Exclusive Video: Glee Cast Talks New Romance, Old Rivalries and Dark Twists: 'I Die This Year'

Glee Lea Michele Season 4 InterviewGlee‘s new season kicks off tonight (Fox, 9/8c), and TVLine hit the show’s splashy premiere event Wednesday with one goal in mind: to get as much scoop on Year 4 as humanly possible — even if said scoop involves the “death” of a beloved character.

The show’s best dad ever, Mike O’Malley, dropped a (faux) bombshell when he revealed what good ol’ Burt will be up to while Kurt is in New York pursuing his dreams. “I die this year,” the actor deadpanned. “If [Kurt's] in New York, I don’t have anymore episodes. [Burt's] in Ohio or Washington; I have no reason to go to New York.”

RELATED | Glee Video Sneak Peek: New Directions 2.0 Tackles ‘Call Me Maybe’ – Is It Phoneomenal?

So, there you have it, folks: Burt Hummel, “killed” by lack of airtime… for now, anyway.

Lea Michele, meanwhile, talked up Rachel’s “unpredictable” relationship with NYADA standout Brody (played by Dean Geyer) — intel that may not sit well with ‘Finchel’ fans — while Glee newbies Melissa Benoist and Becca Tobin took some time to introduce themselves to their growing Gleek following.

PHOTOS | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of Glee — Plus 45 Other Shows!

And that’s just the start of the spoilerage! Press PLAY below for more Glee goodness, including news on Puck and his baby bro, the identity of Blaine’s new bestie and some fun Sue and Will rivalry talk.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Glee, Interviews, Scoop, Video

1. Mafer says:

#stayawaybrody I just want my Finchel back!!!

2. Amy says:

Sorry Lea but we could care less about Rachel and Brody and it really feels like a slap to the face with Finchel fans that have been around a long time.

3. melp1124 says:

Agreed. I already hate Brody, and it hasn’t even aired yet. #FinchelForever #stayawaybrody

4. Bryn says:

I love you Lea but I will not watch this show if Brody becomes anything important to Rachel. It makes zero sense in my eyes and I want to be able to enjoy the shows I watch.

• Pearl says:

Youare judging too fast. Not all school sweethearts gets to stay together, or be exclusive. She is in a new world, learnig new things, discoering more about who she is, and part of this is discovering other peoples, with new personalities, and learning with them, even having relationships with them. If it’ll work out, if they be just friends, if they’ll date, or if she will get back with finn, this is part of a journey. It’s not the end of Finchell, but it’s a new start to the girl.

5. Paola says:

You cannot kill Burt Hummel what are you talking about do you want angry fans to come murder you in your sleep Ryan Murphy? haha i don’t think so.

• Kay says:

I would think Burt could take a trip to New York once in awhile to see his only son. What is so wrong with a parent doing that? He does have a point, though. Maybe he could “adopt” (not literally) Blaine as his second son and then we would see him more. Since Blaine is still Kurt’s boyfriend.

6. Becky says:

Brody is someone that Rachel needs to meet in her life. We all go through that stage in our life when you need to be desired and want to relish in how that feel. I have no doubt that she will find her way back to Finn. He is the person that truly understands her and whose love and support have made her who she is.

7. Paris says:

Finchel sucks and this show has started to suck.

• Deb says:

Wow what great criticism. I just don’t know what this comment section would be without it.

• Anna says:

Wow that it just so deep

• Susan says:

Youre welcome to stop watching… But this show is nothing without finchel. JS

• Maggie says:

Seriously why even comment on this story if you feel that way? What does it really accomplish?

• Sagelle says:

CONGRATULATIONS FOR FEELING BETTER ABOUT YOURSELF, now that you have commented in such a deep, mature way. I’d give you a cookie if I could! -.-‘

• Nikki says:

lmao it looks like 1 Finchel fan created like 5 alias’ to respond to you!

• Maggie says:

Yes, one person really cares that much to alter their speech. How about the more likely chance that people are calling out a bogus comment.

• Josh says:

I think Glee fans have proven they have nothing better to do than defend a show that is subpar at best.

• Wendy says:

More like teenage fans can’t handle disagreement of any kind.

• Rae says:

My thoughts exactly. I come to read the comments just to see what other people think, but the majority of the people here sound immature and stupid most of the time. I always wonder how old they are.

• Wendy says:

Agreed. Only I think the show started to suck at the beginning of the second season and it’s been downhill from there.

