Exclusive

Exclusive Parenthood Preview: Ray Romano’s Hank Creates Conflict Between Sarah and Mark

Fans of Parenthood‘s Mark and Sarah will not be happy to hear that, beginning this Tuesday (NBC, 10/9c), Ray Romano’s grumbly Hank will start to make waves in the pair’s relationship… albeit, unintentionally.

In the following exclusive first look, the newly betrothed couple’s time together is tainted when Sarah begins to go on and on (and on and on) about Hank and his disinterest in furthering his career as an artist. (She’s so upset she decides to vent — to Mark! — over a pint of ice cream.)

RELATED | Monica Potter Shares the Shocking Story Behind Parenthood‘s Devastating Twist

Watch the sneak peek below, and then hit the comments with your snappy judgements on Sarah’s (too?) passionate reaction to another man.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, First Look, Video

1. Lyla says:

Can’t leave a comment … The clip will NOT download … But from the preview & what I have read- Monica Potter is going win an Emmy portraying three fight with breast cancer. I hope the portrayal is as real as projected. I have had more than a few friends/ relatives battle the disease. Some winning/ most not due to other cancers that develop. As hard as it will be to watch . It needs to be realistic and not Hollywood drama!!!!! The drama needs to disappear and have it true to life!!!

• Lynne Caban says:

Ray Romano is A nice looking man … Why would they make him look so bad on parenthood …. Where’s his beautiful silver hair … Why would they make him get rid of it …… And he’s perfect for Sarah !!!!!!!!

2. A says:

I like Hank better than Mark, tbh. (actually, I like most of her other romantic interests better than mark, lol).

I just don’t see the spark between her and mark ;( Though since Ray Romano is only doing a guest spot, I guess him and Sarah won’t go anywhere :(

• Mick says:

Ray Romano and Jason Ritter are both guest stars, so technically they could ask Romano to come back for more episodes and Ritter not to come back for more.

• lynnecaban says:

I think hank will be around a lot longer than Mark ….. At least I hope he is !!!!! He goes better with Sarah …. Don’t ever count Ray Romano out !!!!!!!!

3. Alex says:

Ray Romano doesn’t bother me as much as I thought he would.

• Caitorade says:

Right?
      I was going, “I for sure don’t think this is the right role for Jason Ritter, and boy it’s gonna get worse with Ray Romano of all people,” and then……he was alright. What’s up with that?

4. Terry says:

Sara can be so stupid sometimes

• Kay says:

She is the most annoying character on this show, which I love. And I say that from the perspective of a free-spirited, freelance writer who raised a girl and a boy on my own. Everyone of her scenes makes me want to throw a shoe at the TV and scream Grow up! In fact, minus the shoe-throwing, that is exactly what I do.

5. Ally Oop says:

when I read the headline for this one I rolled my eyes. Duh. Wasn’t that the point of Hank’s character–to come between Sarah and Mark. I honestly don’t think either one is good with Sarah. She had more chemistry with John Corbett’s character.

And Monica Potter has been awesome on this show thus far–if this season doesn’t get her an Emmy nod, nothing will.

Parenthood continues to be the most underrrated show on TV.

6. Lily says:

Mark Cyr is way better for Sarah than Hank. And just because there are “waves” doesn’t mean that Sarah and Mark break up. While I think Ray is funny, there is no universe in which a character played by Lauren Graham should pick him over Jason Ritter. Ray and Lauren have chemistry in humor, NOT sexual chemistry. Jason Ritter needs to be a regular cast member stat so they can stop screwing with Sarah’s love life. All the other Braverman siblings’ significant others are regular cast members. Parenthood writers and producers take note!

• Foreverland says:

LOL this is laughable, Sarah and Mark has something called Anti-Chemistry. Even some Sark fans agree that they are lifeless and dull together, Sark suck. Hank and Sarah have it all, romantic chemistry, sexual chemistry and a connection.

Jason Ritter isn’t a regular like all the other Braverman significanst, newsflash because he isn’t yet a permanent significant other for Sarah, its still up in the air who Sarah’s Mr right is, she isnt called a wandering Braverman for nothing . They might have to photoshop Mark out of the family pictures, its been for-shadowed and pre-hinted lol.

7. Kylee says:

I just don’t see things working out between Sarah and Mark. It just seems so forced with them…not sure about Hank but perhaps he will make her rethink her relationship with Mark. And the family photo is definitely going to play a part in the whole story!

