Fall TV Preview

Glee Video Sneak Peek: New Directions 2.0 Tackles 'Call Me Maybe' – Is It Phoneomenal?

Call them New Directions: The Next Generation.

With Rachel, Finn, Quinn & Co. off blazing new trails, McKinley High’s ladies and gents-in-waiting step into the spotlight in Thursday’s Glee premiere — and we have a sneak peek at their first major test.

RELATED | Exclusive Glee Video — Meet McKinley’s New Mean Girl!

Press PLAY below to watch Tina, Blaine, Brittany and Unique cover Carly Rae Jepsen’s ubiquitous summer anthem “Call Me Maybe,” and then hit the comments with your reviews (in letter-grade form, preferably).

Tags: ,

Comments (53)

• Why’d they have to add Alex Newell to the last… he is terrible.

Comment by L – September 10, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1. Not a fan of the song.
      2. Not a Alex fan, especially in this.
      3. Otherwise, love Blaine, Britanny and Tina.
      4. The choppy filming with the dancing made me dizzy.

Comment by Aren – September 10, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 5. Wonder what Artie really thinks of the performance.
        ^. Britanny is getting so much better at singing.

Comment by Aren – September 10, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally!!
        also, alex is exuding an obnoxious attitude.
        i prob wouldnt like him in real life either.

love the other 3 though!

Comment by Lia – September 10, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alex Newell ruins this songs- he sounds horrible and he can’t dance. All he does is prance and strike a pose.

When will he leave?

Comment by etc – September 10, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was just thinking the same things!

Comment by BigAdam – September 11, 2012 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hard to ruin something that is already inherently garbage.

Comment by Matt – September 11, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t know Mercedes changed her name?

Comment by Justin – September 11, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it!

Comment by dsdsdsd – September 10, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • B

Comment by Emily P – September 10, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine, Brittany and Tina are fantastic! Wade is so overshadowed by them but the other three are adorable and as a performance, Call Me Maybe is great. Did not expect it, they’re so adorable. Sassy Blaine is my favorite, Tina and Brit Brit are rocking it!

Comment by Olivia – September 10, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why is Alex even trying to be the new rachel, he hasn’t even been in New Directions.

Comment by Russ – September 10, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wade? Overshadowed? He outsang Blaine and Brittany by miles. Is this a joke?

Comment by Rod – September 10, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it just doesn’t feel right without everyone else

Comment by kyle – September 10, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already miss Rachel Berry

Comment by April – September 10, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that is terrible. Glad we gave up on that show.

Comment by Brian – September 10, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking good, glad to see Unique there :)

Comment by MikeH – September 10, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Alex/Unique! I totally could feel the number and the group coming together towards the end of it. New Directions 2.0 looks pretty fierce.

Comment by Joe – September 10, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • actually impressed. i can not figure out the popularity of this song but their performance made it more enjoyable. and it seems like heather’s vocals have gotten even stronger.

Comment by murley – September 10, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, Glee, you had your fun. Now joke’s over, bring everyone back ASAP. Also, get rid of wade / unique while you’re at it. Mercedes >>> unique. Always.

Comment by KK – September 10, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that just showed that none of them are up to the task of replacing Rachel.

Comment by Laure – September 10, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the point. It is a contrived set up for Marley Sue to swoop in and wow us all with her amazing talent, amazing personality, amazing everything. And then sing Chasing Pavements in such a way that I don’t think I’ve heard Adele butchered so badly recently. But she’s the awesome new Rachel anyway.

Comment by Olivia – September 10, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You nailed it. She better be good.

Comment by dan – September 10, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its a bit sad for Tina, cause Rachel did say it would be her turn this year… and she WAS an original member… i do love Tina, think shes pretty hot on Berry’s heels. Blaines good too but not sure they have chemistry to pull off dueting… although Artie Tina= winning combo too! not sure i like the idea of a new girl coming in to take Centre stage…. BTW, freaky how much Wade looks like Amber Riley when hes wearing a wig and dress. but in conclusion, there can be no replacement for Miss Rachel Berry!!!

