Is Fox's The Mob Doctor a 'Hit'? Or a Miss?

Mob Doctor Jordana SpiroFox’s The Mob Doctor premiered Monday night, and now that you’ve had a chance to check out Jordana Spiro straddle the line between her Hippocratic oath as a doctor and her shady doings as an M.D. to the mob — think of it as Ethically Gray Anatomy — it’s time to lay on some judgment.

RELATED | The New Normal: Will You Join This Family?

But first, a brief refresher….

To save her sketchy brother Nate’s (Jesse Lee Soffer) life, Spiro’s Dr. Grace Devlin has struck a deal with the mob: Nate gets spared, and in exchange she’ll do their bidding, like getting a screwdriver out of a baddie’s head. When her “boss” Moretti (Michael Rapaport) asks her to kill his former lieutenant, who’s set to testify against him, during a surgery, Grace can’t go through with it.

Moretti retaliates by attacking her family, but the doc takes the heat off her kin by leading the goon straight to the home of one-time Southside mob head Constantine Alexander (Boardwalk Empire‘s William Forsythe). So Grace gets herself out of that pickle — Alexander shoots Moretti dead – and into an even bigger mess. She is now indebted to a new criminal for protection.

Meanwhile, Grace’s boyfriend (Friday Night Lights‘ Zach Gilford, playing doctor for his second TV series in a row, after Off the Map) and her hospital supervisor (Damages‘ Zeljko Ivanek) remain completely clueless about why Grace really keeps scurrying off during the middle of her shifts.

Now it’s your turn, TVLiners: Hit the poll below to let us know what grade you give The Mob Doctor, then back up your pick in the comments!

1. Zach Gilford, Željko Ivanek — waste of talent.

The show is incredibly bad.

2. Mick says:

The reason this would work is if I cared if she died. I don’t.

3. joe says:

started to watch , turned it over to 2 broke girls which was a repeat , that tells you how much i liked it

4. Amy says:

I don’t buy Jordana Spiro as a skilled physician. I turned it off for a re-run of Criminal Minds.

5. Gerald says:

It was okay, nothing special…. It was a bit too lifetime for me though. Don’t plan on watching it anymore

6. tahina says:

Saw only the promo, enough for me. Will probably get scratched by midnight.

7. michelle says:

It wasnt that bad. I’ll continue to watch it. There are WAY worse shows on tv. Let’s just say it peaked my interest to watch again.

• Emily says:

Ah, but the flip side to that is there are also WAY better shows on TV. However, I do usually give shows more than a pilot chance. Sometimes pilots dazzle but the show tanks, and sometimes the pilot is mediocre but then gets its act together.

8. Jeep Firkins says:

I did not enjoy this at all. I think it would make a good short run miniseries or possibly a movie of the week but I do not see this ending up as a successful series. I give it a D as a series.

9. Jules says:

No HLaurie , No House = No Monday.

10. Sam says:

I probably wouldn’t be watching this if it didn’t star Jordana Spiro, who I’d watch in virtually anything. The twists at the end caught me off guard, though, so that was cool.

11. brody says:

What a waste of Zach Gilford.

12. The show does have its flaws and is such a waste of Zach Gilford and Zeljko Ivanek’s talents. However, I thought the pilot was watchable and the lead character to be somewhat intriguing. So I’ll most likely give it another episode to see where it will go after she made her decision in the closing minutes.

13. c says:

Tuned in to show support for Jordana Spiro. (My Boys getting cancelled still stings.) My whole opinion can be summed up in one sound: ennnnnnhhh….. But, you can’t always judge a show by its pilot. I’ll give it another week or two to see if the storylines get more interesting/involved. If not, then that’s one less show I have to worry about keeping up with.

14. Claire says:

I tuned in originally to support Jordana Spiro. (My Boys getting cancelled still stings.) My thoughts can pretty much be summed up in one sound: ennnnnnhhhhh….. But, you can’t always judge a show by its pilot. So, I’ll give it another week or two to see if the storylines get more interesting/involved. If not, then that’s one less show I have to worry about keeping up with.

15. Sue says:

Gee, I’m so glad House got cancelled. Not.

