Ratings: Katie Bows Big, Equals Best Talk Show Debut In 10 Years

Katie Couric Jessica SimpsonKatie Couric‘s new syndicated gabfest got off to a strong start in the ratings Monday.

According to preliminary data, Katie‘s 2.8 household rating equals the best talk show debut in the last decade (going back to Dr. Phil in September 2002).

Additionally, ABC’s numbers crunchers noted that the premiere of Katie beat the debut telecasts of Steve Harvey by 87 percent, The Jeff Probst Show by 150 percent and The Ricki Lake Show by 250 percent.

Did you watch Katie? If so, was Couric’s transition to daytime as seamless as her opening numbers seem to suggest?

1. Jack J. says:

Buh-bye, Ricki.

2. Katie Couric is a great reporter. Keep it going! :)

3. TV Gord says:

I enjoyed Katie. The opening bit with Matt in bed was fun, and the way she came out on stage and immediately engaged the audience was very natural. Of all the shows that started yesterday, I think Katie is the only one I will make a regular habit.

Steve Harvey (I know it premiered last week, but for some reason, the local Detroit affiliate that I get didn’t start it until the 10th) was good, but I’m not really interested in a show about relationships. Still, I was impressed by how his humor helps to get some serious messages through to his audience. For people who like that sort of thing, I think they would enjoy his show.

Jeff Probst gets points for trying to put his own stamp on the talk show world by focusing on adding adventure into our everyday lives, and I might check in from time to time, but it didn’t amount to a show I want to watch every day.

RIcki Lake made no effort to welcome the males in the daytime viewing audience, so I know I won’t be back again. (Note to Ricki: even Oprah, The View and The Talk would always acknowledge that they had male viewers. I’m not saying you’re wrong for making your show exclusively for women, but there’s an audience of men out here watching TV–yes, even in the daytime–and it seems you could use all the viewers you can get!)

• DavidSask says:

I felt the same way of Ricki`s new show was epic fail and insult to men!!! She best make changes fast or she be first to bite the dust as was worst and even females will get sick of crap self empowerment eps. every day!

4. april-ann says:

Nowhere to go but down. Sorry to sound negative, I didn’t even watch. I have always admired and liked Katie Couric but I’ve had enough of daytime talk shows, “information” shows, etc. I still miss my ABC soaps and here it is almost a year since AMC took its final bow!

5. Jared says:

I had high hopes for Ricki Lake..love her personality..but her show was a snoozefest. Very disappointed.

6. DavidSask says:

I was not impressed really but I guess she will be queen bitch to get the celeb interviews first trying to be all new Oprah and trying to be all serious news at same time. I just don`t care for her something screams not genuine. I recorded all premieres today of new talk shows and hated all except surprisingly Anderson Live. I only followed his show short time last year but love the new concept with guest host,,new set. If Anderson does great banter with them and has great guests and show content i will keep him around. The only daytime staple for me otherwise is Y&R and that show we all know has been hell of what was can`t wait for reboot there and hope it succeeds. I also tried to watch this hyped new reboot of General Hospital and not sold on it,still crap, unless they do cliffhanger every day!

• Arlene Roche says:

She used to be my friend — never reached out – it was always about her and she is the most self involved selfish person. ALso, I heard her talk on the phone to coworkers and she was a demanding bitch to everyone. Don’t buy this sweetness stuff, it is all an act.

7. DavidSask says:

PS. Who would have thought the Bethanny Frankell talk show experiment would be better than new Ricky Lake and other new crap talk shows! Is that show dead for good, Fox should buy it instead of 2 hrs of infomercials every afternoon!!!

8. Cathy says:

Sorry, wasn’t impressed. She seemed nervous, very unsure of herself, but what really got me was her voice; for some reason, it just grated on my nerves.

9. Amanda says:

I still think its wrong that they moved GH for a talk show. They could easily have put Katie on at 2:00 instead

• TV Gord says:

As of yesterday, the 3:00 timeslot is no longer programmed by ABC, it’s programmed by each individual station. Katie is syndicated (even though it is produced by ABC), so it can’t go into a network timeslot (which the 2:00 timeslot is).

10. Lisa says:

I wouldn’t watch Katie Couric if she had the only show on TV.

11. Jared says:

Talking about Katie:

First off the set is hideous! There’s about 15 people in the audience and the entire set looks like it was made from plastic! The colors and the theme song were also horrible.

I like Katie and think she’s a great journalist, but I don’t see her as a “daytime” person.

I know it was her first day and she will get a little more natural with more time, but I wasn’t impressed at all. It felt way too forced.

12. Karen says:

I think the only two that will survive are Steve and Katie. In Chicago Katie is up against Ellen and for me I will watch Ellen because I just love her show and I don’t really care for Katie.. didn’t like her on the Today Show either… but if she has a guest that I just have to see I may record and ff to see that guest. I find her sort of plastic and phoney. But there is a ton of money behind the show so I’m sure it will be a huge success. I wasn’t an Oprah watcher either so what do I know, LOL.

13. Matthew C says:

I really wanted Ricki to do well, I like her. I don’t care for Katie and wanted her to fail big time.

14. Toots says:

People only wanted to see what Jessica Simpson looked like.