Fall TV Preview

CBS' Vegas: Will You Pay a Return Visit?

As Premiere Week entered Night 2 this Tuesday, CBS took viewers on a trip to circa-1960s Vegas, where sheriff-turned-rancher Ralph Lamb (played by Dennis Quaid) was lassoed back into the law enforcement biz to solve the murder of a casino worker.

Lamb’s “temporarily” revived career put him on a crash course with Vincent Savino (The Shield‘s Michael Chiklis), a Chicago mobster looking to claim a generous piece of the ever-growing Las Vegas pie.

Along the way, as the very different alpha males locked horns, we met Ralph’s brother/ersatz deputy Jack (Terra Nova‘s Jason O’Mara) and ADA Katherine O’Connell (The Matrix‘s Carrie-Anne Moss). Next week, Sarah Jones (Sons of Anarchy) joins the cast as Mia Rizzo, a mobster’s daughter who is put in charge of skimming profits at Savino’s casino.

The addition of Jones, I want to think, is Vegas‘ way of addressing what I, upon viewing the pilot over the summer, worried was a liability: Yes, Harrison Ford Quaid, Chiklis, Moss and O’Mara make for a damn fine cast, but save for the lad playing Lamb’s son, there’s no one here under 40. And on a 1) CBS 2) drama that is 3) set in 1960, you’re begging to be saddled with a sorrowful demo rating. Meaning, as promising and finely made a drama as this may be, pulling the wrong kind of numbers makes for lousy odds out of the gate.

But what did you think of Vegas, those who didn’t tune into Parenthood, Private Practice or Sons of Anarchy? Vote in our poll and share your thoughts in comments.

Tags: ,

Comments (66)

• It was…okay. Felt a little forced. Looked good. A bit boring. Also not really my thing, so no.

Comment by Tallulah – September 25, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bleh. Didn’t like it at all. Won’t be watching again, that’s for damn sure. Shame because I really like Michael Chiklis.

Comment by Mark – September 25, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little slow but had to meet all parties. I wi gv it a few shows.

Comment by donna – September 25, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is how we felt. We looked forward to it but also realize that with most new series, you need a few episodes to meet everyone and have the basic plot established. The fact that it is based on true events makes it more interesting to me. We will give it a few more rounds before we switch the channel. :)

Comment by Kim R – September 26, 2012 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will give it another chance since I really like he main actors. If it where FOX I’d say, NAY,but for CBS, it may worth the try once more.

Comment by tahina – September 25, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • isn’t rancher turned sheriff? waiting to see how second episode goes to make up my mind.

Comment by amyche8 – September 25, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve noticed CBS doesn’t necessarily discount the over 50 demo. I noticed the average age of the cast too but did you happen to check out the commercials–definitely aimed at the older age demo. I think CBS wants the older demo for this show–there’s a lot of money to be made.

Comment by Ally Oop – September 25, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, there isn’t. Advertisers on network TV don’t pay for the 50+ crowd. And CBS makes its renewal decisions the same way the other networks do: which shows do best with the 18-49 demo.

Comment by Alex – September 25, 2012 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think advertisers should start paying more attention what with “boomers” all heading to or in that older age range. I say Kudos to CBS. Why does every show have to be about some young hot 20-35 somethings. I think this show may surprise.

Comment by kirads09 – September 26, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with everything you said. I am one of those “boomers”. I buy cars, I need new clothes, I eat out at restaurants, so why wouldn’t companies want to advertise their products to me? I’m thinking there might be a lot of “boomers” like me who think the same way. What first attracted me to this series is that it takes place in 1960. I was only 4 years old at the time, but that’s the decade I spent my childhood in. I liked growing up in those years so of course I enjoy watching shows from that decade. Last year I got hooked on “Pan Am” and was crushed when it wasn’t renewed. I hope it won’t happen again with “Vegas”. Let’s give this show a chance.

Comment by Sunnyangel – September 27, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The 18-49 demo is losing it’s relevance, as the majority of people are moving out of that age bracket, and they are the ones with the money and security. CBS’s success is a testament to that.

Comment by suzi – September 26, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The problem with focusing on the 18-49 demo is that a good portion of people in this age group watch shows online. I think tv advertisers would do well to vary their focus and include other demographics.

Comment by Jess/Skye (@CrashandBurn9) – September 26, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. I reminded me quite a bit of Longmire, and Dennis Quaid simply kicks ass. I loved it when he decked the biker! LOL!!!!!

Comment by ragincajun – September 25, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Longmire is exactly what I thought of!! Quaid and Taylor have the same vibe.

Comment by PJL – September 25, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes i too thought it was logmire lite,thought MC should be the cop not the crook

Comment by Mad Hobbit – September 26, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree – LOVE Longmire and I think Vegas has the potential to be great. It’s nit just another CSI-type drama. I appreciate that CBS is trying something different and unique. Plus, they’ve stocked it with great actors!!