16. MJ says:

Well I REALLY liked it. I had only ever seen Jordana Spiro in My Boys, so I was intrigued that she was cast in a drama. I think she does a great job with the character. The rest of the cast sells the show well, IMO. The show is just dark enough for my tastes. I don’t think I’ve watched a Fox show regularly since That 70’s Show. Took several years, but they finally reeled me in.

17. Lauren says:

I was going to watch for Zach Gilford, sad to hear it isn’t very good. But…still has Zach Gilford, so I’ll be checking it out.

18. Patrick Maloney says:

I thought it was good, I cared for Grace and I love Forsythe as Constantine

19. Emgee says:

Made it to the second commercial break, then watched last week’s “Major Crimes” on my DVR which I still hadn’t watched.

FOX can count on this show being scrapped by the end of October (at the latest).

• Carrie says:

And what a great episode of “Major Crimes”! That show keeps getting better and better. This show…doesn’t interest me at all.

• Emgee says:

I’ll look forward to watching last night’s “Major Crimes.” Last week’s was great though. I’m looking forward to going back to watch “The Closer” on DVD.

20. Jason says:

I watched zero episodes of My Boys and I came to my senses after a few episodes of Friday Night Lights. I know there’s a dedicated audience for both shows, but they pretty much sucked. The truth hurts, I know. I’ll watch more Mob Doctor. It’ll probably get cancelled, but I was entertained.

• Dexx says:

I didn’t care for those two shows either but when “the truth” that you speak of is based on opinion and not fact, it isn’t really the truth at all. Therefore those don’t factually suck, you and I just didn’t happen to like them. Does it “hurt” to know that?

• Beth says:

I have to disagree about Friday Night Lights. That show had so much heart and a very talented cast! Zach Gilford is also a great actor.

21. Mary says:

Fox let House go for this piece of garbage!!! NEVER watching fox again period!

• Emgee says:

Look, I love “House,” and I have the entire series on DVD. And yes, this show did in fact suck. But it was time for “House” to end. It had reached that point, and they went out with a bang.

22. Nicole says:

It was average pilot. I tuned in to see Jordanna Spiro I liked my Boys on Tbs. It is better than all the reality shows taking over tv. I am willing to not judge it yet since it has only been one episode. I feel that this show could be on TNT instead of Fox.

23. van says:

I wont see that tv show crap, cant believe it, with this Fox Replaced House,

• Aryn says:

NO – this was not created to replace House – it was time to say goodbye to House! The great Hugh Laurie was ready to go too, his family lives in England and 9 years of little time to be with your wife and kids and missing so much. Just THANK HIM for playing House for as long as he did!!!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Seriously. This notion that MOB DOCTOR forced HOUSE off the air is balderdash. Fox didn’t even pick up MOB DOCTOR until three months after HOUSE announced its final season.

• Dexx says:

Nothing lasts forever, shows are more expensive to produce the longer they are on, etc.

24. sarah says:

Wish they’d renewed alcatraz instead of this but eh, it’s not too horrible, i guess

25. Renee says:

It was an okay start. I was left wondering how they are going to make this show last but I’ll tune in again next week.

26. Mia says:

Bring back House!

27. joellita says:

Thought it was average overall – but – as previous commenter said – sometimes an average pilot turns into a good show.

My only (small) peeve: Is it just me; or did all the female doctors and nurses have on a TON of makeup for their line of work?!

28. Randy says:

Two biggest complaints. First, I agree this is a bad trade going from Dr. House to Dr. Decline. Especially since the only reason House went off the air is because the studio tried to get a great show for a cheaper price. Second, I thought Michael Rapaport was one of the best things in the pilot, and usually I think of him as a one note actor.

29. Patricia says:

I was already annoyed in the first 5 minutes. Bad acting. I still watched the whole episode but won’t be tunning in again.

30. Bob says:

Didn’t work for me. What’s going to replace it, Fox?

31. Jared says:

I found myself laughing at some parts of Mob Doctors..but I’m not sure the jokes were intentional. Either way..the pilot was mediocre..Im not sure if I’ll continue to watch once the other networks start rolling out there series..but it was wasn’t that bad. I like the concept of the series..but it’s so PG that it loses me there. Wish this show was on cable and made a little more gritty.

