General Hospital's John Ingle Dead at 84; Actor's Recent Final Appearance Came at His Request

John Ingle DeadJohn Ingle, who played General Hospital’s Edward Quartermaine for nearly two decades, died Sunday at age 84.

Ingle’s family announced his passing Monday on Facebook. GH executive producer Frank Valentini later shared the news via Twitter, saying, “We love him and will miss him. John will always be part of the #GH family.”

Ingle played the ABC soap’s irascible Quartermaine patriarch on and off for 19 years (succeeding David Lewis, who died in 2000), with his last stint beginning in 2006. In recent years, Edward was a mainly backburner player whose storylines involved health scares such as the character’s 2009 heart attack.

UPDATE: Ingle’s final GH appearance, on Sept. 11, came at the actor’s request to play Edward one last time, ABC notes. With a simple “I love you, too,” a thumbs up and a smile, he and we bid adieu to Edward.

RELATEDGeneral Hospital Team Talks of Rebuilding, Plus 7 More Scooplets

During one of his breaks from Port Charles, Ingle spent two years playing Mickey Horton on NBC’s Days of Our Lives.

Ingle’s showbiz career began in the 1980s and included roles on The Drew Carey Show, Knots Landing, Big Love, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Beverly Hills, 90210,.

1. MoxieSue says:

That’s sad. I haven’t watched GH for years, but I always loved his Edward.

• Mona Mello says:

I just learned about this from one of John’s ex-cast member’s Rick Herbst. He adored him just like the viewers. I could see that John, when seen on interviews, was such a great man, he really cared about teaching & helping actors. Me, I have missed Lila & now Edward. LOVE the Quartermain’s!!! R.I.P. John, you were the BEST.

2. Cyn Mackley says:

A great actor who will be missed.

3. renee says:

Sad to hear. He looked so frail on his last appearance on GH. Hope they give him a fitting tribute.

4. MK says:

RIP John Ingle – He was also the drama teacher at Beverly Hills HS and Hollywood High. Former students have quite a success rate:
    Here’s an article. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19850724&id=gQshAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kHIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2394,3148215

5. tp says:

I haven’t watched GH in at least 20 years. I remember when this Edward started. Sorry to hear this.

6. Connie says:

Very Sad! He will truly be missed. Prayers go out to his family

7. Amanda says:

That is sad. He was great as Edward and it was clear he enjoyed the playing the role.

8. pecola says:

Aww, my condolences to his family, friends and colleagues…

He really was my favorite Edward…the perfect combination of ruthless businessman and heartwarming teddy bear. He’ll be missed.

9. Debbie M says:

So sad. I had a bad feeling that he wasn’t long for this world as his wife passed in February. RIP John. You will be missed on GH.

10. crochetowl says:

Very Sad. I watched his final scenes online and they were pretty much saying those would have been it for him. At least he is now with his wife together.

• Denise says:

I am so glad he requested those last scenes. It was a touching goodbye to his fans. I am also grateful for the tweets warning me that it would probably be his last.

11. Heather says:

Such sad news. He was a treasure and while I haven’t watched GH in years either, he was always one of my favorite people on the show. He will be missed a great deal and I hope they do some sort of tribute for him. RIP =(

12. Jeanne says:

I’m so sad to hear of John Ingle’s passing. I’ve enjoyed watching him on GH since he took on the roll of Edward Quartermain. He was definitely a fan favorite and I know that the show will never be the same without him. My condolences go out to his family and friends. RIP John.

13. Karla says:

It seems he missed his wife and he is now with her and in a way that is as it should be………………………….. May we all be so lucky to be loved like that in life………………..RIP John Ingle you gave us much joy for many years.

14. Mary says:

I haven’t watched GH in years but Edward was always one of my favorite characters. John Ingl was one of those actors who took the sucky writing and still managed to shine. I hope GH pays tribute to him and Edward!

15. Caro says:

I recently started watching GH when Brenda came back last year and while her return was so poorly written it was pathetic I kept watching the show even after she left. The scenes with John Ingle were too few but always wonderful. No matter his health he always delivered! RIP John Ingle – you will be missed!

16. Julie Lamar says:

Having done a bit of work as a dancer on GH years back, I can say first hand what a gracious, kind and sweet man he was. He will surely be missed by those who love him personally and professionally . God Bless his family and may he rest in eternal peace.

17. DavidSask says:

R.I.P. John was great on GH!!

18. Amy E says:

RIP. And what a fitting story line he just did that made me cry when he waved to Emma.
    You will missed!!!

19. L. Rowe says:

I remember seeing him @ a few of the Soap Events in Florida. He seemed to really enjoy them. He’d have his wife and daughters with him. I will really miss seeing on GH. My thoughts go out to his family.

20. Renee says:

Awww. I hate that. RIP.

21. Mick says:

Kimberly McCullough did a good goodbye interview on her youtube channel where he talked about his family. R.I.P John Ingle

22. Taryn says:

He was truly great. R.I.P

23. Kay Sloan says:

He was such a good addition on GH & he most surely will be missed. His last scene with little Emma was so sweet & tender, but he did look very frail. RIP Edward! Heaven has a new angel!!!

24. Liz says:

I’m not really surprised to hear that John Ingle has died. He looked so frail on GH last week. I know he was battling cancer, but I really think he wife’s death earlier this year took a toll on him. I hope he rests in peace. :(

25. lipsticksocialism says:

RIP John Ingle. How beautiful of him to think of the fans and request a last performance before he died. <3 <3

26. He was a very talented actor. He will be missed. R.I.P.

27. patti says:

Very talented and lovely actor/man. I adored him as Edward. RIP

28. Lyndsey says:

A fantastic man and actor! No one else could play Edward Quartermaine for me. His scenes were always delightful, even when he was being ruthless you couldn’t help but love him. He will be sorely missed.

29. Jean says:

He will be missed. I feel GH cheated us of great stories with him. I almost wish they would recast so Edward could live on… John Ingle… thank you for so many great GH memories.

30. Bob says:

So sad. GH is a shell of its former self. They killed off too many important characters or fired too many actors over the last several years.

31. Keren says:

May John Rest In Peace. My prayers go out to his family and to all those dealing with the death of a loved one.

32. Dr. Emmell J. Beech says:

Jennifer please express my sorrow to the rest of the family. Being your 6th grade teacher afforded me the priviledge to meet John and Grace Lynn often. T treasyred every moment
    God Bless