Comment by Megan – September 11, 2012 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t like this kinda cocky New Directions and Alexz is just obnoxious!…I miss so much seen Rachel, Finn, Puck, Santana there with them :(

Comment by Mafer – September 10, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Confirming my decision to cancel the season pass on the DVR…

Comment by Deena – September 10, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, HeMo was pretty awesome in that.

Good to see Alex N. has learnt to deliver dialogue. Oh, wait. No he hasn’t. Going to make sure my mute button on the remote is working before this episode. Damian M. might’ve been useless at lines but at least he had charm instead of sheer obnoxiousness.

Comment by Amy – September 10, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How can someone who was given little to no dialogue be classified as “useless” at delivering lines?….Color me “corn”fused…. If you could see him in venues other than Glee such as 1,000′s of interviews he’s given, speeches (yes, speeches!), performances with the stage show “Celtic Thunder” which he toured with for about 5 years performing at such anonymous little places as the WHITE HOUSE (!!!!) for President Barack Obama (including various U.S Senators, U.S Representatives, and other world-wide dignitaries), Radio City Music Hall in NYC, PBS specials, etc., then you’d have the truth about McGinty’s speaking prowess……Glee perpetuated the MYTH!!! that he can’t be understood due to his accent….Obviously someone in the boardroom at Glee thought the nefarious “don’t let him speak” story line was hilarious and proceeded to render him mute every stinkin’ chance they got…..Or, could the truth of the matter be that they knew a large portion of the audience would love to hear him speak just to hear his Irish accent and that wouldn’t have fit into their plans for the character, Rory, as they intended to kill him off—-plan one since day one…..Oh, yeah….You know it’s true….Poor Mr. Flanagan had one foot in the grave from the first day he walked on set!….As long as I’ve gone this far, I might as well lay all of my cards on the table…. Damian McGinty can sing Alex Newell under the table!….He has a voice that can’t be replicated, sings with heart and soul, and is just plain pleasing to the ears…He also can sing with an ensemble blending in perfectly with harmonies,etc……He knows how to share the spotlight and clearly gets great enjoyment out of interacting with others—just plain loves music—-NOT himself, unlike someone else I could name….Alex, ring a bell?…DING,DING,DING….(Sorry….had to do it)….Not only does Alex love the spotlight but he insists on it!…Alex’s voice is just too shrill and he definitely does not work well in a group setting….Not a voice or personality that can “work” well with others…Guess that was what Murphy had in mind when he morphed Mr. Newell into Unique…..Not much morphing was involved, though, in my opinion….Alex Newell=Unique/a.k.a.Wade Adams! Murphy wanted a diva and he got one…..I can only hope that Murphy will bring back Mr. McGinty and his charm as a counter balance to Alex Newell….They played off each other well in TGP1 (translation: McGinty became Alex’s conscience.) And, by the way, they seem to be friends in real life….So, there’s hope for you yet, Mr. Newell… Murphy needs to tame his zealous pursuit of Unique in the writer’s room and get Alex some vocal coaching to tame that vocal demon of his; and while he’s at it , mandate that Alex spend more time with Damian McGinty (sorry Damian…) in hopes that some of Damian’s humility will rub off on him…Ironically, Damian McGinty (along with Mr. Murphy) has turned out to be Alex Newell’s biggest defender, even though he’s been thrown under the bus repeatedly by Glee in order to spot light Alex Newell. …He’s always speaking up for him and supporting him as a friend and a colleague…..Incredible young man….just incredible …in a thousand different ways…..{P.S. Even though after what I just wrote about Alex Newell you might have concluded that I don’t like him….. I don’t dislike him—-I just like Damian McGinty more and want this whole soap opera that Glee invented regarding him to be washed clean with the truth…..

Comment by Adyn – September 14, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the song and was really looking foward to the glee version, but it totally dissapointed me.

