Sons of Anarchy Cast, Creator Preview 'Crazier, Stronger and Much More Intense' Season 5

Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Season 5To the Sons of Anarchy fans who gasped for air at every turn during an incredibly intense Season 4: Brace yourselves, because things are not about to let up in Season 5. “You’ve had eight months to breathe,” Katey Sagal warns with a laugh.

SAMCRO rolls back into town tonight at 10/9c, and according to the FX hit’s stars and producers, the biker drama has accomplished the seemingly impossible task of upping the ante — and increasing the breathtaking — tenfold.

“This season is even crazier than the last,” executive producer Paris Barclay tells TVLine. “It’s stronger and it’s much more intense. I thought the last season was as intense as [creator] Kurt [Sutter] and our writers could make it… Not so. They’ve topped it.”

Asked to elaborate on how any future episode of Sons could possibly pack as much punch as, say, the Season 4 jaw-clencher “Hands,” a coy Barclay only notes that this year is “going to make you nuts… They twist the knife further with each episode.”

PHOTOS | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of Sons of Anarchy — Plus 45 Other Shows!

For Sutter, however, breaking the gritty series’ fifth cycle of episodes was never about “topping” anything. “Each season the mythology gets deeper, the circumstances get more intense, the stakes get higher and the relationships more strained,” he shares. “I didn’t come into Season 5 thinking, ‘How can I top Season 4?’ I came into it and all this s–t from the last four seasons… it’s just all there. It’s the nature of the storytelling and the characters we’ve developed.”

Here, Sutter and his cast reveal what specifically awaits fans in Season 5.

NERO, THE HERO? | Jimmy Smits‘ character, Nero Padilla, is introduced almost immediately (and memorably) in the premiere, and soon enough finds a place in Gemma’s orbit (if not her heart). Is such a warm welcome warranted? “I mean, the character’s name is Nero, if that’s any indication of what might come down the line,” the Dexter alum jokes, alluding to the notorious Roman emperor. That said, the escort agency manager does mean well — at least initially. “This guy has led a life that’s been rough. He’s seen the dark side, and he has what he perceives to be an exit strategy about how to better himself… It’s warped, but it is an exit strategy no less. And the fact that Nero seemingly has this plan is attractive to Jax.” Adds Sagal, “Gemma and Nero have a kindred connection — even though they meet through a drunken social interaction. These [people are] very instinctive, and Gemma is all about her instinct. So, if she feels that he’s OK, she trusts that.”

NOT-SO-BIG BAD | Damon Pope (portrayed by Harold Perrineau), meanwhile, comes on the Sons scene with a very clear objective: to hurt Tig — who unwittingly killed the crime boss’ daughter during an outburst of (misplaced) vengeance — and, presumably, the entire club. “He’s more than dangerous,” the Lost vet tells us of his eerily composed alter ego. “If he’s on your side, it’s a great thing. If he’s not, it’s bad news.” Perrineau, though, is reluctant to label Pope as Season 5’s mega-villain. “The whole Big Bad thing… there is a change that eventually happens,” he muses. “I don’t know if it’s in the man, but [it is] in the relationship [with the Sons]. It’s really interesting, when and how it happens.”

UNLIKELY DUO | A cast-out Clay and a guilt-riddled Juice will find an unlikely kinship. “Juice has always wanted a father,” Theo Rossi explains, “and these are two guys who are on an island. They’ve been separated and alone, and they come together.” And then they all lived happily ever after, right? It depends on your interpretation of this tease, courtesy of the actor: “What occurs from that [relationship] is just so crazy.”

Hit the comments with your thoughts on the new season of Sons of Anarchy!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Interviews, Previews

1. Kelli says:

Looking forward to seeing how all these relationships progress (especially Gemma/Nero).

2. Mina says:

I’m more interested in this Clay/Juice development than the guest stars. Poor, impressionable, obsequious Juice will be lucky to make it through this season without a hole in the head/chest/brake line.

