Supernatural Hot Shots: A Trip to Purgatory Reveals a Broken Cas and a Bloody Dean

Misha Collins’ Castiel makes his return to The CW’s Supernatural in Season 8’s second episode, and we’ve got a sneak peek at the worn-down angel’s purgatory flashbacks, which also feature a bloody Dean and his frenemy, Benny the vamp (Ty Olsson).

FALL PREVIEW | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of Supernatural — Plus 46 Other Shows!

As Dean tells Sam in this preview from the season premiere, Cas didn’t make the trip back home with him. “Things got pretty hairy towards the end, and he just let go,” he says.

Check out the gallery below to see if you can decipher what went down among the trio and then hit the comments with your theories!

Supernatural returns Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 9/8c.

1. Yay! I am loving all the promos and photos coming out before the Oct. 3rd premiere. I can’t wait to have this show back. Hopefully Cas does in fact make it out of Purgatory.

2. tvaddict says:

I am squealing like a fangirl

3. Clare says:

So looking forward to seeing Cas, and seeing some profound bonding in Purgatory. And Cas reuniting with Dean and Sam can’t come soon enough for me.

4. mac says:

He doesen’t really look broken, more scruffy and serious (like his pre-hellpain self). Benny also looks pretty badass, not to mention Dean who seems to have fully embraced his hunter side to survive.
    I really hope that Cas isn’t dead, Dean didn’t say that he’s dead. Just that he ‘let go’, wich could mean a lot of things. Maybe he reverted to his former angel self and stopped caring, went fully crazy, stayed behind so Dean and Benny could escape or is held captive by some bad guys.
    He ‘died’ so many times, I really can’t take it serious anymore (since season 4 he died in each season at least once)…fingers crossed for our (well at least my) favourite angel to be safe and badass =)

5. Dilys says:

CAS! Finally. I am so looking forward to seeing Cas and Misha Collins again. I truly hope that Dean and Cas are able to continue to repair their relationship with each other. And Dean find a way to get your angel out of Purgatory! So excited to see more Cas in Season 8!

6. MatildaLouise says:

Yay!!! I’m SO excited to see more Castiel. Hearing from Dean in 8.01 that he didn’t make it back made my heart sink, but I’m so intrigued to find out what happened to them in purgatory, so I’m REALLY looking forward to the flashbacks. I also trust in Jeremy Carver that Castiel will be reunited with them later on in the season somehow. I just hope Cas gets a hug when they are reunited again because the poor angel looks like he needs one!

7. These promo pics look fantastic. Am very intrigued about what’s going on, and delighted we’re getting more Castiel in Season 8. \o/

8. Kay says:

Oh thank you, thank you for these. So many in Purgatory! I hope this episode is pretty heavy in Purgatory flashbacks, because I really want to know what happened there. Interesting dynamics there between the three of them. Dean’s weapon is interesting, and he doesn’t have a hint of a beard. Cas! What’s happening to you? It’s as if he can hear some distant sounds from somewhere. I hope he’s tied up with how angels return to the SPN ‘verse.

9. London says:

Interesting. What is Dean doing to that guy chained up? Purgatory seems full of knives and guns. I can’t wait for the return of vamps on the show. Benny looks pretty menacing.

10. Holly Anne says:

I haven’t been this excited about a season in over 2 years! All the promos and pics have really rocked! So happy Dean’s finally getting his own storyline. I can’t wait what happened to him and Cas in Purgatory and what’s Benny’s agenda. Bring on season 8!

11. So glad to see Castiel!! Was worried for him. I’m thinking that he is probably not dead. I think Benny will end up being this season’s Ruby. Yes, peoples! I LOVE THEM ALL!! Each and every one, including Bobby! I was a Dean girl first. And I am a loyal SPN fan. Since the pilot! Am excited to see where Jeremy Carver takes the season. I sincerely hope that Castiel is back fighting the bad guys with the Winchesters, where he belongs

12. jade says:

I think cas attempted to sacrifise himself for dean…. But when it came down to it an angel cannot makr that judgement!!! X

13. I’m all out of panic for Cas. I think it’s disrespectful to Castiel fans for TPTB to make us fear for his safety multiple times EVERY SEASON. But because they are known to do this, I’m not gonna be scared for him anymore. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the ride with my other favorite boys.

14. JustMe! says:

Sooooo excited for Dean’s purgatory storyline. It’s been years since they gave him a decent story arc and just as long since I cared about this show.

15. SPN fan says:

Yay, Cas!!! Carver has said that things will not be as they first appear, and he said the brothers may be keeping things from each other. I think Cas will be fine. I’m so happy to have him back!!! He has become my favorite character on the show! I hope his future holds lots of episodes (and hopefully a hug).

