Pilot Scoop: Diane Kruger Crosses FX's Bridge

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Diane Kruger The BridgeMarking her first major foray into television, Diane Kruger has snagged the female lead in FX’s drama pilot The Bridge, TVLine has learned.

Adapted from the Scandinavian series i Bron, The Bridge centers on two detectives from the United States and Mexico who must work together to hunt down a serial killer operating on both sides of the American-Mexican border.

Kruger, whose credits include Inglourious Basterds and the National Treasure films, will play El Paso Police Homicide Detective Sonya North, a dogged cop who lacks tact, warmth and empathy. Shockingly candid, she calls the world like she sees it – which can be off-putting to her colleagues, but also refreshing and funny.

The role of her partner, Marco Ruiz, is still being cast.

The Bridge pilot was penned by Meredith Stiehm (Homeland) and Elwood Reid (Hawaii Five-0) and will be directed by Gerardo Naranjo (Miss Bala).

Comments (19)

• Another detective show? There’s enough already and she certainly deserves better.

Comment by Gerald – September 20, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regarding the first comment, what I actually thought was “Another adaption of a Scandinavian police drama?”

Comment by Lea – September 20, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adaptation, sorry.

Comment by Lea – September 20, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s far too talented and gorgeous for this.

Comment by Girish – September 20, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One request: can the writers PLEASE not make this another stupid will they/won’t they/it’s television, of COURSE they will relationship? For all it’s faults, The Killing refrained from doing that, and the relationship between Linden and Holder was one of the few bright spots of the show. Let’s see this show do the same thing.

Comment by Superhero – September 20, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having seen Boren (the bridge) I can say its superb however after the mess of AMC’s The Killing I’m not wanting another adaptation I think American viewers deserve better and should be able to see the originals.

Comment by laura meakin – September 20, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The scandinavian version is good! There are amazing cliffhangers in it. I’m really looking forward to this.
    I hope that it will be as brilliant as The Killing was!

Comment by d3jam (@d3jam) – September 20, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited! She’ll do well. With the writers and producers that have done Homleand & Five O. Its gonna be awesome. If they r on diff sides of the border, how r they going to have a will they won’t they storyline? They r prob gonna be like water and oil @ first.

Comment by shuayb – September 20, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any age given to the partner?
    Might I suggest: Wilmer Valderama, Michael Peña, William Levy or Freddy Rodriguez.
    or Freddie Prinze Jr., Ricardo Chavira, Rafael Amaya, Eduardo Verastegui, or Gabriel Soto.

Comment by Jon – September 20, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Minor correction: Name of the Scandinavian (Danish and Swedish collaboration) show is not called “i bron”, it’s “Broen” in Danish and “Bron” in Swedish – collaboratively called “Bron/Broen”.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – September 20, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a beautiful woman! I’ll be happy to have her on my TV, but the comment above is true, she’s too talented and gorgeous for this.

Comment by Sam – September 20, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an utterly stupid and annoying thing to say “she’s too talented and gorgeous for this”. No, she isn’t. FWIW, I don’t find her attractive at all. STOP WITH IT.
    That being said, I saw the original version, and it was really good (as was the actress playing the main female character). I don’t think American audiences would enjoy it though – that’s why they have to uniformize it for them. It’s a totally different rhythm than a similar story made in America.

Comment by sleepwalkerfish – September 20, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m officially excited now! Love Diane!

However, I’m not sure this show can be as good as the original or get good ratings. I think it won’t be very easy to follow for the US public. Look what happened to Awake …

Comment by MDS (@musicisthedoor) – September 20, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bland actress is also don’t find very attractive, let’s hope!

Comment by ju – September 20, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the original. I’m looking forward to see Diane in this as this would be a more challanging role. Ppl who say she’s too talanted and too beautiful for this have clearly not seen Bron! This is an amazing part and I really hope they keep on track with the original as I found the case very intruiging and it always kept you on your toes. I really hope they don’t mess this up like they did with The Killing. And I hope they keep the buisness relationship the leads had in Bron. Also Marco Ruiz better be played by a 50+ husky mexican or I will not be pleased. I really don’t want some hunk playing that role. THAT would ruin parts of the show!!

Comment by Linny – September 20, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I second that Freddie Prinze Jr. mention. He’d be great.

Comment by Jinjeon – September 20, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a dogged cop who lacks tact, warmth and empathy. Shockingly candid, she calls the world like she sees it

What a refreshing take on the detective procedural trope. No, wait…

Comment by Mina – September 20, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the original version, she’s clearly supposed to have Asperger’s, so I’m hoping they’re not going to lose that quality in translation.

Comment by Rob Buckley – September 20, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s still got Aspergers and the tone of the relationship between the two leads will be basically the same.

Comment by Greg Mavin – September 27, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post