CBS' Vegas: Will You Pay a Return Visit?

As Premiere Week entered Night 2 this Tuesday, CBS took viewers on a trip to circa-1960s Vegas, where sheriff-turned-rancher Ralph Lamb (played by Dennis Quaid) was lassoed back into the law enforcement biz to solve the murder of a casino worker.

Lamb’s “temporarily” revived career put him on a crash course with Vincent Savino (The Shield‘s Michael Chiklis), a Chicago mobster looking to claim a generous piece of the ever-growing Las Vegas pie.

Along the way, as the very different alpha males locked horns, we met Ralph’s brother/ersatz deputy Jack (Terra Nova‘s Jason O’Mara) and ADA Katherine O’Connell (The Matrix‘s Carrie-Anne Moss). Next week, Sarah Jones (Sons of Anarchy) joins the cast as Mia Rizzo, a mobster’s daughter who is put in charge of skimming profits at Savino’s casino.

The addition of Jones, I want to think, is Vegas‘ way of addressing what I, upon viewing the pilot over the summer, worried was a liability: Yes, Harrison Ford Quaid, Chiklis, Moss and O’Mara make for a damn fine cast, but save for the lad playing Lamb’s son, there’s no one here under 40. And on a 1) CBS 2) drama that is 3) set in 1960, you’re begging to be saddled with a sorrowful demo rating. Meaning, as promising and finely made a drama as this may be, pulling the wrong kind of numbers makes for lousy odds out of the gate.

But what did you think of Vegas, those who didn’t tune into Parenthood, Private Practice or Sons of Anarchy? Vote in our poll and share your thoughts in comments.

1. Tallulah says:

It was…okay. Felt a little forced. Looked good. A bit boring. Also not really my thing, so no.

2. Mark says:

Bleh. Didn’t like it at all. Won’t be watching again, that’s for damn sure. Shame because I really like Michael Chiklis.

3. donna says:

A little slow but had to meet all parties. I wi gv it a few shows.

• Kim R says:

This is how we felt. We looked forward to it but also realize that with most new series, you need a few episodes to meet everyone and have the basic plot established. The fact that it is based on true events makes it more interesting to me. We will give it a few more rounds before we switch the channel. :)

4. tahina says:

I will give it another chance since I really like he main actors. If it where FOX I’d say, NAY,but for CBS, it may worth the try once more.

5. amyche8 says:

isn’t rancher turned sheriff? waiting to see how second episode goes to make up my mind.

6. Ally Oop says:

I’ve noticed CBS doesn’t necessarily discount the over 50 demo. I noticed the average age of the cast too but did you happen to check out the commercials–definitely aimed at the older age demo. I think CBS wants the older demo for this show–there’s a lot of money to be made.

• Alex says:

No, there isn’t. Advertisers on network TV don’t pay for the 50+ crowd. And CBS makes its renewal decisions the same way the other networks do: which shows do best with the 18-49 demo.

• kirads09 says:

I think advertisers should start paying more attention what with “boomers” all heading to or in that older age range. I say Kudos to CBS. Why does every show have to be about some young hot 20-35 somethings. I think this show may surprise.

• Sunnyangel says:

I agree with everything you said. I am one of those “boomers”. I buy cars, I need new clothes, I eat out at restaurants, so why wouldn’t companies want to advertise their products to me? I’m thinking there might be a lot of “boomers” like me who think the same way. What first attracted me to this series is that it takes place in 1960. I was only 4 years old at the time, but that’s the decade I spent my childhood in. I liked growing up in those years so of course I enjoy watching shows from that decade. Last year I got hooked on “Pan Am” and was crushed when it wasn’t renewed. I hope it won’t happen again with “Vegas”. Let’s give this show a chance.

• suzi says:

The 18-49 demo is losing it’s relevance, as the majority of people are moving out of that age bracket, and they are the ones with the money and security. CBS’s success is a testament to that.

