Community’s Donald Glover Developing New NBC Comedy – Is He Leaving Greendale?

In a move that could shake Troy and Abed’s pillow fort to its very foundation, Community’s Donald Glover is developing a new show for NBC.

The actor, who plays Troy on the NBC sitcom, and Emmy-winning 30 Rock co-executive producer Matt Hubbard are working on a potential starring vehicle for Glover, TVGuide.com reports. (The pair go back to the days when Glover was a 30 Rock scribe.)

The network is apparently so enamored of the concept – which would be vaguely based on Glover’s life —  that it’s very close to locking down a put pilot commitment with a large kill fee.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Community and 46 Other Shows

Thinking that Community without Troy is like Inspector Spacetime without Constable Reggie? Don’t worry, Abed fans. Glover remains committed to his current show’s Season 4, which debuts Friday, Oct. 19 at 8:30/7:30c on NBC.

What do you think? Would you watch Glover in his own show? Hit the comments and let us know!

1. Cokes says:

I’d be thrilled for him to get a show of his own, but it happening at the potential expense of a theoretical season 5 makes me sad, hypothetically.

2. Leah says:

I would totally watch a Donald Glover fronted show. Or anything with Donald Glover it in. But, ABED NEEDS YOU, TROY! YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE GREENDALE! Start your show after the ax finally falls on Community.

3. Josh says:

Sadly I don’t think he’ll have to worry about quitting community. I’m pretty sure we’re going to see the last 13 episodes this year.

4. Superhero says:

On the one hand, this does suggest that both Glover and NBC are pretty convinced that Community won’t continue beyond this year, which makes me sad. On the other hand, HELL YES. Donald Glover is a ridiculously talented dude, and he deserves to star in his own show (and I am glad he’s planning on sticking with television after Community; I was afraid he might choose to focus on his music or other things once it was done). So hopefully season 4 of Community will get a back order of nine episodes and they’ll do a satisfying finale at the end of it, and then this will get picked up and be just as awesome.

• gambino says:

afraid he’d concentrate on his music? bite your blasphemous tongue! childish gambino is one of my favorite artists…

5. laura says:

I wish he could do both… but I also have many other wishes, like community getting picked up for 9 more eps this season, and for a season 5… sigh community.
    Good on him though, he definitely deserves it! Mega talented guy.

6. Karen says:

Love him. I’m already hooked on the show. That said, He HAS to stay on Community

7. Eliza says:

I would definitely watch because I’m a fan of his…but…the thought of Community really ending make me want to weep. Legit years and all.

8. Abed – Troy = ME – Community!!

9. Melissa says:

I would love to see a Donald Glover show! I love him as an actor and a rapper and a writer so I would definitely tune into a show he writes/produces/is in/whatever. I just hope it wouldn’t conflict with Community

10. April says:

This makes me happy. As much as I love Community, I’m realistic about its future prospects. And just reading the words “potential starring vehicle for Glover” put a loopy smile on my face.

• O'Brien says:

THIS. Community is such a special, weird little gem. I don’t want it to end, but if it must, I think Glover has an incredibly bright future.

11. Scott says:

Yep, looks like Community season 4 is nothing more than a syndication cash-in.

12. Eliza says:

I would definitely watch because I’m a fan of his! And wish Donald much success. But…the thought of Community really ending makes me want to weep. Legit years and all….

13. Aleksa says:

I think most of us are resigned to this being the final season of Community, so I’m happy to hear he might have something lined up.

14. A.J. Simpson says:

Good for Donald. There’s absolutely no downside, since a) Community was already destroyed when Dan Harmon was fired, and b) there’s a precisely 0% chance that the show will get renewed beyond this season anyway.

• Seasononewuzthebest says:

The show was destroyed when Dan Harmon decided it should be meta all the time and then gave what little fans he didn’t chase away with his attempts to be clever a largely unfunny and disapointing Season three.

• TV Gord says:

I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with anything more. Season three was absolutely brilliant! I guess we’re going to have to wait a decade or so before people who didn’t “get it” the first time finally realize it.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

You’ve sure got it right. Community is going to be the new Arrested Development where the majority of its fan base discovers it after its cancellation.

• Lauren says:

Hopefully we’ll get a bonus season in a few years like Arrested Development, if it ends up getting cancelled. Just makes me so sad when rubbish like Two and a Half Men go on forever and gems like Community get cancelled too early. Then again, I don’t have much hope for the new season without Dan Harmon. I hope I’m proved wrong.

