Exclusive

Exclusive Walking Dead First Look: The Zombies (Literally) Fence In the Survivors!

As the Oct. 14 return of The Walking Dead nears, we’re getting a clearer picture of just how dire the survivors’ situation is — thanks to, literally, a picture.

In the exclusive first look from Season 3 below, we see our heroes inside the gates of the prison in which they’ll seek refuge, a pack of walkers only a chain link away. So, on one hand, they’re “safe,” and on the other, they’re trapped.

Our interpretation: Yikes!

RELATED | The Walking Dead Spoiler — Who’s Dying in Season 3?

“I’m excited,” executive producer Robert Kirkman previously told TVLine. “There are new characters [coming] and a new tone. We’ve done some really cool stuff.”

Including the evolving of little Carl, which you can almost see for yourself in the second photo. Not only has Chandler Riggs grown into his character’s (no longer quite so) oversized sheriff’s hat, but his glare says, “I mean business!”

“He’s very much a part of the group now,” Kirkman has said. He’s “in the mix in really startling ways.”

RELATED | Walking Dead Boss Confirms — More Airtime For [Spoiler]

So, what do you think? Anxious to get back into AMC’s monster hit? And what are you most looking forward to — meeting David Morrissey’s Governor, getting to know Danai Gurira’s Michonne or… something else entirely? Hit the comments.

Photo Credit: Gene Page/AMC

1. Heather says:

I can’t wait until they kill off Lori, she’s a sexually blinded, shellfish woman. Even if my husband was dead I wouldn’t be bumping uglies with anyone until I either saw his body or put a bullet in him myself. But besides that IT’S THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE and you’re sexing in the woods?? Really!?!?!? (no condoms, what’d she think would happen? Freakin unicorns and cotton candy would pop out her cooch?) Then you get pissed when your husband really is alive and comes back to claim the life, wife and child he left behind when he was left for dead in the hospital by his so called friend. Shane was thinking all along “hmmm I’ll put a rolling hospital bed in front of a door that OPENS into my friends hospital room with zombies running around… They totally can’t push a handle down! I will go a fill in for him with his wife and kid. It’ll be like he never existed!”. Shane became the jilted lover who was borderline insane… But his insanity went full force. I hate that Dale died and it was sad how he died… But really Dale WTH, trying walking out there properly prepared next time! Anyway THE WALKING DEAD FTW!!! Season 3 can’t get here soon enough! Although I’m not sick of watching walking reruns!

Also if they don’t kill Lori off I think she’d be giving birth to a ZOMBIE BABY!!! Maybe it’ll start eating her from the inside towards the end of the season!

• Swift says:

It must have been a mute ninja zombie too, to sneak up on him with all of that tall grass on a quiet night. His original death in the comics was way cooler. How would a zombie baby chew anything, it wouldn’t have teeth? I could see it causing her some issues if it was a still-birth. Too gross to really contemplate. But Dawn of the Dead already did the whole zombie birth thing.

2. Adri says:

Oh my gosh!! I thought I was the only one… I want Lori gone!! I cannot stand her. If she was meant to be liked enough to be kept on the show then they are way off target. I just don’t see the fan base for her character. Even Meryl (Daryl’s brother) is better liked and he’s a butthead (for lack of a better curse word to use). I’m excited to see the characters become smarter about their actions. It has been frustrating sometimes with the decisions they have made.
    (SPOILER ALERT!!!! Well, for anyone that hasn’t watched the whole 2nd season)
    I also would like to express my extreme feelings that Lori was the reason for everything that happened to Sophia. When Sophia is attacked, Lori grabs Carol and holds her down. I would never forgive her for that. That is Carol’s child she should have been allowed to save her!!! Don’t tell me Lori would have really stood by and let Carl be chased by zombies into the forest. No she would have fought like a mother does for her children. Well…. Maybe she wouldn’t since she was always so busy with her two men to give Carl any attention.

• Kelsey says:

I personally have to blame Rick for that one. He’s my fav character and all but why the hell would he leave sophia there. He has a gun and it was one walker, you can’t tell me he couldn’t handle her being with him. He could’ve saved both of their lives.

3. Cocking Dead says:

Who cares about spelling!!! Just be real about yourself and say I read comic books, n stop calling them Graphic Novels! Man…… Spelling and Graphic Novels. GEEKS!
    Now back to the show, once Shane died I realized that no one is safe! So I’m not so much interested in who’s next but rather to see the new characters and where it takes them.
    Now that they know everyone is already infected will that bring about more depression and suicide via massive explosions just to be sure they don’t turn?!?!?
    It’s going to be interesting and I can not wait!

