Emmys

Ratings: Emmys Up and Down Versus 2011

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Ratings

ABC’s presentation of the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday night, while up year-over-year in total viewers, looks to be down in the coveted 18-49 demo rating from Fox’s 2011 broadcast. The question is: By how much?

Based on fast nationals from Nielsen, ABC’s Emmycast drew 13.2 million total viewers while scoring a 3.8 demo rating, versus the 12.4 mil/4.2 the show netted in 2011 (in finals).

RELATED | Emmys 2012: What Were the Best and Worst Moments?

Last year’s Emmys demo was ultimately adjusted up from a 3.5, so ABC’s rating is poised to also see a bump. But will it be enough to best 2011′s 4.2?

Check back this afternoon for final numbers/verdict.

RELATED | Emmys: Modern Family, Homeland Clean Up, Mad Men Shut Out, Jon Cryer Pulls Upset

Providing mighty competition for the Emmys and dominating the Sunday ratings was NBC’s broadcast of the New England Patriots-Baltimore Ravens NFL game, which looks to be up from last week’s match-up.

Tags:

Comments (18)

• I’ve watched the Emmys every year for almost 19 years…but I honestly couldn’t care this year so I didn’t watch.
    My main reason was the frustrations over nominees. I have no desire to watch the same 9 or so Academy darlings get nominations year after year, saturating all the categories. Additionally, the refusal to see worth in more genre programming has just finally caused me to give up.
    The Emmys don’t represent the diversity and talent on tv.

Comment by mia – September 24, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Mia. I usually tape the show and fast forward through the commercials or anything I don’t want to waste time on. This year I didn’t even do that. The same shows keep getting nominated and winning. I mean, seriously, they cannot be that consistently the best tv has to offer!

Comment by Mrs. Peele – September 24, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new gown color of the night was chartreuse and it is hideous.

Comment by L – September 24, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Same winners every year, that’s probably why nobody is watching. The ownly funny part of the night was Amy Poehler giving Julia-Louis Dreyfuss her acceptance speech.

Comment by Rjrtist – September 24, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When are they going to give Amy Poehler the hosting job (probably never, because she is on NBC, not ABC)? She has been the best thing about the Emmys for the past three years!

Comment by Di – September 24, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Emmys actually rotate from network to network, CBS hosts it next, in 2013.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 24, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Excellent. Hopefully NPH will get the nod to host.

Comment by Sg. Grant – September 24, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CBS – mmm. Heard Julie Chenbot wants to host :-(

Comment by forwarddad – September 24, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I didn’t know that – thanks! So…….Melissa McCarthy for host in 2013 and Amy Poehler for NBC’s next go!

Comment by Di – September 24, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kimmel is an okay host, but Conan and NPH have been the most entertaining.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 24, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fallon was pretty good too.

Comment by Ashly – September 24, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the ‘same old winners’ comments. Most of the ones I thought were gonna win going by the Emmy voters thinking didn’t. Homeland dominated. Except for Modern Family, many did not see the awful Jon Cryer winning (there goes my faith in humanity)

Comment by Lucifer – September 24, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t take the Emmys seriously when they give the Breaking Bad lead 3 emmys, and the supporting actor 2, but never give it the emmy for best drama. Or giving Mad Men the best drama for several years running but no individual emmys for the actors. Whoever the people are that vote for the awards, they are morons.

Comment by samaxe794 – September 24, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My main reason for tuning in was to look for Once Upon a Time promos and to see Ginnifer Goodwin present two awards.

Comment by Mary – September 24, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I lost interest once Amy Poehler didn’t win. Ridiculous. I don’t think any victory made me happy, except Aaron Paul (even though I was rooting for Giancarlo Esposito, Aaron Paul deserved it as well and I loved his speech) and Jessica Lange.

Comment by laurenfrancesm – September 24, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like the Emmys, but since I only supported two of the nominations (Writing for Community and Amy Poehler) I didn’t feel like that was enough to watch 2+ hours of an awards show. Once they start nominating worthier shows, I’ll have a reason to watch again.

Comment by Ashly – September 24, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t even remember who hosted last year, come to find out it was Jane Lynch still that says something. Kimmel did a fine job.

Comment by Matt – September 24, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the emmys were pretty lame.
    there was no big show and we all knew modern family will win every freakin’ prize anyway, leaving big talents like Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader unnoticed.
    Kristen deserved that Emmy much more than Julie, she just ended her 7 year run on SNL and was talneted as hell on it!!
    Maybe they should think before handing out the emmy

Comment by Me – September 24, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post