General Hospital's John Ingle Dead at 84; Actor's Recent Final Appearance Came at His Request

John Ingle DeadJohn Ingle, who played General Hospital’s Edward Quartermaine for nearly two decades, died Sunday at age 84.

Ingle’s family announced his passing Monday on Facebook. GH executive producer Frank Valentini later shared the news via Twitter, saying, “We love him and will miss him. John will always be part of the #GH family.”

Ingle played the ABC soap’s irascible Quartermaine patriarch on and off for 19 years (succeeding David Lewis, who died in 2000), with his last stint beginning in 2006. In recent years, Edward was a mainly backburner player whose storylines involved health scares such as the character’s 2009 heart attack.

UPDATE: Ingle’s final GH appearance, on Sept. 11, came at the actor’s request to play Edward one last time, ABC notes. With a simple “I love you, too,” a thumbs up and a smile, he and we bid adieu to Edward.

RELATEDGeneral Hospital Team Talks of Rebuilding, Plus 7 More Scooplets

During one of his breaks from Port Charles, Ingle spent two years playing Mickey Horton on NBC’s Days of Our Lives.

Ingle’s showbiz career began in the 1980s and included roles on The Drew Carey Show, Knots Landing, Big Love, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Beverly Hills, 90210,.

Comments (38)

• That’s sad. I haven’t watched GH for years, but I always loved his Edward.

Comment by MoxieSue – September 17, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just learned about this from one of John’s ex-cast member’s Rick Herbst. He adored him just like the viewers. I could see that John, when seen on interviews, was such a great man, he really cared about teaching & helping actors. Me, I have missed Lila & now Edward. LOVE the Quartermain’s!!! R.I.P. John, you were the BEST.

Comment by Mona Mello – September 17, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A great actor who will be missed.

Comment by Cyn Mackley – September 17, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to hear. He looked so frail on his last appearance on GH. Hope they give him a fitting tribute.

Comment by renee – September 17, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope it’s done the way Lila’s was done, and they can bring in some other characters (Ned & Dillon) for at least one day.

Comment by Meg – September 17, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Lila’s funeral was so good.

Comment by Liz – September 17, 2012 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP John Ingle – He was also the drama teacher at Beverly Hills HS and Hollywood High. Former students have quite a success rate:
    Here’s an article. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19850724&id=gQshAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kHIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2394,3148215

Comment by MK – September 17, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dunder!

Comment by Jason – September 17, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched GH in at least 20 years. I remember when this Edward started. Sorry to hear this.

Comment by tp – September 17, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very Sad! He will truly be missed. Prayers go out to his family

Comment by Connie – September 17, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is sad. He was great as Edward and it was clear he enjoyed the playing the role.

Comment by Amanda – September 17, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww, my condolences to his family, friends and colleagues…

He really was my favorite Edward…the perfect combination of ruthless businessman and heartwarming teddy bear. He’ll be missed.

Comment by pecola – September 17, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. I had a bad feeling that he wasn’t long for this world as his wife passed in February. RIP John. You will be missed on GH.

Comment by Debbie M – September 17, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very Sad. I watched his final scenes online and they were pretty much saying those would have been it for him. At least he is now with his wife together.

Comment by crochetowl – September 17, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so glad he requested those last scenes. It was a touching goodbye to his fans. I am also grateful for the tweets warning me that it would probably be his last.

Comment by Denise – September 17, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such sad news. He was a treasure and while I haven’t watched GH in years either, he was always one of my favorite people on the show. He will be missed a great deal and I hope they do some sort of tribute for him. RIP =(

Comment by Heather – September 17, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad to hear of John Ingle’s passing. I’ve enjoyed watching him on GH since he took on the roll of Edward Quartermain. He was definitely a fan favorite and I know that the show will never be the same without him. My condolences go out to his family and friends. RIP John.

Comment by Jeanne – September 17, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems he missed his wife and he is now with her and in a way that is as it should be………………………….. May we all be so lucky to be loved like that in life………………..RIP John Ingle you gave us much joy for many years.

Comment by Karla – September 17, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched GH in years but Edward was always one of my favorite characters. John Ingl was one of those actors who took the sucky writing and still managed to shine. I hope GH pays tribute to him and Edward!

Comment by Mary – September 17, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recently started watching GH when Brenda came back last year and while her return was so poorly written it was pathetic I kept watching the show even after she left. The scenes with John Ingle were too few but always wonderful. No matter his health he always delivered! RIP John Ingle – you will be missed!

Comment by Caro – September 17, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having done a bit of work as a dancer on GH years back, I can say first hand what a gracious, kind and sweet man he was. He will surely be missed by those who love him personally and professionally . God Bless his family and may he rest in eternal peace.

Comment by Julie Lamar – September 17, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. John was great on GH!!

Comment by DavidSask – September 17, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP. And what a fitting story line he just did that made me cry when he waved to Emma.
    You will missed!!!

Comment by Amy E – September 17, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember seeing him @ a few of the Soap Events in Florida. He seemed to really enjoy them. He’d have his wife and daughters with him. I will really miss seeing on GH. My thoughts go out to his family.

Comment by L. Rowe – September 17, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww. I hate that. RIP.

Comment by Renee – September 17, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kimberly McCullough did a good goodbye interview on her youtube channel where he talked about his family. R.I.P John Ingle

Comment by Mick – September 17, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was truly great. R.I.P

Comment by Taryn – September 17, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was such a good addition on GH & he most surely will be missed. His last scene with little Emma was so sweet & tender, but he did look very frail. RIP Edward! Heaven has a new angel!!!

Comment by Kay Sloan – September 17, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not really surprised to hear that John Ingle has died. He looked so frail on GH last week. I know he was battling cancer, but I really think he wife’s death earlier this year took a toll on him. I hope he rests in peace. :(

Comment by Liz – September 17, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP John Ingle. How beautiful of him to think of the fans and request a last performance before he died. <3 <3

Comment by lipsticksocialism – September 17, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was a very talented actor. He will be missed. R.I.P.

Comment by Barbara Mobleyel – September 17, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very talented and lovely actor/man. I adored him as Edward. RIP

Comment by patti – September 17, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A fantastic man and actor! No one else could play Edward Quartermaine for me. His scenes were always delightful, even when he was being ruthless you couldn’t help but love him. He will be sorely missed.

Comment by Lyndsey – September 17, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will be missed. I feel GH cheated us of great stories with him. I almost wish they would recast so Edward could live on… John Ingle… thank you for so many great GH memories.

Comment by Jean – September 18, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad. GH is a shell of its former self. They killed off too many important characters or fired too many actors over the last several years.

Comment by Bob – September 18, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • May John Rest In Peace. My prayers go out to his family and to all those dealing with the death of a loved one.

Comment by Keren – September 18, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer please express my sorrow to the rest of the family. Being your 6th grade teacher afforded me the priviledge to meet John and Grace Lynn often. T treasyred every moment
    God Bless
    Dr. Emmell J. Beech

Comment by Dr. Emmell J. Beech – September 29, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post