Report: Common Law Unlikely to Return, Political Animals and Two Other USA Shows on Bubble

Common Lawmen Wes and Travis may have cracked their last case, Kate Reed may have negotiated her last peace and Dr. Dani may have shrunk her last superstar, as a total of four USA Network series lay in limbo, awaiting word on renewal or (gulp) the other thing.

RELATED | Royal Pains Scoop: Buffy Alum Emma Caulfield Gets Ex-y!

Deadline reports that Common Law, which wrapped its freshman run a month ago, is unlikely to cop a Season 2 pick-up, seeing as USA has let its options on the actors’ contracts lapse. Plus, showrunner Craig Sweeny recently boarded CBS’ Elementary as an exec producer, though in theory he could return to Common Law if it’s renewed.

Also on the bubble with what our sister site says is a “50/50″ chance of renewal are Necessary Roughness, which recently aired mid-Season 2 finale, and Fairly Legal, which just barely earned the second season it wrapped in June.

RELATED | Political Animals: Could Buzz Offset Soft Ratings and Beget a Season 2? And With the Same Cast?

Meanwhile, Political Animals — despite delivering a star-studded summertime crowd-pleaser, and in fact has always been a candidate for renewal — failed to garner many votes from Nielsen viewers as it faced off against the likes of Breaking Bad, HBO’s buzzy Newsroom and A&E’s formidable freshman Longmire. So its fate, too, is uncertain, though there is hope that the undeniable cachet it brought to USA could eke out a benevolent Season 2 order.

(Psych, which still has Season 7 to premiere later this year, is not considered on the bubble at this time.)

1. Tiera says:

Hopefully the TV Gods spare Common Law!! I thought it was a great show and I was a faithful watcher ever week. I loved the concept and the relationship between Wes and Travis, especially when in therapy. Come on USA give ‘em a chance.

2. Andrea says:

I didn’t watch Political Animals during its run, but I hope to catch it. I took “limited” to mean number of episodes per season. It’s limited in that its season is shorter (6 episodes) vs. 14-16 per other USA shows. Unnecessary Roughness and Common Law can both go. I like Callie Thorne, but not in that role, and Common Law had Michael Ealy. Wasn’t a fan of his work on The Good Wife. I’m not familiar with Fairly Legal.

3. AT says:

Well that’s a shame… I like all those shows to some level. Common Law, Necessary Roughness, Fairly Legal, Political Animals is how I rank ‘em. I’m apparently one of the few who liked Ben on Fairly Legal, partially because I wanted Michael Trucco off this show and back onto HIMYM. Common Law was great. It was kinda funny going back and seeing the re-release of The Avengers and seeing Wes as a SHIELD agent.

I can take or leave Political Animals honestly. The “twists” were hardly surprising, but I liked the cast. I’d rather have Sebastian Stan on OUAT over this show. I love him as the Mad Hatter.

4. Karen says:

I love USA shows. They have great actors of every persuasion, good story lines, and a lot of heart. I will be sad to see any of these shows cancelled. And I really think Fairly Legal deserves another shot. The actress who plays Kate Reid is breathtaking.

5. JC says:

Awww, too bad about Common Law. It’s the only new show of theirs I’ve liked in recent history (there was a time when I was watching almost all of their shows). I too think they didn’t give it a fair chance – if they’d launched it during the week behind one of their existing hits like they’ve done with a lot of their new shows I think it would have had a much better chance. For some reason I’ve gotten the feeling USA was always iffy on this show. It was originally scheduled to premiere in January, but then they backed off and premiered it in May on Fridays with a struggling lead in. I’m not surprised it didn’t do well.

As far as Fairly Legal is concerned, all I have to say is that I hope Sarah Shahi can get on a better show now. I love the actress, but I couldn’t stand that show.

• Jamea T says:

It hasn’t been clarified as of yet what has been cancelled. So there is still hope for Common Law! :)
      Keep voting and signing the petitions when you can!!

6. Callie says:

Ugh. Im disappointed. Necessary roughness, common law and political animals are well written, smart, fun shows. I think they’d go nicely w covert affairs, white collar. And suits. I’ve never been a USA network fan but the quality of the shows have been incredible. Don’t mess it up now!

7. Kristin Cook says:

NOOOOOO! I love Common Law. It’s so funny and awesome. All my fav shows always get canceled.

8. Georgina says:

I need a second season of Political Animals! I loved the show!!