8. karen says:

Love Jason Ritter. Please don’t make him and Sarah break up. Ray Romano is annoying.

9. Wendy says:

Mark and Sarah just don’t fit. I think she likes Hank not for his looks which must be what she saw in Mark, but his intelligence and being an adult. She may fall for him because of that. It doesn’t always have to be looks you know!

10. tp says:

Completely agree that Sarah and Mark don’t fit. One day he’s gonna want kids, she’s past that. He wants to get up and move/ travel the world. She has a teenage son. They’re just at different phases of life. Just because you love someone doesn’t mean it’s going to work out.

• Kim R says:

This is exactly how I feel about Sarah and Mark. They are not in the same place in their lives as characters. He is adorable and their conversations are funny but other than that I’m not getting or believing it. And Ray as Hank has pleasantly suprised me. It’s good. He is more of a challenge to Sarah on an adult level. I like it. :)

11. Emily says:

After the way they’ve built Mark up in this show, how can they just kick him to the curb?! Over this grumpy character!! *Messed* up. After following Lauren Graham’s characters, Lorelai and Sara, I am FED UP with her ditching awesome guys who love her!!

• Bayside says:

They weren’t building Mark lol, they were building Sarah up. Its always been about Sarah. Mark wants babies, Sarah is past that. Mark is no way ready to be a father figure to Sarah’s grown kids. Yes in this case, Age is going to be a factor i puling them apart, as much as they tried to make it work or a non-issue. Like everyone is saying, they are in two different places in their lives, and its getting to a point were they are like strangers together and its awkward to watch. As cute as their courtship was, they just have very little chemistry and cant really relate much to one another.

• Bayside says:

Hank seems more better for Sarah than hank, he challenges her to grow up and take things seriously. And he seems to have a pessimistic view about love and life, while Sarah is carefree and cheerful. Eventually they will bring out the best in each other, learn from one another, and help each other to raise their beautiful children.

• Bayside says:

I mean Hank seems more better for Sarah than MARK ~

lol.

Hank is the better guy for Sarah, let Mark hang out with the the other kids. Him and Amber would have been better couple once she left school with more chemistry and similar dreams at this point in their lives. Now that’s icky, coz he already slept with her mother.

12. Susan says:

I’ve never liked the Mark charactor for Sarah. I think the whole family portrait issue and Mark pushing his way into the picture was a foreshadow of “this is why we don’t have boyfriends/girlfriends or fiances in the portrait Sarah” after she and Mark break up. I hope Ray Ramano (Hank) stays, I think he’s perfect for Sarah more so than Mark is.

13. Syn says:

Hank reminds me in parts of Zeke. Frank, opinionated, tough exterior but teddy bear insides…. A girl usually falls for the guy that is like her dad.:)I like Ray, hope he stays!

14. Kelley Kay King says:

I can’t really even think about any of this because I have Kristina’s deal on my heart~ i bawled my head off from the second I saw them giving her the mammogram because I KNEW they were going to do this! This show deals with the heart felt stuff we truly encounter in our lives~ if only our families were as awesome as the Braverman’s when it comes to sticking together and being there for each other. Don’t get me wrong I love my family I just mean I always wanted a big close family like theirs. I am praying for Adam and Kristina right now~ and feeling for Hatti and Max. Ray is funny & I like him but Sarah’s so flaky no telling what will go down with her now. sigh~ Parenthood is the greatest show, it should get more kudos!! <3 love love love it!

15. Jana says:

I don´t want Sarah and Mark to break up. Sarah is so flakey about guys, if she ditches Mark even though she is now engaged to him I will loose my respect for her. If you agree to marry someone you should be deep in love and not rethink things later! I love Sarah. Please, don´t make me hate her.

• tp says:

Would you rather she marry him while she knows she doesn’t love him the way he deserves? Breaking up with someone when you’re engaged takes a lot strength. Everyone is entitled to change their mind. She thinks Mark is great, because he is, but he’s not right for her.

16. Claire says:

I really hope Mark stays. He is just the sweetest and he has pursued her to no end. Jason Ritter is fantastic! He was great in The Event and they cancelled that show, so I really hope they don’t take him off another show where he is fantastic

17. Linderella says:

Mark is so not right for Sarah…wait a few years and he’d be great with Amber!!! Whether Hank is “the guy” for Sarah doesn’t really matter – he’s in her head and that will mean trouble with Mark.

