Report: Common Law Unlikely to Return, Political Animals and Two Other USA Shows on Bubble

Get More: Cancellations, Renewals

Common Lawmen Wes and Travis may have cracked their last case, Kate Reed may have negotiated her last peace and Dr. Dani may have shrunk her last superstar, as a total of four USA Network series lay in limbo, awaiting word on renewal or (gulp) the other thing.

RELATED | Royal Pains Scoop: Buffy Alum Emma Caulfield Gets Ex-y!

Deadline reports that Common Law, which wrapped its freshman run a month ago, is unlikely to cop a Season 2 pick-up, seeing as USA has let its options on the actors’ contracts lapse. Plus, showrunner Craig Sweeny recently boarded CBS’ Elementary as an exec producer, though in theory he could return to Common Law if it’s renewed.

Also on the bubble with what our sister site says is a “50/50″ chance of renewal are Necessary Roughness, which recently aired mid-Season 2 finale, and Fairly Legal, which just barely earned the second season it wrapped in June.

RELATED | Political Animals: Could Buzz Offset Soft Ratings and Beget a Season 2? And With the Same Cast?

Meanwhile, Political Animals — despite delivering a star-studded summertime crowd-pleaser, and in fact has always been a candidate for renewal — failed to garner many votes from Nielsen viewers as it faced off against the likes of Breaking Bad, HBO’s buzzy Newsroom and A&E’s formidable freshman Longmire. So its fate, too, is uncertain, though there is hope that the undeniable cachet it brought to USA could eke out a benevolent Season 2 order.

(Psych, which still has Season 7 to premiere later this year, is not considered on the bubble at this time.)

Comments (232)

• Hopefully the TV Gods spare Common Law!! I thought it was a great show and I was a faithful watcher ever week. I loved the concept and the relationship between Wes and Travis, especially when in therapy. Come on USA give ‘em a chance.

Comment by Tiera – September 12, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch Political Animals during its run, but I hope to catch it. I took “limited” to mean number of episodes per season. It’s limited in that its season is shorter (6 episodes) vs. 14-16 per other USA shows. Unnecessary Roughness and Common Law can both go. I like Callie Thorne, but not in that role, and Common Law had Michael Ealy. Wasn’t a fan of his work on The Good Wife. I’m not familiar with Fairly Legal.

Comment by Andrea – September 12, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that’s a shame… I like all those shows to some level. Common Law, Necessary Roughness, Fairly Legal, Political Animals is how I rank ‘em. I’m apparently one of the few who liked Ben on Fairly Legal, partially because I wanted Michael Trucco off this show and back onto HIMYM. Common Law was great. It was kinda funny going back and seeing the re-release of The Avengers and seeing Wes as a SHIELD agent.

I can take or leave Political Animals honestly. The “twists” were hardly surprising, but I liked the cast. I’d rather have Sebastian Stan on OUAT over this show. I love him as the Mad Hatter.

Comment by AT – September 12, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love USA shows. They have great actors of every persuasion, good story lines, and a lot of heart. I will be sad to see any of these shows cancelled. And I really think Fairly Legal deserves another shot. The actress who plays Kate Reid is breathtaking.

Comment by Karen – September 12, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww, too bad about Common Law. It’s the only new show of theirs I’ve liked in recent history (there was a time when I was watching almost all of their shows). I too think they didn’t give it a fair chance – if they’d launched it during the week behind one of their existing hits like they’ve done with a lot of their new shows I think it would have had a much better chance. For some reason I’ve gotten the feeling USA was always iffy on this show. It was originally scheduled to premiere in January, but then they backed off and premiered it in May on Fridays with a struggling lead in. I’m not surprised it didn’t do well.

As far as Fairly Legal is concerned, all I have to say is that I hope Sarah Shahi can get on a better show now. I love the actress, but I couldn’t stand that show.

Comment by JC – September 12, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It hasn’t been clarified as of yet what has been cancelled. So there is still hope for Common Law! :)
      Keep voting and signing the petitions when you can!!

Comment by Jamea T – October 17, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Im disappointed. Necessary roughness, common law and political animals are well written, smart, fun shows. I think they’d go nicely w covert affairs, white collar. And suits. I’ve never been a USA network fan but the quality of the shows have been incredible. Don’t mess it up now!

Comment by Callie – September 12, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOO! I love Common Law. It’s so funny and awesome. All my fav shows always get canceled.

Comment by Kristin Cook – September 12, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know right….they reel you in with all these good shows then you are hooked and BAM they’re gone!

Comment by Kristen – September 13, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need a second season of Political Animals! I loved the show!!

