Glee Recap: Britney, Baby, One More Time

glee rachel oopsJust because Glee dipped into the Britney Spears songbook for the second time in its four-season history doesn’t mean Fox’s (partial) high school musical is out of fresh ideas. (SPOILERS ahead, so stop reading if you haven’t seen this week’s episode.)

Indeed, “Britney 2.0″ found Rachel channeling her inner sex kitten (while still finding time to whip up an oversized serving of foot-in-mouth stew), Brittany grappling with loneliness (and her catastrophic academic record), and Mr. Schuester huffing and puffing that New Directions might come under fire from the National Show Choir Board of Review. (Insert eye roll here.)

Okay, okay, so Schue’s persnickety brand of self-righteousness is familiar territory, but two out of three’s not too shabby, right?

Anyhow, if you were too busy hanging with Lord Tubbington and his new gang, here’s what you missed on Glee.

* Sue ousted Brittany from the Cheerios because of her pitiful grades (apparently drawing a “crayonscape” of Happyville, the town where math was never invented, wasn’t the right way to go on her algebra test). The subsequent ban on her rocking a high pony, along with a lack of attention from college-set girlfriend Santana, sent Brittany into a tailspin than included binge eating, a violent assault on Jacob Ben Israel using an umbrella (he was kinda asking for it), and eventually, an unsuccessful attempt to lip sync a New Directions performance at the fall assembly. While fellow dim blonde Sam eventually offered a little understanding — and possibly a romantic rival who might draw Santana’s wrath? — and helped Brittany recover from “rock bottom,” the girl who can’t tell the difference between George Washington and Glenn Close (a truly amazing sight gag) ended the episode with a case of melancholy, staring glumly aT an instant-message program that found Santana “unavailable.” It was a sad end to an episode that contained dozens of Brittany-centric laughs, not the least of which was “Kiki,” the smart older cousin of Siri that lived inside the super-cheap phone Brit found at the laundromat. (Here’s hoping Kiki becomes a recurring presence in Brittany’s life throughout the season, yes?) (Also priceless: Sam’s map with the misspelled message “meet me hear.” I know Brittana fans don’t want to hear it, but from an intellectual perspective, Sam and Brittany were kinda made for each other, no?)

* Cassandra July continued to torment Rachel in Dance 101, calling her “awkward and tentative” in her body. This prompted our plucky heroine to enlist new crush Brody and some of her classmates to put on a piping-hot performance of “Oops!…I Did It Again.” When the wretched dance instructor responded by telling Rachel she was best-qualified for roles like Maria von Trapp, Willy Loman and Shrek, Rachel exploded, telling Ms. July that she’s nasty to her students because “we’re the future, and you’re just some YouTube joke!” (“Crazy July” it seems, fell from Broadway grace a decade ago after attacking a cellphone user in the middle of a performance. We won’t quibble that YouTube didn’t launch till 2005.) Due to school policy, Rachel was allowed to return to Dance 101, but was forced to hand-wash the class’s dance belts as punishment. (As if!) And so the torment will continue?

* On a personal front, Rachel went and painted the exposed brick wall of hers and Kurt’s $1,800-a-month apartment in Bushwick, with a giant heart and the name Finn. (I hate to see what her landlord will charge her for that act of “redecorating.”) But by episode’s end, she’d painted over the romantic installation, possibly because the persistent Brody had shown up at her dance class, and then at her apartment bearing gifts of orchids and promises that he’d always be thinking about kissing her. The real question, though, is whether there was foreshadowing in Cassie’s passing comment about Brody’s continued interest in “ingénues.” If this isn’t the dude’s first time trolling the freshman dorms for naive love interests, one has to wonder about his intentions, no? Still, I applaud the Glee writing staff for at least temporarily ignoring the brickbat-wielding mobs chanting “Finchel!” and exploring the realistic story of a young woman exploring her options in a new city and a new life — even if she ends up making bad mistakes along the way. One burning question though: Would Kurt so readily make himself scarce to give Rachel and Brody their space, when it might lead to his BFF breaking his stepbrother’s heart? It’s possible, but I’d have liked a little more clarity on the matter.