18. Hojana says:

Jason Ritter character is a joke.

19. Terry says:

Hope she starts a romance with Ray, they go better together.

20. Karen says:

Hank & Sarah! Yep!!

21. Dusty says:

I think Mark & Sarah are cute together, but ultimately the age difference is too much. Like others said here, they are just in 2 different places in their lives. I don’t think Sarah will end up with Hank romantically, but I do think her (platonic) relationship with Hank will make her realize that she & Mark are not right together. I think the point of bringing in Ray Romano’s character will be to make Sarah think about her dynamic with Mark, & that she would be better off finding someone who has already gone through certain life experiences like she has, & that Mark is better off with someone who has not gone through those things yet with whom he can have those first-time experiences (kids, travel, etc.).

22. Lillie says:

heh. when i first glanced at the headline, i though Ray was going to be Jason’s father!I even interpreted ep. 4 as him trying to come to terms with it and confessing to sarah — oops.
    well… i do like the idea of he and sarah character better BUT it doesn’t help her character grow at all. she’s all about enabling him like she did with her first husband. it’s a quirky, adorable, woody allen-y, toxic relationship. writing’s fantastic though. (totally lost it when Mae said,”Uncle adam…?” and her eyes started welling up.) Man! It’s gonna be a good season. yay!

23. Katie says:

Sarah and Mark have become without a doubt one of my favorite couples on the show. They have fantastic chemistry together, Jason Ritter is an AMAZING addition to the cast (his Emmy nom very well deserved), I really believe their relationship as a couple and, in terms of drama, they just have much more interesting obstacles together then Hank (Ray R.) and Sara ever would (Hank and Sarah having similar pasts and coming together we’ve so seen on TV many times, vs. the realistic obstacles that come with people falling in love and committing for life to one another, despite an age difference, kids and no kids, etc.). Also, Hank is perfectly interesting as a character, but as a romantic interest for Sarah? It’s already bothering me, just being hinted at it. Mostly, because at this stage I really think Sarah is very much in love with Mark. And don’t think she would be drawn to someone romantically like Hank. We’re really invested in her and Mark getting to this point so I really hope it doesn’t stray from that path for long and we get to see Sarah and Mark get married soon, and the obstacles they face from life/age/kids, etc. despite their love and commitment to one another. In short, I will be totally heartbroken if they don’t work out as they are one of my favorite couples, not just on Parenthood right now, but on TV period. And that is really saying something.

24. Meagan says:

Ugh! So sick of Mark. All their scenes make me feel dirty or embarrassed. As much as I’m pulling for Sarah to finally be happy, I just don’t see it being with Mark. Everything seems so forced! And when Sarah said “this time it’ll be forever”, it felt like she was trying to convince herself. Yes, some couples make it despite age, kids v. no kids, and different life experiences, but it just isn’t working out with her and Mark.

About Kristina. Bawled my eyes out!! And when she told Adam to let her be scared, I felt like it was me talking to my husband, because he tries to fix everything too. Sign of a good man, right there. I hope that they give their family a break soon, because, honestly, as soon as they get to some even footing, they are jerked around again. But I guess that’s true of all lives. Love Parenthood, and can’t wait for more.

25. Linda says:

I LOVE Jason Ritter…he is as cute as his father John. And I adore him as Mark with Sarah!
    I love that an older women is with a younger man….they always make it the other way around! I think they are great together…they will face their problems together with love and humor. I like Ray but I don’t want him with Sarah…keep them as friends only. I can’t wait for Sarah and Mark to get married!

26. Daniel says:

I like Jason Ritter a lot, loved his dad as well. But I dont think the Mark character will last that much longer. I think they’re phasing him out slowly. Surprisingly Ray Romano’s character and Sarah Braverman have real good chemistry which I never thought would happen. I also think that ever since this past episode with his daughter coming to visit and her and Sarah bonding, I seriously think that she’ll end up falling for him and they’ll get serious, just a speculation but I dont’ think the Braverman’s like Mark any way..He’s tough on Drew and they didn’t even want him in the family photo.

27. Carole Lee says:

I loved Ray in Everybody Loves Raymond, but I cannot stand his character in Parenthood, he is so negative and there is not chemistry between him and Sarah – I love Mark and Sarah they are so great together and have so much positive chemistry, I really hope that they take Ray out of this series