9. M says:

What the hell is up with Sophie’s Choice here?! I want them all. I adore everything USA has aired.

10. I never understood why Political Animals never caught on. Maybe it was the tough timeslot and ppl don’t associate USA with real dramas but the show and the cast were beyond incredible. Here’s hoping it comes back!

11. Elle says:

Whaaat? I really love all those shows. I think that USA really has some good shows which are true to their motto “characters welcome”. Haven’t come around yet to watch political animals but since I watch all the other USA shows I was sure it must be a hit as well.
    I knew that Fairly Legal was on the bubble, though I thought the addition of Ryan Johnson aka Ben Grogan was boosting the whole show a lot.
    I didn’t even think about Common Law being on the bubble though. The show is just too good to be true, I was sure it would get the renewal at once!!

12. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

I tried watching Necessary Roughness but found the lead character and her mother jarring. I’ve never watched any of the other shows, but I’m just happy to see that neither Suits nor Royal Pains is on the bubble.

I used to watch Burn Notice but gave up on it half-way through this season. I’m really looking forward to the new season of Psych though.

13. Linda says:

I WANT MY WES & TRAVIS BACK!

14. Lucy says:

I didn’t watch more than the pilot of “Common Law”, which bored and irritated me in equal measure, so I think that’s a good one to dump. I’ve never watched “Fairly Legal” so I won’t miss that. I would, however, very much miss “Necessary Roughness” and would love a second season of “Political Animals”.

15. danoregon says:

Of the four, I’m probably most disappointed about Common Law, if only because I think they really found the right tone in the last half of the season.
    I like Fairly Legal (mainly Sarah Shahi – the new guy just didn’t work for me), and I enjoyed the others, but do get a sense that the shows are kind of spinning their wheels.
    If I only got one though, I’d want to watch a second season of Political Animals, if only to see Dylan Baker and Sigourney Weaver go toe-to-toe.

16. Ming says:

They must renew Political Animals and return with the amazing cast. It’s the best show on TV!

17. Jinjeon says:

If USA wants awards attention then they need to renew Political Animals. Sigourney Weaver has already locked up Drama Golden Globe. With renewing the show she might take SAG as well. And we all know USA wants some critical acclaim after all. Renew Political Animals.

18. Linda says:

Darn almost forgot Psych! I like that too, so its not just White Collar!

19. Sasha says:

Thank god other people hate Fairly Legal too. That show sucks. I love all of the other shows though–I would hate to see Nec Roughness or Common Law go!

20. Sasha says:

USA, get Baron Vaughn on another show and get rid of Fairly Legal!

21. Unguibus says:

All I ask of TPTB at USA is to never, ever touch White Collar. This is the only show I follow closely PERIOD.

22. downsidebob says:

COM
    ON LAW IS A MUST
    REALLY DIFFERENT
    GREAT CAST

23. sarah says:

I will be upset if Necessary Roughness is cancelled…love the show. Usa please don’t ever think of cancelling Suits or Covert Affairs or White Collar..

24. GeoDiva says:

I like them all. If I had to choose one that you drop off, it would be Fairly Legal. Kate was really getting on my nerves with her back and forth between Justin and Ben.

25. Steph says:

Political Animals is the only show in the bunch I don’t watch. But I love “Necessary Roughness” (especially TK)!!

Stations in general just don’t give shows a chance anymore… At least give the fans who have invested in them a resolution.

26. Rain says:

Well this just ruined my good mood! Common Law was my favorite summer show and total appointment viewing. I never watch shows live on Friday and yet did so quite a number of times for Common Law because I just couldn’t wait to see what those 2 would get up to next. If Fairly Legal got a second chance, they have to give one to Common Law! They also need to promote it better, I almost skipped it because the promos before it began made it look so stupid.

27. jazzhound says:

Political Animals MUST get renewed! My god, USA has an all-star cast lined up and just waiting to rake in the Awards. Political Animals is such a powerful and riveting story, and I can’t think of a better crafted show on television right now (and especially on USA)!

28. Sean says:

I’m hoping for another season of Political Animals… well acted & great writing, I just wish the season was a little longer. It felt like the show was just starting to get hot & the season ended… it should be given another shot!

29. Matthew C says:

I LOVE Fairly Legal! hope it comes back. Common Law is just ok.

