Ratings: X Factor Climbs Again, Glee Steady, NBC Comedy Premieres Mostly Drop

Fox’s The X Factor saw a second straight night of week-to-week growth on Thursday, drawing 9.9 million total viewers and a 3.4 demo rating — up 19 and 10 percent from its season opener, Part 2.

Leading out of that, Glee matched its season-opening audience of 7.4 mil while dipping just 6 percent in the demo (to a 2.9).

Over on NBC, the premiere of its Thursday comedy line-up alas resulted in some frowny faces.

RELATED | NBC’s Thursday Comedy Premieres: Grade ‘Em Now!

Leading out of the SNL Election Special (5.2 mi/1.6), Up All Night returned to 3.14 million total viewers and a 1.3 rating, which is down some 40 percent from its regularly scheduled Season 1 premiere (but off just two tenths in the demo from its freshman finale). The Office‘s final season premiere built on that, rising to 4.32 mil/2.1, which is also down more than 40 percent year over year, while falling just shy of its May finale.

Parks and Recreation then opened its new season with 3.52 mil and a 1.7, which is right on par with its finale yet down about 15 percent from its previous premiere.

RELATED | Read Michael Slezak’s Recaps of The X Factor and Glee

PREMIERING NEXT THURSDAY: ABC’s Last Resort (new; read review), Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal, and CBS’ The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Person of Interest and Elementary (new; read review).

1. tvaddict says:

Poor NBC comedy Thursday. The only one I watch is Parks & Rec and at least it is doing better than Up All Night. I hate to see what happens when all the other shows premiere next week

2. whatever says:

Everybody talking about Glee’s ratings falling 6% but TVLine and E! say they are steady lol Manipulation at best

• Maria says:

Manipulation? Not so much if you are paying attention. The ratings are steady in the overall household ratings from last week to this week. They are down 6% in the all important demo (18-49 age group that the advertisers pay the most attention to). The demo was 3.3 last week. It’s 2.9 this week. 6% drop. It’s all numbers, how is this manipulation? LOL.

3. Have they figured out that Community wasn’t the problem yet?

• michelle says:

Seriously, no matter what they air on Thursday nights ends up doing poorly. Everyone’s been talking about Go On being a hit, but try putting it on Thursdays without that cushy Voice lead-in and let’s see how well it does. Shows like Community and Parks and Rec are so great, but have never gotten the kind of support these new “broader” comedies are receiving. Sure, there are probably some people who’ve seen them and dismissed them, but I also believe there are many who just aren’t even aware of them due to poor scheduling and promotion.

4. L says:

I watched Parks & Rec and Wilfred. I think Wilffy needs serious doggy discipline.

5. rissa says:

Next week will probably be the killer for Glee. They will be going up against season premiers of Grey’s Anatomy & Person of Interest. I doubt it will help but Glee needs to advertise the hell out of Sarah Jessica Parker guest starring and I’m not sure if Cory (Finn) is back next week or not.

6. tp says:

I’m waiting for everyone to say how Up All Night was….thoughts?

7. JR says:

If I was Glee’s showrunner I’d be worried. Not a good sign that Glee’s #s dropped from last week and that it didn’t keep X-Factor’s audience this week—especially given that Grey’s Anatomy hasn’t premiered yet. My advice: Get Finn in NY ASAP and give him a compelling story. Jumpstart Kurt’s story and make him witty, snarky and fun. Get Santana’s story started. Continue Cassie July and Rachel’s storyline. Continue the McKinley stories (the new kids will grow on us). Fewer songs and use songs that support the story line (remember how good S1 was? Remember how sometimes there were only 3-4 songs/episode? And how the songs foreshadowed and provided such great subtext to the story?) Focus on the characters/actors that can actually act (Lea, Cory, Chris) use the ones that really can’t act (Heather, Sam, Alex) in the background (like Season 1’s Greek chorus). Use the mediocre ones (Chord, Darren, Brody) sparingly. And, stop pandering to and trolling the fandoms!

• ashley says:

lol Finchel fan, Cory/Finn doesnt have anything to do with he ratings. JFC, the delusion some of you people have.

