X-Rated Blind Item Revealed, and [Spoiler] Says It's Only the Beginning: 'It's So Messed Up!'

Previously on Blind Item

Three weeks ago, TVLine shared with you news of an upcoming sequence on a hit drama series that nearly sent Standards and Practices at the unnamed broadcast network into sugar shock.

The racy scene in question was set at an ice cream parlor and went something like this: Lovers on a date. Each enjoying an ice cream cone. The male half of the pair reaches under the table to, ahem, melt his partner under her skirt. He then takes that same hand and dips it in her cone. Unshaken, the frisky female proceeds to lap at her “tainted” dessert.

SPOILER SPECTACULAR | More than 100 Exclusive Scoops on Your Favorite Returning Shows

After some internal debate over whether the outré encounter was suitable for the broadcast airwaves, the scene was eventually cleared for air later this fall.

But the question remains: What is the network, show and couple at the center of this potentially controversial hook-up?

TVLine can now reveal that the network is CBS, the show is The Good Wife, and the prurient duo is Kalinda (played by Archie Panjabi) and her estranged husband Nick (British actor Marc Warren).

At the Emmys on Sunday, Panjabi revealed that the ice cream scene (set to air in the Oct. 7 episode) is but one of several boundary-pushing encounters the two share this fall.

“That’s the beginning of a whole string of scenes which I have never seen on network TV, cable TV… TV period,” Panjabi tells TVLine. “It’s so messed up.”

(Asked to name one of the props at the center of another such scene, Panjabi responds with a naughty smile: “A letter opener.” Yikes!)

The Emmy-winning actress is quick to point out that the risky on-screen seduction is not just for shock value. It’s intended to chronicle a truly toxic marriage — one in which Kalinda is powerless to avoid.

“She knows he’s dangerous but you cannot stay away,” she explains. “This is a woman who is so in control. For three years she’s been a woman who’s been able to resolve everything and everyone, and suddenly there’s this one person she cannot stay away from.”

ASK AUSIELLO | Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Gossip Girl and More!

Panjabi adds that the exposure to Nick is slowly “peeling back her layers and we’re starting to see the real Kalinda.”

What does the real Kalinda look like? “Be afraid,” warns Panjabi. “Be very afraid.”

Thoughts? Happy to see that CBS is supporting the creative vision of series creators Robert and Michelle King? Does it concern you to see Kalinda so rattled? Hit the comments? And remember: The Good Wife‘s fourth season premieres this Sunday at 9/8c.

1. Sara says:

this could be very interesting. :)

2. tvaddict says:

Knew it had to be The Good Wife!

3. tornado says:

I knew it was The Good Wife but I was hoping the ice cream couple was Alicia and Will.

4. I knew it! I think networks need to be more racy. All of the drama nominees were cable shows who are allowed to take more risks, so I am glad The Good Wife is trying to keep up.

5. Awesome, I knew it was The Good Wife. Can’t wait for this scene to make me horngry.

6. Candice says:

um. ew. i’m not a prude but that is the kind of nastiness i would rather not see on my tv screen.

7. BrianR says:

She was sitting in a chair with a gun ready to blow his head off. Come on just shoot him and hook up with Alicia.

• Saint Alicia says:

Haha, hear hear! Considering Kalinda has sexual tension with everyone, going “there” with Alicia is pretty much the only thing that would surprise me. Though Alicia seems straight as an arrow maybe after one too many tequila shots she could be just as “flexible” as Kalinda…

• xav says:

I think Kalinda is a little in love with Alicia and their friendship. She’d never have Alicia be one of her conquests. She cares too much about her.

8. Sam says:

I knew it! Everything pointed to CBS and The Hot Wife!

9. I knew this was them when he first put the blind up. Network tv has to start pushing the boundaries to keep up with cable. I can’t wait to see if they can do a good job.

10. Chuck says:

Don’t care what they say about plot, it’s raunchy for the sake of raunchy… and ratings. Doesn’t say much for the story or the type of viewers they’re looking to attract. Won’t be me, and that’s ok.