4. I can see merl and T dog fighting again or maybe an atempt on ricks life lol

5. Angel says:

Haha ya’ll are funny! I agree more D, less Lori, Carl needs his a$$ beat and lots of zombies! Can’t wait til the 14 th! Love, love, love this show!!!

6. ELAINE says:

I hate this kid. I hope he gets eaten by the zombies. And so is the mother.

7. Lea says:

Carl needs to go – annoying

8. Brian McLarty says:

Here’s the death toll as I see it. Hershel will be gone by seasons end as will Carol. She adds nothing to the show. Lori will bite it as a season finale. No pun intended. Darryl will end up killing Merle to save either Tdog or Rick from getting killed by him. New long term characters are needed to keep the show fresh.

9. I wonder which person is going to die as it was scripted in the prison when the governor tries to take over the prison they wont give up because of the “blood they spilled” my bet is on hersel getting greased, it wouldnt surprise me if merle was working for the governor either.

I wonder if Morgan and Dwayne show up this season as well and the vato from season one would be cool

10. Tray says:

I do not care if Dish or AMC Never work out their differences. When i found out that dish might not have, I said might not have. AMC ( The Walking Dead).. I switched over to a new cable company as quick as a cat can lick his paws ( ASAP).That’s it that’s all. Why the fuss. JUST SWITCH. Believe me when i tell you …That will show Dish. You don’t beg company’s to take your money or your business. Just Saying!

11. Ok, I might as well say it…. Lori will have a late pregnacy death of her baby and it will be a little walker….. Who knew right..? I can smell this coming just because of how cool it was to see the remake of “Dawn of the dead” , of where a Walker giving birth to a dead baby walker… That blew me away…! I am quite confident that they will not bring this pregnacy to a living full term…. Lol

12. Kb says:

Carl is so confessed right now especially after shooting his dads so called friend. Actually he’s good for movie, his parents have something to live for.

13. Kami says:

Cannot wait to see Michonne and The Governor.

• Swift says:

I was a bit disappointed by the casting of the Governor. Robert Knepper (T-bag from Prison Break) would have been awesome. Michael Clark-Duncan (RIP) would have been a good one for Tyreese.

14. selene says:

i swear every time a new episode airs, i have to play COD black ops Zombies afterwards just to get the zombie hype out of my system.. lol

15. Noemi Gumino says:

I can’t wait to see Daryl and Merle together again

16. John says:

Carl looks like a girl. That’s sad. Also I want Carl to die I always hated him he’s not much of a use but another mouth to feed. I would’ve fed him to the walkers in the beginning.

17. pam says:

ok, everyone that says “well they won’t do that because it’s not in the comics” stop!!! the show is based off the comics, but how much of the comics is actually in the show? how many characters should still be alive if they were doing it exactly like the comics? how many should be dead by now??? Come on, it’s a show!! how many shows or movies actually follow along with the books that they are based on? you guys should stop arguing about it and just watch the show! it’s an awesome show. yea i have my own ideas of who should be killed off and who should stay. but it’s not up to me or any of you guys.

18. Megan says:

I have Dish so I no longer have AMC :( how do I watch it with out internet too? I’m lost without The Walking Dead :(

19. Kelsey says:

It’s just a show people, calm down! I personally was sad when Shane died. People didn’t realize he WAS infact trying to help the group. He was a bit of an ass and maybe was a threat to some people but he did some good for the group. And Carl is just a kid, he might of been annoying and caused some issues, but thats how it was supposed to be. I honestly think lori is the one holding the group back. She won’t let certain people make their own decisions, and now she’s pregnant, which is gonna make her and her family more vulnerable. Someone else said she’s gonna end up dying by getting shot. I think thats just stupid if that happens. Carl was already shot and thats just to basic of a way to die. I think her baby should be a zombie or something cool like that.

20. cristian says:

I can’t wait for season 3 so excited

21. alec69 says:

if daryl dies im not watching the show anymore

22. Teresa says:

I want to know what happend to the cool black man and his son. I also wish they would have a flashback episode so we could see how the world ended and they all came together as a group.each person flash back and then show us how they became the group rick trips on.
    I liked shane he was hot and badass, but rick is hot and sweet…. And there’s something about darryl thar makes him cute.
    I dont want lori or the baby to get killed, even though she drives me crazy… What kind of wife tells her husband trash about his bestfriend then turns on her husband after her lover tried to kill him!!! But i still like what she brings to the show. Carl is a BRAT!
    The rest of the crew is good to, well sophies mom is someone they can off.
    I LOVE THIS SHOW

23. Adam says:

Kids grow up fast when walkers are trying to eat you! The season 3 finale will be televisions Super Bowl!

24. Michelle says:

What happened to The Character played by Lenny James? He played Morgan / Rick met him and his son in episode 1.

