Emmys

Emmys 2012: Modern Family, Homeland Clean Up, Mad Men Shut Out, Jon Cryer Pulls Upset

Showtime brought victory Homeland when it walked away from the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards with four wins – including its first Outstanding Drama Series award and trophies for both its lead actor (Damian Lewis) and actress (Claire Danes). ABC’s Modern Family tied the freshman drama, nabbing a quartet of statues including Outstanding Comedy Series.

AMC’s Mad Men, which went into the ceremony with 17 nominations and a four-year streak of winning the drama-series race, suffered a complete shut-out. At the other end of the spectrum, Two and a Half Men’s Jon Cryer got gold in his first crack at the comedy’s Lead Actor category (and seemed quite shocked by the recognition).

Also of note: The Academy elected to give HBO’s Sarah Palin-skewering movie Game Change four Emmys during the night – which was broadcast live from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles — and The Daily Show With Jon Stewart took home its tenth consecutive Emmy for Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series.

Here are all the winners from Sunday. Skim the list and tell us what you think about the results!

Lead Actress In A Comedy Series | Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Supporting Actor In A Drama Series | Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Writing in a Drama Series Homeland
Directing in a Drama Series Tim Van Patten, Boardwalk Empire
Outstanding Drama Series Homeland

Outstanding Reality – Competition Program | The Amazing Race
Reality Host Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars

Writing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series | Louis C.K., Louis C.K. Live at the Beacon Theatre
Directing in a Variety, Music Or Comedy Series Glenn Weiss, 65th Annual Tony Awards
Outstanding Variety, Music Or Comedy Series The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie Julianne Moore, Game Change
Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie Kevin Costner, Hatfields & McCoys
Supporting Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie | Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie Tom Berenger, Hatfields & McCoys
Writing in a Miniseries or Movie Danny Strong, Game Change
Directing in a Miniseries or Movie Jay Roach, Game Change
Outstanding Miniseries or Movie |

Plus, select highlights from the Creative Arts Emmys held Sept. 15….

Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men
Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Jimmy Fallon, Saturday Night Live
Guest Actress In A Drama Series | Martha Plimpton, The Good Wife
Guest Actor In A Drama Series | Jeremy Davies, Justified
Reality Program | Undercover Boss (CBS)
Casting in a Drama Series | Homeland (Showtime)
Casting For A Comedy Series | Girls (HBO)
Casting For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | Game Change (HBO)

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Emmys, News

1. Gina says:

With Mad Men’s shutout is this the end of Weiner’s Pare obsession?

2. S. from E. now says:

Drama was fab. Comedy complete crap. But with those nominations I wasn’t expecting anything less…

3. Luu says:

Jon Cryer? Really? You have Louis and Jim on that list and then you vote for Jon Cryer? Come on, Academy, you can do better.
    And also, how the hell didn’t Ty Burrel or Max Greenfield win the Emmy? It just doesn’t make any sense.

4. Brock says:

Cat Deeley deserves an Emmy above all other hosts. For shame, Academy.

5. Anonymous says:

“You have Louis and Jim on that list and then you vote for Jon Cryer?”

I’m thinking (well, hoping) that a good chunk of people DID vote for either Louis or Jim, and it wound up splitting the majority, hence the Cryer win. Although between him winning & Poehler being snubbed YET AGAIN, I’m beginning to think I should just watch the drama & miniseries/movie party of the Emmys.

6. It’s been a happy Emmy! Claire Danes won the most well deserved award of the night, Cumberbatch lost, The Amazing Race regained the title… All seems all right in the world to me :)

7. Wesley says:

Amy Poehler should’ve won. Max Greenfield should’ve won. Louis CK/Jim Parsons should’ve won. SYTYCD should’ve won. Sherlock should’ve won.

8. Emily says:

Can believe Game of Thrones got snubbed! But I’m so glad Aaron Paul won, well deserved!

9. bella says:

i honestly think that homeland winning most in the drama categories was good I’m NOT a homeland fan but knowing that some many shows i.e. CASTLE, REVENGE were snubbed is just disgraceful they both should have got nominated not stupid mad me and breaking bad!!!!!