• DD says:

My thoughts exactly. I hope they never get back together, but knowing this show the will at some point so the finchel fans don’t kill themselves or something dramatic like that. I’m really happy they’re giving Rachel a new relationship because they have to be realistic and show the teenage girls that high school relationships aren’t forever in most cases.

• Lorelai says:

One minor correction.. it sucked since season 2. Gone the way of heroes IMO. And Finchel does suck. She has more chemistry with her hairbrush.. good lord I love Cory but want him away from this train wreck.

8. Tana says:

Brody hopefully is someone who can be a friend to her during this scary time in her life. He may be a nice distraction while Finn is MIA but as soon as Finn is back in the picture I can’t believe she would ignore the pull and love that she feels towards him.

9. Winnie says:

I hope Finn returns soon because I will not be able to stomach Rachel with a new guy.

10. Kaitlyn says:

I just want some finchel, not rachel and brody

11. I hate twitter but I will tweet for you Burt Hummel!! His scenes with Kurt are my favorites.

• Kay says:

Yes, I sent a tweet also. I think Burt should become a mentor/friend to Blaine and help him with his anger issues. That way we would be able to see Burt more.

12. Sal says:

I guess we will have to see how the Rachel and Brody storyline plays out but I am just not buying it.

13. Susan says:

“Unpredictable”? Lea youre killin me! God, please dont tell me this is going to be even more painful to watch than season two! :( I miss Finchel!

14. Brittany says:

I just don’t think Brody will be a good addition to the show regardless of finchel

15. Nikki says:

I’m fine with a friend for Rachel, but she doesn’t need a new love interest. Finn needs to show up in NYC stat, and stay there. Rachel and Finn in separate locations is not a Glee I’m going to want to watch for long. Good actors working with each other is the only thing that makes this show still palatable.

16. Debra says:

All I have to say is Finchel Forever, accept no substitutions, not matter how hot they are supposed to be.

17. Emily says:

Finchel Forever

18. Brok says:

I’m hoping unpredictable means that there’s no romance. Sorry, Dean. Brody has no place in Rachel’s heart. Finchel forever.

19. Beth says:

All this Brody nonsense is just something I am not looking forward to watching. I just want Finn and Rachel to find their way back to one another.

20. Marcela says:

As long as the writers are careful with this storyline (meaning they won’t push Rachel to do OOC things), I’ll be fine. It’s all in the pacing and in the reasons behind her actions. I don’t know why they’re bringing a third-party into any of this, tbh, especially since Rachel and Finn really and truly showed how much they care for each other this past season in particular. If she moves on too quickly with Brody, I might not buy anything else the writers throw at us. And, furthermore, I would think that a more pressing concern is Finn’s arc. Why don’t we know more about that! Ever since the Pilot, it’s been hinted that Finn is not a Lima Loser and that he is destined for great things. Rachel saw it. Kurt saw it. Will saw it. Puck saw it. Finn couldn’t see it, but I find an arc in which he finally has a revelation on his capabilities to be more compelling and honest than what the writers seemingly have in store right now. tl;dr I miss Finchel, I miss Finn and I want both Finn and Finchel back on my tv, please!

• Jenny says:

I am a 100 times more interested in a story for Finn than Rachel. I actually thought they were setting up at the start of last season with him finding that path that didn’t make him a Lima Loser but seemed to keep changing it o set up another story arc.

Also so hard for me to buy Glee is actually going to keep Finchel apart too long. They write too much to make fan bases happy. Second, they are doing a classic tv story telling bit of having your end game couple breaking up and getting back together. Happy couples get boring. They spent most of last season pounding in our heads about Finchel destined to be together that I just don’t see a break as final.

21. D says:

I hope Burt does not die! It would just be too sad to handle.
    And also I understand that the writers want to kind of explore new areas with their stroylines, but come on, Finn and Rachel are soulmates, they are attached by that invisible tether. ‘Right down the line’ it’s been them. I feel like this season will be hard to watch for me in that aspect because after the PERFECT romance in season three, after the incredibly touching love confessions after the GODDAMN CAR SCENE, any of them having a similiar connection to someone else would not make sense and really break my heart. I really really REALLY hope that seeing other people will just make them realize how it will never feel that right to be with anyone but each other. #FinchelForever

22. Nix says:

This season is going to be as lame as season two if they’re not careful.

23. Amanda says:

Wow. All these comments make me realize I’m glad I was NEVER a Finchel fan.

• Carla says:

Are articulate responses to an article what turn you off from being a Finchel fan? I don’t ship the two of them together and I don’t see one comment that makes me glad not to be a Finchel fan. Seriously comments like that start shipping wars and it so uncalled for.