25. Sean says:

I wanna see Axel…..you follow me?

• Sleazy says:

YES! Axel was one of my favorite characters, and I have a feeling they are going to leave out all of the inmates, which is sad. It was a really cool part of the story. Since I haven’t heard a peep about the inmates, I’m guessing they will be left out.

26. jamie says:

hate to wish my life away, but i can’t wait for this month to pass to i can watch the show!

27. JP says:

I fear Season 3 will be the last.
    Name the shows (that arent an enormous juggernaut of a franchise the Star Trek) that used lots and lots of extremely expensive prosthetics and make-up that made it to Season 4 or 5. The warning signs, like AMC calling for budget cuts and big pay-cheques like Darabont and DeMunn leaving, are already there…

28. Rich says:

ok carl, lori, rick, merle, daryl, tdawg, and so forth. What about the asian guy and his country bumpkin. There roles started to grow towards the end of season two. Whats everybodys take on those two?

29. Iowa RDH says:

So I don’t know if this is crazy, but they are thinking that everyone has the dormant virus now until they die & come back right? So I keep thinking that since Lori tried to down those pills & with the lack of modern medical tx I could see her baby not making it to delivery (as bad as that sounds). So wouldn’t it be an F’d up twist if her baby became a zombie & started attacking her from the inside out! Maybe a little too B-movie for this show, but I still keep wondering if it could happen.

30. Ryan says:

I hope they kill Rick for the tea sippin bastard he really is under that fraudulent southern accent!

31. Bea says:

Really love the show!!! Hope for more daryl and death to lorry *evil*

32. Becki says:

I love this show. i was shocked the way they wrote shane off. He was a strong member of the group and nice to look at. Lori reacted to shanes death the way she did when she found out Karl had shot him. Lori wanted shane gone but she didnt want her son to do it. Good point brought up about the unborn child. If the baby dies it will turn into a zombie inside her or she delivers the baby and it dies shortly after. Rick has made it clear to the group in the last episode, he is not putting up with bs. Finally Rick has taken a stand and i see how this will unite the group and make them stronger. I do not wish for anyone to killed off, no matter how annoying they are. Each character brings a certain dynamic to the show whether it be positive or negative. The comic book is different from the show so I wouldnt use the comic book as a guide to what is going to happen next. Again its a shame to lose shane, i was convinced after lori and shanes chat near the tower things were looking up and they were ready to move forward but then again without these surprises the show would not be as interesting. Who cried when Sophia came out of the barn? I did. The writers have done a great job creating an element of surprise. The show is not easily predictable and this is why it will last. As long as there is fans there will be The Walking Dead.

• James Williams says:

Becki everything u said was on point pretty much. my only dissension would be that T Dawg is put down.he really is pitch made. As far as peeling order he is only second to carrol. .who can stay so Daryl can have a shorTy.why should glen be the only one getting some apocalyptic trim. And yes i was OMG TRAUMATIC IS TO SUBTLE TO EXPLAIN HOW HURT I WAS. I felt that. wasn’t expecting that at all

33. Becki says:

Thank u Amc for bringing us BB and TWD! :)

34. cuauhtemoc islas says:

This is the best zombie show ever :)

35. Laurie says:

I am so gonna miss this show. I recently moved to a rual area w/DISH as a provider. They do not have AMC! ;(

36. Aaliyah says:

Can someone tell me how the Morgans got seperated from rick and the group?

• Deb says:

if memory serves Rick met the Morgans before he found the group and they separated because the father wanted to get/check on someone. they were supposed to find Rick after a day or two, but for unknown reasons never showed up…Rick still occasionally tries to get him on the radio(he gave the father one before they separated) hoping he’s close enough to make contact.

• James Williams says:

Morgan was never with the group. he saved Rick and stayed behind to target practice with his son. and to take his wife out

37. tina says:

i think we will all be impressed with him this season. he is a big part of the show rather if we like him or not.

38. Tina says:

I think, since all are already infected, that the baby dies in womb- but reawakes as a walker- in womb- and starts eating it’s way out. 2 birds- one stone- and it would make for an awesome scene.

39. charles says:

Step up t dog kick ass

40. James Williams says:

The great thing is he’s really a token and now that michone is on the set maybe they’ll write T Dawg off

41. Jason says:

If I wiped my arse on a bit of paper it would be a better script than this, it seems to follow the typical BS you see on TV all the time. How hard could this be? there’s no point in stringing out issues for an entire season, move on!

42. I just watched the premiere here guys Thewalkingdeadworld.COM <33, awesome :)

43. I just watched the premiere here guys Thewalkingdeadworld.COM awesome :) <33

44. charles says:

Wow wow what more can I say everybody playing they job so far