Fall TV Preview

Is Fox's The Mob Doctor a 'Hit'? Or a Miss?

Mob Doctor Jordana SpiroFox’s The Mob Doctor premiered Monday night, and now that you’ve had a chance to check out Jordana Spiro straddle the line between her Hippocratic oath as a doctor and her shady doings as an M.D. to the mob — think of it as Ethically Gray Anatomy — it’s time to lay on some judgment.

RELATED | The New Normal: Will You Join This Family?

But first, a brief refresher….

To save her sketchy brother Nate’s (Jesse Lee Soffer) life, Spiro’s Dr. Grace Devlin has struck a deal with the mob: Nate gets spared, and in exchange she’ll do their bidding, like getting a screwdriver out of a baddie’s head. When her “boss” Moretti (Michael Rapaport) asks her to kill his former lieutenant, who’s set to testify against him, during a surgery, Grace can’t go through with it.

Moretti retaliates by attacking her family, but the doc takes the heat off her kin by leading the goon straight to the home of one-time Southside mob head Constantine Alexander (Boardwalk Empire‘s William Forsythe). So Grace gets herself out of that pickle — Alexander shoots Moretti dead – and into an even bigger mess. She is now indebted to a new criminal for protection.

Meanwhile, Grace’s boyfriend (Friday Night Lights‘ Zach Gilford, playing doctor for his second TV series in a row, after Off the Map) and her hospital supervisor (Damages‘ Zeljko Ivanek) remain completely clueless about why Grace really keeps scurrying off during the middle of her shifts.

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give The Mob Doctor, then back up your pick in the comments!

Comments (65)

• DUMB.

Comment by megan – September 17, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zach Gilford, Željko Ivanek — waste of talent.

The show is incredibly bad.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – September 17, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason this would work is if I cared if she died. I don’t.

Comment by Mick – September 17, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • started to watch , turned it over to 2 broke girls which was a repeat , that tells you how much i liked it

Comment by joe – September 17, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t buy Jordana Spiro as a skilled physician. I turned it off for a re-run of Criminal Minds.

Comment by Amy – September 17, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was okay, nothing special…. It was a bit too lifetime for me though. Don’t plan on watching it anymore

Comment by Gerald – September 17, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • which makes sense since it’s from the guy who created Drop Dead Diva (which is on Lifetime).

Comment by A – September 17, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw only the promo, enough for me. Will probably get scratched by midnight.

Comment by tahina – September 17, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasnt that bad. I’ll continue to watch it. There are WAY worse shows on tv. Let’s just say it peaked my interest to watch again.

Comment by michelle – September 17, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah, but the flip side to that is there are also WAY better shows on TV. However, I do usually give shows more than a pilot chance. Sometimes pilots dazzle but the show tanks, and sometimes the pilot is mediocre but then gets its act together.

Comment by Emily – September 17, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not enjoy this at all. I think it would make a good short run miniseries or possibly a movie of the week but I do not see this ending up as a successful series. I give it a D as a series.

Comment by Jeep Firkins – September 17, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No HLaurie , No House = No Monday.

Comment by Jules – September 17, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS.

Comment by Yes – September 17, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God. You are back? Really? I thought you were leaving the internet after House went off the air? Please, make good on that.

Comment by Sg. Grant – September 17, 2012 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I probably wouldn’t be watching this if it didn’t star Jordana Spiro, who I’d watch in virtually anything. The twists at the end caught me off guard, though, so that was cool.

Comment by Sam – September 17, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a waste of Zach Gilford.

Comment by brody – September 17, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show does have its flaws and is such a waste of Zach Gilford and Zeljko Ivanek’s talents. However, I thought the pilot was watchable and the lead character to be somewhat intriguing. So I’ll most likely give it another episode to see where it will go after she made her decision in the closing minutes.

Comment by BH @ TV Recaps/Reviews – September 17, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuned in to show support for Jordana Spiro. (My Boys getting cancelled still stings.) My whole opinion can be summed up in one sound: ennnnnnhhh….. But, you can’t always judge a show by its pilot. I’ll give it another week or two to see if the storylines get more interesting/involved. If not, then that’s one less show I have to worry about keeping up with.

Comment by c – September 17, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS…I still miss My Boys. Jordana Spiro is my only reason for watching. I am on the fence about this show.

Comment by MJ – September 18, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned in originally to support Jordana Spiro. (My Boys getting cancelled still stings.) My thoughts can pretty much be summed up in one sound: ennnnnnhhhhh….. But, you can’t always judge a show by its pilot. So, I’ll give it another week or two to see if the storylines get more interesting/involved. If not, then that’s one less show I have to worry about keeping up with.