30. nick1372 says:

My bets:

Common Law: 50%
    Fairly Legal: 55%
    Nessecary Roughness: 45%
    Political Animals: 10%

Common Law and Fairly Legal are a different ball game than the rest because they’re on Friday. I give FL the edge because it’s a veteran, and it has done better before. NR is doing the same ratings as the Friday shows. CANCELED. PA got the worst ratings USA has seen in like forever, and it’s probably more expensive than the other stuff on USA.

31. Ashley says:

I love “Common Law” and they HAVE to renew “Necessary Roughness”!

32. donna says:

Give common law a chance. The group therapy is funny. I love this show. Necessary roughness has too many story lines. Cut the kids, the pregnant friend, the ex, cut back on romatic line & focus on team & other patients. I thought political animals was great. I normally dont watch political based dramas but i liked the story lines…very ripped from headlines. Fairly legal i hv not watched this season. If i had to sacifice one of the four…..

33. Mari says:

They can’t cancel Common Law. It’s a show that has one of the most beautiful friendships ever portrayed on a TVshow, even though you find that out in the last episode.
    And there’s so much more they can do whit that series.
    Please don’t cancel common law, please.

34. Patti says:

I love Psych.

35. Kath says:

I hope Political Animals gets renewed. It’s a good show and, unusually, has a great bunch of strong women characters and actors.

The problem with Fairly Legal in season 1 was Kate’s immaturity. Bringing in Ben as a equally immature love interest hurt the show a lot. They should have let Kate grow up instead.

I think triangles hurt shows more than they help. It annoys some people and weakens the overall writing. The same thing problem to Necessary Roughness with the emphasis on Dani’s lovelife and the triangle with Nico.

36. Leo says:

Common Law did not get to me, the other 3 I like. But Political Animals was so much less than it could be so I don’t know if would miss it that much.

37. downsidebob says:

Common law rocks
    PSYCH SUCKS

38. joterri says:

TK!!!!!!! DANI!!!!!!!!NICO!!!!!!!!

39. Ben says:

I thought that Political Animals had a strong first run and would love to see it come back. As for Fairly Legal, I thought this season was terrible. The stories and the characters showed no growth.

40. Liz says:

Nooo…. Not Fairly Legal and Common Law!! I just started watching those shows, and was thoroughly enjoying them. Blast it. USA come to your senses!!!!

41. mia says:

Political Animals NEEDS to get a second season. If not for us fans, than for USA’s prestige; everyone knows that show is going to get some Emmy noms.
    Please please please usa

42. Rachel says:

I’m really surprised that Necessary Roughness and Common Law are on this list! I love those shows so much, and I’ll be really upset if they don’t come back. So many USA shows seem to be allowed to go on long after interest wanes, but not these gems? Interesting. I would hope they’d be given a final run like In Plain Sight was.

43. caliiangel says:

I will be so sad if Fairly Legal doesn’t return. :( I love that show. Season two was great and got me completely hooked. Please bring it back USA!!!

44. Shaun says:

I just wish USA would switch it up….all their shows are the kinds of stuff Tweens would watch.Get some more dramatic shows and step it up!!

• jazzhound says:

That’s precisely why Political Animals should get renewed! It’s edgy and much different from their typical bright shows…Political Animals is Awards gold and if given some more time to find an audience, will be a money for USA down the road.

45. magicka says:

I love Fairly Legal, I’d love to see a new season!

46. Steph says:

Keep them all!!! I am so hooked on these shows, I want them all to continue. C’mon USA your network has the most shows I watch.

47. Ash says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring FAIRLY LEGAL back!! It’s the best show!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see what happens next!!! I watch it weekly online because it isn’t in Australia yet!!!! Please! It’s so good and the actors are so great to watch!!!!! Xx

48. Tia says:

I love both Fairly Legal and Necessary Roughness. I will be surprised if Fairly Legal gets dropped since CBS has a similar show coming out: Jersey Girl and we all know USA’s original will be better than any copycat.

While Necessary Roughness started their season slow, it dealt with real issues. I enjoyed that TK took the path of percription drug abuse and the downward spirial it takes. On a lighter note, I can’t wait for the winter season and the fallout from The Kiss (Love me some Nico) and the loss.

49. Kristen says:

I would miss all but Political Animals. USA has the best shows. The acting on all is great, they are fun to watch and all around good shows to watch and def need to be brought back. Otherwise USA may lose a viewer.