Exclusive HIMYM Clip: Ted and Victoria's Happy Ending Interrupted By... the Ghost of Stella?

Ted and Victoria’s escape plan hits a speed bump in How I Met Your Mother‘s eighth season premiere (Sept. 24 at 8/7c on CBS) when the runaway bride makes a troubling confession: she failed to leave her jilted husband-to-be, Klaus, a Dear John letter.

RELATED | Scoop on How I Met Your Mother‘s “Break-Up Month” — Plus Spoilers on 46 Other Returning Shows!

“When you leave someone at the altar you always leave a note — it’s common courtesy,” Ted harrumphs to Victoria in the following exclusive clip from next Monday’s opener. “When Stella left me at the altar at least I got an explanation. That note is what keeps you sane. You read it. You re-read it. You memorize it. You sleep with it. You sniff it because it still kinda smells like her.”

If it sounds like T-Dog still harbors some resentment towards Stella, just wait until you find out what became of his ex’s fateful farewell missive. Actually, no need to wait — just press PLAY below!

Loading video...

1. Shar says:

Oh, Ted, Teddy, Ted, Ted!

2. You sleep with it because it kinda smells like her….oh how I’ve missed you Ted

3. Skeff says:

Can’t view while at work – can someone summarize in the comments? :)

4. Ethan says:

This just reminds me of how much I actually like Stella and Ted. I still remembered their 10 sessions and the two-minute date. Then they had to go and break them up and ruined Stella’s character. I see the same thing happening with Victoria this season…

• rachelleet says:

Seriously. She was a great character that viewers seemed to really like (AND…she seemed to fit in the group pretty well…). GAH. I still hope we get to meet the mother before the series finale. I think I would be upset if we didn’t get to know her first…

5. alix says:

Honest question: Are people actually looking forward to this storyline? I know that HIMYM is about the journey rather than the destination and normally I’m the biggest proponent of that ever. Normally I’m a genuinely huge HIMYM fan, warts and all.

But this particular storyline and knowing how it will inevitably end seems not only pointless and pathetic (and makes both Ted and Victoria look like really horrible people), it also looks criminally uninteresting. That’s probably the worst of all!

• Josh says:

I agree…considering what happened with Ted and Stella, for Ted to do this makes him the biggest scumbag…and then what’s worse is we know she isn’t the mother. We know this is going no where…

• ultimate troll says:

The *biggest* scumbag? I mean I’d argue scumbag. It’s douchey to be sure, mega-douchey even. Victoria’s not winning any prizes for this move either.

• Kristina says:

I am…I always liked Victoria’s character, and I’m not really a big fan of the Robin/Barney pairing so I’m glad there’s another storyline going on.

• Rachel says:

I agree. I always loved Victoria, and I used to look forward to her return, but in this capacity I’m a little annoyed. Considering how messed up Ted was after Stella, and how he and Victoria left things at the beginning of last season…I just wish they had left well enough alone. I’m hoping this doesn’t last long, that SOMEONE knocks some sense into him.

• Courtney says:

I’m not looking forward to this season at all. I’m not a Barney/Robin fan either, and I LOVE Victoria, so knowing that Ted/Victoria, Barney/Quinn & Robin/[does her guy have a name yet?] are all just going to breakup, we are just watching pointless stories. It sucks.

• Ethan says:

It’s just really stupid. They constantly stressed that it’s Ted’s journey that is important and he is suppose to learn something along the way. So I guess after Stella, he learned to LEAVE A NOTE?? Um…how about NOT running off with the bride? I just don’t see this storyline ends well for both Ted and Victoria.

6. Chalice93 says:

Damn, Ted really loved Stella huh?

7. justsomegirl says:

I really do like Victoria, I thought her and Ted made a cute pair, but I’m not a big fan of her running away with Ted when she’s supposed to marry someone else. You would think Ted would think twice about running off with the bride when he himself knows that harsh feeling about getting left at the altar. I understand the whole idea of closure on Ted/past girlfriends in order for him to be ready to meet “the one” but c’mon, do they have to do it under these circumstances? Oh well, not really so much invested in this storyline as I am with Robin/Barney. I expect to see a lot from those two, including “the talk” they should’ve had when they first started dating, the baby talk, and I hope for an exciting and believable reunion. Right now, their storyline and how they get back together and marry is the only thing I really care about this upcoming season.

• Dark Defender says:

It didn’t seem to bother him when he dated that 70’s girl from college and became the “dude, I didn’t know” guy..

8. urggg says:

Is ted a blueth?

9. anon anon says:

Er, wasn’t Victoria with that dude for like 6 years? And hasn’t seen Ted in the same amount of time? Are we really supposed to believe that she’s just been “in love” with him for literally YEARS and never did anything about it until her wedding day? She doesn’t even know Ted anymore! Sure, we know that he’s essentially a static character, but for most people a lot things can and do change in that amount of time. They should be totally different people and it’s plain ol’ stupid and hurtful for them to be doing this. Shame on, Ted. (*realizes it’s a fictional character, doesn’t care*)

Furthermore, even if we are supposed to believe that Victoria “loves” Ted, then even on the most basic level, Ted himself has been “in love” with several women since then, including Robin twice..and would have married Stella without hesitation if this clip is any indication. It’s not like he was holdin’ out for Victoria.

So why are we supposed to be rooting for this doomed couple again?

At least Barney and Robin are actually going to get married, so the annoyances of their interim relationships have a clear end goal.

10. The Squatch says:

Just a random thought: What if the whole Barney / Robin wedding isn’t what they are making it out to be. Maybe he is just marrying her because she is about to be deported back to Canada? heh

• justsomegirl says:

• anne says:

She has American citizenship. There was a whole episode dedicated to that.

• anne says:

Also, just….no. Whether or not you’re a fan of B/R as a couple, a romantic relationship between them and a marriage is going to happen; it’s been confirmed several times by the show runners. It’s a waste of time and energy to endless ponder on and on about why that can’t be. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Or focus on the parts of the show you do like.