New Once Upon a Time Episode Titles Revealed: Whose Backstories Are Coming?

Once Upon a Time cocreator Adam Horowitz, perhaps in a chipper mood because of the Yankees’ extra-innings win Friday night over the A’s and first-place standing in the AL East, took to Twitter on Saturday morning to share the titles for Season 2’s Episodes 4, 5 and 6 — each of which strongly points to a specific backstory.

VIDEOS | Once Upon a Time Sneak Peeks: Emma Snubs Snow, Fairytale Land’s Fate and Rumple’s Revenge

First, to recap what we knew previously: The Season 2 opener, airing next Sunday, Sept. 30, is titled “Broken” and was written by Horowitz and cocreator Eddy Kitsis. Its notable guest stars include Sarah Bolger (The Tudors), Julian Morris (Pretty Little Liars) and Jamie Chung (Samurai Girl) as Princess Aurora, Prince Phillip and Mulan, plus Michael Raymond-James (Terriers) as “Mysterious Man.”

Episode 2, “We Are Both” — presumably a nod to how the Storybrooke residents now are cognizant of the two existences they have led, and featuring the backstory of how the Evil Queen first met Rumplestiltskin — was written by Jane Espenson, and guest-stars Barbara Hershey (returning as wueen mom Cora), Sebastian Stan (as Jefferson), Bolger and Chung, plus Bailee Madison as young Snow White. Episode 3, “Lady of the Lake,” was written by Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg and guest-stars Stan and Alan Dale (as King George).

VIDEO | TVLine’s Spoiler Alert! Web Series Talks Once Upon a Time‘s Return

And now, the fresher intel….

Episode 4
TITLE | “The Crocodile”
WRITERS | David Goodman and Robby Hull
IT’S PROBABLY ABOUT | The backstory of Captain Hook (played by Colin O’Donoghue) and what he’s been up to in Storybrooke this whole time (besides getting half-price manicures).
IT’S PROBABLY NOT ABOUT | Hook’s crocodile adversary himself — unless he’s now Ruby’s handbag.

Episode 5
TITLE |The Doctor”
WRITERS | Kitsis and Horowitz
IT’S PROBABLY ABOUT | Who Dr. Whale (played by David Anders) really is.
IT’S PROBABLY NOT ABOUT | A certain Time Lord.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Season 2: Jennifer Morrison Teases ‘Complicated’ Reunion, Magical Emma

Episode 6
TITLE |The Man from Tallahassee”
WRITERS | Christine Boylan and Espenson
IT’S PROBABLY ABOUT | Emma’s difficult past, seeing as how in Season 1, Episode 4, “The Price of Gold,” Regina shared her learning that Miss Swan lived in the Florida town for two years. And as Kitsis told TVLine during our Fall Preview Q&A (posting next week), “We’re excited to finally get a good look at some of Emma’s backstory before she had Henry. We may even see the origins of her beloved yellow bug.”
IT’S PROBABLY NOT ABOUT | John Locke’s con man father.

1. yut says:

Yeah for more Emma’ story. And more Charming family moments!

2. Karo says:

Love that we finally get to know more about Emma and her difficult past life and maybe we get a glimpse of Henrys father ;)

Looking forward to learn who Dr.Whale is because i have still no single clue who his fairytale counterpart is.

• Stormy says:

I so hope that Henry’s father is Baelfire. Talk about family!

• karo says:

I suggest Baelfire as Henrys dad too but i´m incertain. Jen has said that it is someone we know and she is allways very cyptic in taking away spoilers hence Baelfire is too easy for me. There has to be a trick/twist. I have the odd feeling that it is Gold himself. Maybe he has some shapeshifter abilities and that is the reason why Emma didn´t recognize him. Just a odd feeling due to the way how R.Carlyle/Rumple acted every time Henry appeared. He looked so proud,soft and amused. Btw we still don`t know how Regina has gotten Henry, pretty sure Gold had his fingers in the pie. He is the puppet master of the entire story, everything and everyone is connected to him in some way.

• Stormy says:

Interesting theory. The reason I hope for Baelfire is because they’ve said it’s someone we already know and if it’s Baelfire it would be someone not in Storybrooke, but from Fairytale. That would make Henry a product of Fairytale entirely. And since Bael isn’t there, Emma hasn’t seen him. As for Gold being the father, that’s just icky, due to the age difference when Emma was 17 and because while he has a dark side, I don’t want him to be a lech. But if he knows Bael is Henry’s father, that could be grandfatherly pride. They already said that Gold engineered the adoption and brought Henry to Regina from Arizona.