• The problem with focusing on the 18-49 demo is that a good portion of people in this age group watch shows online. I think tv advertisers would do well to vary their focus and include other demographics.

7. ragincajun says:

I loved it. I reminded me quite a bit of Longmire, and Dennis Quaid simply kicks ass. I loved it when he decked the biker! LOL!!!!!

8. stephen says:

Its my kind of show so i loved it,

9. TMW says:

WTF was up with the way Carrie-Ann Moss walked? It looked like she’d never worn high heels before.

This show is a goner despite two strong male leads. It’s The Playboy Club all over again.

10. Tracy Clayton says:

Loved it, Will be watching it again week after week, I’m 40, but my kids are 12, two 13 year olds, and my hubby all loved it. I know its going to start getting really interesting, love Dennis Quaid and the hole cast. Good things are about to start happening, can’t waite till next week, and the next, and the next !!!!!!! Keep it coming !!!!!

11. Travis says:

Well as you mentioned Sarah Jones joins the show next week as the crime boss daughter. This will lead to a season long back story of Law’s son and Crime’s daughter having a secret relationship that will be revealed either towards the end of the season or in the season 1 finale. The finale will be some sort of cliff hanger based around the relationship.

• Todd says:

God I hope not. I sighed while watching the overused scene with Lambs son running from a woman’s house who he just slept with while being chased by her husband. Jason O’Mara was reduced to sidekick, I hope they give him more to do. Carrie-Anne Moss was stunning, it was nice to see her again in something new. Quaid and Chiklis were solid as usual.

12. Joe says:

Hated it. But it’s tailor made for CBS’ older audience and I’m not part of that.

13. Cindy says:

Love Quaid but show a little slow. Will give it another week or two. Hope it picks up the pace.

14. Shaun says:

I didn’t even realize it was on tonight.Is that bad?lol

15. Andie says:

As a 22-year-old viewer, it didn’t seem too old for me – but it just seemed too, well, CBS. I came into this show with the impression that it would be more than a regular procedural, but the pilot made it seem like CSI: 1960.

16. Michael Wiseman says:

I loved it and can’t wait for the next. I hear they just get better and better!

17. I do not often watch broadcast at 10pm , but opted to watch VEGAS , and it was solid.
    Not sure if I would want to see more then 13 episodes a season though.

18. Gabriel O says:

1960′s Las Vegas AND NO ONE IS SMOKING??? Gangsters are too soft. I’m all about Las Vegas shows but you lost me.

19. tiffanie says:

Watch parenthood on nbc its way better than this and its private practice last year so hopefully parenthood gets more viewers so it won’t get cancelled

20. jen says:

I had a hard time staying interested, and Quaid seemed to have the same scowl throughout. No, I won’t be back. Loved Carrie-Anne Moss, though!

21. JULES says:

I want to like it… but not sure yet. I will give it another few episodes since I love Chiklis so much. On another note- I miss The Shield :(

22. John Moshier says:

A little slow need more action some more youg people and this is the sixtys and I did not see one person smoking but plenty of drinking make it real

23. song4ten says:

I loved it, but I wish Dennis Quaid would smile more because he’s got such a pretty one. :) The show is a bit testosterone-heavy, but it’s interesting and refreshing. It’s nice to see “old-fashioned” detective work sans cell phones, DNA, etc.

(For what it’s worth, I’m in the 18-49 demo…)

24. Velvet says:

I watched the beginning of Vegas then deleted it because I’m not really interested in 1960′s Vegas and I needed to make room for the Castle-thon on TNT today.

25. Velvet says:

I wish “Las Vegas” hadn’t ended the series on a huge cliffhanger in 2008. That was the biggest let down ever.

26. I actually really enjoyed it and will continue to tune in (I’m also in the 18-49 demo).

27. Sareeta says:

I’m a under 30 :P and enjoyed it. I didn’t “love” it but I do want to keep watching. Ralph Lamb has a Walt Longmire/Indiana Jones (grumpy old guy who is more comfortable working than socializing) vibe; Vincent Savino is the stand out character, though. He’s not completely evil, but he’s not a saint either. There’s a lot of talent, so I hope the supporting cast gets stuff to do as the series goes on.