Comment by Georgina – September 12, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell is up with Sophie’s Choice here?! I want them all. I adore everything USA has aired.

Comment by M – September 12, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never understood why Political Animals never caught on. Maybe it was the tough timeslot and ppl don’t associate USA with real dramas but the show and the cast were beyond incredible. Here’s hoping it comes back!

Comment by Sandra Oh (@TheRealSandraOh) – September 12, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whaaat? I really love all those shows. I think that USA really has some good shows which are true to their motto “characters welcome”. Haven’t come around yet to watch political animals but since I watch all the other USA shows I was sure it must be a hit as well.
    I knew that Fairly Legal was on the bubble, though I thought the addition of Ryan Johnson aka Ben Grogan was boosting the whole show a lot.
    I didn’t even think about Common Law being on the bubble though. The show is just too good to be true, I was sure it would get the renewal at once!!

Comment by Elle – September 12, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tried watching Necessary Roughness but found the lead character and her mother jarring. I’ve never watched any of the other shows, but I’m just happy to see that neither Suits nor Royal Pains is on the bubble.

I used to watch Burn Notice but gave up on it half-way through this season. I’m really looking forward to the new season of Psych though.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – September 12, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT MY WES & TRAVIS BACK!

Comment by Linda – September 12, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch more than the pilot of “Common Law”, which bored and irritated me in equal measure, so I think that’s a good one to dump. I’ve never watched “Fairly Legal” so I won’t miss that. I would, however, very much miss “Necessary Roughness” and would love a second season of “Political Animals”.

Comment by Lucy – September 12, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of the four, I’m probably most disappointed about Common Law, if only because I think they really found the right tone in the last half of the season.
    I like Fairly Legal (mainly Sarah Shahi – the new guy just didn’t work for me), and I enjoyed the others, but do get a sense that the shows are kind of spinning their wheels.
    If I only got one though, I’d want to watch a second season of Political Animals, if only to see Dylan Baker and Sigourney Weaver go toe-to-toe.

Comment by danoregon – September 12, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They must renew Political Animals and return with the amazing cast. It’s the best show on TV!

Comment by Ming – September 12, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If USA wants awards attention then they need to renew Political Animals. Sigourney Weaver has already locked up Drama Golden Globe. With renewing the show she might take SAG as well. And we all know USA wants some critical acclaim after all. Renew Political Animals.

Comment by Jinjeon – September 12, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn almost forgot Psych! I like that too, so its not just White Collar!

Comment by Linda – September 12, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank god other people hate Fairly Legal too. That show sucks. I love all of the other shows though–I would hate to see Nec Roughness or Common Law go!

Comment by Sasha – September 12, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • USA, get Baron Vaughn on another show and get rid of Fairly Legal!

Comment by Sasha – September 12, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I ask of TPTB at USA is to never, ever touch White Collar. This is the only show I follow closely PERIOD.

Comment by Unguibus – September 12, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COM
    ON LAW IS A MUST
    REALLY DIFFERENT
    GREAT CAST

Comment by downsidebob – September 12, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be upset if Necessary Roughness is cancelled…love the show. Usa please don’t ever think of cancelling Suits or Covert Affairs or White Collar..

Comment by sarah – September 12, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like them all. If I had to choose one that you drop off, it would be Fairly Legal. Kate was really getting on my nerves with her back and forth between Justin and Ben.

Comment by GeoDiva – September 12, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Political Animals is the only show in the bunch I don’t watch. But I love “Necessary Roughness” (especially TK)!!

Stations in general just don’t give shows a chance anymore… At least give the fans who have invested in them a resolution.

Comment by Steph – September 12, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this just ruined my good mood! Common Law was my favorite summer show and total appointment viewing. I never watch shows live on Friday and yet did so quite a number of times for Common Law because I just couldn’t wait to see what those 2 would get up to next. If Fairly Legal got a second chance, they have to give one to Common Law! They also need to promote it better, I almost skipped it because the promos before it began made it look so stupid.

Comment by Rain – September 12, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Political Animals MUST get renewed! My god, USA has an all-star cast lined up and just waiting to rake in the Awards. Political Animals is such a powerful and riveting story, and I can’t think of a better crafted show on television right now (and especially on USA)!

Comment by jazzhound – September 12, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping for another season of Political Animals… well acted & great writing, I just wish the season was a little longer. It felt like the show was just starting to get hot & the season ended… it should be given another shot!

Comment by Sean – September 12, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Fairly Legal! hope it comes back. Common Law is just ok.