* Meanwhile, back at McKinley, Marley continued making googly eyes at Jake, he invited her to hang out by the bleachers, and she said “heck yeah” despite his rep as a womanizer. A kiss almost happened, but Marley dodged it at the last second, opting to let Jake chivalrously loan her his jacket to ward off an autumn chill. Mr. Schue then brought Jake’s estranged half-brother, Noah, all the way from California for what amounted to a 60-second pep talk in the McKinley choir room with a basic message of “join glee club; it’ll change your life.” (Wait, so these guys meet for the very first time, and all they discuss is whether or not to join New Directions?) Noah did have “a date with a chick who was third runner-up on The Bachelor,” though, so I guess you can’t blame him for not sticking around. Still, who paid for that plane ticket? The episode closed with Jake agreeing to attend practice in the choir room, Marley thinking it might be a sign of a brewing romance, and then Kitty revealing that, nope, it was too late: She’s Jake’s new girlfriend. Love triangle instated!

And now, let’s get to grading this week’s musical performances:

* Brittany and the Cheerios, “Hold It Against Me” | B- (might’ve been an A- had it not been for the aggressively fast editing that made it impossible to appreciate the actual choreography)

* Blaine and Artie, “Boys”/”Boyfriend” | B

* Unique and Tina, “Womanizer” | B+

* Sam, Tina and Joe, “3″ | C (this just felt like a time-filler with no connection to the episode; also, I really think this might be Britney’s worst single ever)

* Marley and Jake, “(You Drive Me) Crazy”/”Crazy” | A- (clever, clever mashup)

* Rachel, “Oops!…I Did It Again” | A- (Anyone think for a moment that Rachel might throw in the rap from Paula Abdul’s “Cold Hearted”? A recapper can dream.)

* Brittany and New Directions, “Gimme More” | N/A (We do not grade lip synced performances, lest we come under scrutiny of the National TV Recappers Board of Review)

* Marley, “Everytime” | B

And with that, let me turn things over to you: What did you think of “Britney 2.0″? What was your favorite musical number? Take our poll below, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Kalee says:

Ohio pacing was all over the place. Womanizer/3/You Drive Me Crazy plus a whole lotta location changes before the commercial break. At least the latter two songs plus Oops… were nice new renditions. The rest were okay but uninspired.

But OMG, Jayma Mays (and probably Dianna Aggron) got bumped down to “guest stars”!

2. Brian says:

I would sign up to be stalked by Brody.

3. Nia says:

Tonights episode was so freaking BORING, I just hope the whole season isn’t like this. I defiantly think that they could have done a better job with the music or it could be that i’m just not into Brittany Spears. Uggh…. and then I just CANNOT deal with Brody. I’m not a stan for Finn or for anyone on the show, its just that he (Brody) does too much to get Rachel’s attention. I love the fact the Kurt is in New York with her though.

4. Casey says:

I’m still not over the fact that the producers had the perfect Rachel replacement with an actual interesting personality in Harmony, but instead opted to go for the so far Mary-Sueish Marley. Therefore I’m giving every episode a huge fail until I see Lindsay Pearce’s face on my television screen again.

5. COLE says:

It looks like Rachel and Brody are doing some type of dance together next week in the promo, can’t wait to see it

6. Chris says:

I was not impressed with this episode. I liked this one less than the last Britney Spears episode. At least in the last one they re-created some of Britney’s signature looks and videos. This episode was just lackluster… I only really liked one of the songs (You Drive Me Crazy/Crazy) because I liked the arrangement and the vocals. Other than that…blah. Oh and I’m on Team Brody. Finn always mildly criticized Rachel about her personality…but then again, we haven’t really seen much of “Old Rachel” –she’s not self-possessed or obsessed with being #1, New York has humbled her. One thing though, how did Brody know where Rachel lived?

7. Jessica says:

Puck!!! How I’ve missed seeing Mark Salling’s beautiful face

8. kay says:

Totally into Brody and Rachel! They are really cute together so I’m interested to see where their relationship goes

9. Melissa says:

What a creeper Brody is and he can’t act. Sad that Lea has to prop him up for every scene. When does Cory/Finn come back? They always have the best scenes together. FinchelForever.