• Alan says:

basic lupine urology, pillows and blankets and remedial chaos theory are 3 of the funniest episodes of tv ive ever watched and there where several other episodes up to that standard as well, plus the meta stuff is the only thing stopping it being another generic waste of time so i dont really understand how you could have this point of view

• Josh says:

Ergh I hate when people say this…Community isn’t over. It still has Donald, it still has Joel and Gillian and Alison. It has some of the best writers Community had. Yes. Dan Harmon’s loss is big, but don’t give up on the show. If you really cared about it, you would be giving it a chance and supporting it instead of bitching and moaning about Dan Harmon. The guy was a terrific writer but as anyone who listened to his DVD Commentaries can admit, he is a total ass..

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’ve listened to all the DVD commentaries for all 3 seasons, and I don’t think Dan is an ass, so you’re certainly not speaking for me. The DVD commentaries only make me appreciate Dan and his wonderfully creative mind more. I think the guy is great. I wish I could give him a hug.

• A.J. Simpson says:

I completely understand your point-of-view, but here’s why I don’t share it. 1) It’s entirely possible that Dan Harmon is a total ass. That doesn’t preclude him being a great writer/showrunner, however… there are a lot of total asses that successfully run TV shows. 2) Community (which, by the way, was my favorite TV show until the day Harmon was fired), has always been, first and foremost, the artistic expression of its creator. It’s the TV equivalent of auteurism in film. No one but Woody Allen could make a Woody Allen movie, and no one but Dan Harmon can make a Dan Harmon show… it’s too clearly a reflection of his personal preferences, influences, interests, idiosyncrasies, etc. I don’t wish anyone associated with the show harm — you’re right in saying that they still have some of the best writers on TV, most notably Megan Ganz and Andy Bobrow — but continuing to support it as if nothing happened seems nonsensical to me. It’s rewarding the studio for making a decision that was cynical, short-sighted, and flew in the face of the show’s artistic successes.

• Seasononewuzbetter says:

There are actors on the show who made his scripts work, there are directors who took an ideas he had and made it a reality, there are writers he hired who wrote good episodes–I don’t think it was all Dan Harmon. This sort of fanboy pouting and dismissal of other people’s contributions to the show, which are every bit as important as Dan’s, is ridiculous. If you truly believe Dan’s responsible for every great thing on the show then you should also accept he was responsible for some of the worst things on the show. Im not a blind fanatic who declares every episode was comedy gold, nor do I think that a hand full of good episodes saved the Season Three from being an over the top live action cartoon that retconned canon, had character derailments and was downright silly. It wasn’t “artistic vision” that shaped last year, it was more like desperation of a guy who knew he was going to be fired. Harmon himself admitted that he wrote his Season Three as fanservice fodder for the few remaing devotees who still believed the hype.

• A.J. Simpson says:

Your rebuttal is full of straw man arguments that distort what I was saying. I never said that it was “all Dan Harmon,” nor did I say that Dan was “responsible for every great thing on the show.” Film and television are inherently collaborative mediums, and there are TONS are elements of Community that other people deserve credit for, including lots of fantastic writing, the fleshing out of the characters, comedy bits that were worked out on set, and so on. The actors, directors, and crew of Community all deserve to be lauded for the success of the show. But first and foremost, Community was always Harmon’s vision, from the minute it was conceived through the editorial process of each and every episode, which he oversaw. Saying that the contributions of others to the show are “every bit as important as Dan’s” simply isn’t true, because there wouldn’t even BE a show called Community unless Harmon thought of it and wrote it down (based loosely on his own personal experiences at community college, it should be noted). It’s just like a great film… you can say that a particular actor or actress gave a phenomenal performance, or that the film’s music was terrific, or that it was lit really well, but fundamentally it’s all subordinate to the artistic vision of the director. In television, it’s the showrunner that’s in that position of responsibility. And in terms accepting that he was “responsible for some of the worst things on the show”… absolutely he was. That’s the nature of being an auteur — whatever the result is, you own it, good, bad, or indifferent. I’d just vastly prefer to watch a show that allows a creator to make occasional mistakes than one that lacks any kind of unity of vision, and once Sony fired Harmon, Community became just like most of the other shows on TV in that regard.

• Josh says:

@A.J Simpson: You haven’t even seen an episode yet! You keep talking as if you know what’s going to happen but you don’t. Am I apprehensive about the new Community? Yes. But am I going to go around bashing a show I supposedly am a fan of? Of course not. Are you a fan of Dan Harmon or are you a fan of the show? Despite what you seem to think, they are two different things. Before you dismiss the show, actually watch an episode. See what the actors and writers can do. The setting is still the same, the actors are still the same, and as we said, some of the writers are still the same. We don’t know what’s going to happen until it airs and as a fan of the show, you shouldn’t be trying to get people not to watch. That’s disrespectful to all the actors, writers, and everyone else involved in this show who wasn’t Dan Harmon(and that’s A LOT of people).