10. Robin says:

Hayden P. Has no business calling Dame Maggie Smith by her first name. Like Oprah, time for a.r. To retire from the category. Things looked red or orange and the commentators seem to see the opposite. Didn’t need to cut off the last speech; they were on time :(. Coach the winners not to thank everyone and their cousin. If your management doesn’t know u appreciate them by now, thanking them on the Emmys won’t do it. They sound silly.
    If you have to keep pulling at your dress to keep it up, obviously it doesnt fit. Duh!

11. oh my lord says:

I can’t believe Mad Men won nothing! Does this mean the Emmy voters are sick of Megan too??

12. harper920 says:

Poor Cat Deeley, clearly the most deserving nominee….

13. Emily says:

and modern family wins again, so exciting! Why is this years crop of comedy so lack-luster that its probably going to win again next year :(

14. Emily says:

such a boring cermony I only have 2 thoughts
    1.- YAY homeland, very deserving
    2 – Amy Poehlear is the one of the funniest woman alive and was completely and utterly robbed

• Jay says:

I’m with you on the “boring”. After the comedy part I turned it to Family Guy. Also I know they were nominated for something, do you know if they won?

15. TricksterGirl says:

WHERE WAS THE SHERLOCK LOVE?????!!!!!!

16. Loved Homeland dominating, but man what is it going to take for Amy Poehler to win that Emmy? Or the show to, well, I guess now at least get nominated again? I don’t know how many more years of this pre-Emmy false hope I can handle! But I did really enjoy the speech shenanigans with she and Julia.

Modern Family’s wins didn’t bother me too much since it wasn’t really against any of my favorite shows. I watch and enjoy 30 Rock & Big Bang Theory too, but with no Parks in the running, I didn’t have anyone to strongly root for like I did Homeland and Breaking Bad Drama wise. Did want Merritt Wever to take Supporting Actress though because she’s been hysterical on Nurse Jackie for so long. At least glad to see her acknowledged with a nomination this time though!

17. Eric says:

PLEASE fill in the best mini series / movie category! Game change!

18. Ches says:

I’d like to know how they can overlook TVs highest rated comedy? Seriously, being the first scripted show to beat American Idol in the ratings is huge!!! But then again just having Mayim nominated was awesome!!!!

19. DIO says:

Kayty Sagel robbed…again! She should have definately won best actress for season two, the whole season was tied to her relationship with John Teller, Jax’s father & how Clay both covetted her, leadership of the club & he murdered John Teller, She was outstanding and deserved an oscar for her performance the whole season, SOA really gets robbed come time for awards shoes!

20. A says:

Yes, Amy Poehler deserves an Emmy for P&R, but no love for Julia? She was amazing in Veep. Delivered like she always does.

21. David P. Graf says:

Considering that Showtime’s BIG, BIG HIT of Homeland only pulls in about 1.7 million viewers (placing it around 120-125 on the ratings scale of all tv shows), why is it getting “all the love” from Emmy voters??? They should probably have a separate category or even a separate show for cable series.

22. JM says:

Personally, I am sick and tired of the same people and the same shows getting nominated over and over again. I actually think that there should be a limit of one Emmy (or one Oscar, etc.) for each actor or show. Then at least new actors and shows would get a chance.

The show was very boring so I read a magazine while watching and just paid attention to the key elements. I cannot connect to a lot of it because I don’t get premium channels so I haven’t seen Homeland, for example.

One last comment. Everyone’s ragging on Jon Cryer but I find him to be a comedic genius, especially in physical comedy, and he has done a fantastic job keeping up the energy on 2 1/2 Men since Charlie left. I’ve met Charlie a couple of times and actually had a conversation once about how good their scenes were together.

23. nate p says:

Bull…. that’s all I can say about breaking bad not winning best drama. Not only was it the best show on tv for the last 5 years this was one of the best yet. It better win next year just for the major f#*% up that this was

24. Kyle says:

Jon Cryer has two Emmys and Steve Carell has zero. There is something seriously wrong with the academy.