• Sean says:

That’s an interesting theory but it wouldn’t make sense. Gold wasn’t allowed to leave Storybrooke. He probably got Regina Henry through connections

• Patti says:

yeah I think henry’s father is the overly predictable baelfire so they can continue to focus mostly on the charmings,gold and regina while grumpy,archie,belle,red,granny,sidney,august and gang are sidelined.

• Tansy says:

Some people are speculating that Dr. Whale is Orcus the Roman God of Death [myth]. The writers of OUAT have said that Dr. Whale has a God complex. And since Orcas are killer whales, it fits. Maybe he can undead Daniel and Graham.

• karo says:

Hm…interesting never thought about this possibillity, my best guess is Captain Ahab. He had a god complex as well. Most likely is that he is the whale from Pinocchio but then August would have recognized him. It is a puzzle :)

• May the gods/writers listen to you, that would be so great. Especially, the undead Daniel and Graham part.

• kelli says:

Adam and eddy said that Grahams not coming back, and if he did it would only be for flashbacks in ftl. The interview they did was the one from comic con. I haven’t heard anything about Daniel, but it would be nice if he. Ame back :)

3. Lorena says:

It is wrong that im more excited to watch Bailee Madison again, she is just perfect for Young Snow, not even a younger Jennifer G could do what this amazing girl did

4. No one says:

I can’t wait! I’m so excited to have season 2 finally started and those titles sound intriguing!

5. Adam says:

Nice Lost reference there with the Tallahassee episode, Matt. ;)

6. paburrows says:

Well and they did say at comic-con that her Bug is Herbie (they could have been joking though) so if thats true then episode 6 is about herbie.

7. LouN says:

so excited for episode 6! Emma <3

8. BelleRumpleFan says:

This all sounds very exciting!

9. Frivolouswhim says:

I’m totally looking forward to ep 2 and more on Regina’s backstory – especially with Rumple.

10. AT says:

Loved the reference to Doctor Who! Thanks for making me laugh because the title of the episode made me think of the Doctor too. That said, I’m interested in who Dr. Whale is. One would think he isn’t literally the whale from Pinocchio. If that were the case, my guess is the Dr. will be all about staying in Storybrooke. :) In fact, I really hope they go that direction with the stories a little bit. There have to be a few residents who like their life better here. It would make for some interesting conflict.

11. Emily says:

Episode 5: Oh, but if only it was about a certain Time Lord. But then the show would be over, because the Doctor would give Rumple & the Queen one warning, crush them when they ignore it, and then put everything back the way it should be. But in all seriousness, I’m very curious about Dr. Whale. I love David Anders.

12. Bender says:

Nice LOST reference. Man I miss that show. Also reminds me that Jorge Garcia will be in season 2 of OUAT!
    Really excited for season 2 of OUAT. Recently watched season 1 on blu-ray and enjoyed the hell out of it.

13. Barbie says:

Honestly, I keep looking all these episodes, and all I want is another Red episode. It was single handed (no pun intended) the best episode from last season, and she’s such a strong, underrated character in the show. I’d hoped that by making Meghan Ory a regular she’d show up more. Maybe two episodes about Red this season :(

• Andy says:

I would love to see a Red backstory episode of the traditional Little Red Riding Hood story where the wolf in the bed really is granny.

• Terra S. says:

Same here!! From what I can tell episode seven could possibly be very Red/Ruby involved but overall I’m just keeping my fingers crossed about her appearing more. I’d also love to explore her backstory more, since there’s so much out there for her character. There are so many ways to have her involved in stories- ex: making her the crocodile that ate hook’s hand, helping find Bae, and so much more! Red-Handed will forever be my favorite (at least till a new red-centric episode emerges) and Meghan Ory is undoubtably an extremely talented actress who is skilled in emotionally involving audiences everywhere.

• I don’t think I’d like them to be pushy with her character, making her *everything* (like the crocodile). They’ve built such a RICH story for Red. I think they just should explore that. She should find love, despite her burden. She should help them fight — with her amazing strength. She should do so, so much. Red Handed may be forever my favorite episode, because it’s not only a true stand-alone, but it’s movie-like. It’s almost like a whole movie into the show. Kinda like Hans and Gretel (my second favorite). They should REALLY explore more that storytelling format instead of going back to Snow and the Evil Queen and Rumpelstiltskin all the time.

14. Andy says:

Dr. Whale as Monstro from Pinocchio seems too obvious. I always thought it would be interesting if he really was Dr. Frankenstein. James Whale used to direct the old Frankenstein movies.

15. Dena says:

WAY excited to see Mad Hatter/Jefferson back. Enough about Graham. Sebastian Stan is hot!!!!