Comment by Barbie – September 26, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except it IS yet another procedural. Just wrapped in a nicer package.

Comment by Eli – September 27, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This was my reaction. There’s even a Native American character who helps Lamb with stuff like identifying tire tracks, lol.

Comment by Sareeta – September 26, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its my kind of show so i loved it,

Comment by stephen – September 25, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF was up with the way Carrie-Ann Moss walked? It looked like she’d never worn high heels before.

This show is a goner despite two strong male leads. It’s The Playboy Club all over again.

Comment by TMW – September 25, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is Bow Legged so her gait is always a little awkward. She still looked great though.

Comment by Sam – September 26, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it, Will be watching it again week after week, I’m 40, but my kids are 12, two 13 year olds, and my hubby all loved it. I know its going to start getting really interesting, love Dennis Quaid and the hole cast. Good things are about to start happening, can’t waite till next week, and the next, and the next !!!!!!! Keep it coming !!!!!

Comment by Tracy Clayton – September 25, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well as you mentioned Sarah Jones joins the show next week as the crime boss daughter. This will lead to a season long back story of Law’s son and Crime’s daughter having a secret relationship that will be revealed either towards the end of the season or in the season 1 finale. The finale will be some sort of cliff hanger based around the relationship.

Comment by Travis – September 25, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God I hope not. I sighed while watching the overused scene with Lambs son running from a woman’s house who he just slept with while being chased by her husband. Jason O’Mara was reduced to sidekick, I hope they give him more to do. Carrie-Anne Moss was stunning, it was nice to see her again in something new. Quaid and Chiklis were solid as usual.

Comment by Todd – September 27, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hated it. But it’s tailor made for CBS’ older audience and I’m not part of that.

Comment by Joe – September 25, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Quaid but show a little slow. Will give it another week or two. Hope it picks up the pace.

Comment by Cindy – September 25, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t even realize it was on tonight.Is that bad?lol

Comment by Shaun – September 25, 2012 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a 22-year-old viewer, it didn’t seem too old for me – but it just seemed too, well, CBS. I came into this show with the impression that it would be more than a regular procedural, but the pilot made it seem like CSI: 1960.

Comment by Andie – September 25, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I can tell you that this won’t change. The show will keep following the usual murder-case-of-the-week premise.

Comment by Eli – September 27, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it and can’t wait for the next. I hear they just get better and better!

Comment by Michael Wiseman – September 25, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not often watch broadcast at 10pm , but opted to watch VEGAS , and it was solid.
    Not sure if I would want to see more then 13 episodes a season though.

Comment by Joseph Angelo – September 25, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1960′s Las Vegas AND NO ONE IS SMOKING??? Gangsters are too soft. I’m all about Las Vegas shows but you lost me.

Comment by Gabriel O – September 26, 2012 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch parenthood on nbc its way better than this and its private practice last year so hopefully parenthood gets more viewers so it won’t get cancelled

Comment by tiffanie – September 26, 2012 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does Parenthood have to do with this show???? Seriously….

Comment by JULES – September 26, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They share the timeslot.

Comment by Andie – September 26, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I recorded vegas and parenthood and think parenthood is way better so for people that didn’t like vegas is why I brought up parenthood since they come on at same time

Comment by tiffanie – September 27, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Serious!!!! Was offering my pick of the better show and didn’t think I would offend you so sorry!

Comment by tiffanie – September 27, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t have to choose. I love Parenthood. That show is great. But this show is something completely different, and I will add it to my dvr viewing. Even if you don’t have a dvr. Watch one online and other live. I am tuning in again. Dennis Quaid is an amazing actor.

Comment by Sandris – September 27, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had a hard time staying interested, and Quaid seemed to have the same scowl throughout. No, I won’t be back. Loved Carrie-Anne Moss, though!

Comment by jen – September 26, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Carrie-Anne too. The show was extremely boring though.

Comment by Sam – September 26, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to like it… but not sure yet. I will give it another few episodes since I love Chiklis so much. On another note- I miss The Shield :(

Comment by JULES – September 26, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little slow need more action some more youg people and this is the sixtys and I did not see one person smoking but plenty of drinking make it real

Comment by John Moshier – September 26, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it, but I wish Dennis Quaid would smile more because he’s got such a pretty one. :) The show is a bit testosterone-heavy, but it’s interesting and refreshing. It’s nice to see “old-fashioned” detective work sans cell phones, DNA, etc.

(For what it’s worth, I’m in the 18-49 demo…)

Comment by song4ten – September 26, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the beginning of Vegas then deleted it because I’m not really interested in 1960′s Vegas and I needed to make room for the Castle-thon on TNT today.