• Russ says:

I find Glee fans too picky. They always bitch about something, myself included during season 2 and half of season 3. The show won’t every get back to how it was in season 1, it might hit the mark for a episode ever now and then but glee has always always always been inconsistent.
      I think I’m just tired of expecting so much from this show and being disappointed, thats why I complained so much during season 2 (as did everyone else).
      I still like glee and will continue to watch it, but I just don’t care as much. Its sound kinda bad but its made me not focus the bad storylines and enjoy the good storyline more. I would recommend trying it.

8. Patrick says:

NBC’s problem is that it has no good shows to establish a beachhead. There is nothing on at 8, outside the Voice, to get viewers to NBC. Without that show, NBC can’t get others to watch their good shows. If there was a Friends to schedule around, lots of these NBC shows would be hits. But no one samples the shows, so they are low rated.

NBC is searching for monster hits. But they need some broad comedies that appeal to the masses. Their high brow comedies could build off of that.

• Ally Oop says:

I think you are far overestimating the power of the leadin. In today’s tv land, studies show that people tend to preschedule their shows using their onscreen cable/satellite guide which shows what’s gonna be on a few days ahead of time. However, the promos shown during a show (the commercials/previews) have a lot of power to catch viewers’ attention and for a show like Glee, there aren’t any other shows on NBC with similar audiences that could promote Glee.

9. Amanda says:

If Glee’s numbers are already dipping when they only had one block of competitors…once ABC and CBS and CW are back, the numbers are going to be catastrophic. IF there is another season, it will likely be the last.

• Ally Oop says:

We could all see that coming a mile away. A lot of people who watch Glee also watch Grey’s and while most people will use timeshift/pvrs to catch both shows, if push came to shove, I think a large majority would choose Grey’s over Glee. Am I wrong? And I’m not gonna even mention the likely DOA Beauty & the Beast which won’t stand a chance.

• l says:

When ur right ur right! I watch glee and Grey’s and I’m thinking about choosing Grey’s live.

• Vi says:

I watch Person of Interest, Greys, Glee and want to check out Beauty and the Beast. My DVR only will record/watch 2 shows at a time. The CW is not on demand, either is Person of Interest. I just have to decide if I like Beauty enough to watch it over watching Grey’s live. I will DVR Person of Interest and watch Glee and possibly Grey’s on Demand. Am glad that the CW is not premiering their shows yet so i only have conflicts with 3 shows instead of 4 this coming week. Too bad the networks do this. Some will obviously loose. Hope they try moving things around, instead of cancelling too soon.

10. @Patrick I completely agree with your comment. NBC has to do something to get our attention. I do love The Voice but so far that’s the only show I’ll watch but come Monday I’ll be.missing it to watch Bones and TiVo HIMYM and the rest of CBS Monday nights. I wish they would move The Voice to Tuesday and Wednesday nights. It already beat out X Factor on a Wednesday and there isn’t much on Wednesday (Well in my opinion lol)

11. Jared says:

NBC will be moving Community and Whitney back to Thursdays in no time. Not that those ratings will be any better. The office should have ended when Steve Carrell left. Now there just beating a dead horse.

12. Eric says:

So, seriously, Glee’s rating in total viewers, the demo dipped 6% and people are already predicting cancellation. I doubt that is going to happen. I honestly don’t think that the audience for Glee and Grey’s is the same. I think next week the ratings for Glee will be steady. I would be nervous if there was a significant, key word significant, drop in the ratings from the first to the second episode but there wasn’t. Also, both Glee episodes are in the top ten on iTunes and I’m sure they will get bumps when DVR playback is factored in. I don’t think Glee will be getting cancelled this season.

13. emma says:

biggest finchel hater trying to justify the word steady when the story so far is rachell still hoping for finn wait till the other shoe drops the general audience doesnt know they are being manipullated yet. when you take hope away you take the reason to watch away

14. Meg says:

Parks and Rec is such a great show!! It’s a shame that more people aren’t watching!! Best comedy out there.

15. greysfan says:

Guess NBC’s run of luck is all but over with those results. Good to see Glee and X Factor steady.

16. Kelly says:

New Thursday Night football has to be drawing a lot of viewership away from scripted TV right?

• Vi says:

Long as it’s on the NFL networkTime Warner didn’t offer it. As of tomorrow it will. So my son and husband will be moving to football and have to DVR their shows. We actually have 4 DVR’s in our house …. can only record 2 shows at a time adding football into the mix that would make 5 things at 9 to possibly try to watch. Wish some shows could move to another night. Yes there are still days/time that i find nothing to watch (except to catch up on my dvr’d shows)