Comment by Claire – September 17, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gee, I’m so glad House got cancelled. Not.

Comment by Sue – September 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I REALLY liked it. I had only ever seen Jordana Spiro in My Boys, so I was intrigued that she was cast in a drama. I think she does a great job with the character. The rest of the cast sells the show well, IMO. The show is just dark enough for my tastes. I don’t think I’ve watched a Fox show regularly since That 70′s Show. Took several years, but they finally reeled me in.

Comment by MJ – September 17, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was going to watch for Zach Gilford, sad to hear it isn’t very good. But…still has Zach Gilford, so I’ll be checking it out.

Comment by Lauren – September 17, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was good, I cared for Grace and I love Forsythe as Constantine

Comment by Patrick Maloney – September 17, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Made it to the second commercial break, then watched last week’s “Major Crimes” on my DVR which I still hadn’t watched.

FOX can count on this show being scrapped by the end of October (at the latest).

Comment by Emgee – September 17, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And what a great episode of “Major Crimes”! That show keeps getting better and better. This show…doesn’t interest me at all.

Comment by Carrie – September 18, 2012 03:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ll look forward to watching last night’s “Major Crimes.” Last week’s was great though. I’m looking forward to going back to watch “The Closer” on DVD.

Comment by Emgee – September 18, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched zero episodes of My Boys and I came to my senses after a few episodes of Friday Night Lights. I know there’s a dedicated audience for both shows, but they pretty much sucked. The truth hurts, I know. I’ll watch more Mob Doctor. It’ll probably get cancelled, but I was entertained.

Comment by Jason – September 17, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t care for those two shows either but when “the truth” that you speak of is based on opinion and not fact, it isn’t really the truth at all. Therefore those don’t factually suck, you and I just didn’t happen to like them. Does it “hurt” to know that?

Comment by Dexx – September 18, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^ Very well-stated post.

Comment by TheBeach – September 18, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to disagree about Friday Night Lights. That show had so much heart and a very talented cast! Zach Gilford is also a great actor.

Comment by Beth – September 20, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox let House go for this piece of garbage!!! NEVER watching fox again period!

Comment by Mary – September 17, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Look, I love “House,” and I have the entire series on DVD. And yes, this show did in fact suck. But it was time for “House” to end. It had reached that point, and they went out with a bang.

Comment by Emgee – September 18, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was average pilot. I tuned in to see Jordanna Spiro I liked my Boys on Tbs. It is better than all the reality shows taking over tv. I am willing to not judge it yet since it has only been one episode. I feel that this show could be on TNT instead of Fox.

Comment by Nicole – September 17, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wont see that tv show crap, cant believe it, with this Fox Replaced House,

Comment by van – September 18, 2012 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO – this was not created to replace House – it was time to say goodbye to House! The great Hugh Laurie was ready to go too, his family lives in England and 9 years of little time to be with your wife and kids and missing so much. Just THANK HIM for playing House for as long as he did!!!!

Comment by Aryn – September 18, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seriously. This notion that MOB DOCTOR forced HOUSE off the air is balderdash. Fox didn’t even pick up MOB DOCTOR until three months after HOUSE announced its final season.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 18, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing lasts forever, shows are more expensive to produce the longer they are on, etc.

Comment by Dexx – September 18, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish they’d renewed alcatraz instead of this but eh, it’s not too horrible, i guess

Comment by sarah – September 18, 2012 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was an okay start. I was left wondering how they are going to make this show last but I’ll tune in again next week.

Comment by Renee – September 18, 2012 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back House!

Comment by Mia – September 18, 2012 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thought it was average overall – but – as previous commenter said – sometimes an average pilot turns into a good show.

My only (small) peeve: Is it just me; or did all the female doctors and nurses have on a TON of makeup for their line of work?!

Comment by joellita – September 18, 2012 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two biggest complaints. First, I agree this is a bad trade going from Dr. House to Dr. Decline. Especially since the only reason House went off the air is because the studio tried to get a great show for a cheaper price. Second, I thought Michael Rapaport was one of the best things in the pilot, and usually I think of him as a one note actor.

Comment by Randy – September 18, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was already annoyed in the first 5 minutes. Bad acting. I still watched the whole episode but won’t be tunning in again.

Comment by Patricia – September 18, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t work for me. What’s going to replace it, Fox?

Comment by Bob – September 18, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found myself laughing at some parts of Mob Doctors..but I’m not sure the jokes were intentional. Either way..the pilot was mediocre..Im not sure if I’ll continue to watch once the other networks start rolling out there series..but it was wasn’t that bad. I like the concept of the series..but it’s so PG that it loses me there. Wish this show was on cable and made a little more gritty.