Comment by ssvenjae – September 10, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they went to the school band and said Hey we’re going to have a sing off later if you’re not busy.

Comment by al – September 10, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never watched the show. This looked really good.

A

Comment by SnazzyO – September 10, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s not good
      It’s really pretty bad now

Comment by dessy111 – September 10, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh. Not my favorite. Blaine and Brittany are the bright spots.

Comment by Lacy – September 10, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it a lot better from 1:24 on, but not bad overall.

Comment by Thea – September 10, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • liked brit and blane but the rest…not so much

Comment by chris – September 10, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I surprisingly don’t hate it. Yes, it’s a *terribly* overplayed song and, yes, Alex isn’t the greatest actor. But this new line-up, not to mention this new rivalry angle they have going, seems like it might inject a bit of needed freshness into the show. Let’s see if it carries through the episode, let alone the season…

Comment by Jay Banks (@jthebanks) – September 10, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s nice to see other characters/actors get a chance to perform instead of the overused Rachel

Comment by Patti – September 10, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Odd. Everyone seems to be loving Heather Morris’ singing, but I thought this song showed how obviously weak she is in the vocal department. She will always be a phenomenal dancer, though. I’ll never tire of watching her dance.

Comment by Leah – September 10, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Complete agreement.

Comment by Scott – September 12, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blaine and Tina sound good- B+ for them. Britney reminds me of a so-so karaoke singer but like her dancing so B- for her. Unique brings it down. Alex had a good power voice when he sang last year but I can’t get on board with him being a series regular (not a good actor) and I didn’t like him with this song- C-. B- overall

Comment by Jenny – September 10, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alex is a really great singer, but apart from Joe “dreadlocks guy,” they need to stop using the first season winners/runners-up of The Glee Project. Either that or bring back Lindsay Pearce to show that not all of the winners with long arcs have to be guys.

Oh, this song doesn’t do much for me other than crave for a time when Glee never did “Top 40 songs of the moment.” They could’ve chosen any other appropriate song but this song is out of context for the moment.

Comment by Kalee – September 10, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Blaine, Tina, and Brittany. Wade/Unique not so much.

Looking forward to Thursday’s premiere.

Comment by Kay – September 10, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so glad when Alex didn´t win The Glee Project, his voice is stunning but I didn´t like his personality and attitudes, there is something about him that i just can´t stand and it will be really weird for me to see him in every episode. He was great as Unique in those few episodes in season 3 but I have no desire to see him as a part of New Directions … well, we will see. Anyway, the song is great and Blaine and Brittany are awesome :)

Comment by LuCy – September 11, 2012 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it but I didn’t love it. I think that “the new Rachel” should really be a competition between Tina & Blaine. I’ve always loved Brittany but holy autotune! Wade/Unique meh, Mercedes wannabe 2.0 always vying for the head position but only really coming up short. However, I am excited for how this season will turn out :)

Comment by Lyle – September 11, 2012 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounded horrible!

Comment by M. – September 11, 2012 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aww. I missed them.
    I didn’t realize how much.

Comment by bbs – September 11, 2012 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only one I miss is Puck. But apart from that this is horrible.

Comment by Petra – September 11, 2012 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Alex LOST the GLEE Project! He “won” two episodes…What a diss for the co-winners…

Comment by Jeff – September 11, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was revolting. Way to make a terrible song even worse, by having a “teenage” boy who looks more like Nell Carter and a bunch of KidzBoppers singing it.

F

Comment by B – September 11, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who needs Rachel! This is awesome!!! (Don’t get me wrong I still love her and all the others who graduated… I just wasn’t sure what to expect with them all gone. Turns out they’re still as awesome!!!) Looking foward to thursday!!!

Comment by Binx – September 11, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO I DON’T THINK SO, the song IT’S TIME is the phenomena ‘coz original version by Imagine Dragon’s are charting up again on Billboard so as their album

Comment by klainersgonnaklaine – September 14, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post