TVLine Items: Smash Adds Law & Order Vet, USA Orders Pilot From Numb3rs Creators and More!

Smash Jesse L MartinThings are looking positively Smash-ing for Jesse L. Martin.

The Law & Order alum has booked a recurring role in Season 2 of the hit NBC musical series, Deadline reports. He joins as an artistic director of a theater company who shares a history with several main characters. What’s more, he may become romantically involved with Debra Messing’s Julia.

RELATED | NBC Stages Will & Grace Reunion on Smash as Sean Hayes Joins Season 2 Cast

No stranger to the stage, Martin originated the role of Tom Collins in Rent and then portrayed him in the production’s 2005 big-screen rendition.

Smash, meanwhile, returns to NBC’s lineup at midseason.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• USA Network has given a cast-contingent pilot order to an untitled drama from Numb3rs creators Cheryl Heuton and Nicolas Falacci. Based on a short story from Justified author Elmore Leonard, the project centers on a politically driven Miami businessman who enters into a marriage of convenience with a Colombian woman to better his election odds.

• Happy Endings has cast Christopher McDonald (Harry’s Law) and Julie Hagerty (What About Bob?) as Jane and Alex’s parents, TVGuide.com reports. The duo will appear in Episode 6 of the ABC comedy’s third season, which bows Oct. 23.

• Jeffrey Nordling (24) will appear in The CW’s new fall drama Arrow. Per Examiner.com, he’ll play the crime boss father of Helena Bertinelli’s Huntress.

RELATED | Arrow Hits Bullseye, Nabs John Barrowman

• Southland‘s Benjamin McKenzie will reunite with his former O.C. co-star Michael Cassidy in a Season 2 episode of Men at Work. Per TV Guide Magazine, the actor will play the ex-hubby of fellow guest-star Bethany Joy Lenz (One Tree Hill).

• Isaiah Mustafa (aka The Old Spice Guy) has nabbed a Nikita guest spot, TVGuide.com reports. He’ll play Cyrus, one of the Dirty Thirty ex-Division agents the titular spy and her team will track in Season 3. (For more on his role, head here.) The CW spy series launches its new cycle Oct. 19.

• Maria Thayer (Forgetting Sarah Marshall) will play Nick’s ex-girlfriend in New Girl‘s Season 2 Halloween installment, E! Online reports.

• Big Time Rush star James Maslow will guest-star in an episode of Nick at Nite’s new series See Dad Run (debuting Oct. 14), HollywoodLife reports. Star Scott Baio plays a former sitcom actor, and Maslow will portray his now grown-up onscreen “son.”

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots, TVLine Items

1. Stormy says:

I love Jesse L. Martin, but probably not enough to watch Smash. The USA pilot doesn’t sound promising.

2. Maggie says:

we get to finally hear det green sing!! and he has a fabulous voice!! so excited about this!

3. Lori says:

and just when I thought I wasn’t going back to Smash this season. Jesse L Martin makes most things awesome.

• Trent says:

I have to agree. Every single change NBC has made to Smash for season 2 has been good, but this is the best news yet. LOVE Jesse and can’t wait to see Smash v.2.0 next year!

4. P says:

They really need to chill with love interests for Julia. Keep her single a bit, she just got out of a marriage.BAny love interests for Ivy coming up? I’d like to see Ivy find herself some romance this season with a nice guy.

5. Vince Byrd says:

yess, James maslow is one of my all time favorite actors ever. to see him branch off for a bit into a mature role is looking very promising to watch. and will maslovers and rushers of all ages. btr 4ever!woo hoo

6. judebeaux says:

I can’t believe my dear Debra Messing’s gonna have to make out with THAT…

7. Damn, I was planning on giving up on Smash but now I can’t. Those tricky ba$%#$@s.

• Deena says:

I KNOW! I gave up midway through last season and every new person they’ve thrown in for season 2 I’ve still said to myself I wouldn’t watch. This is just playing dirty! I can’t NOT watch now with Jesse as part of the cast on top of all the other people they’ve added who I am also a fan of. Dam you NBC. Dam you I say.

8. Linderella says:

Love Jesse L. Martin…this is the best Smash news yet!

9. Melissa says:

Oh I LOVE Jesse L. Martin!!! i have never seen Smash, but i may just to see him!! he was the best as Collins! stole the show!!! :)

10. Shaun says:

Is it wrong to be more excited for Huntress than Green Arrow?

11. Sareeta says:

Jesse Martin seems like the sweetest guy with such a contagious smile. Plus, the man can sing! I didn’t watch Smash’s first season but I may check out the 2nd season if I hear it gets better.

Yay, another Elmore Leonard series!

12. Tj says:

Cheryl & Nick are THE BEST! I wish them MUCH success!!!

13. Samantha F says:

JESSE!!!! this makes me very happy.