TVLine Items: James Caan Joins Magic City, Mad Man to Private Practice, Y&R News and More

Magic City James CaanSonny Corleone is coming to Magic City in Season 2, with the addition of veteran actor James Caan.

The Godfather star has been tapped to recur in Starz’s 1959-era mafia drama as Sy Berman, the dangerous head of the Chicago mob and Ben Diamond’s (Danny Huston) boss.

NYPD Blue/Caprica alum Esai Morales will also join the series’ sophomore run (slated to bow in 2013) as a former rebel who once fought beside Castro but has now made it his mission to free Cuba.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Charlie Hofheimer (Mad Men) will recur in Season 6 of Private Practice, Deadline reports, playing a father whose daughter is abducted from the hospital.

VIDEO | Private Practice Sneak Peek: So… Where’s Pete?

• What can Saturday Night Live viewers expect from this week’s host Joseph Gordon Levitt? “Classic Jo Go Lev,” says star Jason Sudeikis. Press PLAY below for some fun promos for the late-night staple’s next installment.

The Young and the Restless may be cleaning house (so long, Genie Francis!), but Victor Newman is here to stay. Daytime TV vet Eric Braeden has signed a multi-year deal to stay with the CBS soap, EW.com reports. While Braeden will remain with Y&R, several actors are said to be on their way out, including Billy Miller (Billy) and Michael Graziadei (Daniel), Jennifer Landon (Heather) and Debbi Morgan (Harmony).

VIDEO | Homeland Season 2: Watch the First 20 Minutes

• Oscar winner F. Murray Abraham (Amadeus) will join Homeland in the latter half of Season 2, EW.com reports, playing an intelligence operative working for the CIA. The Showtime saga’s second cycle begins Sept. 30.

• Leisha Hailey (The L Word) and Constance Zimmer (Entourage) will play a lesbian couple in an upcoming episode of NBC’s The New Normal, per The Hollywood Reporter. The Big C‘s John Benjamin Hickey is also set to appear, but his role is being kept under wraps.

• FX has renewed its late-night series Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell for a second season, to debut October 11 at 11:30 pm.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Jessica says:

Y&R just seems ro be going down the tubes. I love the characters of Billy and Daniel and having them leave will be a huge loss to the show. If I have to put up with Daisy, then I want the characters that I love still there! Maybe I’m the only one, but I could do with LESS Victor Newman and Eric Braeden! I wonder if they had to let a lot of people go just so they could pay him the big bucks.

2. TheDude says:

Spoiler Alert: The guy won’t be able to free Cuba

3. Kenneth says:

Billy Miller…. out? Yikes, that won’t be good since he’s half of ‘Villy’…. they have a huge fanbase… everywhere Y&R I see… there’s Billy&Victoria too…. They seem like a very dedicated fanbase. So I hope he stays!

4. Lene91 says:

Really hope they get Billy Miller to stay. LOVE him and Amelia Heinle together. Never seen any tv couple like them. Their chemistry is AMAZING. Team Billy & Victoria fan from Norway! :)

5. Yessica says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO! I CAN’T LOOSE MY BILLY AND VICTORIA!!!!!!!! Come on Y&R!!!!

6. Beckmen says:

It would be a HUGE mistake if Sony/YR let a talent like Billy Miller go.

Billy Miller is Billy Abbott. Billy and Victoria are pure magic on YR!

7. Mary says:

Please let Billy Miller stay! He and Amelia Heinle are the most amazing couple. Can never be duplicated!

8. madison says:

NOOOOO Billy Miller needs to stay he is the MOST popuar person on YR he brings life to Billy Miller and to the screen YR please fine a way to keep him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Kendra96 says:

AMELIA HEINLE and BILLY MILLER are both needed at Y&R. Billy&Victoria are the best couple on!!!

10. Paul says:

Only reason I started watching Y&R was because of Billy&Victoria. Those two have the best chemistry. And I continue watching because of them. I’ll be so sad if Billy leaves… but I’ll continue watching for my girl Amelia Heinle… love her. I hope they give Billy and Victoria their OWN baby! I’d love to see Victoria pregnant again… (With Billy’s baby! Villy fans deserve it after almost 3years of baby drama… and no bio baby)

11. LL says:

Y&R needs to do everything possible to keep Billy Miller. He is the future of Y&R. Billy and Victoria are the most popular couple on the show.

• pauline murphy says:

We need Billy Miller on the Y&R so they should do every thing they can to keep him.If billy leaves there will be no more Villy and thats naught rightWe need Billy Miller to stay put.

12. Mick says:

I agree with everyone who says Billy Miller is way too good for Y&R to lose him. But to be honest wasn’t he going to leave last year. I think he wants to pursue other projects, like he did with Justified and Ringer. Billy Miller and Michael Muhney are definitely the best actors on the show.

13. Amanda says:

Letting Billy Miller leave is one of the worst things they could do. Listen up, Sony! Give the man what he wants. Give him the outs to do other projects. I’d rather have Billy gone for a week or two at a time to allow this then to have a recast or more newbies coming in to make up for the lack of all these actors leaving. And most importantly, without Billy Miller means the end Billy and Victoria…that can’t happen. Best couple the show has!!!!

14. Britta Unfiltered says:

WHAT?? F. Murray Abraham is going to be on Homeland??? I feel like the casting director has been reading my dream journal!! I just love him. Amadeus was a great movie, and he was so good in his recent appearance in Louie.
    You’ve successfully managed to find a Mad Men actor who’s name I don’t recognize right off. I’m going to have to look that guy up. I’m curious who he played now.

15. amy says:

Love Billy and Victoria, there’s no hotter couple on y&r now!!! Keep core families!!

16. kim says:

Omg please let Billy .it will be a huge mistake. They need there own off spring and little John needs a play mate. Some couples just should stay together.

17. Kaycee says:

WTH happened to James Caan’s face? He seriously needs to lay off the Botox. I’ve always loved him but now I can’t even take him seriously with his acting because of how messed up his face looks. WHEN will these actors and actresses learn that once they ruin their face we can NO LONGER take their acting serious? What a shame….shame, shame, shame James. Let this round of botox wear off and promise to NEVER EVER put a needle near your face again.