Comment by Jared – September 18, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you guys are being WAY too hard on this show!! I agree it could use “something” to really grab us and make us to care about the characters…but I think we should give it some time. Last night the very first Seinfeld from 1989 was on and let me tell you it STUNK – but look at it now – it became a HUGE success and we are still watching it on reruns almost 25 years later :) I think us viewers are no better than TPTB TV gang…we don’t give a show enough time to really get going before we trash it, and cancel it!! You need to watch at least 6-10 episodes; if after that time you still hate it, fine. But some of us would like to give this show a shot and I think it has potential to get better – like fine wine, things get better with age!

Comment by Jackson – September 18, 2012 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. After reading the comments about this and Revolution, I was like dang give it a chance. It was an ok pilot that I hope will get better. I usually give shows 5 episodes before I decide if it’s worth it. Hardly anyone wants t give shows a chance anymore. It’s sad really.

Comment by tp – September 18, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You House fans…please stop complaining!! House is gone, let him RIP and try to find a silver lining. If not with this show, then something else. You can’t judge a show by it’s pilot episode, you haters are no better than the stupid TV execs that cancel our shows – I think this show had so much bad press before it’s first episode some people were influenced and only saw the negatives!! I am willing to give any show 5-6 episodes before I tune out completely. Give the show a chance to find it’s rythym :) Why does everyone have to go so fast with everything they do, without immediate satisfaction no one seems happy. What are we rats in a maze pushing a little lever to get a treat???? Take some time to enjoy your life, and TV again

Comment by Belle – September 18, 2012 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My point is House did not have to be gone. Yes its gone and rest in peace, but it had almost 10 million viewers this time last year. Double what it replacement did last night. Fox has cancelled shows with more viewers than Mob Doc.

Comment by Randy – September 18, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it makes it past this season, it’ll get three seasons. Four tops. That being said, I think it’ll be axed after this season. It wasn’t bad. I’m intrigued to see where it goes. Not the greatest thing on TV, but nowhere near the worst. I’m going to keep watching until I find a good reason not to. It’s not as bad as you lot are making it out to be.

Although it’s a bit dismal for anyone who actually works in healthcare. The number of things they got spectacularly wrong is immense. But that’s no different to Grey’s Anatomy or House or whatever.

Comment by Tim – September 18, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • STOP COMPARING THIS SHOW TO HOUSE >>> Mob Doctors isn’t supposed to be the “House” replacement, grow up people!! Step into reality and smack yourself in the face and let House go already :) Now go enjoy your day wherever you are!!

Comment by Aryn – September 18, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was way to hectic and didn’t have any character development. I could barely get through it. There is absolutely NO way that she could be running around outside that hospital so much and still be a doctor. She was completely unbelievable and unrelatable. The actor who played her brother was terrible. Poor Saracen, on another terrible pilot.

Comment by Sarah – September 18, 2012 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know, I didn’t watch it and don’t intend to.

Comment by Gigi – September 18, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox cancelled Alcatraz and Terra Nova for this? I doubt it makes 3 episodes.

Comment by Cari – September 18, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Fox cancelled Alcatraz and Tera Nova. Had nothing to do with this.

Comment by tp – September 18, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better than I thought it would be. I’ll probably give it a couple of episodes and see whether it can deliver on the promise I perceived. But if I find that episodes are piling up unwatched on the DVR, I won’t have qualms about deleting them.

Comment by chatulim – September 18, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone else have issues with the ages? The Grace character seems like she should be younger. Her mom looks like she’s only ten years older than her, and her boyfriend looks like he’s ten years younger. Was Jordana Spiro cast later??

Comment by lulu – September 18, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a little interested in this show, until i knew it was going to be air mondays, my mondays are already filled with Bones, Castle, The Voice, Hawaii 5-0 and Switched at Birth, Gossip Girl, i cant watch another show

Comment by Lorena – September 18, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on these poor grades and posts, my decision to not watch based on promos was correct. YUCK!

Comment by Alienate – September 19, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, no, no. The show was horrible. Next!!

Comment by Kiah – September 24, 2012 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has great potential especially with William Forsythe stepping up as the evil mobster.Jordana Spiro as the doctor with “family” problems is battling with her soul on doing the right thing. This story line is deeper than The Sopprano. I think that viewers are hung over by Boardwalk from the night before. Fox has a hit but there scheduling sucks! It’s an adult show. Treat it like one!

Comment by Michael Santia – October 1, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love love love this show. Lot better then the garbage reality tv shows out there

Comment by Riss – October 24, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show Grace is no match for house but awesome story line now that I’m addicted Fox is airing the last 3 episodes ? What the heck? Hopefully caple will pick it up! Great show!

Comment by Linda – December 11, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post