Fall TV Preview

Exclusive HIMYM Clip: Ted and Victoria's Happy Ending Interrupted By… the Ghost of Stella?

Ted and Victoria’s escape plan hits a speed bump in How I Met Your Mother‘s eighth season premiere (Sept. 24 at 8/7c on CBS) when the runaway bride makes a troubling confession: she failed to leave her jilted husband-to-be, Klaus, a Dear John letter.

RELATED | Scoop on How I Met Your Mother‘s “Break-Up Month” — Plus Spoilers on 46 Other Returning Shows!

“When you leave someone at the altar you always leave a note — it’s common courtesy,” Ted harrumphs to Victoria in the following exclusive clip from next Monday’s opener. “When Stella left me at the altar at least I got an explanation. That note is what keeps you sane. You read it. You re-read it. You memorize it. You sleep with it. You sniff it because it still kinda smells like her.”

If it sounds like T-Dog still harbors some resentment towards Stella, just wait until you find out what became of his ex’s fateful farewell missive. Actually, no need to wait — just press PLAY below!

Loading video...

Comments (28)

• Oh, Ted, Teddy, Ted, Ted!

Comment by Shar – September 17, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You sleep with it because it kinda smells like her….oh how I’ve missed you Ted

Comment by Kris Bennett (@krys723) – September 17, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t view while at work – can someone summarize in the comments? :)

Comment by Skeff – September 17, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes please?

Comment by justjack – September 17, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He tied the note to a brick and threw it through her window :) (Fav line: “You always leave a note, it’s common courtesy!” / “I think ‘common courtesy’ went out the window when I did!”)

Comment by Rachel – September 17, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just reminds me of how much I actually like Stella and Ted. I still remembered their 10 sessions and the two-minute date. Then they had to go and break them up and ruined Stella’s character. I see the same thing happening with Victoria this season…

Comment by Ethan – September 17, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously. She was a great character that viewers seemed to really like (AND…she seemed to fit in the group pretty well…). GAH. I still hope we get to meet the mother before the series finale. I think I would be upset if we didn’t get to know her first…

Comment by rachelleet – September 17, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She lived in New Jersey and didn’t like Star Wars…..she didn’t fit in.

Comment by GeoDiva – September 17, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honest question: Are people actually looking forward to this storyline? I know that HIMYM is about the journey rather than the destination and normally I’m the biggest proponent of that ever. Normally I’m a genuinely huge HIMYM fan, warts and all.

But this particular storyline and knowing how it will inevitably end seems not only pointless and pathetic (and makes both Ted and Victoria look like really horrible people), it also looks criminally uninteresting. That’s probably the worst of all!

Comment by alix – September 17, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…considering what happened with Ted and Stella, for Ted to do this makes him the biggest scumbag…and then what’s worse is we know she isn’t the mother. We know this is going no where…

Comment by Josh – September 17, 2012 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The *biggest* scumbag? I mean I’d argue scumbag. It’s douchey to be sure, mega-douchey even. Victoria’s not winning any prizes for this move either.

Comment by ultimate troll – September 17, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am…I always liked Victoria’s character, and I’m not really a big fan of the Robin/Barney pairing so I’m glad there’s another storyline going on.

Comment by Kristina – September 17, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I always loved Victoria, and I used to look forward to her return, but in this capacity I’m a little annoyed. Considering how messed up Ted was after Stella, and how he and Victoria left things at the beginning of last season…I just wish they had left well enough alone. I’m hoping this doesn’t last long, that SOMEONE knocks some sense into him.

Comment by Rachel – September 17, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not looking forward to this season at all. I’m not a Barney/Robin fan either, and I LOVE Victoria, so knowing that Ted/Victoria, Barney/Quinn & Robin/[does her guy have a name yet?] are all just going to breakup, we are just watching pointless stories. It sucks.

Comment by Courtney – September 17, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s just really stupid. They constantly stressed that it’s Ted’s journey that is important and he is suppose to learn something along the way. So I guess after Stella, he learned to LEAVE A NOTE?? Um…how about NOT running off with the bride? I just don’t see this storyline ends well for both Ted and Victoria.

Comment by Ethan – September 17, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn, Ted really loved Stella huh?

Comment by Chalice93 – September 17, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really do like Victoria, I thought her and Ted made a cute pair, but I’m not a big fan of her running away with Ted when she’s supposed to marry someone else. You would think Ted would think twice about running off with the bride when he himself knows that harsh feeling about getting left at the altar. I understand the whole idea of closure on Ted/past girlfriends in order for him to be ready to meet “the one” but c’mon, do they have to do it under these circumstances? Oh well, not really so much invested in this storyline as I am with Robin/Barney. I expect to see a lot from those two, including “the talk” they should’ve had when they first started dating, the baby talk, and I hope for an exciting and believable reunion. Right now, their storyline and how they get back together and marry is the only thing I really care about this upcoming season.

Comment by justsomegirl – September 17, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t seem to bother him when he dated that 70′s girl from college and became the “dude, I didn’t know” guy..

Comment by Dark Defender – September 17, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is ted a blueth?

Comment by urggg – September 17, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “And that’s why you always leave a note.”

Comment by anon anon – September 17, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • dying

Comment by ohlala – September 18, 2012 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Er, wasn’t Victoria with that dude for like 6 years? And hasn’t seen Ted in the same amount of time? Are we really supposed to believe that she’s just been “in love” with him for literally YEARS and never did anything about it until her wedding day? She doesn’t even know Ted anymore! Sure, we know that he’s essentially a static character, but for most people a lot things can and do change in that amount of time. They should be totally different people and it’s plain ol’ stupid and hurtful for them to be doing this. Shame on, Ted. (*realizes it’s a fictional character, doesn’t care*)

Furthermore, even if we are supposed to believe that Victoria “loves” Ted, then even on the most basic level, Ted himself has been “in love” with several women since then, including Robin twice..and would have married Stella without hesitation if this clip is any indication. It’s not like he was holdin’ out for Victoria.

So why are we supposed to be rooting for this doomed couple again?

At least Barney and Robin are actually going to get married, so the annoyances of their interim relationships have a clear end goal.

Comment by anon anon – September 17, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Shame on Ted. Though, I suppose he could be “shaming on!” as well.

Comment by anon anon – September 17, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just a random thought: What if the whole Barney / Robin wedding isn’t what they are making it out to be. Maybe he is just marrying her because she is about to be deported back to Canada? heh

Comment by The Squatch – September 17, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by justsomegirl – September 18, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has American citizenship. There was a whole episode dedicated to that.

Comment by anne – September 19, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, just….no. Whether or not you’re a fan of B/R as a couple, a romantic relationship between them and a marriage is going to happen; it’s been confirmed several times by the show runners. It’s a waste of time and energy to endless ponder on and on about why that can’t be. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Or focus on the parts of the show you do like.

Comment by anne – September 19, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post