28. Packergirl says:

I enjoyed the show and will continue to watch. I am looking forward to episodes that will have more storyline for Jack Lamb (Jason O’Mara.). I am in the 18-49 demo.

29. J.T. says:

My wife and I enjoyed the show. The cast is dynamic and great. Looking forward to next episode. We’re in the over 70 demo!

30. Rita Higgins says:

I hope they give Vegas a chance! I think it’ll be one of the best on television, especially among so few good shows.

31. b cox says:

I noticed some glaring lack of reality in the show. First, a rancher gallops his horse full speed across the tarmac of a airport. You dont run a horse on a hard surface like that. Second, its 1960 in Vegas, in a casino, at a casino party, and not one person is smoking? At that time I would estimate that 60-70% of the people smoked. I like D. Quaid as an actor, but the character seemed a little beyond belief, too many forced scowells and tough guy looks. Also, why is everything so dark? Seems like lighting isnt quite right, leaving the picture kind of looking washed out or gloomy.
    I dont see this making it to another season.

• Ruben Borrero says:

Remember when the son was running from the house and a piss-off husband was shooting at him? Notice the sidewalks? No easements. Most typical neigborhoods during that time had easements. That show is filmed out here in Santa Clarita, Ca and most neigborhoods have just plain sidewalks. Kudos to b cox for noticing the lack of smoking in the casinos.

32. Ruben Borrero says:

Longmire is a better show. The actress that plays “Vic” has a nice (_!_)

• J. L. says:

I agree. I caught a very heavy Longmire vibe, down to the already mentioned Native American tracker character. I think long more feels more grounded – and as much as I like most of the cast individually, I don’t think this will be on the schedule. and agreed Re: Katee Sackhoff.

33. Ken says:

I could only give this an OK because there are cars made much later than 1960 that appear in the show, c mon CBS, how hard could it be to get actual cars made from 1960 or earlier.
    I am a big fan of Quaid but sadly this show does not live up to him.

34. Darcy cole says:

Damn! I must be used to HBO an Showtime! Didn’t anybody else notice the awful wig and costumes on the casino boss’s daughter? I so want this to get better and edgier..I so like Dennis Quaid and Michael Chiklas (sp?) but maybe it’s because it’s CBS or they haven’t a decent budget but damn! The whole thing kinda has a chintzy feel to it!! Please give these guys a bigger budget! It has a glimmer of a really good show!

35. Susie Hicks says:

I like the show, hope it last after reading everyone else’s comments. Tired of these sitcoms for people in their 20/30 age group. This is like Blue Bloods, look forward to next show.

36. I love Dennis Quaid. He is so cute ut I do not like the sour look on his face in Vegas. His character needs to laugh and e more emotional and for gid sakes smile The DQ smile is so sexy and makes his characters more appealing. Give him a love interest and show he has more feekings for his son and brother. I know Lamb is tough but the can also make him a little more sessitive.

37. Sharon says:

My husband, daughter and I look forward to watching Vegas each week. We really like Quaid, his brother and son along with the story line of those three guys. We also really like Chilis with the story line of the Chicago mob and I wouldn’t doubt that much of that went on back then.. We can not wait for the next episode.
    Comment by rswitty1 – February 26, 2013 Reply to this post

38. Frank Grasha says:

Love the show especially the cars of the 60,s Really like the assortment of situations going on at the same time Fantastic !

39. taz693227% says:

We love this show, please bring it back in the fall.

• Frank Grasha says:

I love this show And my son saw it for the fist time last night He is hooked ! This is a fantastic idea of going back to the 60,s Love the street scenes with the old cars Back when cars were way more than just tranportation !!

40. Marty Cline says:

Good show need to bring it back for more now that we know characters