Comment by Matthew C – September 12, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bets:

Common Law: 50%
    Fairly Legal: 55%
    Nessecary Roughness: 45%
    Political Animals: 10%

Common Law and Fairly Legal are a different ball game than the rest because they’re on Friday. I give FL the edge because it’s a veteran, and it has done better before. NR is doing the same ratings as the Friday shows. CANCELED. PA got the worst ratings USA has seen in like forever, and it’s probably more expensive than the other stuff on USA.

Comment by nick1372 – September 12, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love “Common Law” and they HAVE to renew “Necessary Roughness”!

Comment by Ashley – September 12, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give common law a chance. The group therapy is funny. I love this show. Necessary roughness has too many story lines. Cut the kids, the pregnant friend, the ex, cut back on romatic line & focus on team & other patients. I thought political animals was great. I normally dont watch political based dramas but i liked the story lines…very ripped from headlines. Fairly legal i hv not watched this season. If i had to sacifice one of the four…..

Comment by donna – September 12, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can’t cancel Common Law. It’s a show that has one of the most beautiful friendships ever portrayed on a TVshow, even though you find that out in the last episode.
    And there’s so much more they can do whit that series.
    Please don’t cancel common law, please.

Comment by Mari – September 12, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Psych.

Comment by Patti – September 12, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PSYCH SUCKS

Comment by downsidebob – September 12, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Psych is great!!

Comment by Hope – September 13, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Political Animals gets renewed. It’s a good show and, unusually, has a great bunch of strong women characters and actors.

The problem with Fairly Legal in season 1 was Kate’s immaturity. Bringing in Ben as a equally immature love interest hurt the show a lot. They should have let Kate grow up instead.

I think triangles hurt shows more than they help. It annoys some people and weakens the overall writing. The same thing problem to Necessary Roughness with the emphasis on Dani’s lovelife and the triangle with Nico.

Comment by Kath – September 12, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Common Law did not get to me, the other 3 I like. But Political Animals was so much less than it could be so I don’t know if would miss it that much.

Comment by Leo – September 12, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Common law rocks
    PSYCH SUCKS

Comment by downsidebob – September 12, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TK!!!!!!! DANI!!!!!!!!NICO!!!!!!!!

Comment by joterri – September 12, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought that Political Animals had a strong first run and would love to see it come back. As for Fairly Legal, I thought this season was terrible. The stories and the characters showed no growth.

Comment by Ben – September 12, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo…. Not Fairly Legal and Common Law!! I just started watching those shows, and was thoroughly enjoying them. Blast it. USA come to your senses!!!!

Comment by Liz – September 12, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Political Animals NEEDS to get a second season. If not for us fans, than for USA’s prestige; everyone knows that show is going to get some Emmy noms.
    Please please please usa

Comment by mia – September 12, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really surprised that Necessary Roughness and Common Law are on this list! I love those shows so much, and I’ll be really upset if they don’t come back. So many USA shows seem to be allowed to go on long after interest wanes, but not these gems? Interesting. I would hope they’d be given a final run like In Plain Sight was.

Comment by Rachel – September 12, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be so sad if Fairly Legal doesn’t return. :( I love that show. Season two was great and got me completely hooked. Please bring it back USA!!!

Comment by caliiangel – September 12, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish USA would switch it up….all their shows are the kinds of stuff Tweens would watch.Get some more dramatic shows and step it up!!

Comment by Shaun – September 12, 2012 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s precisely why Political Animals should get renewed! It’s edgy and much different from their typical bright shows…Political Animals is Awards gold and if given some more time to find an audience, will be a money for USA down the road.

Comment by jazzhound – September 13, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks

Comment by Ann – September 12, 2012 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Fairly Legal, I’d love to see a new season!

Comment by magicka – September 12, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keep them all!!! I am so hooked on these shows, I want them all to continue. C’mon USA your network has the most shows I watch.

Comment by Steph – September 13, 2012 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring FAIRLY LEGAL back!! It’s the best show!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see what happens next!!! I watch it weekly online because it isn’t in Australia yet!!!! Please! It’s so good and the actors are so great to watch!!!!! Xx

Comment by Ash – September 13, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both Fairly Legal and Necessary Roughness. I will be surprised if Fairly Legal gets dropped since CBS has a similar show coming out: Jersey Girl and we all know USA’s original will be better than any copycat.

While Necessary Roughness started their season slow, it dealt with real issues. I enjoyed that TK took the path of percription drug abuse and the downward spirial it takes. On a lighter note, I can’t wait for the winter season and the fallout from The Kiss (Love me some Nico) and the loss.

Comment by Tia – September 13, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would miss all but Political Animals. USA has the best shows. The acting on all is great, they are fun to watch and all around good shows to watch and def need to be brought back. Otherwise USA may lose a viewer.

Comment by Kristen – September 13, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post