10. Kelly says:

As someone who thought this season of Glee was going to be the worst yet, I was pleasantly surprised by last nights episode. I thought the music was great. I liked hearing new arrangements of Britney songs. I thought Heather Morris was phenomenally hysterical yet conveyed the underlying sadness Brittany was actually feeling really well. I was even a fan of the NY scenes (which were wholly unrealistic, but since the show is about people breaking out into song and dance everywhere I’ll leave it be). While I am still certain that season four is going to be a hot mess at least the first two episodes didn’t turn me off to the idea of watching the show altogether (like the first episode of season three did! )

• Akemi Chandler says:

Also…i wonder if people commenting about Brody being Stalker like need to stop saying that. STALK or Stalking or being a Stalker

1. to pursue or approach prey, quarry, etc., stealthily. 2. to walk with measured, stiff, or haughty strides: He was so angry he stalked away without saying goodbye. 3. to proceed in a steady, deliberate, or sinister manner: Famine stalked through the nation. 4. Obs. to walk or go stealthily along.

—verb (used with object)

5. to pursue (game, a person, etc.) stealthily. 6. to proceed through (an area) in search of prey or quarry: to stalk the woods for game. 7. to proceed or spread through in a steady or sinister manner: Disease stalked the land.

noun

1. a person who pursues game, prey, or a person stealthily. 2. a person who harasses another person, as a former lover, a famous person, etc., in an aggressive, often threatening and illegal manner: Hollywood stars often have security guards to keep dangerous stalkers at bay.

So far he hasnt been stealthy, or agressive or threatening.Also she approaches him. And he was being nice bring her flowers since the only other person she knows in Nyc is Kurt so hes being friendly. Also he wanted to make sure Rachel was okay in her dance class. Also he hasnt been sinister either. So theres a bit of a word lesson so everyone knows what stalking is or being a stalker.

11. SL says:

More of the NYC, less of Lima (esp Marley, so not the new Rachel).

12. pol75 says:

Did we forget that Cassandra needs a TA? I suggest the mind behind that incredible Starships number and the one able to sing and dance what remains, in my opinion, the best number ever on Glee. Then NY would be so fun that they’d have to steal time from the extremely BORING McKinley storylines. Are we really supposed to watch Finchel happening all over again with Marley and Jake?

13. Kay says:

I was not really impressed with the second episode (Britney 2.0). I did like Blaine and Artie’s duet “Boyfriend” and the ladies version of “Womanizer.” Hope next episode is better.

• Dany says:

No Joe, please…boring dead- end character with a less than stellar voice…

• Sabrina says:

Yes, I love Joe’s voice. It was the best in “3″. My friends and I all love Joe. We do want to see him grow more into a more confident rocker type (more like the real sexy Samuel Larsen). He needs a solo. I think they should put him with Marley. Their voices would be great together and their pesonalities match.

14. LaShawna says:

Yes!!! You thought of “Cold Hearted Snake” as well when you saw Rachel’s performance. It was much better suited to that song, but no, they were hamstrung by having to choose a Britney song to show off Rachel’s sexiness. *sighs* And I’m going to say it- Death to Finchel!! I always hated that couple.

15. Aaron says:

Why do people insist that every song they do has to be tied to the plot or themes? Some of the best numbers they’ve done are just the students singing and having fun. I like 3, it was probably my favorite number of the episode. I’m not familiar with the original version, but I liked the lack of bravado and drama that so many of their performances have.

16. TW says:

More Rachel. Less Tina.

17. Kaitlyn says:

All I’m going to say is zero chemistry with Brody he brings nothing to the show

Finchel forever

18. CS says:

“One burning question though: Would Kurt so readily make himself scarce to give Rachel and Brody their space, when it might lead to his BFF breaking his stepbrother’s heart? It’s possible, but I’d have liked a little more clarity on the matter.”