• I seriously doubt they’re going to advertise such a scene during The Amazing Race or whatever and this isn’t any indication of what type of viewers you think to denigrate who are not put off by any kind of sexuality or eroticism. People grow up and they have sexual relationships. It’s not a big deal. Even Hank Hill found himself thrilled by sex in the woods.

• xav says:

The type of people they’re looking to attract? Adults who understand adult relationships?

11. TL says:

If this was a lesser talent, like Rhimes, Berlanti or Cherry, I’d be wary. But the Kings have proven themselves so I say sit back and enjoy the ride. I’d hate to forever lose our kick ass Kalinda to one more woman helpless to resist her man, however, so tread carefully.

12. Nicole says:

So i guess it’s a no go on any Kalinda-Cary action this season..again!

• Lucy says:

Come on. They’ll never do it. And right now I don’t think I want any action between those two anymore. According to writers Cary was just a brief diversion for Kalinda while she needed his help. When he stopped to be useful she lost inteterst. Two years of this and it was just waste of time. Mostly of Cary’s character time which was already tragically poor. In season 2 he spent all his time helping Kalinda. In season 3 they’ve wasted time with the awful Dana’s plot who was meant to be a love interest for Cary but it just ended up being another Kalinda’s foil and nothing else.They could have used those 2 years to develop him properly and they could have written for him a serious love interest (not someone who doesn’t give a damn about him for most of the time and who ends up being “fatally” attracted to someone else). It’s not matter of ships. The matter is that they obviously don’t give a damn about some character’s storylines.

• Pat says:

With all those guest stars and new recurring roles it’s unlikely they’ll have time to do with Cary what they haven’t done for two years. I need more than the Daddy’s plot to get excited about his storyline again.

13. Dani says:

This type of scene will be something Marc Warren’s used to. It’s actually tame in comparison with some of the work he did on The Vice and that must be at least 10 years ago. Just goes to show the difference between British and American TV.

• MB says:

Yes! someone else who knows Marc Warren. His work on The Vice and Hustle are precisely why I think this pairing is going to be incendiary. And good for CBS for backing the Kings on such a bold story line.

14. rachelle says:

LOL who didn’t know it was The Good Wife??? really wished it was Will and Alicia, but it being Kalinda is not totally horrible. K has chemistry with everyone!

15. JBS says:

Shoot. I thought & was hoping that it was going to be Cooper & Charlotte from Private Practice.

16. Bob in SF says:

Take that Maggie Smith! Go Kalinda! Best drama on NETWORK TV!

17. Martin says:

I had started to become convinced that it was Private Practice as of late, but this was my other guess. I like the facts the broadcasts are become more risky with what they are willing to show on tv, i hope this is the start of a broadcast resurgence at the Emmys (still pissed at Amy Poehler not winning)in drama.
    I am really interested in the Kalinda story and showing her with her husband but i hope that they don’t lose kickass Kalinda though.

18. Marny says:

This is just trash!!!!!!

19. Gerald says:

Have to agree with some of the comments, this just seems trashy and beneath this show. They may continue to say that it’s for the sake of the plot, but I’m not buying that, it’s raunchy for the sake of it and the ratings which are not good. This seems like the typical thing which will cause a lot of controversy and viewers for a while, then it will go back to its usual sucky ratings. As sad as it, I guess The Good Wife had to something for the ratings, as it’s the definition of bubble show….

20. mia says:

That’s just awesome!! We see so much sexual content about male satisfaction on tv, glad that CBS, the Kings and The Standards People are pushing the envelope like this.
    Ryan Gosling would approve I’m sure

21. Viv says:

I’d be more enthused if Lana was the one eating Kalinda’s ice cream.

22. teamo says:

I love The Good Wife and feel that if ANY network show could get away with something racy if would be this series.

23. PS says:

I am so glad I never got invested in this show. Yuck.

24. Gene says:

Shameful and disgusting and should not be on network television.

