Exclusive

Community Exclusive: James Brolin Is Jeff's Dad

Community James BrolinThis Just In: James Brolin is a (fictional) deadbeat dad.

Multiple sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Community has cast the Emmy winning acting vet as Jeff Winger’s estranged father. He’ll make his debut in quirky NBC comedy’s Thanksgiving episode.

Joel McHale first hinted at the casting via Twitter Tuesday morning when he posted a pic of the two on set together. A spokesperson for the show, however, is unable to confirm Brolin’s casting at this time.

RELATED | Community Exclusive: Tricia Helfer Tapped to Geek Out With Abed

Brolin — who won Emmy gold in 1970 for his role on Marcus Welby, M.D. — counts The Defenders, Psych and Law & Order: SVU as his most recent TV appearances.

Community’s senior year — and new time slot — begins Friday, Oct. 19 at 8:30/7:30c.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, Scoop

1. Forgot to list Hotel in his credits. I liked that show.

2. KND says:

Best casting EVER!

3. AJ says:

I was hoping for Bill Murray but still, great casting!

4. JC says:

Bill Murray was probably an unrealistic dream, but Josh Brolin will work just fine.

5. LC says:

YES. FANTASTIC.

6. Angela says:

Okay. Yeah. I can see it. This works *Nods*. Looking forward to that, then.

7. Britta Unfiltered says:

I guess I’m not that familiar with James Brolin other than him being the father of Josh. I’m trying to picture it, but it doesn’t look right to me. I pictured much more smarmy and suave. He looks more rugged and craggy, like a cowboy. Though it would be funny if the dad actually were a cowboy since Jeff has that fetish for dressing up like cowboys. “I think the words that you’re looking for are ‘I own a cowboy outfit.'” I’m getting so nervous about Community this season. With it pretty much being my favorite show, I’m absolutely terrified it’s going to be butchered into something cookie-cutter and bland without the quirky, wise direction of Dan Harmon.

8. Lois Ford says:

Jeff Winger must have a thanksgiving to recollect this year on public because it also will double as a sort of Father’s Day.

9. cool, cool, cool, we get to see the origins of Jeff’s vanity