My thought from that interaction and Kurt’s polite but firm words about Finn giving her space was an indication that Finn may not necessarily be waiting around for her. I think Kurt encouraging her to explore her options was possibly to help soften the blow that Finn may be exploring his own options. Just my two cents about how I interpreted it.

• Kay says:

I agree. And in episode 4 don’t Finn and Rachel officially break up? I thought Brad Falchuk already said that was going to happen. He also said there would be others that may break up as well, but definitely Finn and Rachel. (Of course, that doesn’t mean that they won’t eventually find their way back to each other). I know there is going to be drama for Kurt and Blaine as well, but I’m not so sure that they will break up – it looks like they could but then again you never know. Will just have to watch the episode and see how it all plays out.

19. Greg says:

No wonder Britney said she was not involved in this episode, I cannot believe FOX would even allow Glee to slam her like they did. So many jokes at her expense about her downfall, and recreating the gimme more performance was just low.

20. It looks like Brody is some kind of creep who prey on young girls, Rachel get out of there. And please Finn should be back already.

21. carla says:

aw, 3 was actually my favorite song because of the arrangement. and Tina got to sing!!! I liked most of the songs this episode. And it was good. Not great, but still good. Marley and Jake have great chemistry. Also, I’m not trusting Brody just yet, there’s something about him and Cassandra’s comment that make me think he’s not full of good innocent intentions. I really missed Finn this episode, and actually, I’m so interested in his return and obviously his reunion with Rachel. Sorry (only not really) I can’t really see any other romantic relationship for him and Rachel other than each other. Kurt and Rachel living together is A+, though.

22. Kaycee says:

Episode was boring. Brody was kind of stalkerish and NOT respecting boundaries. I miss Finn. I miss the Glee that I love to be honest.

23. Cheyenne says:

yeah… last night’s episode was a major NO… not funny, not sexy just plain boring. sorry that Finchel roadblock Brody or whatever… not sexy and creepy as hell… he needs to go… soon. it’s not even like he and Rachel have amazing chemistry because they don’t and everything seems extremely forced. bring back Finn please i don’t know how much more i can take of this (#FinchelForever).

24. nikki says:

I liked some of the episode but the amount of jokes about Britney Spears make me feel like glee’s trying to hard to be funny and it was really low, even for them. I enjoyed some of the serious storylines, but the comedy? not so much, if at all.

at least most of the songs were good.

25. carrie says:

Honestly, I love finchel and I love the idea of them exploring their characters individually but I don’t see why they needed to bring in a new love interest for Rachel. Especially this creepy guy. Sorry, I think Dean seems really nice, but Brody is a little too pushy for my taste. I mean he randomly found her in a park in the first episode and in this one he’s trying to kiss her even though he knows she’s in love with her boyfriend and even though he said he’s respect her boundaries? Not to mention him watching her dance outside the classroom during one of those last scenes? Um no thanks, I’ll pass. Plus I miss Finn so much I think he’s very much the heart of this show that ties a lot of things together. And Cory Monteith isn’t bad to look at either! ;)

26. alex says:

ew less stalker brody please i think he’s creepy. not to mention he has like zero chemistry with rachel. bring back finn!

27. daisy says:

what! 3 was totally my favorite song of the night! i love tina i think she should sing a lot more. i hated gimme more ugh why do they let heather sing??

28. Kitty says:

I miss Finn, I dont actually see chemestry between Brody/Rachel, he is nice but he is doing all the things Finn already did, so how can you hate Finn but not him, it’s silly, and he said he respects boundaries well he knew she was in love with Finn and he tried to kiss her anyway lol, I just dont like the character, he seems boring, he may be sexy but thats all. Many people only like him because of his body.

29. Cynthia says:

I didnt care much for the epsiode and the NY stuff fell flat for me second weeke in a row which is extremely disappointing. I hope they add Santana and Finn to that side before I completely lose interest in the show. Lea and Chris are amazing but to put them opposite Dean is just bad. It is clear they cast him for his looks and not his acting ability which makes me not like him even more. Cory and Naya are great actors can we have them intereacting with Lea and Chris??

