DON’T CHANGE THE TEAM AND KEEP GOING FULL SPEED AHEAD! Y’ALL SOUND LIKE ITS THE TONY SHOW. I LOVE HIM TOP BUT GIBBS IS WELL GIBBS.THE TEAM MAKES IT ALL.I LOOK FORWARD TO EACH SHOW.I WATCH THE MARATHONS,ETC. NEVER DID THAT TILL GIBBS & CO.APPEARED!

24. Tallulah says:

I haven’t watched this show in a while. I really liked Tiva, but I’ve been told the entire thing is a bit dodgy now. I dunno. Ha, now I think on it, if they really get together or something I may have to go back and watch everything since season 6 or whenever I dwindled out…

25. SAM says:

Nice to see that you finally appreciate my humor Anna. There may be hope for you yet.

26. Rosebud says:

Just found this article…funny to read it *after* the premier! I guess all the tiva fans didn’t get the big “moment” they were all sure was going to happen in the elevator. ;-) How CBS and tptb could even entertain the *idea* of a relationship between these two is…well…scary! I know a lot of people don’t want to admit it but Tony has been a victim of abuse with the abuser being ziva.

How anyone can think that her constant put-downs and cutting remarks (made to and about Tony) are a sign of affection and that they “belong together” is beyond me. My brother was a victim of abuse from his ex-wife, mostly verbal/emotional, but once we got him away from her, he finally admitted that she had pointed a gun at him during an argument once. Sound familiar? If the CBS/TPTB *DO* end up going this route, I will start a campaign against them, showing that they promote/approve of domestic violence.

• silencero says:

Sorry but you are kinda late to troll. Next time ;)

• Rosebud says:

So, because I didn’t comment on this article until now (because I didn’t see it until today) I am trolling? Oh yeah, typical comment from you. Yes, I know who you are from the CBS forums. Why am I not entitled to my opinion? Because it isn’t the same as yours? *sigh*

• silencero says:

Why am I not entiltled to my opinion? Because it isn´t the same as yours? (See what I did there?). Like usual, you just want to start an argument for no reason, troll. Not going to happen. Not with Anna, not with you. But I´m giving you a 4 out of 10.

• Anna says:

Oh Martin cut it out already… Rosebud is as entitled to post her opinion on the article at this point as you are (notice you’re still posting comments at this ‘late date’…does that mean what you accused someone else of doing – you’re trolling for arguments?)

________________________________

27. Ed says:

I’m pretty sure that a Tony-Ziva relationship would be against the NCIS regs. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen. After all, there WAS the fact that Abs and McGee dated in the first years. If they do it, I think it should be low-key and mostly off-job, like Abs and Tim were. Doesn’t mean there can’t be a longing glance or a quick kiss. The lower key the matter is, the better it will be.

28. PegLegPlowing says:

Tony/Diva=jump the shark. Remember Who’s the Boss? We don’t want to lose this show. McGee/Abby ok. Tony & Kate maybe would have worked. Your going to ruin the show.

29. Amanda Allan says:

I just need to know when season 10 is coming to the UK……..no sign of it yet and am getting desperate!!

30. Peter Armstrong says:

‘Bout time it came to Britain. There are fans of NCIS here as well. The only good thing to come out of FX.The only clue we have is David McCallum signing up for another 2 years.

31. Arlene Jackson says:

Aw. Come on. If they get together, where will the tension between them go? That was so much part of the fun.

32. Jessica Valure says:

Awesome can’t wait I’m glad that finally we’ll get somewhere with these 2 and as long as the show still remains what its supposed to be all about just because someone gets together in any show does not mean it will be all about their romance and nothing else just like in CSI Miami when Eric and Calleigh got together they still did their job and the show was still excellent but only difference for me is if Tony and Ziva do get together don’t break them up just like they did in Miami

33. mickey says:

ncis is brillant i love the show the cast are amazing i hope it continues for many more seasons good on you ncis creators thankyou for making a great show

34. mickey says:

love ncis

35. megan says:

I cant wait for jaunuray beacause then i will be i able to see the new season beacause i live in the uk

36. Juli says:

Isn’t therea rule about dating your co-worker. I think Tony and Ziva are great together BUT AS GREAT PARTNERS ONLY!!

37. malissa says:

Alot of u think the show will end when ziva and tony get together it want I just know it want so many people think it will be a repeat of jag and moonligt that was the past look at castle,bones and covert affairs I think it will work and go on to have many more seasons I think tony needs ziva in his life she is different from all the other women he has dated he need that change and so do she ziva needs a man like tony someone who loves her for who she is

38. Dulren Logonza says:

Excelente serie si a tiva

39. Bob says:

I would like Tony and Ziva to try and have relationship with each other, it dosent even have to work out. But, this is not the time to do so. You can slowly peel back their walls, but don’t get them together just yet. Tony is in to much of an emotional state. And Ziva….. just is not Ziva right now. If anything a relationship with these two right now would be a disaster. Both of them are trying to figure things out. The one thing that is really bothering me is the fact that co-workers can’t date. It is a real rule, and one of Gibbs rules. So how could they get together without sneaking around.. (Like in Castle)

40. Bob says:

Also.. How will they make it different to any other tv show romance… Like in Bones,CSI,Castle and countless other shows

41. susan says:

WHAT IS THE BIG HOOPLA ABOUT???? They are together all the time and bantor back and forth anyway! I LOVE TIVA!! They should let them be married on this show! They will still be professionals and it wouldn’t take away any chararacters story line. I LOVE THEM ALL!! TONY AND ZIVA NEED TO BE ENGAGED AND THEN MARRIED.

42. First time that I read these comments. Wow what a lot of Twaddle. People wake up
    it’s a brilliant TV show but that’s it. Get a life. They are only actors playing a role.

43. What a lovely story! The tale in this YouTube video that is posted at this place is in fact a pleasant one with having pleasant picture feature.