Reality Check: A Non-Kardashian X Factor Host, Style Help for Voice Faves and Xtina's Bad Habit

After two weeks of The Voice and The X Factor auditions, we’ve seen more than 60 contestants successfully advance past the initial rounds, but none with a more winning personality than Panda Ross.

In this week’s installment of Reality Check, my cohost Melinda Doolittle and I dish the hilarious soul singer who wants to make Simon Cowell her “baby daddy,” and talk about the conundrum X Factor faces when it comes to boy-band contestants. Plus, Melinda makes a shocking case for tearing apart country family act Sister C, and I hatch a controversial plan to help Simon Cowell solve the show’s hosting crisis.

Melinda and I also discuss our favorites from Week 2 of The Voice – including Melanie Martinez and Mycle Wastman, a talented pair of vocalists who may need some help in the styling department — and a new pet peeve brought to you by Christina Aguilera.

So press play below on the latest Reality Check, then hit the comments with your feelings on The Voice and The X Factor. And for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (15)

• The idea of who didn’t pick the person has to tell why without seeing them is GENIUS. I think it’d even be interesting if the ones that did pick them didn’t get to turn around and see them quite yet.

Comment by brandon – September 24, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love y’all both. Michael I agree about Melanie’s hair. It’s a little too Pebbles Flintstone for my taste, but I love love love her voice. I am all aboard the panda express. I’m sorry but I will freely admit I am not a Kardashian hater. I think to hate on them is the easy thing to do. If Mario Lopez is by Khloe’s side,they could make quite a pairing. I agree about the youtube guy. He wasn’t that great to me. I think the fact that Xtina doesn’t turn around is just a great reminder that this show is as much a game show as it is a singing competition. The coaches have a strategy. I wish y’all had discussed some of Blake’s funny lines this week. HIs you got soul, and I have a soul sales pitch was too funny.

Comment by Erika – September 24, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping that it being Monday meant I was going to get to see another Reality Check episode. So enjoying that you guys are doing this!

As far as last week, I just have this: Pan-Da! Pan-Da! Pan-Da!!!!

Comment by blingedup – September 24, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Styling issues for contestants of the voice? I thought the actual was supposed to be all about the voice! That show is hypocritical

Comment by Lance – September 24, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are so right about Melanie Martinez – she’s not just another quirky pixie with a wispy voice. She has a very powerful voice and she knows how to control it. It’s not too often that someone like her has been on one of these singing shows. But I’ve seen quite a few people saying she’s just another quirky girl who can’t sing well. It’s pretty clear that those people weren’t really listening. :/ (I like her hair, too!)

Comment by Miranda (@MirandyJane) – September 24, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Reality Check! I don’t even watch The Voice and I enjoy your discussion! I do watch The X Factor though. (I limit myself to 1 singing show a season! :) ) I loved Panda. When Simon said to her that she sang that like a legend, he took the words right out of my head. That is exactly what I had been thinking. Loved the Hallelujah guy as well. Am looking forward to this week. I wish they would leave the Kardashians out. No one wants to be forced into that. :) Also am diggin’ the judges. So far, so good. :)

Comment by Kim R – September 24, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kim R., I agree with everything you just wrote. :)

I limit myself to one singing show a season also. So it’s X-Factor in the fall and Idol in the spring. But I like seeing the highlights of The Voice in Reality Check. Win-win.

Yes to Panda. Yes to Hallelujah guy. And Hell Yes to leaving the Kardashians out of the whole thing!

Comment by blingedup – September 24, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was this the first Reality Check of the season or did I miss any earlier ones? If so would someone post a link….thanks.

Comment by TheBeach – September 24, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael & Melinda! Thanks for doing these – so entertaining and informative. And Michael (or your editor) – I LOVE you, but hearing more from Melinda this week was lovely. Can’t wait for your next recap.

Comment by Leela – September 24, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahmahgawd. I didn’t know these were around! I was just re-watching last season’s idol recaps and thinking how I missed both of your recapping skills. So happy!

Comment by A – September 24, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I’m already sick of Christina not choosing anyone that 1) doesn’t have a huge voice, and 2) she actually has to make a effort with. She’s so self-indugent and lazy that I’m glad she’ll be ‘taking a break’ next cycle.

Comment by Temperence – September 24, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK the rocker with the kid was also on the UK version of X Factor….what’s up with that?

Comment by Miss O'Ginny – September 24, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let us know ..what happened to panda? I missed a week of xfactor but not to c panda is so disappoiting

Comment by jenny – October 10, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post