3. June says:

Tonite season premier was awesome. Sons will absolutely win hands down any awards that they are in for. Kurt Sutter is a brilliant writer & the cast is amazing. I have all 4 seasons on DVD. I love to meet some of the cast & crew if I knew where may be doing a new conference. I am retired & buying a Harley Tryke. Some say I should have tried out for the show. Anyway, well done Kurt & cast.

• Jeanne Gadd says:

I messed up! I thought the premiere was the 18th!! Now I’m going to have to wait till tomorrow night to watch 2nd one and the 1st one after!!! I never watched it till a couple of wks ago, my son had the 3 seasons on dvd. Needless to say I’m hooked!!

• Kaitlyn says:

Go to the website cokeandpopcorn.com! They have all the seasons and shows there for SOA and the new ones go up minutes after it shows!

4. June says:

Kurt, you did not disappoint me, it was awesome. This group of men bring a lot to the table this year. I like the new ones, now seeing Jimmie Smits in it I see some bad moon rising.

5. John says:

INCREDIBLE/INTENSE/HORRIFIYING/FUNNY/GRIPPING & JUST F’N AMAZING ! The show has it ALL. Sutter(Kurt) is a GENIUS. Bottom Line I LOVE THIS IMPACTFUL & INTELLIGENT SHOW !! ~SOA 4LIFE~

6. In my 67 years, I’ve thought there were only two TRULY outstanding TV dramas: Sopranos and Deadwood. The Holy Trinity is now complete with Sons of Anarchy. I would have put Breaking Bad in there but as great as THAT is, SOA trumps it beyond any doubt!

7. Anna says:

I agree, Breaking Bad WAS my favorite show for a long time but then it started to drop of in season 3. Season 4 wasn’t much better but I soldiered on and have stuck with it through every episode up until now because I loved it so much in the beginniy. After being introduced to SOA this year i have a new favorite. Hands down it is so much better than any other series before it or currently! It NEVER disappoints, the actors are fantastic and the writers are extremely good at what they do. I doubt there will ever be a show as good in the future.

8. Anna says:

I agree, SOA has knocked Breaking Bad out of my “favorite television series” spot! Hands down it is better than any series that came before, any that are currently on and I highly doubt there will ever be a series that tops it in the future! Son’s NEVER disappoints, the actors are all fantastic and the writers are amazing at what they do. I hope there are many more seasons to come! Phenomenal job Kurt!

9. Anna says:

P.s. My phone messed up on me and I didn’t think my previous comment posted so now there are 2 lol sorry!

10. Joan caciopoli says:

SOA was absolutely the best have ever seen. Action packed on the edge of your seat friggin amazing. I wish they lived in ct. This show pulls you in its amazing. Kurt Sutter your awesome. Please don’t ever stop writing this show.

11. monster says:

I’ve lived this lifestyle. Sons brings it to life in a way no other could.

12. Carrie says:

It really does not matter who Juice befriends (i.e. Clay) He still ratted out the club to the Feds. He deserves to be kicked out of the SOA, or worse!

13. Hesston says:

What did chibs say in his blessing at the wedding

14. Melissa Annette Mills Goodman says:

I have only watch my first show 2 weeks ago. When they went to jail an Opi was killed in jail!!! I’m so hooked now! But I’m poor and can’t afford to buy the past years of shows!!! Maybe you can get them to me on a payment plan!!!! Or something. Just help me get them!

• Dora says:

Melissa, you cannot be that poor not to be able to sign up netflix for $8.00 a month and you can see it from the start… or go to ebay you can buy them for fairly cheap and sure all season is a keeper

15. There’s going to be more empty chairs at the table. I predict this season will end with Clay gone. And perhaps even Juice. Clay is so evil. I can’t get enough of this show. And how about that sad symmetry of burying Obie while in real life they buried Johnny?

16. courtney says:

Love the show! Makes u feel like u r in the show. It leaves u hanging on til next time. It rocks!

17. Piece of writing writing is also a excitement, if you know then you can write or else it is complicated to write.

18. Max Detox says:

When some one searches for his vital thing, therefore he/she wants to be available
    that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.

19. 外燴 says:

Excellent excited synthetic eyesight intended for fine detail and can foresee difficulties prior
    to they occur.