Reality Check: 'Top Judge' Prize to Britney or Blake? Plus: Best & Worst of The Voice & X Factor

Does Britney Spears have the potential to be the greatest reality-show judge on TV today? Is it possible that everyone on the planet has a crush on Blake Shelton? And are the audition rounds too early for a reality contestant to engage the audience in a game of “shout my name like I’m a superstar”?

These vital questions and more get tackled in the premiere of Reality Check, a new video series hosted by American Idol‘s Melinda Doolittle and yours truly that takes a deep dive into The X Factor, The Voice, and (occasionally) other reality-competition series.

This week, Melinda and I dish which of the fall’s much-hyped singing series had the most satisfying opening week, which contestants we’re excited to follow into the Battle Rounds/Boot Camp, and why we’re a little obsessed with L.A. Reid’s face.

So press play below for the whole shebang, and for all my reality news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Fantastic. This is what was missing here for these two shows.

2. BIG FAN OF YOU GUYS!! says:

I honestly thought I was going to have to wait for AI to start again to see your web recaps again!! I’m SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!

3. blingedup says:

Quite a nice little Monday morning gift. Yippee! Looking forward to these recaps.

4. Strepsi says:

Michael you talked for 2:43 minutes straight without giving Melinda an opening! Hopefully you can learn to *dialogue* — poor woman just sat there nodding!

5. Adam says:

FINALLY YOU GUYS ARE BACK!!! :D

6. Clio says:

YAY! SO pleased to get you two talking about these other shows as well. Fantastic!

7. Kim R says:

Will be so looking forward to the next one! :) Well done.

8. Joe says:

Sorry, Michael, I almost always agree with you, but I just can’t believe that anyone who thinks Janelle Garcia’s “Paris (Ooh La La)” cover good has ever heard Grace Potter sing. THAT girl can rock — I thought Janelle sounded weak and tone-less in comparison.

9. Leila says:

The Voice is much better than X-Factor – contestants who can actually sing, and who are not made fun of by judges.

10. Stormy says:

I still can’t tolerate Simon, so can’t love X-factor. And while I have nothing against Britney, she looks like a worn out suburban matron. Love the blind auditions on Voice, but don’t care for the format after the auditions are done. And sadly, it looks as though they aren’t going to do anything about Idol’s voting policy. So, I’m without a show to love in the music category.

11. Sean D says:

Oh my this is such a surprise! LOVE! more michael and melinda, just what the world needs.

12. xtoast says:

Nice to have you two back! I laughed at the first Randy montage and “Footage unavailable” for Lee’s Hallelujah.

13. Saulo says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I haven’t watched it yet – but already love it.
    Great to see the one and only Melinda back as well.

Thank you, Michael and TVLine. This is AMAZING!!!!!

14. EddieZ says:

D-O-M-O N-O!

15. Ash Q says:

This is great! So happy you guys are doing a series on X Factor and The Voice

16. dmpenry says:

You have just brightened my Monday morning! Love you two together and am glad you are doing this for more shows.

17. sauloccl says:

I disagree. I love the rejected people who can’t sing and are made fun of. Someone gotta tell them they’re not going anywhere with their singing careers. Can you imagine what it’s like for their families and friends… to have to listen that crap??? They’re the best thing of the first episodes of these shows. In the following, there’ll be plenty of time for those who are really talented but the minutes given to that Bride Dude or the Britney fan are definitely not wasted. But I agree with Melinda. 10 minutes of terrible drama that the constestants’ lives are wasted.

18. Kathy V. says:

What fun to have Michael and Melinda back and delighting us with their observations and a little snark. Favorite moment this week….little Carly on X-factor. As soon as she opened her mouth and we heard that rich color and beautiful tone, we were blown away. I remember feeling that way when Melinda auditioned for AI.

19. soarin829 says:

I’m not watching either of these shows, but I don’t care. I’ll watch Slezak and Dolittle talk about anything!

20. Lorena says:

I think all the world has a crush on Blake Shelton i love him since the voice one and didnt know who he was

21. Annie says:

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I love your recaps with Melinda! Only complaint is I wish they were longer.

22. Amanda says:

Could you guys possibly post a transcript of your videos? Some of us check out this website at work during lunch breaks, where we can’t watch the videos. Thank you!

23. marygrace says:

Love the recaps with you two! Thank you for adding them for the XFactor shows.

24. Ann VerWiebe says:

You guys rock! I missed you so much!

25. MB says:

So happy yo see this. I really missed you guys.

26. AuntTallulah says:

Yeah! Michael and Melinda! I love you both and am so excited you’re back!

27. Tara says:

YAY!!!! This totally made my day!

28. Mari says:

OMG you’re like in my head! As soon as I saw Janel Garcia I told my mom she looked like Allison Iraheta. I miss her so much.

29. Thea says:

This made my day a whole lot brighter! Love hearing your view =)

30. dj says:

So glad you guys are doing this because I am having trouble keeping up with these two shows already, and now it’s no big d if I miss one because you will show me the best and the worst. I love the two of you together. I know it’s not a music/voting show, but I would love for you two to dish on honey boo boo.

31. Casey says:

Yay! So glad you guys are back! Mondays just got better.

32. CB says:

This makes me so very very happy!!!

33. steve says:

Michael Editing can do wonders. Lets wait for the live shows before deciding if she is honest etc

34. Lourdes says:

You guys put any other commentary shows to shame. Such wonderful insights and great humor and cameraderie!!

35. DeeKayTee says:

Loved it! I will be needing more of these ASAP! Thank you.

36. bjp says:

Love the new reality check! Exactly what we needed!!

37. Nermal says:

Gasp! Michael! Carly Rae Jepsen was a finalist on Canadian Idol and she is really good live. Go on, You Tube it!

38. Sha says:

LOVED this! I lol-ed many times. It’s great to see the idology team back! I also love that you threw in some idol clips. I don’t watch xfactor, but it looks like I’ll get the gist from here.