Comment by Velvet – September 26, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish “Las Vegas” hadn’t ended the series on a huge cliffhanger in 2008. That was the biggest let down ever.

Comment by Velvet – September 26, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Frakkin’ writers strike jacked everything.

Comment by Velvet – September 26, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really enjoyed it and will continue to tune in (I’m also in the 18-49 demo).

Comment by Jess/Skye (@CrashandBurn9) – September 26, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a under 30 :P and enjoyed it. I didn’t “love” it but I do want to keep watching. Ralph Lamb has a Walt Longmire/Indiana Jones (grumpy old guy who is more comfortable working than socializing) vibe; Vincent Savino is the stand out character, though. He’s not completely evil, but he’s not a saint either. There’s a lot of talent, so I hope the supporting cast gets stuff to do as the series goes on.

Comment by Sareeta – September 26, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the show and will continue to watch. I am looking forward to episodes that will have more storyline for Jack Lamb (Jason O’Mara.). I am in the 18-49 demo.

Comment by Packergirl – September 26, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My wife and I enjoyed the show. The cast is dynamic and great. Looking forward to next episode. We’re in the over 70 demo!

Comment by J.T. – September 26, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they give Vegas a chance! I think it’ll be one of the best on television, especially among so few good shows.

Comment by Rita Higgins – September 27, 2012 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I noticed some glaring lack of reality in the show. First, a rancher gallops his horse full speed across the tarmac of a airport. You dont run a horse on a hard surface like that. Second, its 1960 in Vegas, in a casino, at a casino party, and not one person is smoking? At that time I would estimate that 60-70% of the people smoked. I like D. Quaid as an actor, but the character seemed a little beyond belief, too many forced scowells and tough guy looks. Also, why is everything so dark? Seems like lighting isnt quite right, leaving the picture kind of looking washed out or gloomy.
    I dont see this making it to another season.

Comment by b cox – September 27, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Remember when the son was running from the house and a piss-off husband was shooting at him? Notice the sidewalks? No easements. Most typical neigborhoods during that time had easements. That show is filmed out here in Santa Clarita, Ca and most neigborhoods have just plain sidewalks. Kudos to b cox for noticing the lack of smoking in the casinos.

Comment by Ruben Borrero – September 27, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire is a better show. The actress that plays “Vic” has a nice (_!_)

Comment by Ruben Borrero – September 27, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I caught a very heavy Longmire vibe, down to the already mentioned Native American tracker character. I think long more feels more grounded – and as much as I like most of the cast individually, I don’t think this will be on the schedule. and agreed Re: Katee Sackhoff.

Comment by J. L. – September 30, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could only give this an OK because there are cars made much later than 1960 that appear in the show, c mon CBS, how hard could it be to get actual cars made from 1960 or earlier.
    I am a big fan of Quaid but sadly this show does not live up to him.

Comment by Ken – October 9, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn! I must be used to HBO an Showtime! Didn’t anybody else notice the awful wig and costumes on the casino boss’s daughter? I so want this to get better and edgier..I so like Dennis Quaid and Michael Chiklas (sp?) but maybe it’s because it’s CBS or they haven’t a decent budget but damn! The whole thing kinda has a chintzy feel to it!! Please give these guys a bigger budget! It has a glimmer of a really good show!

Comment by Darcy cole – October 10, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like her wig….wish my hair would do that….couldn’t wear a wig though.

Comment by pwvegas – January 13, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show, hope it last after reading everyone else’s comments. Tired of these sitcoms for people in their 20/30 age group. This is like Blue Bloods, look forward to next show.

Comment by Susie Hicks – November 29, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Dennis Quaid. He is so cute ut I do not like the sour look on his face in Vegas. His character needs to laugh and e more emotional and for gid sakes smile The DQ smile is so sexy and makes his characters more appealing. Give him a love interest and show he has more feekings for his son and brother. I know Lamb is tough but the can also make him a little more sessitive.

Comment by michelle morgan – January 2, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband, daughter and I look forward to watching Vegas each week. We really like Quaid, his brother and son along with the story line of those three guys. We also really like Chilis with the story line of the Chicago mob and I wouldn’t doubt that much of that went on back then.. We can not wait for the next episode.
    Comment by rswitty1 – February 26, 2013 Reply to this post

Comment by Sharon – February 26, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show especially the cars of the 60,s Really like the assortment of situations going on at the same time Fantastic !

Comment by Frank Grasha – February 27, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We love this show, please bring it back in the fall.

Comment by taz693227% – April 5, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this show And my son saw it for the fist time last night He is hooked ! This is a fantastic idea of going back to the 60,s Love the street scenes with the old cars Back when cars were way more than just tranportation !!

Comment by Frank Grasha – April 6, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good show need to bring it back for more now that we know characters

Comment by Marty Cline – August 13, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post