Reality Check: 'Top Judge' Prize to Britney or Blake? Plus: Best & Worst of The Voice & X Factor

Does Britney Spears have the potential to be the greatest reality-show judge on TV today? Is it possible that everyone on the planet has a crush on Blake Shelton? And are the audition rounds too early for a reality contestant to engage the audience in a game of “shout my name like I’m a superstar”?

These vital questions and more get tackled in the premiere of Reality Check, a new video series hosted by American Idol‘s Melinda Doolittle and yours truly that takes a deep dive into The X Factor, The Voice, and (occasionally) other reality-competition series.

This week, Melinda and I dish which of the fall’s much-hyped singing series had the most satisfying opening week, which contestants we’re excited to follow into the Battle Rounds/Boot Camp, and why we’re a little obsessed with L.A. Reid’s face.

So press play below for the whole shebang, and for all my reality news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (46)

• Fantastic. This is what was missing here for these two shows.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 17, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly thought I was going to have to wait for AI to start again to see your web recaps again!! I’m SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

Comment by BIG FAN OF YOU GUYS!! – September 17, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quite a nice little Monday morning gift. Yippee! Looking forward to these recaps.

Comment by blingedup – September 17, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! A gift!

Comment by CAM – September 17, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael you talked for 2:43 minutes straight without giving Melinda an opening! Hopefully you can learn to *dialogue* — poor woman just sat there nodding!

Comment by Strepsi – September 17, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY YOU GUYS ARE BACK!!! :D

Comment by Adam – September 17, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! SO pleased to get you two talking about these other shows as well. Fantastic!

Comment by Clio – September 17, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will be so looking forward to the next one! :) Well done.

Comment by Kim R – September 17, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, Michael, I almost always agree with you, but I just can’t believe that anyone who thinks Janelle Garcia’s “Paris (Ooh La La)” cover good has ever heard Grace Potter sing. THAT girl can rock — I thought Janelle sounded weak and tone-less in comparison.

Comment by Joe – September 17, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!

Comment by Amber – September 17, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Voice is much better than X-Factor – contestants who can actually sing, and who are not made fun of by judges.

Comment by Leila – September 17, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still can’t tolerate Simon, so can’t love X-factor. And while I have nothing against Britney, she looks like a worn out suburban matron. Love the blind auditions on Voice, but don’t care for the format after the auditions are done. And sadly, it looks as though they aren’t going to do anything about Idol’s voting policy. So, I’m without a show to love in the music category.

Comment by Stormy – September 17, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my this is such a surprise! LOVE! more michael and melinda, just what the world needs.

Comment by Sean D – September 17, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to have you two back! I laughed at the first Randy montage and “Footage unavailable” for Lee’s Hallelujah.

Comment by xtoast – September 17, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I haven’t watched it yet – but already love it.
    Great to see the one and only Melinda back as well.

Thank you, Michael and TVLine. This is AMAZING!!!!!

Comment by Saulo – September 17, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • D-O-M-O N-O!

Comment by EddieZ – September 17, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    This is great! So happy you guys are doing a series on X Factor and The Voice

Comment by Ash Q – September 17, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have just brightened my Monday morning! Love you two together and am glad you are doing this for more shows.

Comment by dmpenry – September 17, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disagree. I love the rejected people who can’t sing and are made fun of. Someone gotta tell them they’re not going anywhere with their singing careers. Can you imagine what it’s like for their families and friends… to have to listen that crap??? They’re the best thing of the first episodes of these shows. In the following, there’ll be plenty of time for those who are really talented but the minutes given to that Bride Dude or the Britney fan are definitely not wasted. But I agree with Melinda. 10 minutes of terrible drama that the constestants’ lives are wasted.

Comment by sauloccl – September 17, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The bad auditions rule! They’re why I watch the auditions in the first place. :)

Comment by Alex – September 17, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What fun to have Michael and Melinda back and delighting us with their observations and a little snark. Favorite moment this week….little Carly on X-factor. As soon as she opened her mouth and we heard that rich color and beautiful tone, we were blown away. I remember feeling that way when Melinda auditioned for AI.

Comment by Kathy V. – September 17, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not watching either of these shows, but I don’t care. I’ll watch Slezak and Dolittle talk about anything!

Comment by soarin829 – September 17, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do watch The Voice, but I have to agree – anything and everything Slezak and Doolittle!

Comment by Lime – September 17, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think all the world has a crush on Blake Shelton i love him since the voice one and didnt know who he was

Comment by Lorena – September 17, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Can’t stand the creep. Such an ass.

Comment by tripoli – September 17, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I love your recaps with Melinda! Only complaint is I wish they were longer.

Comment by Annie – September 17, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could you guys possibly post a transcript of your videos? Some of us check out this website at work during lunch breaks, where we can’t watch the videos. Thank you!

Comment by Amanda – September 17, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the recaps with you two! Thank you for adding them for the XFactor shows.

Comment by marygrace – September 17, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys rock! I missed you so much!

Comment by Ann VerWiebe – September 17, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy yo see this. I really missed you guys.

Comment by MB – September 17, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! Michael and Melinda! I love you both and am so excited you’re back!

Comment by AuntTallulah – September 17, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!! This totally made my day!

Comment by Tara – September 17, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG you’re like in my head! As soon as I saw Janel Garcia I told my mom she looked like Allison Iraheta. I miss her so much.

Comment by Mari – September 17, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made my day a whole lot brighter! Love hearing your view =)

Comment by Thea – September 17, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad you guys are doing this because I am having trouble keeping up with these two shows already, and now it’s no big d if I miss one because you will show me the best and the worst. I love the two of you together. I know it’s not a music/voting show, but I would love for you two to dish on honey boo boo.

Comment by dj – September 17, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! So glad you guys are back! Mondays just got better.

Comment by Casey – September 17, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me so very very happy!!!

Comment by CB – September 17, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Editing can do wonders. Lets wait for the live shows before deciding if she is honest etc

Comment by steve – September 17, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who’s Michael Editing?

Comment by JohnT – September 18, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys put any other commentary shows to shame. Such wonderful insights and great humor and cameraderie!!

Comment by Lourdes – September 17, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it! I will be needing more of these ASAP! Thank you.

Comment by DeeKayTee – September 17, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this was fun!!

Comment by onlyakb – September 18, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the new reality check! Exactly what we needed!!

Comment by bjp – September 18, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gasp! Michael! Carly Rae Jepsen was a finalist on Canadian Idol and she is really good live. Go on, You Tube it!

Comment by Nermal – September 18, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED this! I lol-ed many times. It’s great to see the idology team back! I also love that you threw in some idol clips. I don’t watch xfactor, but it looks like I’ll get the gist from here.

Comment by Sha – September 20, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post