The CW Eyes Modern-Day Alice in Wonderland -- Who Should Play the Lead Role?

Cast me.”

The CW is developing Wunderland, a contemporary reimagining of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland, to be produced by Warner Bros. TV in tandem with director McG’s Wonderland (no, really) Sound And Vision shingle and penned by Chad Hodge (The Playboy Club).

Wunderlund presents Alice as a young, modern-day police detective who discovers a strange world that exists beneath Los Angeles. And while our sister site Deadline, which broke this news, likens Wunderland to The CW’s soon-to-premiere Beauty and the Beast, it also seems to share some DNA with the ABC pilot Gotham, which got passed over this past development season and revolved around a young, female detective who discovers a magical world within… New York City.

RELATED | NBC Orders ‘Epic’ Cleopatra Pilot — Who Should Star?

But enough about the premise. It’s time to dream-cast this thing. Acknowledging that Anna Camp’s The Mindy Project will have legs, who else is tailor-made for the role of Alice? CW-friendly Smallville alum Laura Vandervoort? Former Grey’s Anatomy doc Chyler Leigh? Or maybe Georgina Haig (photo, far left), whose run as Fringe‘s grown Etta will expire this fall?

1. Stephanie says:

If they were smart, it would be an adaption of The Looking Glass Wars.

2. George says:

So the CW has given up on Beauty & The Beast before a single episode has even aired…

3. Kelly says:

Caterina Scorscone should play Alice.

4. sara says:

Elisabeth Harnois

5. Gerald says:

Elle Fanning

6. Andrew says:

I think Kristen Connolly should play Alice. I loved her in Cabin in the Woods.

7. cherry says:

britt robertson, duh

8. Angela says:

Dianna Agron but she’s probably to old for the role.

• Elyse says:

more like she looks too young for the role. in this Alice would be a detective so she would need to look older than high school age.

9. James says:

This sounds cool, too bad it’s on the CW

10. JRs says:

I thought Chyler had left Grey’s Anatomy to spend more time with her family

11. CR says:

My first thought was Anna Camp as well, but if she was not bus with Lost Girl, Ksenia Solo would be great for the role, or should Nikita be canceled, Lyndsy Fonseca.

12. I like the suggestion of Georgina Haig! She definitely has the traditional Alice look, and she is young enough to be on the CW, but old enough to realistically play a detective. And she is a semi-new face, which I think would be great.

• Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

I agree!!! Only one episode of Fringe has aired with her in it, but she was so good. And you make a good point about her age being just right. My only other suggestion would be Kristen Bell, but that’s because it would be like Veronica Mars part 2.

13. tvaddict says:

Shelly Hennig of The Secret Circle gets my vote.

14. Anna Camp does sound like the perfect choice for it and so does Dianna Agron. Now that she’s not appearing on every episode of Glee, she could’ve time to do this, plus I really need her back on TV.

15. Marlene says:

Michelle Trachtenberg

16. ragincajun says:

Is anyone else sick of all the fairly tale crap??? I know that I am! Also, this is not that direction that The CW needs to take. They need to develop more light-hearted procedurals like Hart of Dixie, AND SOME COMEDIES!!!!!!!

17. Patti says:

I love the fairytale stuff. we definitely need more fairytales and imaginative fun stuff on tv. real world is dark enough as it is.

18. Katie says:

Erica Dasher is quite watchable and a competent actress, aged 24 she would make a “young detective”, and is unfortunately now available, unless she’s tied to ABC even after they cancelled her last series.

19. Nichole says:

You know it will end up being a girl from Degrassi…

20. mia says:

Whomever it is, I’d love it if she had some grit to her, not the usual doe-eyed, blonde waif that all women on tv seem to be right now.

21. Fabe says:

Does The CW really think we want police procedurals? I just don’t think that’s the right direction. Develop some shows that don’t fall into specific genre. Develop some comedies as well. But that is just my humble opinion.

However, if we are dream casting?? I’m thinking Parenthood’s Skyler Day or maybe Britt Robertson. However, they both seem a little young to be police officers.