16. Pat says:

Bailee M is great as little Snow.

Sounds like too much of the new characters and not enough Red,Belle and Archie. Hope they are not treated like just sidekicks while new characters and Regina and Gold get lots of focus.

• Karo says:

As far as i´ve I think we will see lots of Belle in the beginning. Archie is not a series regular anymore, unfortunately so i doubt we`ll get another Jiminy story. Heard nothing about Red but i hope. :)

• Pat says:

So far it sounds like belle only get stuff as a part of gold’s stuff as sidekick and red as david’s. had no clue archie wasn’t a regular but then again they barely used him in season 1

• karo says:

Hm the Belle character will be automatically explored not only due to her relationship with gold but also her father lives in that town too, she has to deal with him somehow. Red will have to learn to deal with her werewolf self, i hope Gold has hidden her magic coat somewhere in his store. Emma and Snow seem to vanish from Storybrooke so Reds seeking skills could be useful for David and i want to know how he will deal with Henry alone. It is possible that Red and Granny will help.

17. Emma says:

I’m not just excited for Emma, but also Little Snow. Two of my favorite characters!!!

18. Smigglesby says:

Whats the deal with Eion Bailey (Pinocchio) and Raphael Sbarge (Jiminy Cricket) are they returning as regulars?

19. nick1372 says:

I’m super excited for season 2.

It would be so awesome if the crocodile was Ruby’s purse!! :-D

20. Patrick Maloney says:

Finally Whale’s true identity

21. linds says:

I’m excited for the 6th episode the most because it’s not I don’t like the back stories of the fairy tale characters in fairy tale land, but there is so many questions about Emma’s back story that are not-answered (hopefully soon). And hopefully more Emma’s backstories epsiodes will come. Jennifer Morrison is a great actress, not many people are aware how well she plays Emma Swan. Emma Swan is a very complex character, I am excited to see Jennifer in character as Emma! I really hope one day Jennifer gets at least an nomination at some award show for an acting category because I think she is one of the unrated actresses who does not get recognized as much as others. I’m so excited for Septemeber 30!

22. Babybop says:

Ha ha ha ha. Lost joke. Those producers do love to give homages, though. The “numbers” are everywhere!

23. Jesse says:

So excited for this season. Can’t wait to find out who Dr. Whale is. Also, looking forward to Emma’s revealing episode. I think episode 4 is actually Rumple centric, though we’ll learn about Hook too.

I can’t wait for when we get a Belle centric!

24. OUATFan says:

ok first off YANKEES SUCK!!! moving on im excited for the 2nd season and all the interesting storylines and also to see the how the relationship between Emma and Henry grows.

25. Kayleig says:

Really? Eion is not a regualr anymore? I thought he would be part of the man cast. Can’t wait for season 2. Love Emma and Ruby. Can’t wait to find out who Henry’s fathereally is. Poor kid he is gong to be crushed when he finds out that Emma lied to him about he’s father being dead.

26. kelli says:

Baelfire would be too old to probably be henrys father. Rumple was the dark one far before Emma was born. That means is bad was 13 and Emma was born years later. He would be too old.

• linds says:

I think if I am not mistaken but I think it could work. I think I may be wrong but he could be married to someone else and cheat on them with Emma.

• kelli says:

August is still a regular. He’s credited as one, so whoever saying he isn’t probably doesn’t really know just cuz they haven’t heard anything about him.

Anyways, I think it would be too obvious for bae. I don’t really like the idea of him being Henrys father, and we don’t know really how long rumple was without bae, but I think it was a while. Rumple makes it sound like it was a good amount of time. I honestly love August and I know a lot of ppl dont, but friends and I have a theory of how he could be henrua father. Lol

• Tara says:

Not necessarily. Baelfire could have come through to a time when Emma was 9 or 10 years old, making him 4 or 5 years older than she was at that time. With time travel there is no telling where one will end up.

• kelli says:

Read comment above plz :)

• Tara says:

You mean the one about “henrua father”? LOL! If he were Henry’s father Emma would have recognized him.

• kelli says:

Yeah. My friend seems to think that when Emma entered storybrooke she forgot August or his face or something. Idk I know its a crazy theory, but I would like it. Lol. The producers said that we already know him, also in “True North” at the end when henrys asking about his father August rolls up, and there have been tons of hints like this about different things.

27. jeremy says:

I wonder if Henry’s father could be the son of Mr. Gold for we never did find out what happened to him plus would give the reason why Henry knew so much about the Characters from his book. Maybe the curse never affected Mr Gold’s Family.