30. Akemi Chandler says:

This episode wasnt that great. I felt like Brittany was trying to be exactly like Britney. I feel like its still trying to find its traction. Mainly because a lot of the characters viewers fell in love with arent there anymore. Also Im glad Rachel isnt pining over Finn. All last season if felt like the Finchel show and not glee. She does need to grow so does Finn so them being apart and having these experiences will help them grow a people and they might get back together they might not. Brody…hes interesting. I think yes he has a crush on rachel but I think hes also going to help her get her traction at school. Finding her place. Kitty….shes trying way too hard to be quinn and personally having them do a version of Finn and Quinn with kitty and jake is tiring. But kitty herself is by far the dullest character so far. But this is only the second episode of the season hopefully things get better.

31. vrn says:

I hope this Brochel thing dont last so long because i think is BORING, I want to see Rachel single for awhile and then with Finn because three years of relationship cant just go away just for a sexy dance with a guy with abs….sorry, Brody is boring. #FinchelForever

32. paige says:

Really not impressed by this episode at all. It was kind of all over the place for me. I guess I set my hopes too high for this season. Bring back Finn already!

33. Nikki says:

This show needs good actors to make the material watchable. That’s why the scenes with Lea, Chris and Cory always work so well. Last night really fell flat for me. The new McKinley kids feel like they’d be a better fit on the Disney Channel, and the old ones still at McKinley are clearly going to play second fiddle to the mousketeers. NYC is my favorite part, but they can’t expect Lea to carry every scene on her shoulders. Brody is completely flat. He has abs, but can’t act, so why isn’t he on 90210 instead of Glee? Cassandra is supposed to be Sue Sylvester 2.0, but Kate is doing the bitter and mean but not the funny. All I could think last night was that Kurt and Rachel’s Brooklyn loft was definitely big enough to also hold a 6’3″ former QB and a bitchy Latina. I hope this happens before the show completely falls off the rails.

34. jill says:

i am so not liking this season so far. i want finn and santana to be in new york already! and please get rid of brody he’s like a pesky fly that won’t go away i mean creepy stalker much?!

35. Sara says:

I think it’s hilarious people are so down on Brody. I have been a die-hard Finchel fan since the beginning but I really quite like Brody. I think he adds a flair of realty to the show and to Rachel’s life.

Anyhow. Favorite parts are the NYC parts. Couldn’t care less about most of the characters at McKinley.

The Kitty/Jake/Marley storyline is essentially identical to Quinn/Finn/Rachel, in my opinion. A bitchy blonde head cheerleader gets to date the hot guy while the lowly brunette from choir gets left in the dust.

36. me says:

go away brody, i want finn!!

37. Darian says:

I think “Everytime” would have been a better fit for Lea to sing. No offence to the one who plays Marley but I just don’t think her voice is the worlds greatest. But sure that girl can sing but I still think Lea would ahve done that song way better.

38. Crystal says:

I’m sorry but I don’t find Brody interesting at all. I don’t ship Brochel. Maybe it’s cause I don’t but Dean’s acting. I miss Finn and I want him back on my screen. Finchel Forever.

39. AJ says:

I’m a finchel fan but I don’t think it’s my shipping preferences keeping me from liking Brody. He just doesn’t bring anything interesting to the show for me, not to mention Dean’s lack of chemistry with Lea. And I do have to agree he is coming off very insistant and pushy. If they wanted to give Rachel a friend to help her through the tough college times they could have done that without making him seem like a new love interest. I understand the need to shake things up but honestly a love triangle with Rachel and Finn has never proved good to the viewing audience. They’re tired of it and if the writers keep trying to force another one there will be a lot of loyal viewers lost, in my opinion.

