Emmys

Emmy Winners React! Jon Cryer's Shock, Claire Danes' 'Ginger Baby' and More Sound Bites

On-stage acceptance speeches are nice and all — and rife with names you’ve never heard of — but when an Emmy winner gets backstage to field questions from the press, that’s when they can A) elaborate on their good fortune and/or B) get a little bit loose and say offbeat things.

RELATED | Read Our Recap of the Emmys Telecast, Check out the Red Carpet Fashions and Sound Off on All the Winners

TVLine’s Meg Masters and Vlada Gelman were inside the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards’ press room as this year’s winners glowed over their freshly grabbed gold. Here’s what Homeland‘s finest, myriad Modern Family members, a gobsmacked Jon Cryer and others had to say.

1. Erin says:

John effing Cryer???!!!???
    It’s official. The Emmys is a complete sham. What a joke.

• Michele says:

Couldn’t agree more! I turned them off in disgust after that! Especially when Louie CK and Jim Parsons are in that category. Either of them should have won

• chiana says:

Anyone in that category would have been a better choice. I wonder what kind of drugs the voters were doing. The entire comedy section was a mess.

• Polly says:

it was pretty clear when neither Archer or Craig Ferguson got a nomination.
      this just proves the point once again.

• Ethan says:

Did you watch the episode he submit? If so, you would understand why he won. Jim Parsons is fine but what did he do in the episode he submit besides getting a haircut? Jon Cryer was in the ENTIRE episode. He got to do a lot more and showed off his comedic timing. I wish people would stop writing Cryer off just because Two and a Half Men is just an average show. Voters don’t watch the ENTIRE season. They watch just one tape and if you submit bad, then you may not win. Cryer nailed his submission and that’s why he won.

2. Mh says:

I cannot even begin to express how disappointed I was when Jim Parsons didn’t win. At this point anyone was better than Jon Cryer.

3. Eliza says:

So sad my girl Amy Poehler didn’t win! She’s the best :)

But I was soooo happy for Aaron Paul. He is amazing as Jesse Pinkman <3

4. Rachel says:

What a joke of a show. Jon Cryer? Modern Family? Nothing for Sherlock or Amy Poehler or Christina Hendricks? Shame on the voters.

5. Leola says:

Why all the hate in Jon Cryer. He has been an amazing talent in Hollywood for a long time. His comedic timing, great work ethic and just humble, nice guy deserves some love. I was just as surprised, but he’s such an unappreciated talent that I couldn’t be more happy for him.

• Joy says:

was pleased to see him win. He has been under Charlie Sheen’s shadow for so long and IMO he holds his own with Ashton whats his name.

6. Jack Wahl says:

Why all the hate about Jon Cryer?

• chiana says:

What does hate have to do with it? Those aren’t nasty personal comments. I’m sure he is a really nice guy. He handled the whole Sheen mess with class and diplomacy. Doesn’t mean he’s a brilliant comic actor though. Wrong choice to win or even be nominated.

• Ethan says:

I don’t really like Jon Cryer but if you actually watch the tape he submits this season, you will see why he won. He is actually pretty good. The show gets a bad rap because of Charlie Sheen and just write off Cryer because of it. I bet 90% of the people hear don’t watch Two and a Half Men (which is fine but then don’t go and say he doesn’t deserve it when you don’t watch the show)

7. Cy says:

Well, he was just as surprised as everyone else.

8. tvaddict says:

Not happy with any of the winners except Homeland and Jessica Lange. Seriously Amy Poehler still doesn’t have an emmy? Also Jim Parsons is obviously much funnier than Jon Cryer. And absolutely NOTHING for Cougar Town, Happy Endings, Scandal, HIMYM, and anything from the CW?

9. Saint Alicia says:

Homeland deserves all the awards, so happy for them! Hope this means we’ll get more cast interviews, and if Mandy Patinkin wants to slag Criminal Minds some more that would be hilarious.
    Also, the POTUS has great taste, iirc his favorite show previously was The Wire and he’s a fan of The Good Wife as well. I approve ;)

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

Julie Bowen is very gracious in her comments towards Sofia Vergara, but I’m thrilled Sofia didn’t win. She probably would have spent the whole acceptance speech talking about how awesome she was, and how good she looked, and how everyone should buy her K-Mart clothing line, cuz that’s all she can seem to do when she’s on talk shows. The lack of humility and “I’m so great” attitude in that woman grosses me out. I hope she never wins.

11. Joseph says:

So we are in a generation of Modern Family and Homeland wins -and no one else. I’m glad for Homeland but so tired of all the awards going to Modern Family when it isn’t the most innovative comedy out there. Emmy’s has turned so predictable now. I wish there was some originality left with the voters. I can see a whole lot of deserving people getting shut out over the next coming years. These awards have become a sham.

12. Saint Alicia says:

How are we “in a generation of Homeland wins” when it’s only been around for a single season…
    The show was fortunate to win several awards on it’s first and only round of nominations (thus far), but it is still entirely deserved.

13. Pat says:

Aaron Paul’s win was my fave part of the show. He was so honest and humbled, most heartfelt acceptance speech of the night. His fiancee is one lucky woman.

14. L says:

The new gown color of the night was chartreuse and it was hideous.

15. Bill says:

Guess it shows the Emmys can award a British actor for best acting in a drama series, namely Damian Lewis. Too bad they didn’t do the same for Hugh Laurie all of those years he was nominated.

16. Alexis says:

Had a good chuckle at Damian Lewis’ quip about Claire’s baby.