22. nick1372 says:

How aboit Alcatraz’s Sarah Jones? She needs to be rescued from that terrible excuse for a show, Vegas.

23. Kevin says:

If they cast Laura Vandervoort, I’ll probably watch. If they don’t, I probably won’t.

24. tp says:

What would be great twist would be if she weren’t caucasian with blond hair and blue eyes. I know traditionally Alice was caucasian but can we stray from the traditional for awhile?

25. Jared says:

If the CW wanted to go the traditional route I would suggest Blake Lively. But after Gossip Girl ends..im sure she’ll be running away from the CW and never looking back.

26. Khorrie says:

How about just no altogether? BatB isn’t going to work, and neither is “modernizing” AiW (which isn’t a fairy tale, btw).

27. malie says:

Erica Durance gets my vote!!

28. Jinjeon says:

It’s penned by Chad Hodge so get Amber Heard for leading role. Then everything stays in family.

29. Kelly says:

How bout Ellen page or Dakota fanning? They both strike me as outcast struggling to fit in type actresses..the Alice type

30. Mitholas says:

Enough with the fantasy procedurals already. You can make good tv without making the lead a cop, you know.

31. bobbyjoe says:

TV producers are so original. I’m sure right now their “upcoming projects” list looks like this: 1) make a modern-day version of Jack and the Beanstalk, except this time, Jack’s a police detective! 2) make a modern-day version of “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,” except this time, Captain Nemo’s a police detective! 3) Make a modern-day version of “Little Women,” except this time, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy are police detectives! etc., etc., etc.

32. Jason says:

AMANDA BYNES.

33. Martin says:

Whoever said Kristin Bell, HELL YEAH!! – She is far too talented for that not great show House Of Lies, only reason i ended up watching the whole season was because of her.

34. AmyMa says:

I want to see someone new. Stefanie Butler would be great! She’s a top notch actress and has that lawyer/detective feel to her.

35. Tiff says:

Chyler Leigh would be nice but we need her back on Grey’s

36. Alan says:

if, and i really dont want this to happen, nikita where to be cancelled casting lyndsy fonseca would make me watch this. if it doesnt get cancelled casting erica durance or kristin bell would get me watching as well

37. SC says:

Laura Vandervoort

38. randy says:

laura vandervoort would be the most perfect person for this part if she is not given this part. i will stop watching the cw.

39. Amanda says:

Scarlett Bruns should play the role that girl has major chops and hasn’t headlined a north american show yet. Plus she now looks old enough to be a detective and can move away from the teen roles. Oh and not to mention that it would be great to have a ‘real’ woman on the CW and not someone who looks like they have an eating disorder, just sayin’.

• Stephen says:

YES!!! completely agree 110% she would be amazing in this! I think I read somewhere that she’s actually played Alice before in something.. not sure anyway I know this would be totally different than the tradition Alice but still, this would be perfect! Does anyone know where this is supposed to be filmed, or is this all just heresay at the moment?

40. Ashley R says:

scarlett bruns or aimee teegarden
    though i agree cw should break the cookie cutter mold and cast someone like scarlett.
    would be an excellent casting choice based on talent + would send a positive message to young women watching the show. Aimee had the lead in a cw pilot that didn’t get picked up so maybe she’ll get another chance

41. Gerry says:

Laura Vandervoort or Scarlett Bruns would be great. I was totally expecting Scarlett to be in one of this years CW shows actually, or like Secret Circle or something but she must have been busy with other stuff. Would love to see Laura on tv again too, maybe they can both be on the show!! Laura or Scarlett would both be excellent choices, both completely different.

42. Gilda says:

Catalina Scorscone. With Andrew Lee Potts as her leading man.

43. malik says:

id watch if scarlett bruns is on it shes damn fine for a thick chick and we need dat on tv other then kim kardashian whos way 2 concited. scarletts hot and lotsa ppl would watch it just to see her on tv. if theyr smart theyd cast her

44. maya says:

I’d say the girl who plays blair on gossip girl (leighton meester): tough enough to be a detective, but also looks like she could belong in a fairytale land ;-p her or chyler leigh of course!

45. hannah tointon is the way to go