32. Jackson says:

I think you guys are being WAY too hard on this show!! I agree it could use “something” to really grab us and make us to care about the characters…but I think we should give it some time. Last night the very first Seinfeld from 1989 was on and let me tell you it STUNK – but look at it now – it became a HUGE success and we are still watching it on reruns almost 25 years later :) I think us viewers are no better than TPTB TV gang…we don’t give a show enough time to really get going before we trash it, and cancel it!! You need to watch at least 6-10 episodes; if after that time you still hate it, fine. But some of us would like to give this show a shot and I think it has potential to get better – like fine wine, things get better with age!

• tp says:

I totally agree. After reading the comments about this and Revolution, I was like dang give it a chance. It was an ok pilot that I hope will get better. I usually give shows 5 episodes before I decide if it’s worth it. Hardly anyone wants t give shows a chance anymore. It’s sad really.

33. Belle says:

You House fans…please stop complaining!! House is gone, let him RIP and try to find a silver lining. If not with this show, then something else. You can’t judge a show by it’s pilot episode, you haters are no better than the stupid TV execs that cancel our shows – I think this show had so much bad press before it’s first episode some people were influenced and only saw the negatives!! I am willing to give any show 5-6 episodes before I tune out completely. Give the show a chance to find it’s rythym :) Why does everyone have to go so fast with everything they do, without immediate satisfaction no one seems happy. What are we rats in a maze pushing a little lever to get a treat???? Take some time to enjoy your life, and TV again

• Randy says:

My point is House did not have to be gone. Yes its gone and rest in peace, but it had almost 10 million viewers this time last year. Double what it replacement did last night. Fox has cancelled shows with more viewers than Mob Doc.

34. Tim says:

If it makes it past this season, it’ll get three seasons. Four tops. That being said, I think it’ll be axed after this season. It wasn’t bad. I’m intrigued to see where it goes. Not the greatest thing on TV, but nowhere near the worst. I’m going to keep watching until I find a good reason not to. It’s not as bad as you lot are making it out to be.

Although it’s a bit dismal for anyone who actually works in healthcare. The number of things they got spectacularly wrong is immense. But that’s no different to Grey’s Anatomy or House or whatever.

35. Aryn says:

STOP COMPARING THIS SHOW TO HOUSE >>> Mob Doctors isn’t supposed to be the “House” replacement, grow up people!! Step into reality and smack yourself in the face and let House go already :) Now go enjoy your day wherever you are!!

36. Sarah says:

It was way to hectic and didn’t have any character development. I could barely get through it. There is absolutely NO way that she could be running around outside that hospital so much and still be a doctor. She was completely unbelievable and unrelatable. The actor who played her brother was terrible. Poor Saracen, on another terrible pilot.

37. Gigi says:

I don’t know, I didn’t watch it and don’t intend to.

38. Cari says:

Fox cancelled Alcatraz and Terra Nova for this? I doubt it makes 3 episodes.

39. chatulim says:

Better than I thought it would be. I’ll probably give it a couple of episodes and see whether it can deliver on the promise I perceived. But if I find that episodes are piling up unwatched on the DVR, I won’t have qualms about deleting them.

40. lulu says:

Did anyone else have issues with the ages? The Grace character seems like she should be younger. Her mom looks like she’s only ten years older than her, and her boyfriend looks like he’s ten years younger. Was Jordana Spiro cast later??

41. Lorena says:

I was a little interested in this show, until i knew it was going to be air mondays, my mondays are already filled with Bones, Castle, The Voice, Hawaii 5-0 and Switched at Birth, Gossip Girl, i cant watch another show

42. Alienate says:

Based on these poor grades and posts, my decision to not watch based on promos was correct. YUCK!

43. Kiah says:

No, no, no. The show was horrible. Next!!

44. Michael Santia says:

It has great potential especially with William Forsythe stepping up as the evil mobster.Jordana Spiro as the doctor with “family” problems is battling with her soul on doing the right thing. This story line is deeper than The Sopprano. I think that viewers are hung over by Boardwalk from the night before. Fox has a hit but there scheduling sucks! It’s an adult show. Treat it like one!

45. Riss says:

Love love love this show. Lot better then the garbage reality tv shows out there

46. Linda says:

I love this show Grace is no match for house but awesome story line now that I’m addicted Fox is airing the last 3 episodes ? What the heck? Hopefully caple will pick it up! Great show!