25. Lucy says:

I think I’m done with this show. Really. Also they wasted 2 years of Cary’s storyline around Kalinda’s character with obviously no real intent to do something…but who cares, it’s just Cary and it’s Czuchry …poor Matt Czuchry. No matter what they say they’ll do with the character this season (and I bet they won’t do anything worth fans’ attention or with more than 2 minute screentime for episode). They can’t make for all the season 3 mess. And for this. Because they don’t care.

26. ew tho says:

lawd this sounds like some chuck’n’blair b.s. no thanks

27. Alex says:

That’s just plain disgusting.

28. Bringit says:

With the explosion of Fifty Shades, you knew something like this was coming! (Pardon the puns, lol.) Sounds awesome.

29. Ella says:

I’m sorry, but that just sounds gross. Also, I want Cary/Kalinda :(

30. Until 2012, I had no idea there were so many grown adults who were disgusted by vaginas.

31. Winston5 says:

lamep.r.sayswhat??

32. Pat says:

It really suprises me but I have no words.

33. C says:

Before we decide the scene is raunchy and gratuitous, can we wait till it airs? If its there to serve a greater narrative (and with Kalinda I can see it because things sort of need to be extreme), then I don’t see what the fuss is about. This show is about telling great stories – but more importantly it’s about telling Alicia’s story. I’m the first to admit last season had some missteps – for Cary and Kalinda – but ion the whole things were still superb. If you lock yourself down to one story or one pairing you will likely always have something to gripe about. Just enjoy the ride…

34. Marcie says:

This is a publicity stunt intended to get everyone talking which it has accomplished. They are trying new things, bringing in great guest stars, etc to generate more buzz and to get more people to watch. I’m in the category of not judging until I’ve seen the episode. The writing on this show is strong so if anyone can pull this off it’s them. It’s not as if you are going to see much of anything. It’s going to be implied based on the characters reactions and what’s going on in YOUR mind.

35. astrid says:

i’m all for people enjoying each other in the most creative ways, but I certainely do NOT like to watch it…
    why would they do this?

Is this important to the story? Is this the only way to illustrate that this relationship is toxic? Is this done stress that bad-ass Kalinda is helpless when it comes to her creepy husband she has to wait for with a gun in her hand?

Well, weird and uncomfortable as this sounds, this show has had GREAT writing, so … maybe there are more aspects to it than its being really weird and uncomfortable.

Good luck with that.

36. Delia says:

lol…all the cries of “ewww!” and “disgusting!” Just how much do you think they’re going to show, people? This ain’t Cinemax we’re talking about.

37. Britta Unfiltered says:

For me personally, I don’t find that kind of thing to be sexy. It’s really gross. A lot of sex scenes on The Good Wife are gross. Call me victorian, but I think if some guy tried to do that to me I would vomit in his face. I wish they weren’t showing it. To me, sexiness is much more about subtlety and simplicity, not a close-up of someone’s face while they’re getting vagina action just below camera. Plus I find orgasm faces in scenes to be really awkward to look at. I don’t need to know what strangers look like when they do that.

38. ew tho says:

Who cares about the sex scene, the real reason this is gross is because this is a toxic relationship Kalinda is ~powerless to resist. I think the whole story line sounds gross and ill-advised, but w/e TGW is not what it used to be and hasn’t been in awhile.

39. mountaineer says:

I gave up on TGW. I will be watching Revenge..it’s more fun.

40. David says:

I totally thought it was going to be Scandal, (remember Olivia’s de-panties scene with the pres) but I bet every network will be trying to push the Seven Shades of Grey shock factor now.

41. MGL says:

I thought this show was about the “Good Wife”, but it appears that this season will be more about Kalinda. This used to be my favorite show, and I am not adverse to the new trends, but I want to see Alicia, and I want to see something with Alicia and Will. I too will be watching “Revenge”. It is a lot more fun and comes on at a decent time.

42. lynnet says:

Gave up on the Good wife a while back and though am not disgusted by the idea of this scene it wont make me start watching it again, just dont like Alicia with Peter ,oh and I prefer Revenge!