• Kaitlyn says:

Comments saying I’m glad I’m not a finchel fan is part of the reason this fandom does not get along, we are just trying to show support for our couple that is all.

• Carla says:

I completely agree with you. I’m not a Finchel fan but why do I need to go around saying that I”m glad I’m not a fan of them. It is petty and childish. I rather focus on the couples I like. If more people just did that our fandom would be a much better place. Everyone deserves the right to like their couple and not be made fun of for it.

• Amanda says:

Seeing as nearly every comment has trashed Brody before the episode has even aired…yep…I stand by my original comment.

• Gil says:

I’ve been a Finchel fan since 2009 when a little show called Glee first started. Finn and Rachel have had so much up and down for three long seasons, and I’ve always been proud of how the Finchel fans have handled themselves on the internet. Of course, there are a few bad seeds like in any fandom, but the Finchel fans I’ve had the pleasure of interacting online, in the forums, on tumblr and twitter are all mature and rational and have a great sense of humor. I’m proud to be a part of this fandom.

24. Jenn says:

Puck is back this season! But where was Quinn? I hope they don’t write off Burt! His and Kurts scenes are heartwrenching in the best way! LOL I hope the writers reunite Finchel soon. I didn’t like Leas choice of words… “unpredictable” is a safe word but i hope Ryan and Brad and Ian remember that Finchel is where most of our hearts lie. Finchel Forever

• Chelle says:

Dianna apparently negotiated out of her contract and won’t be back unless they’ve already filmed some stuff with her prior to that or ask her back for the series finale, aka this season because no way does the show survive all the characters graduating.

• Joslin says:

That’s actually a lie. She will be back a few episodes this season just like the non full time vets (Amber, Mark, Harry) US weekly made that mess up.

25. Dave says:

I’m glad Lea hasn’t been pushing Rachel/Brody as much as she could be. She’s basically saying we’ll see what happens. Compared to how she hypes up the Cassandra arc, it gives me hope for Finchel.

26. murley says:

I am nervous about Finn and rachel, intrigued about Blaine being a weirdo, excited to see more of sam and tina and really glad the wait is over and glee returns tonight!

27. Siren says:

I’m sick and tired of all this Brody on Glee! Finchel don’t necessarily have to be together, but to bring in 3rd parties yet again just bores me. It cheapens the whole of S3 for me. Did this mean absolutely nothing?
    Regardless of how nice Brody might be. I really don’t care for his character. If there’s no Finn, there’s no Glee for me!
    I was so hoping to see a new storyline for FInchel. New challenges. anything new. But no! The same old story over and over. And this made me so disapointed.
    Rachel doesn’t need a new love interest. Neither Finn
    I love both characters individually enough to watch Glee for their personal journeys. I love their chemistry and their story, so I want to see lots of scenes involving both of them.

Finchel is the reason I see Glee.

Finchel is Forever

28. Janis says:

I just want Finchel No more Brody please

29. Laure says:

Cassandra is the best addition to the show. I wish she could stay, but Brody also looks like a good addition. My favorite story is Rachel vs Cassandra, but I’m intrigued by Brody and what he could end up being to Rachel.

30. P says:

I find the fact that an actor is questioning WTF is going on with his character really concerning, apparently they´re changing Blaine for a 3rd time, poor Darren. :(

Burt is the best, please don’t kill/stop using him, I need more Burt Hummel in my life.

31. Lee says:

Video has been removed by the user? WTF?

32. Gabe says:

I really like to that Lea it prmoting her storyline but never have I once seen her say she thinks Brody is best. I think they could have caused conflict without another guy and if they really move Rachel on then I will just tune outbut I am willing to see Finn and Rachel work back to each other as long as it doesn’t take too long.

33. Carla says:

I’m really excited for the Puck and Jake interaction on the show.

34. Dan says:

I’m really not interested in a Glee without Finn and Rachel. They’ve been such a central duo for so long. I’m not even talking relationship wise. I don’t like their storyline involving yet another third party. It’s stale at this point and negates all of Season 3. My ideal Glee would involve Finn/Rachel/Kurt/Santana in NYC together. Lots of crackiness.

35. Video has been removed by user… boo

36. Lorie says:

Why can’t a woman be friends with a man? I know I’m probably in the minority, but I hope the writers see how wonderful Rachel having another platonic male friend would be. She doesn’t need to get with every man who shows interest in her. Hope that’s what Lea meant when she said “unpredictable”. LOL!

