Supernatural Premiere Preview: Watch Sam and Dean's Big Reunion!

Supernatural Jensen AcklesThe CW’s Supernatural will bring the Winchesters back together after a year spent apart in the Season 8 premiere airing Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 9/8c, and we’ve got a first look at that long-awaited reunion. (Yes, there are hugs involved.)

FALL PREVIEW | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of Supernatural — Plus 46 Other Shows!

But before the brothers can just be happy to see each other again, Dean puts them both through a test to rule out that one of them isn’t a demon, Leviathan or shape shifter. Then Dean drops the bomb that Cas didn’t come back with him because… something happened to him in purgatory.

“Things got pretty hairy towards the end, and he just let go,” explains the elder Winchester, clearly holding back on all the details of what went down.

RELATED | Supernatural Scoop: Stargate’s Amanda Tapping Snags Major Role – Plus: M*A*S*H Vet to Guest!

Press PLAY to watch the preview and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. tamikkob says:

typo – hair to hairy… and OMG! I can’t wait! and poor CAS! :(

2. archie says:

I wonder who cut deans hair while he was down there

3. Kay says:

The Cas mystery begins right off the bat. I wonder why the writers feel compelled to make Cas’ fate a mystery every single time? It’s like he’s the only interesting character left! ;) Dean, you are hiding a lot!

4. Ace says:

Dean’s voice gets deeper and growlier every season.

5. Mikaylah says:

Cas better be okay. I adore that angel. I’m definitely interested to know what Cas was like in Purgatory. I wonder if he was still the broken Cas, or did he angel up?

6. dave says:

Purgatory would have been an interesting story to follow but of course they’re so out of creative ideas on Supernatural that they skip over the whole thing and we return to same old, same old boys reunite to fight another lame and redundant monster of the week.Well, at least it seems that way, The ghost of Sera Gamble seems to linger.

7. Katie says:

Gah, Dean seems broken by what (may have) happened to Cas. I’m sorta tired of broken!Dean. Hope he gets the mojo back to rescue his angel boyfran from Purgatory!

8. Sally says:

Now that I’ve seen this preview I have to say I’m more excited for the premier than I was before. I was a little scared about what they’d do after the disaster that was season 7 but now I’m intrigued. Also I’m slightly terrified for Cas. There’s something Dean isn’t telling Sam and I’m worried that Cas may not be dead but that something worse happened to him in purgatory. God only knows what though. These writers can do things I’d never even dream of

9. Victoria says:

Is it just me, or does it seem like Dean did something to Cas?

And saying he’s gone just means he’ll have a lot of explaining to do when Cas returns.

10. Ashleytv says:

Goddammit, Sammy. Just… do me a freaking favour already… and CUT YOUR DAMN HAIR! I miss the hair of season 2 and 3. That was good hair. This… this is not good hair. At all. Hell… I can cut that if you need me too!

11. adam says:

His Hair Is Awesome lol.

12. Heather says:

I’m just in it for the my-brother’s-back-from-the-dead hugs. Peacing back out now. Thanks for the clip!

13. Ruby says:

“I guess standing too close to exploding Dick will send you straight to purgatory.” AHAHAHA And THIS is why I still watch this show. Maybe their storylines have become redundant, but these boys breathe so much life into this show, I could never, ever let it go. They’ve given me way too much happiness over the years, and everything now is just gravy.

14. Ella says:

Nooo! I won’t believe it till I see it, Cas can’t be gone! Ohhh man, Dean’s heartbroken face, my HEART. I just…I can’t. He’s really rough around the edges from Purgatory, another outstanding performance by Jensen Ackles. I too think it would have been more interesting to have him and Cas down there for the first few episodes but since they didn’t go that route, I hope they explore the hell out of it in flashbacks. And whatever happens, I truly hope Dean didn’t end up having to kill Castiel in Purgatory. I hope our angel resurfaces topside. And I HOPE, more than anything, that we finally get a Dean/Castiel HUG! We’ve been waiting 4 seasons!

15. Mare says:

Oh, wonderful clip!!! I like the edge to Dean. He’s a little similar to Dean2014, tho not quite as hardened. He’s a tad bit off and tad bit harder. But the vulnerability shows when he talks about Cass. I knew they were going to start off that mystery right off the bat, and I’m really looking forward to the flashbacks and the story unfolding of what happened to Dean and Cass in Purgatory. I am most excited about that! And I can’t wait to see what Purgatory has done to Dean. I think unlike Hell, we won’t see a broken Dean, so much as a ragged edge one. Looking forward to it!

16. MyReligionIsWhovian says:

Thank God! The Metallicar is back! Oh…and Dean. That’s good too.

17. Marie says:

I never get tired of Winchester reunions! So happy to see the brothers reunited and back with the car! I sorely missed the Impala last season. And to those who keep complaining about Jared’s hair, I personally love the length this season and I think it suits his face.