TVLine Items: Smash Adds Law & Order Vet, USA Orders Pilot From Numb3rs Creators and More!
Things are looking positively Smash-ing for Jesse L. Martin.
The Law & Order alum has booked a recurring role in Season 2 of the hit NBC musical series, Deadline reports. He joins as an artistic director of a theater company who shares a history with several main characters. What’s more, he may become romantically involved with Debra Messing’s Julia.
No stranger to the stage, Martin originated the role of Tom Collins in Rent and then portrayed him in the production’s 2005 big-screen rendition.
Smash, meanwhile, returns to NBC’s lineup at midseason.
Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…
• USA Network has given a cast-contingent pilot order to an untitled drama from Numb3rs creators Cheryl Heuton and Nicolas Falacci. Based on a short story from Justified author Elmore Leonard, the project centers on a politically driven Miami businessman who enters into a marriage of convenience with a Colombian woman to better his election odds.
• Happy Endings has cast Christopher McDonald (Harry’s Law) and Julie Hagerty (What About Bob?) as Jane and Alex’s parents, TVGuide.com reports. The duo will appear in Episode 6 of the ABC comedy’s third season, which bows Oct. 23.
• Jeffrey Nordling (24) will appear in The CW’s new fall drama Arrow. Per Examiner.com, he’ll play the crime boss father of Helena Bertinelli’s Huntress.
• Southland‘s Benjamin McKenzie will reunite with his former O.C. co-star Michael Cassidy in a Season 2 episode of Men at Work. Per TV Guide Magazine, the actor will play the ex-hubby of fellow guest-star Bethany Joy Lenz (One Tree Hill).
• Isaiah Mustafa (aka The Old Spice Guy) has nabbed a Nikita guest spot, TVGuide.com reports. He’ll play Cyrus, one of the Dirty Thirty ex-Division agents the titular spy and her team will track in Season 3. (For more on his role, head here.) The CW spy series launches its new cycle Oct. 19.
• Maria Thayer (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) will play Nick’s ex-girlfriend in New Girl‘s Season 2 Halloween installment, E! Online reports.
• Big Time Rush star James Maslow will guest-star in an episode of Nick at Nite’s new series See Dad Run (debuting Oct. 14), HollywoodLife reports. Star Scott Baio plays a former sitcom actor, and Maslow will portray his now grown-up onscreen “son.”
Which TVLine Items have you talking today?