Was season 3 my favorite? By no means…I think for a lot of people, including myself, season 3 was a bit too over the top. Does that mean I didn’t like season 3. Not even close. It was one of the best comedies on TV(Parks and Rec edged it out this season by just a hair). And no it wasn’t because of Dan Harmon. It was because of the whole crew.

Would I rather Dan have stayed and Chevy left. YES….but this is what we’re left with. And for one hope Community is just as strong without him because I’m definitely not going to hope that a show I love is subpar.

• squander lust says:

tl:dr x 5
        It’s a comment section people. Not a petite essay contest.

15. dean says:

I’d love to watch a show of his!

16. Lili says:

Matt Hubbard wrote my favorite episodes of 30 Rock. Loved, loved, loved “Anna Howard Shaw Day” and “Reunion”. I’m .really looking forward to this

17. Marty says:

I love how much love he is getting from the fans, regardless of whether he stays on the show or not. I’ve seen a couple of episodes of Community, but I know him well as Childish Gambino. I’d love to see more info about this project.

18. Susan says:

YES! I’d be sad if he didn’t go through with it. Let’s face it- Dan Harmon WAS Community and the show can only stay at it’s current calibre without him for a limited time. Let’s see season four, and if it’s a train wreck, let it go.

19. cjeffery7 says:

well its hard to say how much more time Community has, so this is probably a way of getting ready for the inevitable, though i certainly hope Community doesn’t get as unceremonious an ax as its former show runner did.

20. CJ says:

ZOMG YES PLEEEEEEASE

21. Alan says:

im fairly certain nbc only renewed the show so it could be given a proper ending, they did the exact same thing for chuck, so donald getting another show so quickly is fine by me because he has incredible comic timing. hopefully the rest of the greendale 7 can show up as guest stars every now and then

• Chad says:

NBC gave “Chuck” the last season seemingly mostly for syndication purposes and it seems they’re doing the same for “Community”. There was a time when, “Chuck” was one of my favorite shows, truth be told though, I quit watching at the end of season three, I caught onto “Community” around episode 13 of season 1. It was something quite different and had me laughing nonstop, I’ve been hooked ever since. While I am said that this seems to be the end of the road I’m just glad they’ve been given the chance (for whatever reason) to more then likely give a proper ending. Plus, they still can go out on top of their game instead of going on and on while the quality suffers (i.e. “Supernatural”). I want to point out I still love “Supernatural” and remain a faithful watcher but i wish it had ended with season 5.

*Topic at hand* I’m glad Donald Glover is getting his own show. Super talented and I’m sure I’ll tune in to see what he does.

22. Angela says:

I’d certainly be curious to see how a show with him would go.
    And thanks for nearly giving me a scare at the thought of him leaving “Community” altogether. Like noted, this is probably a bad sign for the future of “Community” if we’ve already got people looking to branch off to other projects, but I am happy to hear he’s committed to the show as long as it does last, and I wish him luck with his new show.

23. intelligentdebaucheries says:

I totally knew this was gonna happen one day. Donald is just so talented. I hope the pilot might have to do with a foster care home. He grew up with a lot of brothers and sisters in a foster home because his parents were foster parents. He has funny stories if you’ve watched his standup.

24. I would still watch Community without Troy if the show somehow made it past this season (and if this season isn’t completely terrible because of the absence of Dan Harmon) but that would be a devastating blow to the ensemble.

25. Blorgon says:

If NBC is so enamored of him, maybe Donald Glover will create a show that is like Community, but actually exactly the same as Community, starring the cast of Community. And NBC will put one ounce of effort toward it, and people will watch it.

26. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m already terrified for season 4 of Community after hearing a rumor they were doing a spoof of The Hunger Games for the premiere. I hope that rumor is untrue. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think Dan would have bothered with spoofing young adult fiction, and if he had, it would have been something way more interesting, like a Judy Blume novel.
    But anyhoo, I got distracted with a Community tangent when I meant to talk about Donald. This is great news for him, I hope it works out. The guy is crazy talented, as I think we all know. I just wish he wasn’t pinning all his hopes and dreams on NBC. I wish they were shopping this to better, more deserving networks.

27. murley says:

such mixed feelings. love community and troy is my favorite character. but troy is my favorite because donald glover is so ridiculously hilarious and talented. obviously in a perfect world community would get its 6 seasons and a movie and THEN donald would go on to write and star in his undoubtedly awesome show. in reality i will just happily watch anything he is a part of.

28. toby says:

no dont kill the study group! troy+abed forever!