40. Dian says:

I really miss Finn/Cory, he is such a great actor, + his chemestry with Lea is amazing, I miss Finchel scenes, they seemed real and unique. Look I dont hate Dean tho sometimes I think he is an arrogant but whatever, he is good looking but thats all, he is not the best singer, his character is doing what finn did in the past for rachel, flowers, telling her she is sexy, also I think he has a plan with Cassandra, dont get me wrong but there;s something about those 2 that is suspicious. I want my Finn scenes now, I know Cory nailed everyone single one. I think Brody is just there to create angts, he is the new Quinn, Santana, Puck for Finchel. His character is not going to last, I just know it

41. hey says:

I think the problem with people liking Brody is that Dean doesn’t give anything to the audience. At least Jesse was funny and had great chemistry with Rachel. Even Sebastian was funny when he came in to be a problem for Klaine. And Carl was really likeable when they brought him in to get between Wemma. All I get from this new guy is a bad feeling.

42. cat says:

this season won’t be good for me until they bring finn back. cory’s the best actor imo and he has the best chemistry with lea. dean/brody just seemed so forced. and what’s up with him and her dance teacher? idk i’m sensing something fishy going on there.

43. Scottyb says:

Am I only the who is finding Glee to be kind of depressing this season? Don’t get me wrong, I think the show is off to a strong start but wow I feel like I should take an anti-depressant after the last two episodes and this with the knowledge knowing the big break-up episode is on the horizon. Part of me thinks this part of Ryan Murphy’s plan to systematically dissect the characters we have come to know and to take each of them to their darkest place.

Heather Morris took Brittany to an entire new level of character development last night, instead of being the comic foil she gave a strong performance of a young woman in crisis. The final scene of Brittany in her bed watching her computer was heartbreaking.

While the show is off to a depressing start, I am looking forward to see how it progresses.

44. Scout says:

This show is awful.

45. coln says:

No, I don’t want romantic Sam and Britt, I’m tired of love triangles, and can’t a girl and a boy be friends for once on this show??!
    And Brittany and Santana have already enough to deal with, they’re in a long distance relationship.

46. Jet says:

I love that Glee should be realistic when it comes to a young adult woman exploring her options, but other SL’s aren’t harped on being realistic/unrealistic because “it’s Glee.” There are people who identify with Finn & Rachel and find the Finchel relationship enjoyable and to be a source of happiness for them, like the other ships’ fans do. I don’t have to like this new character which is an obvious annoying stall; I don’t have to automatically like the actor portraying him (don’t care enough about him to actively dislike him either) and I don’t have to praise the show for “going there.” I watch Glee for Finn and Rachel, period. I want this character gone and I want individual SL’s for Rachel and Finn. That’s my right as a fan of these characters and the actors portraying them.

• Mag says:

I totally agree with you. Brody is just a annoying stall (and Ryan Murphy said so, in a recently THR interview). I thougnt I could support this as a friendship but he’s praying on her vulnerability (and sorry, if they do get together it just screams rebound) and Dean’s acting skills doesn’t help at all (I find it funny that some many like Brody because he’s cute/hot). For those saying that he’s supporting Rachel, Finn already did it, for the last 3 years and beyond, he put his feelings aside and made sure that Rachel got in NY. Yes, I’m a Finchel fan, they are the main reason why I came back to watch the show (the season finale got me hooked, but I’m getting turned off the fact that there has to be another third part AGAIN. Why can Rachel have an honest to God friend, besides Kurt?) but I understand that Finn and Rachel both have to grow individually before being together again.

• F. Dillinger says:

Uh, actually the writers can pretty much do what they want. It’s an ensemble show and you don’t rule the world, not everything has to go as you plan. Shippers are such children.

47. Jessica says:

Loved this episode!! The Blaine and Brittany parts were my favorite!!! Not really feeling jarley( theyseemed forced). I was SOO happy to see Santana and puck!!! Also looking forward to more Rachel/Brody scenes, I really want to see how that friendship develops! Brittana brochel and klaine FtW

48. ggny says:

Only good part was Santana and Puck making Cameos. Blaine/Artie/Tina/Brittany are trying but they cant carry the ND scenes. Its just lacking everything that made it good the last 3 seasons. Jake/Kitty and Marley are just recycled Rachel/Finn/Quinn and that annoys the crap out of me…Seriously think of something original

49. LMAO at the Gimme More review. I really did like that episode but even I was rolling my eyes when Will said that. Come one. They’re national champions and they’ll get thrown out for one lip synced performance?