16. Mrs. Peele says:

I am also very excited to see the new season which is promising to be great with the list of guest stars appearing. The clip I saw of Sam and Dean reuniting again, threw me off a little. They both appear to hiding secrets again. And Sam’s tone of voice when he learned that Dean was in Purgatory for the whole year amazed me. Where did he think Dean went? When creatures die they go to Purgatory and since Dean and Cas were standing practically on top of Dick (brilliant move on their part) they got sucked in with him. The only other explanation is that they all just disappeared or evaporated into thin air and are dead. For Sam to not have a clue that’s where Dean was sounded very strange to me. And Dean gung ho to pick up right where they left off, after one year, as though it was just the other day?? Sam left hunting, Kevin was taken by Crowley. The world is still here, the levis are still around. Apparently no creature, demon, Angel or anything sought out Sam or did anything to him for that entire year. I know it’s just a preview but so far none of the previews hinted that Sam had a problem with anything creature wise. Dean should catch up with his brother and chill before rushing into hunting right off the bat. I know Cas will be back and I dearly love his character, but he has a lot of redeeming to do because of all the grief HE caused everyone. Hopefully, this will be their best year yet!

17. J says:

Futurama’s Amy Wong, y’all!

18. laura says:

OMG CAS! Finally!

19. silver says:

I can’t wait to find out what happpened to Dean and Cas in purgatory, how they met Benny and how he ended up helping them. What happed to Cas that made Dean feel he had completely lost Cas in purgatory?

I’m very excited about Dean’s new storyline and hopefully, this one won’t be dropped or given to other characters as the show keeps doing every season. Let Dean keep something of his own, please.

I also can’t wait to see how Dean and Cas will reunite if/when Cas gets out of purgatory and what role he will play in the lives of the Winchester.

But most of all, I’m so happy that Dean finally has a story of his own. It’s an exciting one and I pray that Carver makes this season great.

20. At last some pictuers of Cas i was getting worrried about him. poor baby he looks so brokern in that picture by the river. TPTB are cruel to the cas fans they keep killing him of then bring him back only to make him suffer. Enough is enough STOP HURTING CASTIEL! ON a lighter note i heard he will be interacting with another angel, also about time Dean had a storyline he is my favourite winchester and he looked bad ass in the pictuers.

21. JW says:

I really like the look of the Benny character. He sounds really intriguing and I am looking forward to his interactions with Dean.

22. TheDude says:

I’m surprised there’s going to be so much Kevin this year. It’s an interesting choice, for sure. Not sure how I feel about the character.

23. cj says:

Wait…Castiel’s flashbacks “which also feature Dean”. I hope it’s your bias phrasing and that Purgatory isn’t just Castiel’s POV with a side of Dean.

24. Carrie says:

Ooh, I can’t wait to see Dean in purgatory. Great pictures! I like what their vision of purgatory looks like. Episode 2 looks like it’ll be even more exciting than episode 1.

25. erb says:

Benny looks menacing. Dean looks badass. Not sure what to make of Cas. He seems wary, perhaps? I was hoping for a BAMF Cas, but I’m just not sure where Carver intends to take him. What I do know is that Castiel is my favorite and he’s why I gave SPN a second look and why I’ll give it another chance. CAS!! You better be okay.

26. Mare says:

These look awesome, thank you so very much! I can’t wait to see the Purgatory storyline!!! I am so excited about that, and so excited that Dean has a storyline this season! It’s been so long, I’ve forgotten what it feels like to be looking forward to Dean actually having a story! And I am so curious to see what the dynamics will be between Dean, Benny, and Castiel there!

And count me in along with so many others as hoping that Castiel will be back in the present. He’s my second favorite character, and I need him back to interacting with my first favorite character, Dean Winchester, again!

Bring on Season 8!

27. Isabela says:

I’ve forgotten what it feels like to be looking forward to Supernatural!…And now…I am very excited to see the new season.

Dean meet Castiel in Hell…and move to Purgatory ….and I really whant to know what happened there.

Dean says that “Cas didn’t make the trip back home with him…because things got pretty hairy towards the end, and he just let go”.

OMG….did castiel died in Purgatory? Stop giving him back and taking him away.

It’s their fiendship that I like more.

Benny…well he’s just to sexy for clothes.

28. Sara says:

Like so many others, I’m thrilled that Dean appears to be getting a meatier sl this season that will allow Jensen Ackles to be all that he can be as an actor on this show again. Best Hunter on the Planet UltraBadA** Dean is my favorite flavor of the character. Hopefully Carver will keep him that way. I love the Dean and Cas friendship, too, so hope Carver won’t destroy it.

29. Ella says:

OMGEEEEE!!! Cas! How Misha manages to look so hot while scruffy is beyond me. Jensen too. Cannot wait for their flashback scenes in purgatory. I hope they have some bonding reparatory moments like season 5, none of the snarky meanness of seasons 6 and 7!

• I agree with what you said Ella. Dean and Castiels friend ship in 6&7 seemed strained nothing like the close friendship they had in 5. Infact i thought Dean treated Cas like his personal weapon then a friend in season 6.

30. Sunset says:

I foresee an Evil Dean…and I think Benny is gonna be the driving force behind it. It’s gonna be really awesome to see Jensen flex his acting chops. Maybe Dean is the big bad for this season. I mean, what’s more dangerous than a righteous man with a broken soul??? And it would really be cool if they let Sam and/or Cas save him, you know, have someone fret over Dean for a change.

31. Miami says:

I am liking this Benny strange bed fellow character. Well done Supernatural.