37. rick says:

For what I’ve seen through spoilers from yesterday, it seems like Brodys taking advantage of Rachel’s vulnerability to win her over. He knows Rachel still confused about her situation with Finn, that she’s upset that Finn is not contacting with her and that she’s struggling at NYADA. Plus, Finn isn’t around. It seems like he’s taking advantage of the situation, he’s pursuing her hard when he knows that she’s confused. He should give to her some space. I don’t think he’s doing on purpose but something doesn’t seem right.

38. Pry says:

I’ll not be able to face this Brody for a long time. I mean, I’m already tired of him. Finchel fans don’t need third parties in their storyline AGAIN. We already had this. And after seeing how much they love each other in season 3, how they want we accept this? Finn let Rachel go to NY to find her way in Broadway. Not to be distracted by a ‘hot guy’. This is not the Rachel we know and love. This is just wrong.

39. Susie says:

I can’t wait to see how the new characters fit in.

40. Lisa says:

I don’t mind Brody being a friend and mentor to Rachel, especially since she is in a new city and a new school. I hope that is as far as it goes though. Rachel’s heart belongs to Finn and Finn’s to Rachel. They are each other’s home. I have watched the Finchel relationship change and grow for 3 years and I am not giving up on it now.

41. Di says:

I think I am really going to enjoy Marley and Jake’s characters. I hope Kitty isn’t as irritating as I fear she will be.

42. Joslin says:

All of you complaining about the lack of Finchel should be happy they are least still on the show. Look at the fans of Mercedes, Quinn, Puck or Mike there not back full time.

• Kaitlyn says:

We are not complaining we are just saying we are sick of third parties and showing that we still love our couple

• Joslin says:

And I get that but come on now ya’ll know Finchel will be endgame third parties suck but at least you still have the chance to see your couple every week.

43. Lauren says:

Jake and Marley look really cute! Can not wait to see them. Glee will not feel right for me until Finn is back and Brody just does not interest me at all, please just take your abs and go away! Oh and I would love to see some more Burt Hummel I love him and some Carole Hudson-Hummel too!

44. Angel says:

I really like Jacob and Melissa. Looking forward to Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana, Tina, Blaine, Artie, marley, and jake. Only dean and becca bother me a lot. Do not like. I just want my Finchel back. Tired of the bull that the writers are pulling. Season three showed how perfect and meant to be Finchel is. They belong together. They can find themselves and acquire dreams alone and then epically unite. Finchelforever

45. Peggy says:

I don’t hate Brody. I don’t think it’s fair to hate a character I haven’t met yet but I will admit I strongly dislike the plot point. I believe Finchel is forever so I’ll wait for them to get back to that. Not all that interested in Brody. If I have to see them apart, I’m more interested in how they each go out for their individual dreams before coming back together as opposed to watching them parade around with new love interests that in reality are just hiding places from their real feelings for each other.

Looking forward to sassy Tina and Marley/Jake on the McKinley front too!

• Hey says:

Yeah, I’m a big finchel fan but Dean is cute and seems like a nice guy. But I just want my Finn and Rachel back. No hard feelings to Dean, I hope his character is a success on this show,

46. Beth says:

Without Finchel I can’t watch Glee!

47. Clara says:

After the “This is crazy”, I thought they would switch numbers. And yes, this is definitely silly.

48. Heyer says:

I’m tired of all the spoilers and speculations. I just want my Finn back. This is all I want.

49. tw says:

I may be in the minority here, but I’m excited about #brachel

50. Tophu says:

Y’all are crazy. Do you know how often people find relationships once they leave high school? Even if they had a high school sweetheart? Most of the time. Get over it. The fact that Rachel and Finn ever get back together (which I’m assuming that eventually they will) is pretty unrealistic as it is. To make Rachel choose abstinence over Dean Geyer would be outrageous. Come on.

• Deb says:

As someone who is happily married to my high school sweetheart believe me I know it is rare. Most of people do not find the love of their life in high school. But what about those of us that do. I have been with my husband 10 years. We did break up twice for a total of 3 months each time and the time apart helped us understand our needs and ultimately strengthened our relationship. I really hate reading these comments that say high school sweethearts never work. My husband and I are a living breathing examples that it can work.

• murley says:

I think it happens in small towns more often than you think. 2 close friends of mine from high school married their high school sweethearts and 3 friends from college did the same. my husband and i grew up together (he was my crush all through grade school and jr high) and reconnected after college. that strong foundation of shared experience can build loving and lasting relationships.