Fall TV Preview

Community Exclusive: James Brolin Is Jeff's Dad

Community James BrolinThis Just In: James Brolin is a (fictional) deadbeat dad.

Multiple sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Community has cast the Emmy winning acting vet as Jeff Winger’s estranged father. He’ll make his debut in quirky NBC comedy’s Thanksgiving episode.

Joel McHale first hinted at the casting via Twitter Tuesday morning when he posted a pic of the two on set together. A spokesperson for the show, however, is unable to confirm Brolin’s casting at this time.

RELATED | Community Exclusive: Tricia Helfer Tapped to Geek Out With Abed

Brolin — who won Emmy gold in 1970 for his role on Marcus Welby, M.D. — counts The Defenders, Psych and Law & Order: SVU as his most recent TV appearances.

Community’s senior year — and new time slot — begins Friday, Oct. 19 at 8:30/7:30c.

Comments (11)

• NICE!

Comment by aleksa – September 18, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forgot to list Hotel in his credits. I liked that show.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 18, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best casting EVER!

Comment by KND – September 18, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for Bill Murray but still, great casting!

Comment by AJ – September 18, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Murray was probably an unrealistic dream, but Josh Brolin will work just fine.

Comment by JC – September 18, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. FANTASTIC.

Comment by LC – September 18, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay. Yeah. I can see it. This works *Nods*. Looking forward to that, then.

Comment by Angela – September 18, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m not that familiar with James Brolin other than him being the father of Josh. I’m trying to picture it, but it doesn’t look right to me. I pictured much more smarmy and suave. He looks more rugged and craggy, like a cowboy. Though it would be funny if the dad actually were a cowboy since Jeff has that fetish for dressing up like cowboys. “I think the words that you’re looking for are ‘I own a cowboy outfit.’” I’m getting so nervous about Community this season. With it pretty much being my favorite show, I’m absolutely terrified it’s going to be butchered into something cookie-cutter and bland without the quirky, wise direction of Dan Harmon.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 18, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeff Winger must have a thanksgiving to recollect this year on public because it also will double as a sort of Father’s Day.

Comment by Lois Ford – September 20, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool, cool, cool, we get to see the origins of Jeff’s vanity

Comment by Melissa Cummings (@melynn2378) – October 4, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post